• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Capcom is doing really, really well right now. They just reported their third straight consecutive year of profits during a time when they only released one major game (Monster Hunter World: Iceborne). RE2, DMC5, and sales of base MW and Iceborne contributed.

This is a pretty big deal. Here's some quick figures from Capcom's FY2019 earnings:

• Net sales - $767.3 million (¥22.827 billion) down 18.4% YoY
  • Operating Income - $214.70 million (¥22.827 billion) up 25.8% YoY
  • Total Profits - $150.13 million (¥15.949 billion) up 27.1% YoY

BaI7BXH.png

Capcom's current FY guidance is also exciting. They expect profits to rise even further. This would be their fourth straight year of record numbers:

ZDJrh4R.png

Could this mean big things are on the horizon? Maybe RE8 on next-gen?

Capcom has sent signals they're working on next-gen titles and confirmed RE Engine will be future-proof to power PS5/Xbox Series X games.

On the flip side, net sales will only be up slightly to ¥85 billion, which is lower than the ¥100.3 billion they earned in FY2018, a period that included MonHun World, RE2's Remake and DMC5.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Maybe RE8 on next-gen?
I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if it's cross-gen, but if they're expecting huge profits in the upcoming FY, why would next-gen really factor in? Even in the best case scenario of an extremely high attach rate and a recovering world economy, they're looking at low production numbers that aren't comparable to existing install bases.

Bigger profits are probably more dependent on current gen for the next year.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Thank goodness. I remember those horrible rumors of Capcom being bought.
Hope this beautiful trends continues.

OP
OP
Deeke

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if it's cross-gen, but if they're expecting huge profits in the upcoming FY, why would next-gen really factor in? Even in the best case scenario of an extremely high attach rate and a recovering world economy, they're looking at low production numbers that aren't comparable to existing install bases.

Bigger profits are probably more dependent on current gen for the next year.

Yeah it'd be cross-gen for sure. Capcom could make a spectacle with a next-gen version (or next-gen upgrades, however they handle it).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean Capcom at this point is basically Monster Hunter, DMC, and Street Fighter. So we have RE8 we know planned probably early next year. Take your pick of which of these other franchises we'll see next.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust them, they have a history of shit tier output at the beginning of a Gen.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Monster Hunter World 2 would be so easy to make and cash in on big time.

4K assets are ready to go. Reuse all MHW areas and monsters and armors
Create 2 or 3 new areas and around 10 monsters
Revamp the multiplayer experience to include shared cut scenes
New story around the 2-3 new areas
DLC roadmap

Sure it would basically be MHW DLC in terms of fresh content but people will buy it for the 4K, the new content, and the QoL features. I bet Capcom could get this out in year 1 of next gen since so much is already done. They could also sell it as the highest monster count ever.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Capcom at this point is basically Monster Hunter, DMC, and Street Fighter. So we have RE8 we know planned probably early next year. Take your pick of which of these other franchises we'll see next.
They could definitely make a new IP with all that serious money they've been making. Or dare I say....revive older IP's like....Dino crisis!

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I took a deep dive into their financials. One tid bit I noticed was their emphasis on digital content, to the point that it was implied that due to corona virus that if they have to release a game digital only they will. It seemed hinted at. There was a lot of cool stuff. Really like how they focused on putting women in management positions.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming their next fighting game is on the horizon. Can't wait to see what it is (probably SF6).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter is a given, I can't even think of the last fiscal year without some sort of MH release for them.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'm still very much satisfied with Iceborne right now, but I can see Capcom going further in on having something Monster Hunter every FY. Personally still expect a Switch entry, would do gangbusters in Japan alone.
Would also be pretty cool to have MH on the go with (hopefully) similar or the same QOL improvements from World; going back to MHGU can be quite jarring sometimes.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
RE3
RE8 Cross Gen
Street Fighter 6
Marvel vs Capcom Collection

Dunno what else has been talked about
There's a Mega Man game confirmed to be in development, but we don't know when it'll come out. SFVI being speculated as coming next year is based on what Capcom was planning for the CPT going into 2021, & the MvC Collection is pure speculation (though its existence wouldn't surprise me).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
They could definitely make a new IP with all that serious money they've been making. Or dare I say....revive older IP's like....Dino crisis!

I don't think they really invest in new IPs anymore. When was the last one. Dragon's Dogma...I guess? Which was 2012. They could revive an old IP, but they don't really seem interested in that much, either, for whatever reason. Onimusha HD remaster I assumed was hinting at something, but I seem to recall it being said there was no actual plans for the franchise. So, I don't know, I think it's pretty much those four for the foreseeable future. Maybe MVC4 if they get the license again.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm gonna guess...
  • Major Games
    1. Resident Evil 3 Remake
    2. Resident Evil 8: Village
    3. Street Fighter VI*
    4. Monster Hunter Switch*
  • Mid-Tier Game
    • Mega Man X9
* = This game could be pushed out of the fiscal year by a few months.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they really invest in new IPs anymore. When was the last one. Dragon's Dogma...I guess? Which was 2012. They could revive an old IP, but they don't really seem interested in that much, either, for whatever reason. Onimusha HD remaster I assumed was hinting at something, but I seem to recall it being said there was no actual plans for the franchise. So, I don't know, I think it's pretty much those four for the foreseeable future. Maybe MVC4 if they get the license again.
The crazy fan in me wants to see Deep Down brought back to life. But then again...it'll be a big risk for Capcom, especially if it doesn't reach their expectations.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember when their finances weren't doing so good in the late 90s and early 2000s. Good to see them doing so well now

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Excited to see what the future brings but i'm really hoping for some exclusive switch content. I'll be happy to take ports/remasters of classic games but an all new monster hunter on switch would get me pumped.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom says that Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC) delivered solid sales.

For those of you who are experts at reading Capcom's press release notes, in a scale from 1 to 10 how do you think they measure Monster Hunter World: Iceborne sales performance?