• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hechicero

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
TEXAS
if sony/microsoft go full cloud ill just game on pc with native hardware and i say this as a playstation fanboy they'll lose guys like me.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
There are game stores that exist with games that aren't on Steam that plenty of people buy from. I don't get the point here.

I disagree completely and I think you're missing the big picture. Yes, there are game stores with games that are not on Steam. But when you get to mega-corporation level and you have mega-profits to bring mega-earnings to shareholders - there really are only a few business models that can bring that much money. You need money that a singleplayer 20h game with no battle-pass or IAP cosmetic stuff just can't bring, no matter how much it sells.

So, then you're either Ubisoft that keeps pumping out these Assassin's Creeds or Far Crys with stores and microtransactions - or you are Sony or Nintendo - that uses these games to bring in people to their platform and THAT is where the money is. Do you think Sony doesn't have microtransactions in their games out of the goodness of their hearts? Because of their artistic vision? No, it's because the most important money is not coming from these games themselves (of course they bring a lot of money, I mean, Sony isn't giving them away for free) - but from the fact that they sell consoles which, in turn, get people to buy the games on these consoles and not competing ones. So their goal is to get you locked on their console. The store on that console is their business. These exclusives have a "higher purpose" (figuratively speaking) and this is the reason they exist in this form (and are not Assassin's Creeds)

My argument is that the moment they sell these games on PC, they have to change the business model. And that brings us to Horizon Zero Dawn 7 with a store and 20 armor sets for Aloy. $5.99 each. Because as much money as Horizon brings - it doesn't bring the IAP money or the "lock more people to our store money". It's one or the other, really.

It's about the lock-in. It's either IAP or lock-in. You choose - but you have to have one or the other. And there is no lock-in on PC.

But ok, if I'm wrong, then explain to me why Sony and Nintendo haven't released one single main-franchise game on PC? I mean, there must be a reason? When you look at their profits, you'll see they earn much more money from software sales than hardware - so why not sell their best software on PC too - it wouldn't affect Playstation sales or Switch sales - so why not?

Last edited:

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
It doesn't threaten the console market and this coming gen the consoles are going to be giving you great value at the start, compared to what PC offers (unlike the start of last gen where it was 1:1 parity for price and performance on PC).

A few enthusiasts make the switch over/add PC to their systems when the performance is much higher for not much more in a year or two. But they have mid-gen console upgrades now as well, which might keep them in the console ecosystem. Only in the tail end does it seem really in favor of PCs - but then you get less out of your PC as the new console specs go up and for less than PC prices.

Let's see what GPUs are available and for what price in 2020-2021. Prices might go down significantly after the bitcoin bubble burst, and now that AMD is rumured to be more competitive with Nvidia.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
steam is literally a competing storefront with their own 30% cut.

MS are GAAS focused, so getting a large playerbase is their goal.
For sony, their exclusives are designed to make the playstation more appealing so that more people get locked into that ecosystem.

the only way I see someone like sony going full PC is by having their own storefront.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
steam is literally a competing storefront with their own 30% cut.

MS are GAAS focused, so getting a large playerbase is their goal.
For sony, their exclusives are designed to make the playstation more appealing so that more people get locked into that ecosystem.

the only way I see someone like sony going full PC is by having their own storefront.
Steam isnt a storefront, its a platform.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My argument is that the moment they sell these games on PC, they have to change the business model. And that brings us to Horizon Zero Dawn 7 with a store and 20 armor sets for Aloy. $5.99 each. Because as much money as Horizon brings - it doesn't bring the IAP money or the "bring more people to our store money". It's one or the other, really.

This argument is on the same plain as "singleplayer games don't sell," as the entire argument revolves around this fictional notion that the game won't sell without a MTX / loot box model attached to it, which we all know is bullshit.

explain to me why Sony and Nintendo haven't released one single main-franchise game on PC?

Because Sony and Nintendo's mission is to maximize revenue in a very specific way that involves hardware, software, and their own ecosystem. They want to be able to control every aspect of it. Not to mention that it probably saves them millions of dollars because they only need to develop for one platform, rather than a secondary one that involves millions of configurations.

And it's okay that their philosophy is different. But it is complete and utter bullshit that they would suddenly feel forced to change how these exclusives are monetized because an extra platform is introduced, and thus ruing the quality of their exclusives. Not every game and company set out wanting MTX and loot boxes in their game, despite that historically the data pretty much says you can make hella fucking money with those models.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
While of course some people won't buy a console if they can get the games on PC I do believe the crossover between both player bases isn't that high. The argument of "who would buy consoles without exclusives" seem to ignore the fact that third party games still sell well on them despite being available everywhere.

