• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Courtesy of Gematsu (reporting on information from a recent Eurogamer interview):
Eurogamer: There was a period where I thought you were going to be Mr. Deep Down. What happened with all that?

Yoshinori Ono: "I haven't been called Mr. Deep Down quite yet. The original team is clearly no longer together at this point, but people might have noticed that we've kept the trademark registered, and it's not been completely given up on. Every year we examine titles we're doing in future, and we bring up projects to approve and move forward. There's not much I can say about it, but if you've noticed we've kept the trademark it means we haven't given up on the title completely."

Eurogamer: I played it at TGS a few years ago and it looked really promising.

Yoshinori Ono: "We did have the concept developed a bit further than that, but yeah…"

Ummmm... WHAT!? Deep Down is the project that refuses to die (and that's neat - it looked cool and all). Do you think it ever comes out? Has it been rolled into Itsuno's inevitable Dragon's Dogma 2? Something else crazy? Deep Down always looked like some PS5 shit:

LinearBrightKitty-max-1mb.gif

Maybe it resurfaces there?

Go radio silent, then occasionally mention me every few years if old.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, wasn't NiOh dead for an entire gen...and then became a really good souls game.
Won't be surprised if Deep Down follows suit.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i say every time it comes up there's ... something ... going on there. but god knows what it actually is at this point

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Its super dead. Dragons dogma 2 which is super in development right now by Itsunos team is what will replace it since they are similar.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
It probably transforms itself into something else and ends up in a Devil's third scenario.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Reads to me like a nioh situation, where it will be rerevealed for next gen and look very different from the original concept.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I doubt this was ever intended to be a full release, they probably just made a tech demo to promote a new hardware.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They'll probably slap the title on an action game that they deem promising enough.

And it's Capcom, so it'll probably be good, even if it won't have anything to do with what they had years ago.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It will be shown again at the official PS5 reveal event just like it was shown at the PS4 reveal event.
dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf8890cf.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's what my parents always said about me.
I didn't believe it then and I definitely don't believe it now.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The team members have moved on to other projects. It's dead as shit lol.

(I do hope they incorporate some mechanics and assets to DD2, pretty please capcom...)

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
They just need to finish writing the engine. Capcom will finally have the eighth gen of consoles.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It will just be resurrected when they feel like they need a new IP i guess... they had their hands full for this fiscal year, they've released very good titles, so there's no bitterness from me on that front.

edit:
"Wasn't it supposed to be a roguelike F2P game? If yes then I don't care either way anymore. "
--> damn, absolutely zero interest from me then... i thought it was a solo story experience in medieval setting "a la" dark souls (even if it had net components and not so much in your face storytelling xD ).

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
This the last dream left. We got Last guardian, Shemue 3, and FFXV. Deep Down is the last vaporware left. #believe

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
I really liked the look of the game and its tech. Hopefully, it can be made into a real game single-player game

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Deep down, I always thought that cinematic they made looked pretty cool. A bit shameless that they tried to sell that as PS4 footage, but I thought it had a neat style. The gameplay in the demos looked super rough though.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The trademark being kept is likely similar to other Capcom IP such as Darkstalkers, Power Stone, & Breath of Fire. Where they might return to it in some form but it won't be anytime soon. It might essentially become Capcom's Nioh and show up on the PS6 or the very ass end of PS5 if I were to guess and that's if they really think it's worth going back to on RE engine.