• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft did mention wanting to buy a Japanese studio...

That would be quite epic on the forums if that happened but I said long ago they should try and get Capcom since they have many IP's but Japan would try and block it. It would also be another piece to try and get Game Pass out there to more people. However Microsoft doesn't appear interested in large acquisitions like that.

If it was Nintendo related Capcom wouldn't have come to the US but rather stayed in Japan to discuss business. Pretty sure it's Microsoft.

Some seem to forget where most decisions still come from.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why would they visit Nintendo of American instead of NCL?

My bet is MS.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe a console exclusive for Microsoft? Perhaps Scalebound is being resurrected, or Dragon's Dogma 2 is co-funded by Microsoft. I don't think I would like to see Microsoft acquiring them, SEGA is probably a cheaper and more diverse option.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Major japanese companies won't abandon their country and develop to a console no one owns there.

This wishful thinking in every thread is really fun to see tho
Microsoft will allow development on other platforms, I don't think that issue exists for them. Capcom has also removed safeguards a couple years ago, also I think if Capcom was bought by Microsoft, they would keep the branding intact and sell the Xbox as a Capcom console in Japan. It would likely sell millions there if that was the case.

It's not really wishful thinking for me, I just think it makes a lot of sense for both companies, there is a lot of overlap between Microsoft's user base and Capcom's IPs, not to mention that Switch has seen a lot of titles from Microsoft hit it's platform, so Capcom wouldn't be left out of Japan. Microsoft is willing to spend billions and Capcom likes billions, both would benefit greatly and lastly Capcom could focus on game development and not business, that is a big benefit to someone like Capcom, who traditionally likes to push technology and not worry about pleasing share holders, though they had a big turn around the last couple years, they were hurting a few years ago, and they would not be in any risk of that ever happening again.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Microsoft will allow development on other platforms, I don't think that issue exists for them. Capcom has also removed safeguards a couple years ago, also I think if Capcom was bought by Microsoft, they would keep the branding intact and sell the Xbox as a Capcom console in Japan. It would likely sell millions there if that was the case.

Capcom is a big publisher, MS only bought small devs till now. I think the biggest was Obsidian with 170 employees, Capcom has 2.000.

Also they are not in financial trouble, far from that.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is a big publisher, MS only bought small devs till now. I think the biggest was Obsidian with 170 employees, Capcom has 2.000.

Also they are not in financial trouble, far from that.
I didn't suggest they were in any financial trouble. Unlike other companies, Capcom opens Japan to Microsoft, a publisher as big as Capcom in Japan would be needed if Microsoft starts selling millions of consoles there and with the Capcom brand behind their xbox console, it might do that well. Think about it this way, if you have billions of dollars to burn on game studio acquisitions, would you keep buying double fine size studios, or now go after a big purchase that opens you up to one of the biggest gaming markets in the world, as well as fill out your IP library in a way that reaches every segment of the market you aren't already in. Capcom is a big fish, and a perfect fit for Microsoft, though I'm not saying that it is a sure thing, just that both of these companies would gain heavily from this.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I didn't suggest they were in any financial trouble. Unlike other companies, Capcom opens Japan to Microsoft, a publisher as big as Capcom in Japan would be needed if Microsoft starts selling millions of consoles there and with the Capcom brand behind their xbox console, it might do that well. Think about it this way, if you have billions of dollars to burn on game studio acquisitions, would you keep buying double fine size studios, or now go after a big purchase that opens you up to one of the biggest gaming markets in the world, as well as fill out your IP library in a way that reaches every segment of the market you aren't already in. Capcom is a big fish, and a perfect fit for Microsoft, though I'm not saying that it is a sure thing, just that both of these companies would gain heavily from this.

I don't think MS wants to spend "billions of dollars" in acquisitions, and if they want they would go after EA, Ubisoft, Take Two, and other studios that are much more popular than Capcom. Their priority is the West.