MS has made the calculation that they aren't losing anything by catering to PC gamers as most of them were hardly in thier ecosystem to begin with. That's absolutely true in my case. I bought one of thier games for the first time since Halo 2 this year.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This argument is on the same plain as "singleplayer games don't sell," as the entire argument revolves around this fictional notion that the game won't sell without a MTX / loot box model attached to it, which we all know is bullshit.

Because Sony and Nintendo's mission is to maximize revenue in a very specific way that involves hardware, software, and their own ecosystem. They want to be able to control every aspect of it. Not to mention that it probably saves them millions of dollars because they only need to develop for one platform, rather than a secondary one that involves millions of configurations.

And it's okay that their philosophy is different. But it is complete and utter bullshit that they would suddenly feel forced to change how these exclusives are monetized because an extra platform is introduced, and thus ruing the quality of their exclusives. Not every game and company set out wanting MTX and loot boxes in their game, despite that historically the data pretty much says you can make hella fucking money with those models.

You're missing the fact that every sale on a competing platform is 30% less revenue.
Game budgets take this into account.
That's a substantial loss, one which would be covered up by microtransactions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're missing the fact that every sale on a competing platform is 30% less revenue.
That's a substantial loss, one which would be covered up by microtransactions.

You're missing the fact that every sale on a storefront that isn't Sony's is whatever percentage less revenue as well, and yet they still sell on those platforms and MTX is nowhere to be found.

You're missing the fact that there are hundreds of singleplayer games that don't have MTX in them, and ones from even this year alone that has done incredibly well (one even won the GOTY award) without having that monetization model added to it.

What you guys are assuming is that

1. If the exclusives become available on PC, it MUST be on Steam
a. if it is on Steam it MUST have MTX, because now they are losing millions in revenue and MUST make up for it

And yet plenty of singleplayer games don't have these models attached to them and sometimes soley exist on the Steam store.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're missing the fact that every sale on a storefront that isn't Sony's is whatever percentage less revenue as well, and yet they still sell on those platforms and MTX is nowhere to be found.

You're missing the fact that there are hundreds of singleplayer games that don't have MTX in them, and ones from even this year alone that has done incredibly well (one even won the GOTY award) without having that monetization model added to it.

What you guys are assuming is that

1. If the exclusives become available on PC, it MUST be on Steam
a. if it is on Steam it MUST have MTX, because now they are losing millions in revenue and MUST make up for it

And yet plenty of singleplayer games don't have these models attached to them and sometimes soley exist on the Steam store.

You're missing the fact the games you list have budgets designed around it.
Sony know they get a 100% share for each sale, and that the game is designed to make playstation more appealing (which inturn generates PS+ revenue),
so they get far larger budget/polish than most single player games.

Sony should just make a PC storefront.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
You have to understand, it's not how much the game sells, it's how much money it brings each quarter and how much value it brings to shareholders. These megacompanies work on a whole different level. It's either exclusivity (that brings huge profits indirectly by getting people on the platform) - or a new game from a popular franchise each year with map packs, cosmetics and "timesavers".
Ah the mythical evil shareholder borg that are so often used on this site to create an "argument".
Normal shareholders have no say in day to day operations and also aren't the borg.
Companies are interested in one thing and that thing is profit, companies don't refrain from micro-transactions because they are so nice they refrain because they think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
You mentioned EA - where are the micro-transactions in Fallen Order?
Which series, outside of sport games, comes out every year?
Only one that comes to mind is CoD (AC is close).
That's the unbelievable amount of 1-2 examples meeting that criteria.
You also want to tell me that if instead of 1 Uncharted or GoW this console gen, people would see it as a negative if 2 or 3 of these games came out this gen?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
User Warned: Platform Warring
The irony of this thread is that it's clear the new consoles makes some PC fans feel threatened.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Talking about consoles vs PCs is like having a Honda/Ford/Volkswagen vs Audi/Mercedes/BMW conversation.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think PC "threatens" the console market, it just chafes it very uncomfortably. sony admitted themselves PS4 Pro was to stave off PS4 --> PC adoption, which was a verifiable concern then as PC accounted for like a quarter of major multiplats, and i'm guessing PC has an even bigger piece of the pie now

the fundamentals are the same. most prefer a $500 game box to dicking around with PC but the 2010s was massive for PC gaming and that's not going away

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
if sony/microsoft go full cloud ill just game on pc with native hardware and i say this as a playstation fanboy they'll lose guys like me.
This reminds me that I only picked Playstation for games before, though I was gifted a 360 kinect combo last gen I still only played games on PS3 (and a bit of PC). Then Sony did the xbox thing of charging for multiplayer and I moved fully to PC and never looked back.

