• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Some further points re: lag on other platforms

So don't get your hopes up if you are expecting less lag on PS4 etc. It could be better but please don't count on it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Some further points re: lag on other platforms

So don't get your hopes up if you are expecting less lag on PS4 etc. It could be better but please don't count on it.

Thankfully when it hits other platforms I can try the free game to see if its still just as bad as it is on Switch. No way am I paying double for this if the issues persist on other platforms... such an own goal by Capcom on this... the roster and content of the collection is excellent but that messed with the most important part of them (the emulation/performance) so it makes it very hard for me to enjoy some games (SSF2X is horrible for me to play, skipping all over the place)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I can confirm the games don't save the highscore table in-game, every time you load a game it erases every entry/score.
Scores are only tracked in the frontend, not in-game. I know most won't care but to me it's another bummer.

I could honestly put up with the input lag (for the less egregious cases, since some like Final Fight feels like utter shit for example), it's the frameskipping/stuttering that kills it for me.

Carrier Airwing is another one on the list that is legit unplayable to me, it drops frames like crazy and the stuttering makes me so fucking mad there's no way I can enjoy this.

Serves me well for once again not waiting for impressions before wasting €30 on this that I could've put towards MH Rise (GnG Resurrection is day 1), if I had known GnG was going to be free until the 25th and not tied to the bundle purchase maybe I would've waited.

My s.o. told me I had the funniest look going from smiling/gloating to shocked/disappointed face in a matter of seconds when I fired up GnG and the game started shitting bricks at the first couple jumps, lol :-(

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also still bummed there's no way to somehow import or move games from the Beat Em Up Bundle into this collection.

I also don't remember that controlling or feeling as bad as this, either.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Either I'm doing something wrong or none of the packs are available on the canadian eshop

I only ever see the free GnG dlc, none of the other packs

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Only purchased pack 3 so i can't speak for the other games. But its not the lag that kills my enjoyment, its the performance and frame skipping. I find Giga Wing simply unplayable. Had better performance on some of this games on my Dingo A320, like 10 years ago. No excuse.

Dec 14, 2017
Every review says you can get full screen. No review says HOW to get full screen. I tried playing and it's not immediately obvious.

How do I get full screen?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
q
Wow, that's awful. Literally changing history. Bet that Zangief still hails from the USSR.

Shame on crapcom

Unfortunately, they literally have no choice but to do it as a precaution in order to keep their dev partners in China safe from harm, which is the really messed up part. SNK left their games as is for ACA, but eventually their parent company made Hamster edit Taiwan's name out of Baseball Stars 2, and then they tried to get them edited out of the soccer games. (but it seems in response Hamster just decided to delist them outright rather than edit them, which means nobody can play them now)

TBF though, this isn't the first edit of the flag in Super Turbo, since versions made after 2000 changed it from the original 93 flag to the red one with a flower on it. It's only just now that they gave Fei Long Chun Li's flag, likely due to that stupid HK bill that passed last year... It's annoying, but not much that can be done

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Unfortunately, they literally have no choice but to do it as a precaution in order to keep their dev partners in China safe from harm, which is the really messed up part.

TBF though, this isn't the first edit of the flag in Super Turbo, since versions made after 2000 changed it from the original 93 flag to the red one with a flower on it. It's only just now that they gave Fei Long Chun Li's flag, likely due to that stupid HK bill that passed last year... It's annoying, but not much that can be done
Other changes include the Imperial Japan flag reference in E.Honda's stage, and the USAF logo on Guile's stage.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I was only pissed that the game screen had a window-box around it, not going to the edge of the screen, seems like I should be pissed about a lot more.

Odd that they'll fix most this stuff any time soon/ever?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Other changes include the Imperial Japan flag reference in E.Honda's stage, and the USAF logo on Guile's stage.

The imperial japan change is not a thing that should be seen as a negative at all: the rising sun is hyper offensive to SE Asia in general due to representing Japan's war crimes and they edited the stage in SFV to get rid of that as a result and companies are trying to not use that imagery in their newer products as a result, which is smart. I don't think that should be seen as controversy in the slightest. I'm guessing the USAF is more of a trademark thing on that front (Though I am curious as to how they managed to keep the JP version of Carrier Airwing intact when it's literally US NAVY)

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Every review says you can get full screen. No review says HOW to get full screen. I tried playing and it's not immediately obvious.

How do I get full screen?

The older games play in window when full screen is enabled... maybe related to their original resolution.
Every other game have full screen scale 4:3 or even Tate.
They could easily patch everything to fullscreen 1.33 but yeah...

Dec 14, 2017
The older games play in window when full screen is enabled... maybe related to their original resolution.
Every other game have full screen scale 4:3 or even Tate.
They could easily patch everything to fullscreen 1.33 but yeah...
No, I mean just not "I'm looking at the arcade machine."