But let's wait and see.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think MS wants to spend "billions of dollars" in acquisitions, and if they want they would go after EA, Ubisoft, Take Two, and other studios that are much more popular than Capcom. Their priority is the West.

But let's wait and see.
Those companies already release all of their games on Microsoft's consoles and I agree we need to wait and see, but just 2 things real quick.

1. Microsoft bought Minecraft for 2.5 Billion dollars. (Capcom's current market cap is worth just over 2 Billion, but even double that, it's more valuable to Microsoft considering the Japanese market should open up with such a purchase).

2. What is the most exciting purchase Microsoft could make?

Last edited:

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
RE Engine Street Fighter VI...set after SFIII, crossplay with everything...

(A man can hope...)

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Those companies already release all of their games on Microsoft's consoles and I agree we need to wait and see, but just 2 things real quick.

1. Microsoft bought Minecraft for 2.5 Billion dollars. (Capcom's current market cap is worth just over 2 Billion, but even double that, it's more valuable to Microsoft considering the Japanese market should open up with such a purchase).

2. What is the most exciting purchase Microsoft could make?
Please drop this discussion, it's going nowhere and only creates console war in the end.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Maybe a console exclusive for Microsoft? Perhaps Scalebound is being resurrected, or Dragon's Dogma 2 is co-funded by Microsoft. I don't think I would like to see Microsoft acquiring them, SEGA is probably a cheaper and more diverse option.
Microsoft isn't going to buy the entirety of SEGA (which is much bigger than just videogames) unless they plan to go hard on the Pachinko market. Deals between Cacpom / SEGA and Xbox could be possible though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Dev 1? It's not Nintendo related, they only do PS360 remasters for Switch. Maybe they'll port RE Engine for NX2 though and keep the old port train going nextgen.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Please drop this discussion, it's going nowhere and only creates console war in the end.
I don't really think it's a console war topic, since Microsoft has been willing to publish on other platforms now, including Minecraft on the PS4. It's not a topic I started either, I'm just adding to it, feel free to ignore it if it bothers you though.
Ironically, I feel like that could actually somewhat improve Capcom's Nintendo support at this point.
Honestly, I think that is exactly what would happen lol.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
What's interesting to me is, this is a photo from a downtown Seattle building, not from Redmond or Bellevue. Nobody stays in Seattle hotels to do Bellevue business. Hmmmmmmm.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
That specific picture is firmly in Amazon land. As far as I know there aren't any major Microsoft or Nintendo offices anywhere near there. And if it's a hotel or air bnb it's going to be insanely expensive, so I'd rule that out. There's also major google and facebook offices nearby.

While that is clearly Amazon land, As you mentioned MS, Google and Facebook all have massive amount of office space in that area. MS specifically (I used to work in a building where MS owned 6-7 floors)

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
testMap.jpg

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
My guess would actually be a visit to Google or one of the other streaming companies. MS isn't buying Capcom, because it doesn't fit the pattern

Oct 25, 2017
I always do wonder, what actually happens at Nintendo of America? Do they focus on one aspect of the company? Are major deals only accomplished in Japan?

You can get a good indication of what NOA does here:

So a lot of marketing and retail support but also an amount of software development within NST and NTD.

There is a role for business development with game developers currently listed there as well.

They even look to do aspects of security research.

So they're not just an extension of NCL that purely does retail and marketing, whereas they may have been more like that in the past.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
google-expansion-W.jpg

Google is not yet in Downtown Seattle (I believe they were opening one of the campuses by 2019. though. Currently they were in Kirkland and Fremont.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You can get a good indication of what NOA does here:

So a lot of marketing and retail support but also an amount of software development within NST and NTD.

There is a role for business development with game developers currently listed there as well.

They even look to do aspects of security research.

So they're not just an extension of NCL that purely does retail and marketing, whereas they may have been more like that in the past.

Thanks for explaining that.