I have a PS4 but I didn't play much of it just like I didn't play much of Xbox 360. The major reason I didn't mess with the 360 much was because 360 needed xbox live gold to get access to most of the games functions. At least PS4 allow some games to be played without PS+, free to play games, subscription based games like MMORPGs, and games like No Mans Sky, Dreams, and Death Stranding.

On PC I can play console exclusive games like Street Fighter V with PS4 players without paying for PS+, and boy did having cross play with PS4 help PC SFV feel full, even now. That user base is nice, it was the same for Paragon (the Epic Moba third person game, I miss that game), mostly every game was full of PS4 players.

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
PC and consoles are no longer competitors. Eco systems are the main competitors from now on. It is steam vs xbox vs Sony vs stadia. The device you play on is getting less important than ever before. They just want you using their store.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To add on to my previous post, PC gaming didn't become a bigger market for consoles because of the ability to be more powerful. The various advantages are combined with the fact that consoles are banned in certain countries for one reason or another as well. PC as a threat to the console is in the same way as smartphone is a threat to the DSLR camera. There is a reason why we are starting to see mid-gen consoles, and why PC is starting to see console exclusive titles being ported over in recent years. Lots of gamers went to PC, and developers/publishers are following.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I often have to decide whether I want to buy a game on PC or PS4, so I'd say they definitely compete. Sometimes I choose ps4, sometimes PC, for various reasons. I have an xbox too but I mostly just use it as a 4k blu ray player.

Oct 27, 2017
This kinda question is exactly why Microsoft are on the right track, and Sony are sleeping.

It's less about the device, and more about the software.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
The mobile market wasn't a threat to the console market either....

It just helped normalize micro transactions, and reduce the handheld market considerably.

PC gaming isn't a threat to console gaming...

But it helped normalize the 'live service' games, and early access style releases.

Steaming isn't a threat to console gaming....

If it becomes successful, it will help reduce the amount of time sensitive gameplay designed games that get released on all platforms. Things like Rhythm games, Fighting Games, Twitch shooters, etc. will be severely hurt by steaming services.

Consoles aren't a threat to PC/Mobile/etc....

Except when it comes to exclusives, console->PC ports, and so on....

Basically, I don't believe there is any 1:1 threat between markets, but the effects of said markets _do_ effect the other markets.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
And that's a problem.

a problem for who exactly? sure it'd be great to play GoW with my 2080 ti blazing, i guess it's a "problem" that isn't a possibility

but sony sells shitloads of hardware, that's their wheelhouse. they're almost reliant on that front as much as nintendo - i guess they're "sleeping" as well?

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the TV. Having played both a PC version and the console version on my OLED, I'd say the difference is quite more than "just a nice little bonus". I'd take it over 120 fps personally, especially on a game like this where atmosphere is everything and twitch gameplay not so much.

Well I played on my LG C9 with mouse and keyboard and found 120hz made the game just look amazing in motion. I like HDR. But more keen on having better performance than aesthetics. For me it's a nice bonus to have HDR on top of outstanding performance.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Honestly I do wish more platform holders would start seeing the PC market as less of a singular platform, but as a foundation on which they too can launch their own platforms. I fully expect Microsofts PC efforts to add tons of value to their Xbox brand.

Oct 27, 2017
a problem for who exactly? sure it'd be great to play GoW with my 2080 ti blazing, i guess it's a "problem" that isn't a possibility

but sony sells shitloads of hardware, that's their wheelhouse. they're almost reliant on that front as much as nintendo - i guess they're "sleeping" as well?

Obviously can't predict the future, but Microsoft are thinking much further ahead than Sony are.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Depends on the TV. Having played both a PC version and the console version on my OLED, I'd say the difference is quite more than "just a nice little bonus". I'd take it over 120 fps personally, especially on a game like this where atmosphere is everything and twitch gameplay not so much.
Luckily you can enjoy both at the same time on PC. That's the beauty of PC: options. You can have it all if you have the high end hardware, but if not then you can choose which to prioritise; whether framerate, resolution, and a plethora of graphics settings. You can customise it to your preference.