I don't mean stretched. I tried to play and default is looking at an arcade machine. Which is dumb. It's not immediately apparent how to not have that view.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
A player in Japan sent feedback regarding input lag in Progear and apparently they got a response from Capcom saying they're looking into it:

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A player in Japan user sent feedback regarding input lag in Progear and apparently said they got a response from Capcom saying they're looking into it:

That's good news if Capcom actually addresses anything with the current issues. I'd be super happy to see it ironed out to the point where I have no issues with it, as in a perfect world I'd love more packs to come that fill in the gaps when it comes to many arcade games that are still missing. So, fingers crossed for the best.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Played Ghosts n Goblins and didn't notice any input lag for that game in particular, not like I did with the Sega collection on Switch (somehow I didn't see anyone complain about that before I stupidly bought it).

I just wish the game selection were a bit better and I wish that I had the objection to purchase games a la cart.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Either I'm doing something wrong or none of the packs are available on the canadian eshop

I only ever see the free GnG dlc, none of the other packs

Same here. Capcom won't let me buy their games. I'm in the Netherlands btw.
This is a bit concerning. Can you (or anyone else experiencing this) provide additional details?

FYI, paid add-on Content packs can be purchased via eShop by:

1) Manually searching for Capcom Arcade Stadium or finding it under the Featured section

2) Once you reach the main title store page, scroll down to see the "Downloadable Content" and "Bundle" section

3) You should see four bundles:
- Pack 1 (years '84 - '88)
- Pack 2 (years '89 - '92)
- Pack 3 (years '92 - '01)
- Pack 1/2/3 Bundle

If you're not seeing any of this, please let me know via PM what country you're from and what eShop country you're accessing as it could be a country-specific issue.

Edit: I recorded a quick 'n dirty video on my shaky cam on what the purchase flow should look like on eShop U.S. store. If you're not seeing this, let me know via PM.

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
That's good news if Capcom actually addresses anything with the current issues. I'd be super happy to see it ironed out to the point where I have no issues with it, as in a perfect world I'd love more packs to come that fill in the gaps when it comes to many arcade games that are still missing. So, fingers crossed for the best.
Additional game packs would be amazing, I'd love to replay some missing games like the Mega Man fighting game and others.
Played Ghosts n Goblins and didn't notice any input lag for that game in particular, not like I did with the Sega collection on Switch (somehow I didn't see anyone complain about that before I stupidly bought it).
I actually made the official OT for the Sega Genesis Collection here on ERA, and lots of people pointed out that it had lots of input lag and glitches, on every platform.
And no, the input lag here is nowhere near as bad as that Sega collection.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Had my first playthrough of Progear and it was fun and gorgeous but holy fuck, it feels like 90% of what they are throwing at me is unavoidable and it's fucking relentless, haha.

I don't know if I'm just bad (of course I am) or if I'm missing something, but goddamn. Perhaps it's just that I've never been super into bullet hellish stuff in general. I don't know.

Will obviously play more. It's quite obviously a quality game.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Had my first playthrough of Progear and it was fun and gorgeous but holy fuck, it feels like 90% of what they are throwing at me is unavoidable and it's fucking relentless, haha.

I don't know if I'm just bad (of course I am) or if I'm missing something, but goddamn. Perhaps it's just that I've never been super into bullet hellish stuff in general. I don't know.

Will obviously play more. It's quite obviously a quality game.
Do you have the bullet canceling mechanic down? Absolutely essential for removing some of the cascades of bullets.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Do you have the bullet canceling mechanic down? Absolutely essential for removing some of the cascades of bullets.

haha, clearly not.

I went in not knowing much about the game and all I worked out (and read) was the two shot modes and just wanted to make a post detailing my early impressions. I'm going back to it for sure and will learn the mechanics better.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
No, I mean just not "I'm looking at the arcade machine."

I don't mean stretched. I tried to play and default is looking at an arcade machine. Which is dumb. It's not immediately apparent how to not have that view.
The game has a billion tutorials, one of them mentions it :) In settings, you want to change "Frame". Like, the "frame" around the game screen. It has options of a few arcade cabinets and then a few full-screen frames.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Additional game packs would be amazing, I'd love to replay some missing games like the Mega Man fighting game and others.

I actually made the official OT for the Sega Genesis Collection here on ERA, and lots of people pointed out that it had lots of input lag and glitches, on every platform.
And no, the input lag here is nowhere near as bad as that Sega collection.
Would definitely drop money on a pack with Mega Man Power Fighters.

And yeah, I wish I had checked ERA before buying that SEGA collection. I've never experienced controller lag to this degree. It makes Sonic 2 a nightmare to play.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
haha, clearly not.

I went in not knowing much about the game and all I worked out (and read) was the two shot modes and just wanted to make a post detailing my early impressions. I'm going back to it for sure and will learn the mechanics better.
Yeah it takes some getting used to. Basically if you destroy a ship with your gunner (b button held down) while there's bullets overlapping the enemy, the bullets will "cancel" into gems, which in turn can cancel other adjacent billets into gems. It feels amazing once you get the hang of it and are clearing out giant waves of bullets and turning them into points.

