• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
This is unacceptable from Capcom. Their first mistake is hiring a white person to voice a black person which is a minor problem imo. The second one and the crux of this thread is that they didn't do any research on the actor who is literally a racis transphobic person. Combine the first with the second one and you have a big shitstorm.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the dude's voice acting goes back like 4 decades.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0131436/

They probably just put out a casting call and found a veteran voice actor that killed it in the role.

Not defending him, just pointing out how Capcom could have gone about hiring him. Think about any job you've been hired for, unless you need security clearence for some reason background checks aren't usually a thing and they certainly wouldn't pick up your obscene youtube channel with videos with 3k views.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2-3 years, with no video being posted in the last 2 years either. No idea when Capcom would've done any kind of check on him before hiring him.

Edit: Specifically the two videos in the OP were posted in March and April of 2016.
I see. I don't know when Capcom sign contracts for this stuff but considering there had to be a lot of mocap in the game it could go either way. Regardless, it isn't a good look, but the game is out, the trailers have already been viewed by millions, and Morrison is only really in the game for about seven minutes tops, so unfortunately it's unlikely they'll do anything about him in the main game. Best course of action is to just not work with him ever again, maybe recasting him if they ever do a remaster.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I haven't watched the videos (I don't want YouTube's algorithm to interpret my morbid curiosity as endorsement and clog up my recommended feed with trash) but how far are these dated back? In the case of the original Subhuman lead singer, I think Capcom made a point that those allegations weren't present (or at least widely known) by the time he was hired. Considering DMC5 has been in development for a long time - January 2016 at earliest - I wonder whether or not this guy's more controversial shit wasn't readily known when Capcom decided to hire him. It's possible this is all yet another in a long string of shit luck, though I wouldn't put it passed this being negligence either.
The Joey Camen videos are from March 2016 onwards so I doubt they would have done voice casting that early on into development.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was the guy who voiced Jet in the Bebop dub... Holy shit...
Dude, I wish. Beau Billingslea is an awesome VA, and he actually did some anime and game (AC7) work fairly recently (though he's 75 at this point!).

Imdb is listing him as the voice of Barret in FFVIIR, which is sick if true.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom really needs to get better about vetting who they hire. It's not like people have had to dig deep to find this stuff.

You've basically got 15 years of video game voice acting experience including Skylanders, Command and Conquer, Saints Row and Hitman, or you have a 200 subscriber Youtube channel. We know employers are checking young people's social media feeds before hiring them but I'm not surprised they didn't check a senior of the profession.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean the dude's voice acting goes back like 4 decades.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0131436/

They probably just put out a casting call and found a veteran voice actor that killed it in the role.

Not defending him, just pointing out how Capcom could have gone about hiring him. Think about any job you've been hired for, unless you need security clearence for some reason background checks aren't usually a thing and they certainly wouldn't pick up your obscene youtube channel with videos with 3k views.
You've basically got 15 years of video game voice acting experience including Skylanders, Command and Conquer, Saints Row and Hitman, or you have a 200 subscriber Youtube channel. We know employers are checking young people's social media feeds before hiring them but I'm not surprised they didn't check a senior of the profession.
How would have they gone about hiring a white voice actor for a black character, though? That initial decision right there was wrong. Capcom are no slouch in the VA department so they should have known black voice actors they could have brought for the role.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How would have they gone about hiring a white voice actor for a black character, though? That initial decision right there was wrong. Capcom are no slouch in the VA department so they should have known black voice actors they could have brought for the role.
In the anime, Morrison was white, so it's possible that they weren't initially casting the role for a black character in mind... though having said that, changing the character's race - especially if it was off the back of this guy's performance - would arguably be worse if that were the case.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would have they gone about hiring a white voice actor for a black character, though?

Because that's the industry standard atm.

We don't have to like it and we can certainly complain to get it changed, but it's not like this is some anomaly in voice acting, I can name maybe 5 non-white voice actors I know of off the top of my head in the video game industry atm.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what the law would be (in the UK). For full time positions I don't think you're allowed to check facebook, twitter etc...contracts and contractors probably get less rights/protections/legaleese though.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
User Banned (5 days): Trolling; dismissing concerns over representation
I wonder if the people who are always so willing to post the Brokeback Mountain slide in every DmC thread will just just as eager to bring this to attention in every DMCV thread.

Jan 2, 2018
Date's VA was defending Vic Mignonga and dismissing BLM/MeToo in an interview recently too
He didn't defended him,he didn't know what was even happening with him and he made that very clear.
He was talking about his experience with the guy which is fine because that was just his expreince. he didn't defended his actions at all.

Seriously,why even write something like that?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's not a good look for Capcom.

Though on another note I thought Nico was a PoC? I didn't think she was white anyway.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the people who are always so willing to post the Brokeback Mountain slide in every DmC thread will just just as eager to bring this to attention in every DMCV thread.
They won't, but to be fair that was a deliberate thing done by the developers compared to this which was probably just being unaware that a voice actor was a shitty person.
I knew Reuben Langdon was a Literal Actual Fucking Crazy Person who goes on boat tours to preach about UFOs abducting people, but ooooooffffff:

Please tell me JYB is a good person.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. This thread will give me nightmares (seriously, I liked Langdon when I didn't know anything about him).