Regardless, I love both consoles and PC for different reasons and I'm sure they'll continue to coexist for the foreseeable future.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I would have bought an xbox this gen if Microsoft didn't decide to bring all their exclusives +gamepass to pc. Pc is definitely a competitor.
PC gaming and consoles occupy slightly different markets, but there is a lot of overlap, and in that overlap competition exists.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I mean, get a PC with equivalent specs to a Tegra X1 and play the PC version of Blind Forest on it and then compare it to playing the Switch Port of Blind Forest. You can perform miracles if you're optimizing towards a specific system.
A comparison to mobile hardware makes this difficult, but from some research it seems the Geforce GT 830M is a decent GPU equivalent. Here's some gameplay on a similar GPU, albeit with a CPU that I'm guessing is above the X1 and more RAM:

Did you work on the Switch version of Ori? I'd love to hear about your experiences on that port, or even just differences between the Xbox One and PC versions of the game.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
My tv pc is on par with ye olde ps4 pro and cost about 600. Bring your own controller i guess. That will get you witcher 3 at 1080/60. So its probably more expensive in terms of performance, on balance.

But then save 200+ bucks for online fees, cheap games, any controller you want, emulation, mods, indefinite legacy compatibilty...

Lots of a milder gaming pcs out there. They make alot of sense. And yeah, core users are going to cross shop that with a console.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Luckily you can enjoy both at the same time on PC. That's the beauty of PC: options. You can have it all if you have the high end hardware, but if not then you can choose which to prioritise; whether framerate, resolution, and a plethora of graphics settings. You can customise it to your preference.

Regardless, I love both consoles and PC for different reasons and I'm sure they'll continue to coexist for the foreseeable future.

To each their own. One of the main reasons I don't like PC gaming is the plethora of graphic settings. I keep going back and forth, tweaking the settings to find the best quality/performance ratio, only to find that my settings drops a lot of frames in certain situations and then I go back to tweak it again, etc. I'm not debating you here - I know a lot of people like this flexibility, and I can understand why. I really dislike it. There are numerous reasons why I prefer playing on consoles, and not everyone cares about the same things - so, I just don't like this attitude that PC is an obvious choice for everyone. It isn't for me.

As for the example of RE2, yeah, if I hooked the PC to the TV, I could've played in HDR I guess (if the PC version supports it). I wasn't clear in my post, sorry, I meant that I prefer HDR to fps, that's all. And you can have both on a PC, but only in a game that supports it (most PC games don't).

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Ah the mythical evil shareholder borg that are so often used on this site to create an "argument".

Nothing mythical or evil about shareholders, it's just how things work. Gaming is a business.

You mentioned EA - where are the micro-transactions in Fallen Order?

Fallen Order is an exception to every other recent EA game, and if you're expecting this to become the norm for EA, you'll be disappointed.

Which series, outside of sport games, comes out every year?

Well, ok, maybe every other year, they certainly come out more frequent than GoW, that's for sure - and they all have microtransactions.

But ok, if I'm wrong, then you tell me why we don't have these games on the PC. As the OP correctly said and I think we all agree - having these games on PC would not slow down console sales and, also, Sony and Nintendo don't earn the majority of profits from hardware sales anyway - so why not have these games on the PC? Why can't you play Zelda or GoW or Smash or TLOU on PC?
Sony and Nintendo don't like money?

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

Unless you have some hard data for that, we're both just speculating. The truth is probably more complex than either of our theories, but the fact is - if it brought them more money in the long term, both Sony and Nintendo would publish their games on the PC. Or at least some of the games. It's not trivial to port them, but it's not that complicated either and doesn't cost that much compared to potential sales. So there must be another reason why they categorically refuse to do so. And yes, the control of the entire ecosystem is probably the reason as you say, and that's basically what I said. It is also a fact that the level of polish seen in Nintendo and Sony first party exclusives is rarely seen elsewhere - and the reason can't be "because N and S have better developers", that's just not true. It's because of time and money that these developers are given, which is rare for the rest of the industry and rarely seen outside exclusives. Therefore my conclusion that it has to do something with Sony/Nintendo business model, and that business model very categorically excludes the PC, unfortunately.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need an Xbox, because I have a relatively high end PC, and to keep it relatively modern, I'll already have to be spending an additional $500+ (around the cost, or more of a console) next year, although I never really looked at it as a competition, and I'm not sure why it ever needed to be one (I grew up on consoles, and eventually played on both PC and consoles regularly). I wouldn't buy any console if I didn't need to to play certain exclusives on it, but that's not a slight on them. For the cost, they are usually the best bang, and also a lot easier to transport.

