• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
The roll out for the update seemed to be poorly planned for PC users, but at least they seemed to have corrected it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Great, if you sell a game that runs on weaker machines don't just take it away

Uzzy

Gabeā€™s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Good that they've added these back, but damn they'd have saved themselves a headache if they just included them in the first place.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Great, if you sell a game that runs on weaker machines don't just take it away

MarriedShortGalapagossealion-size_restricted.gif

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The update is pretty buggy and the update makes it unplayable for some older, but still viable, systems. Good move by Capcom.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
This always felt like the way to go. Many other games do it exactly like this, by simply keeping a beta branch of the game available for ever. It takes almost no effort and solves every issue.

Dec 23, 2017
Weird that Capcom would put themselves in this position.

You don't force an upgrade patch like that. Always make the previous version available as a beta branch.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Great! Glad Capcom listened!

This is the best solution. For some PCs, the new stuff works better, for others, the old stuff works better.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
I wonder why they just didn't make it a new entry. Would've been the best option. The games have an amazing modding community and the mods (including the fantastic vr conversion) require the old version (or be adapted) and having seperate entry's would've made it significantly better solution. Now I have "reinstall" the version I want and can't quickly switch between them.

Absolutely not, I don't need more duplicated games in my library.

I assume you didn't know but you can just hide entrys. It would've been an obvious and significantly better solution than this beta branch. Now you can only have one versions installed at any time (especially annoying for vr and mods). I'm not looking forward to rename my game files and having to verify the game again (if that is even possible) whenever I decide to try out the new version.

Last edited:

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I can't believe people on this forum said it was unreasonable to complain about Capcom forcing an update because we can't expect them to support old hardware forever and the new version would work with most hardware.

Anyone could have seen this as a not exceptionally unlikely outcome. New builds of games always seem to break shit on PC.

Anyway the evil was defeated I guess.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What about consoles? How do the games perform on PS5 and Series X with the graphical upgrades?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, and I do, but it is ridiculous to ask literally every player to do this for the benefit of the dozens who would play both versions. 99.999% of the people will want to play only one of the two.

the definition of "ridiculous" has certainly changed over the years
lots of games keep the old version as a seperate library entry, much simpler especially if you dont follow news like this.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Cant you just put sliders for these in options?
Graphics API is not a slider. Though language nitpicks aside, for a lot of engines especially this isn't something you can just have an option for either as they are designed in a way where the executable is only built with one or another (they don't co-exist). Not even idTech has graphics API as an option anymore, that was last seen in idTech2.

Edit: Though curiously, I've just discovered it used to already be an option. So why they needed to remove it just for ray tracing is anyone's guess at this point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I can't believe people on this forum said it was unreasonable to complain about Capcom forcing an update because we can't expect them to support old hardware forever and the new version would work with most hardware.

Anyone could have seen this as a not exceptionally unlikely outcome. New builds of games always seem to break shit on PC.

Anyway the evil was defeated I guess.

In my time here I've unfortunately come to learn that no matter what a company does, someone will defend it.

It was a bit funny that the loudmouthed defenders in the previous thread all disappeared when the update came out and our predictions came true.

Yes, and I do, but it is ridiculous to ask literally every player to do this for the benefit of the dozens who would play both versions. 99.999% of the people will want to play only one of the two.

The only ridiculous thing I see is making such a big fuss about something as minor as this. 99.999% of people might only need one version of the game, but I'd be surprised if even a minute fraction of those people really care that there's another entry in their Steam library. Even less of that minute fraction of people will likely kick up a fuss about having to hide the library entry if they don't want to see it.

It's just not a big deal. Not even a little deal, actually.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden

Oh please, it should be as easy as possible for the end user to pick the version they want to play. "Hiding" the DX11-version like this means most people probably won't know it still exists. Two versions is the best solution.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
It's just not a big deal at all.
Oh I agree, it wouldn't be a big deal either way. But this remains my favorite solution.

-edit-

I should mention that another problem with the two versions is that some players use a desktop shortcut to launch games, and those would be playing the old version forever, not noticing that there is a better version somewhere else in their account.

And sure, it isn't going to happen much, but I'd guess it is a far more likely scenario than the player who bought the old version and can't run the new one but also can't figure out how to make it work again.