There's also levels to the gems, with diamond being the highest. You can see what level you're currently at by looking at the picture on the bottom left of the screen. To increase your gem level, destroy enemies adjacent to bullets with your main shot, producing rings. You can suck them up into your ship by briefly holding down the gunner button once they're in the air. Hope that all made sense.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah it takes some getting used to. Basically if you destroy a ship with your gunner (b button held down) while there's bullets overlapping the enemy, the bullets will "cancel" into gems, which in turn can cancel other adjacent billets into gems. It feels amazing once you get the hang of it and are clearing out giant waves of bullets and turning them into points.

There's also levels to the gems, with diamond being the highest. You can see what level you're currently at by looking at the picture on the bottom left of the screen. To increase your gem level, destroy enemies adjacent to bullets with your main shot, producing rings. You can suck them up into your ship by briefly holding down the gunner button once they're in the air. Hope that all made sense.
Wow, this is fascinating.
Didn't know Progear was this deep. Thanks!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, quick try on Mega Twins and Super SF2 Turbo and the frame rate issues are still present, maybe slightly less bad than previously but definitely still present. So I've no idea what the patch does (certainly doesnt fix the main issue I have with the game :( )

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So just to be clear, you have to by the bundles right? I can't go into this and just purchase the games themselves?

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
So just to be clear, you have to by the bundles right? I can't go into this and just purchase the games themselves?

The purchase options are:
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium base game (Free; comes with 1943: Battle of Midway)
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium: Ghosts 'n Goblins (Free until today)
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium Packs 1, 2, and 3 - $39.99 and gives you everything
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 1: Dawn of the Arcade ('84 – '88) - $14.99
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 2: Arcade Revolution ('89 – '92) - $14.99
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 3: Arcade Evolution ('92 – '01) - $14.99
OP has the game breakdown between packs.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The purchase options are:
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium base game (Free; comes with 1943: Battle of Midway)
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium: Ghosts 'n Goblins (Free until today)
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium Packs 1, 2, and 3 - $39.99 and gives you everything
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 1: Dawn of the Arcade ('84 – '88) - $14.99
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 2: Arcade Revolution ('89 – '92) - $14.99
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 3: Arcade Evolution ('92 – '01) - $14.99
OP has the game breakdown between packs.

Thanks. I only want Ghouls 'N Ghosts so I guess I'm dropping £11.99 on this thing.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Fucked around with G'nG for a while. Not trying to be hyperbolic, but how did they manage to make every single scaling and filter option look kinda bad?

No integer scaling options, pixel shimmering on every setting, ""scanlines"" are laughably bad, etc.

Performance ain't great, either, like everyone's said. Using the RE Engine was definitely a strange choice for this one.

Overall, can't say I'm compelled to buy more games when the presentation's in such poor shape. Bummer, would've really loved to have played the arcade version of Ghouls!

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Ko
Fucked around with G'nG for a while. Not trying to be hyperbolic, but how did they manage to make every single scaling and filter option look kinda bad?

No integer scaling options, pixel shimmering on every setting, ""scanlines"" are laughably bad, etc.

Performance ain't great, either, like everyone's said. Using the RE Engine was definitely a strange choice for this one.

Overall, can't say I'm compelled to buy more games when the presentation's in such poor shape. Bummer, would've really loved to have played the arcade version of Ghouls!

While I'm also disappointed with the way they treated this, specially with the frameskipping everywhere... I have to admit many of the games look fantastic even with the scanlines. Games like Final Fight, Giga Wing, ProGear, the Street Fighters, etc and many, many other look great. Ghouls n Ghoblins and some other older games are the ones that look worst in terms of scalling... Ghouls N Ghosts should look fine, Strider does. Now the frameskipping is the real issue for me... And I've been playing quite a bit everyday since release...

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Patch 1.03 is out!!!

tried Goblins, didn't fix shit :(

Will check a few other games tomorrow (5am here)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Patch 1.03 is out!!!

No improvements on my end either. The waiting continues. The good thing I guess is that its still being patched so the optimist in me hopes that they are working on a fix. A Capcom rep in the GnG thread mentioned that Capcom Japan is apparently aware of the issue. So fingers crossed...

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
No improvements on my end either. The waiting continues. The good thing I guess is that its still being patched so the optimist in me hopes that they are working on a fix. A Capcom rep in the GnG thread mentioned that Capcom Japan is apparently aware of the issue. So fingers crossed...

Oh cool, I must have missed the post, thanks! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Patch 1.03 is out!!!

I thought Progear felt a little better but that's probably placebo and/or getting used to it. Like I can tell it's still laggy, but it seemed slightly improved.
Wow, this is fascinating.
Didn't know Progear was this deep. Thanks!
Yeah it's great. Something I only recently found out (despite being into shmups for ages now), apparently the different pilot/gunner combos have different attributes beyond just the shot types (linked post and the one after):

And other little tricks here that are probably just cosmetic:

Oh and if you play the Japanese version you get voices. It felt like something was missing until I remembered they were stripped out of the US version and switched over.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. This has by far the worst suite of display options I've seen in a good while for a retro emulated release. They ALL look terrible. Even the basic options given in the Hamster ACA releases look miles better than these. I just don't get it.