• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying their games because i love 'em. Despite their somewhat disappointing Switch support when it comes to newer games they remain one of my favorite devs. They port a lot of old games to the system and most of them seem to be quality ports of great games. Damn they even could stop completely supporting the system and it wouldn't change my mind. But that won't be happening with the kind of sales they get on the system.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
I'm buying their games because i love 'em. Despite their somewhat disappointing Switch support when it comes to newer games they remain one of my favorite devs. They port a lot of old games to the system and most of them seem to be quality ports of great games. Damn they even could stop completely supporting the system and it wouldn't change my mind. But that won't be happening with the kind of sales they get on the system.
As always for Capcom to redeem themselves in my eyes is to update and port wii monster hunter to switch

Oct 27, 2017
All three years are really bad for Xbox... and really make you wonder why they don't put more effort on Switch. Wonder how the PC numbers would look if they included digital sales.
Porting a PS4 game to Xbox is a no brained vs trying to get stuff like dmcv or MHW onto switch. Essentially what they would need to do is build switch exclusive games vs port PS4/pc games to Xbox.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Porting a PS4 game to Xbox is a no brained vs trying to get stuff like dmcv or MHW onto switch. Essentially what they would need to do is build switch exclusive games vs port PS4/pc games to Xbox.

Yo, I heard this weird rumour that you can build games for Switch and port them to PS4/PC/XBO. Don't know how true it is.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
pretty clear cut what needs to happen. cut all of switch and xbox spending and make everything ps4 exclusive.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
That's cool and all, but where's the rest of the Onimusha remasters?
In licensing hell, I guess.

maxresdefault.jpg

2115767-box_onimusha2.png

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
As always for Capcom to redeem themselves in my eyes is to update and port wii monster hunter to switch
I can see that. But after playing Monster Hunter World i'm finally done with the series. I just can't do the grind anymore. It was a nice journey beginning with Freedom Unite on the PSP and MH3U and MH4U on the 3DS. I still hope they will do a game on the Switch for the fans.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I would say the reason the rest of Onimusha entries have not been released yet is because the first one sold very bad, barely 300.000 units between 4 platforms. I can understand why it did not sell because the first Onimusha game feels very dated.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
They have in previous fiscal years, with the exception of MHW (which is supposedly a PS4 console exclusive in Asian markets). Even MvCI got an XB1 SKU in Japan.

I don't think MvCI got a physical release in Japan.

The last two games I can think of are DMC5 and RE7 (plus Revelations 2, DR3 and 4).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These numbers are very interesting and especially when the Swich in particular is 3 years old, more even, and I'm like 99.9% sure that Capcpom have not even managed to ship one physical game per year on that platform for the UK/Europe, considering that Mega Man 11 was not and that the RE4/5/6 collection was not either and they're like the 2 most interesting things Capcpom have made for it since MHGU, which amazingly was not digital only.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I would say the reason the rest of Onimusha entries have not been released yet is because the first one sold very bad, barely 300.000 units between 4 platforms. I can understand why it did not sell because the first Onimusha game feels very dated.

Well, I can't imagine they expected a remaster of Onimusha to sell a million. It was always going to be very niche.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I mean, if you're making of a game for PS4 there is literally 0 reason not to reason not to release it on Xbox as it's basically free money. That will be the same next gen too

Porting games to other platforms can actually cost a lot of money for some developers. However, one thing Capcom has done is really bolster their compliance and multiplatform tools it seems, so they have less trouble than other people to support multiple platforms. I think what honestly helps them is their staggered approach - PS4 and Xbox first then PC then a Switch port for some stuff.

That spaced out timing allows it to look effortless when they are managing to get all those ports done just through good project management.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your on a forum that overwhelmingly hates the idea of cross gen games yet your asking for ports of switch games for next gen

I'm just pointing out it's a false dichotomy, but I will say I don't care what this forum thinks.

Why would they build games for switch as the base though and not PS4 which then also allows them to cheaply port to X1 and PC?

Do you think it's expensive to port a Switch game to PS4/XBO/PC?

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
So this mean Capcom is gonna take the Nintendo Swich seriously, right......right?

When your minimum efforts are rewarded that is not an incentive to improve. If anything these figures reinforces Capcom's strategy regarding Nintendo Switch. Although judging by the amount of new sku's they are planning for this fiscal year (13 in total) they don't seem to have anything else planned for Nintendo Switch.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Porting a game to any other console, or hell, even releasing a PC version can be very expensive. On PC you have to do rounds of compatibility testing and on other consoles you have to go through compliance checks, nevermind all of the bugs that can pop up due to the new platform.

A cost/benefit analysis is always run before deciding to bring a game to a platform and sometimes the risk just isn't worth it. Not to mention certain consoles did or do not support certain game design decisions.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Those Switch sales are interesting considering the quality of their output lol, maybe it'll inspire them to put in a little more effort.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just pointing out it's a false dichotomy, but I will say I don't care what this forum thinks.

Well, it's cheaper to do an up port than an downport. So by doing this, you release on all systems by targeting the least common denominator.
Of course, "BUT IT WOuLD HOlD BAcK OUR GaMez", obviously...

But wouldn't you advocate for starting the games on phones then and really target everyone. Also the Switch came out 3 years after the PS4 why would they totally abandon their developmental pipeline that has been highly successful for them to start making games with Switch as a base. Now if going forward they start with Switch as a base and port to PS5/X1 I can see the argument for that since Switch would be the most established platform of the three. But I can also see that they would want to compete with other AAA 3rd parties and just move over to having PS5 being their new base development platform.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Porting a game to any other console, or hell, even releasing a PC version can be very expensive. On PC you have to do rounds of compatibility testing and on other consoles you have to go through compliance checks, nevermind all of the bugs that can pop up due to the new platform.

A cost/benefit analysis is always run before deciding to bring a game to a platform and sometimes the risk just isn't worth it. Not to mention certain consoles did or do not support certain game design decisions.

Right but porting from Switch to (PS4)/XBO/PC is not going to be a notably expensive endeavour in comparison to porting from PS4 to XBO/PC. All those compliancy checks will happen regardless. PS4/XBO are not identical hardware after all.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
1.2 million Switch games sold is really impressive, considering they were nothing but decades old ports. People don't even care about Capcom's stupid pricing policy.