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
They won't, but to be fair that was a deliberate thing done by the developers compared to this which was probably just being unaware that a voice actor was a shitty person.

Please tell me JYB is a good person.
How could they be unaware? That seems extremely unlikely considering their lead voice actor is a proud Trump supporting American. At this point the evidence seems point to towards they either don't care or actively choose these types of people.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's just gross. It's easy to see how they didn't know. Minor actor for a small role, long career so less reason to doubt his work, obscure channel. But it's still incredibly disappointing that they didn't make the effort to check. Or if they did, that they still decided to go with his performance. (Which would be even worse, but we have no way of knowing) To think I really liked Morrison's voice acting too. He's even a style announcer. They should replace his performance ASAP, even if the game is out and it will take some time.

That's your first concern going into this thread?

How could they be unaware? That seems extremely unlikely considering their lead voice actor is a proud Trump supporting American. At this point the evidence seems point to towards they either don't care or actively choose these types of people.

For all of Reuben's many egregious flaws, as far as I know, he's not a Trump supporter.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's interesting you think these things are remotely comparable. One is intentional homophobia on the part of a developer. The other is a company failing to vet a single VA--an oversight, not a calculated move intended to officially represent the game.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Capcom was passed this kinda stuff since SF2 to be honest.

This is fucked.

EDIT: It seems some of this stuff was missable though by Capcom I guess. That said it is really weird how many questionable folk are in DMCV.

Last edited:

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
That's just gross. It's easy to see how they didn't know. Minor actor for a small role, long career so less reason to doubt his work, obscure channel. But it's still incredibly disappointing that they didn't make the effort to check. Or if they did, that they still decided to go with his performance. (Which would be even worse, but we have no way of knowing) To think I really liked Morrison's voice acting too. He's even a style announcer. They should replace his performance ASAP, even if the game is out and it will take some time.

That's your first concern going into this thread?

For all of Reuben's many egregious flaws, as far as I know, he's not a Trump supporter.
Trump support is built into qanon

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
When I heard the character talk in DMC5, I knew it wasn't really a black person talking. Too cliché.

Apr 16, 2018
Capcom being racially insensitive isn't anything new or unexpected and I don't expect them to learn or try to do better.

Reuben Langdon turning out to be a shithead is hilarious, though. Won't shed a tear if he isn't called on for the next game.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
This is honestly disgusting.

1. Why didn't they hire a black voice actor? There are black actors/voice actors out there struggling for work with real talent and they are getting ignored for no reason at all.

2. Did they not think to check his videos before hiring anyway? Like surely you would do a background check?

This isn't just a "bad look" for Capcom it's downright disgraceful quite frankly.

Have any of the gaming press reported on this yet?

Last edited:

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Capcom being racially insensitive isn't anything new or unexpected and I don't expect them to learn or try to do better.

Reuben Langdon turning out to be a shithead is hilarious, though. Won't shed a tear if he isn't called on for the next game.

You're nuts to think Capcom would retire the voice of Dante and Ken because of his Twitter feed. Langdon being crazy has been a known trait for how long now?

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell Capcom. I thought Morrison was black, but something did feel off.

Why wouldn't we? We aren't playing a game here on "who's the most offensive".
Fuck off with this nonsense.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
In this case, Nadine wasn't a black character until after Bailey was cast according to interviews.
There's also Avdol from JoJo, who's voiced by Chris Tergliafera (a white guy) in the English dub. A white guy voicing a black character isn't the problem. The voice actor being a racist, transphobic, antisemitic asshole is the problem.

Oct 25, 2017
This game has some monkey paw shit going on.
First the Subhuman vocalist and now this.

I assumed he was a legacy character from the older games whose character they understandably didn't want to replace when I first watched a playthrough and wondered about the weird voiceacting. Guess not? And yeah, his voicelines were not great; that's on both the VA and script I think.

I've generally been bummed about the portrayal of non-white people in games and anime, and speaking of Capcom, I was disappointed to see that Ada's voice actress wasn't Chinese either. The VA apparently voiced her in "Resident Evil: Damnation", too, whatever that is. At least she and Capcom did an otherwise good job with the character.
Yep, Morrison sounded weird from the start. But I just thought he was a meh VA.
I mean, Marvin from RE2 was great after all. So it didn't cross my mind that this would happen.
And as much as I'm annoyed with him not being black, I can let that slide. What I can't let slide is this shit behaviour being rewarded.
Glad Morrison wasn't a big part of the game, if DMC6 comes around and he's involved,they must recast him to make amends.

Last edited:

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I assumed he was a legacy character from the older games whose character they understandably didn't want to replace when I first watched a playthrough and wondered about the weird voiceacting. Guess not? And yeah, his voicelines were not great; that's on both the VA and script I think.

I've generally been bummed about the portrayal of non-white people in games and anime, and speaking of Capcom, I was disappointed to see that Ada's voice actress wasn't Chinese either. The VA apparently voiced her in "Resident Evil: Damnation", too, whatever that is. At least she and Capcom did an otherwise good job with the character.