• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
From what most of the East Coast top players say from playing with Metro, alot of them have played him without issue, while others have big problems.

I wouldn't assume any bad faith on Metro's part. The problem could literally be anything; a hardware issue, an ISP problem on his particular area, a particular scenario that the netcode is ill equiped to deal with, etc...

Since the problem occurs usually with the same players, i suspect it's the last one i mentioned.
Idom's and Metro's connections are resulting in a match with latency that fluctuates between values that the netcode is not programmed to handle correctly.
What character did he use?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
A new console isn't going to solve this, so get off that horse.

The netcode is bad in almost all fighting games, plain and simple.

As for this case, Metro has a documented history of bad connection quality. Consistently. Way too often.
This is why I'm looking to a new gen to at least improve this.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
We had better netcode during the 360/PS3 era. So no. Get off that horse. It's lazy devs.
I hate that term, but disappointing if true. I played SFV ranked and I would say my experience was better than SF4, but I don't have a wide opinion as I didn't get into many fighting games this gen. Just SFV and Smash really.,

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that term, but disappointing if true. I played SFV ranked and I would say my experience was better than SF4, but I don't have a wide opinion as I didn't get into many fighting games this gen. Just SFV and Smash really.,
Sadly, it has been infuriating to see AAA fighting games with crap netcode, and the response especially from Japan devs has been like as if they didn't care. Like they did not want to implement GGPO, or even rollback in some cases, and they double down on using their internal netcode.

Smash's netcode suffers from being developed by Bamco, and Tekken 7 doesn't exactly have good netcode. But Smash's netcode is one of the worst offenders ever.

DBFZ? Ayy.

It has been mostly western devs that either work on ports or original games with good netcode. Heck, Killer Instinct has good netcode this gen. Same with Power Rangers BFTG.

Skullgirls and Them Fighting Herds share the engine, and also share Netcode.

It's sad that it took a global pandemic to bring this issue to the forefront, with no offline tournaments to distract from this.

A few of Garou's ports recently got rollback netcode, so it can be retrofitted.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
What games had better netcode during the 360/PS3 era?
It's... I want to say hilarious but it's just sad: you can have a better online tournament with no, or almost none, netcode issues using Marvel vs Capcom 2, a port using 2009 GGPO that has been delisted since 2013, than SFV in 2020.

And MvC2 is waaaay faster than Street Fighter.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Taking multiple command grabs is the name of the game in SFV. I watch iDom's stream regularly and things like that always happen; he never ragequits. He's not a sore loser. The framing of this thread is quite stupid.

Thank you. Was reading the OP and was like "...what is with this weird narrative that iDom is some sort of baby?"