As long as there are enough exclusives that I can't play on PC (until a decade later on an emulator), I'll still end up buying whatever console I need to.

edit: It doesn't feel like a competition now I suppose, but early last gen it kind of did. Or rather, it seemed as though developers were much less interested in leveraging the PCs power when it came to games like many had in the past, and it started to become a "console first" mindset, with the PC getting a bare bones port, if even that quite often. This is actually the reverse of what the OP is talking about though. We seem to be way beyond that now though, and even if game development is still primarily focused on the consoles (AAA development at least), the PC ports have usually been solid, if not excellent for a long while now.

Did they ever say that or was that just the sentiment online? I cant imagine the pro made any dent toward that specific goal. I personally think it was to capitalize on the 4k tv buzz at the time while being able to make people repurchase a console or buy in at a higher price in the first place.

That was my take on it as well, and because I had also just recently ended up having to go from a 1080p screen to a 4K one five months before it launched, it was my main reason for wanting a Pro. Sony was one of the first to release a consumer 4K TV, and they were wanting to move as many of those as they could.

I still don't see how it's a direct competition. Yeah sure, many did switch to PC mid-gen last gen because of how long it was going, the available PC ports, and how it was getting cheaper to put together a decent gaming PC compared to at the start of that gen. But so what? We were already what, three years into last gen before the Pro launched? One would think that someone really interested in a PS4 might have purchased one by then. I had a regular PS4 and a gaming PC and I still got a Pro...simply because it was better than the base version (checkerboarding), but it still had exclusives I could not play anywhere else.

Last edited:

Sep 7, 2018
I switched to PC after the PS3 generation, and I will probably never go back to consoles. Backwards compatability, frequent sales and an enormous library outweigh the benefit of console exclusives in my mind.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
PC will not kill consoles, but it is a competitive disadvantage if one system has full exclusives and the other does not.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I say the console ecosystems should compete with the PC ecosystems on all fields, without exceptions. If one ecosystem has better graphics due to hardware they operate on, the other ecosystems must respond to match or exceed those specs asap regardless of platform (more frequent console releases). If one ecosystem has better pricing and/or sales the other ecosystems should match those prices. Same thing with features such as mods, stats, Crossplay, cross save , etc.

Overall the main issue I have is there is not enough competition going around. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X was a nice one time thing, but it should have kept going. PS4 Pro 2 one year after Xbox One X, Xbox One X2 one year after PS4 Pro 2, etc. Raytracing become available on PC, get it too on the next iteration, and so on. Trading in the console every 2 years to keep up with the latest graphics would work for me.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I say the console ecosystems should compete with the PC ecosystems on all fields, without exceptions. If one ecosystem has better graphics due to hardware they operate on, the other ecosystems must respond to match or exceed those specs asap regardless of platform (more frequent console releases). If one ecosystem has better pricing and/or sales the other ecosystems should match those prices. Same thing with features such as mods, stats, Crossplay, cross save , etc.

Overall the main issue I have is there is not enough competition going around. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X was a nice one time thing, but it should have kept going. PS4 Pro 2 one year after Xbox One X, Xbox One X2 one year after PS4 Pro 2, etc. Raytracing become available on PC, get it too on the next iteration, and so on. Trading in the console every 2 years to keep up with the latest graphics would work for me.

Most people don't want to buy dedicated gaming hardware every 2 years. Console longevity is one of the reasons they are successful. Of course, if you're in the high-end hardware niche you would want new hardware to follow new advancements, but that's why you have the PC.

I remember listening to some old gaming podcast and the thing that people were fearing about either PC or console gaming going away was the pre-made computers were falling behind cause of Smart phone growth and the mobile games growing. It was the change reaction of computer companies no longer making PCs, meaning drop in interest for powerful GPUs, meaning no good GPU to develop for consoles.

Talking to others about it the thing that change was many mobile games end up failing due to being unstable, the mobile game market introduce people to games and has lead them to play more games on both sides.

I guess another fear from analysis was the current audience wasn't growing but again the mobile market has open it up.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sony (and MS) don't make most of their money selling exclusives. It's probably a very small fraction.

A large amount of their money is from the cut they get on every sale of all third party games on their platform, and associated downloadables.

Giving PC their exclusives might give some short term sales numbers, but it cedes the relevance and importance of their platform in exchange. If a percentage of people then stop getting the latest COD or FIFA or Battlefield or Ass Creed on PS every year and instead just get them on Steam, because 'everything is on PC now'. and the PlayStation platform becomes less relevant.