Last edited:

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
best thing is to do launch options, dx11 or 12. seen plenty of other titles do the same
The pre-RT updates do this, you can choose DX11 or 12. I'm guessing it was removed in the recent release as it's based on a newer engine that may not have a DX11 path at all.

I rolled back to the older version for some tests and DX11 is a little bit more consistent in performance than DX12 in the newer version on my 3060, albeit it's slight. However, one big downside to the older beta is that the interlaced mode was far inferior, the newer version's interlaced mode was vastly improved. If you can run at your native res obviously not a big deal, the re-enabling of mods is reason enough to keep with the older beta branch if you don't use RT probably.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing that they provides this option, quite unfortunate tbh. I would expect an update like this to improve instead of degradate. Wonder what caused this regression, for the lower end especially.
It's not simply due to DX12 alone.

Nontheless, major shifts or upgrades like this should provide an option to revert, especially for single player games.

Oct 25, 2017
Good Move , Ideal would had been delisting the old version for Purchase and keep it as it is as Full Standalone version for its owners while making another standalone build for the new version and give it for free for the Original owners like what 2K did with Mafia 2 and Bioshock , that way u could switch between the two versions you own without re-downloading anything , but still better solution than nothing

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
WBacon Are Capcom getting user feedback regarding problems on console as well? Where can I report these problems?

On PS5:
-broken screen space reflections in RE2make (for example on the floor of the main hall of the RPD), please let users disable these reflections completely if they cannot be improved
-performance issues in RT mode, please allow users to lower the resolution to hit 60 fps more consistently, maybe a high frame rate + RT mode at 1440p or even 1080p

These improvements would mean the world to me. Thank you very much! šŸ˜ø

4lMhg5Q.jpg

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
WBacon Are Capcom getting user feedback regarding problems on console as well? Where can I report these problems?

On PS5:
-broken screen space reflections in RE2make (for example on the floor of the main hall of the RPD), please let users disable these reflections completely if they cannot be improved
-performance issues in RT mode, please allow users to lower the resolution to hit 60 fps more consistently, maybe a high frame rate + RT mode at 1440p or even 1080p

4lMhg5Q.jpg

This is ridiculous. I cant believe they thought "Yeah this looks fine, lets ship it this way"

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic! Always give people options imo. Maybe the new version would be unacceptable/unplayable for some. Can't believe they didn't think about that in the first place. Oh well at least they took care of the problem

Oct 27, 2017
There are definitely people in Capcom who knew this backlash would happen who are saying "told you so".

Hopefully those folks are listened to in the future.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is ridiculous. I cant believe they thought "Yeah this looks fine, lets ship it this way"
This isn't even new. SSR is downright atrocious in countless areas in RE2 and this has been an issue since the game launched. One of the big hopes that I had with the RT update was that they'd swap it out with a RT reflection but no dice.

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021

On PS5:

4lMhg5Q.jpg

Oof, dats bad. It's precisely why I don't like Screen Space Reflections. Such an awfully flawed technology that breaks my immersion in every game that it's in.

This isn't even new. SSR is downright atrocious in countless areas in RE2 and this has been an issue since the game launched. One of the big hopes that I had with the RT update was that they'd swap it out with a RT reflection but no dice.

Wait, so ray tracing doesn't include reflections in this game?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wait, so ray tracing doesn't include reflections in this game?
It does but only for certain surfaces and the quality of the RT reflections are incredibly low. If you played Village with RT enabled, it's the same sort of deal. The RT lighting is the big draw here, the reflections aren't anything to write home about and they're used very sparingly.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
It does but only for certain surfaces and the quality of the RT reflections are incredibly low. If you played Village with RT enabled, it's the same sort of deal. The RT lighting is the big draw here, the reflections aren't anything to write home about and they're used very sparingly.
The only reason I was looking forward to the RT mode was to get rid of the atrocious SSR reflections. And now on PS5 the RT mode of RE2 has these jarring performance issues. šŸ˜©

In RE3 the SSR reflections actually look better I think, they might have improved the tech thereā€¦ RE3 looks great in high frame rate mode in the areas I checked.

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021

That's a bit disappointing to hear. Guess I'll play the upgraded version without reflections then. I really, really hate SSR.