• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
That quote is about Modern Warfare 4 on PS3 / 360. Dude you better calm the fuck down because right now you are insulting people left and right with clearly wrong and easily disproven information.
Explain for me what part of that article has anything to do with anything I said in this thread.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
Agree with OP. I'm not sure how me owning a PS4 Pro for FF7R is remotely contentious with also owning a gaming PC for Half-Life Alyx. The two aren't contentious same as buying a Switch for Bayonetta 3. And an Xbox isn't even competing with PC --- it's basically just a heavily modded PC. Heck, it's running a
a Microsoft Windows-based operating system.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What are you talking about? Posting that link is not saying something.
Dude that is a dgital foundry talking forza horizon 1 for not being 60FPS like previous forzas were.
here is a quote since you can't take the time to google what you are preaching. I'm ignore you after this since its clear you prefer to be rude then takinga step back saying how you were mistaken.

- Forza 4 already pushes the Xbox 360 very close to its limits: the massive engine upgrade envisaged would inevitably require compromise. The solution the studio came up with is the kind that Forza fans are likely to view with suspicion - the series' signature 60Hz update was halved, bringing Horizon more into line with the majority of console games.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This post I agree with so much. Anytime I posted in threads that were like "Why don't you PC Game?" my posts and issues got ignored. I used to play on PC. I don't anymore.
People can't fathom why people don't always want "the best" of something and will settle for something lesser. People can't understand while all these benefits to them aren't seen the same to others. Gaming isnt the only place you see this too

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Dude that is a dgital foundry talking forza horizon 1 for not being 60FPS like previous forzas were.
here is a quote since you can't take the time to google what you are preaching. I'm ignore you after this since its clear you prefer to be rude then takinga step back saying how you were mistaken.
Ok, to be fair, Horizon shifted the franchise from track-racer to a more demanding open world racing.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
You're gong to have to quote for me what I said that contradicts anything said in that article, because I'm not seeing it.

PlainOldJosh

Nov 4, 2017
I mean, I'm not buying the next Xbox because I can play the games on PC. I'm not saying that because I want to kill Microsoft. I'm saying it because exclusives are the biggest reason why I buy a console
I'm interested to see how many consoles Microsoft can sell next gen. Trying to sell a new console with zero exclusive games is a bold strategy.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Most surprising stat to me is that 16GB Ram has now surpassed 8GB Ram. Also interesting that over 64% of Steam users game at 1080P, while less than 2% game at 4K.
It's about time. RAM prices where crazy in 2017/2018 due to shortages, now that DDR4 is cheap again it's hard to recommend someone builds a new PC with 8GB unless they are on a really really low budget and need to save $30.

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to post this in that recent Xbox thread, but then thought this discussion deserves its own thread, so here goes:

I'm always a bit baffled by people saying things like "Meh, I don't need an Xbox, I have a gaming PC" and in the same sentence they're making that sound like that's a diss against the Xbox. Yes, if you're a PC Gamer and Microsoft ships their first party games on PC as well, YOU might not NEED an Xbox.

And that's perfectly fine.

A good gaming PC that runs games at better quality than a console will most likely cost you 1.000$ and up - and probably a bit more than that if you're trying to buy a Gaming Rig closer to the consoles release. The biggest selling point for a console is convenience and price. You're buying a box for a couple hundred dollars and if you buy games for it, you KNOW what you're gonna get. You don't have to fiddle with your OS, drivers and with obscure sounding settings, you just download the game, hit play and you're good to go. THAT is what most people out there expect and want from a console. I'd assume that a ton of people out there have no desire to put a big gaming PC tower into their living rooms. They want a sexy little box that guarantees good entertainment. And while gaming on the PC has become much more streamlined over the past decade or so, it still can't compete with a console when it comes to sheer convenience and price. It's not even close.

I mean, let's face it, PC Gamers who buy the latest and greatest hardware are a niche segment. You are representing the absolute high end, gamers who don't care as much about the price of their hardware, who'd be willing to spend 500+ dollars on just a GPU. I just don't see how those market segments compete. It's like saying 'These headphones Apple ships with their phones are completely useless cause there's way better, pricier high end stuff out there!' -> You're missing the point. Of course there's better stuff around and it's great that you can buy that and use it on your device, but for most people, those headphones that ship with the device are all they really want or need.

I'm sure everyone here would LOOOOVE for Sony to do the same thing Microsoft does (Don't tell me you wouldn't want to play games like Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, etc. at 4k, 60fps, HDR, etc. on your PC - If the OPTION would be there, a ton of people would be thrilled to play those games that way instead of the upscaled 4k, VRR-hopefully-60fps-but-not-quite, etc. experiences that you get on a console), but I think people would be scared that - if that happens - PC Gaming could kill Console gaming and let's be real here: That's just a bunch of nonsense. In no other segment are people so afraid that the HIGH END would absolutely murder the LOW END than in gaming.

I'd just love for people to accept that PC Gaming represents the HIGH END ALTERNATIVE to consoles instead of PCs representing some evil competition that might kill consoles. It never will. There'll always be a HUUUUGE segment of gamers who just don't want to deal with all the hassles that PC gaming brings with it. There's always going to be a huge amount of people who value convenience way more than performance - and that's fine. Your Prius isn't a useless piece of shit just because Porsche just made a new sports car.

Games should be available everywhere and gamers should have a choice. You want convenience, a good experience and don't want to break the bank? Get a console. You love performance and are willing to spend a bit more? Get a PC.

OP, I get what you're saying but this is a gaming enthusiast website meaning that what statistics that you see here of what people are saying are skewed compared to real world numbers. Look at the percentage of people here that high-end video cards compared to normal numbers that you would see on the Steam survey. They wouldn't align at all.

I don't think anybody here is going to say that consoles and PCs do not have their specific advantages and purposes. I myself necessarily don't see a need for a Xbox Series X because I will have a PC that will run the same stuff. That's not a slight towards the Xbox brand at all, I mean I'll probably be subscribing to game pass and will be buying Microsoft games the whole time so it's not like I'm not going to be part of the ecosystem in some way. Microsoft has given people a choice and a lot of people that are enthusiasts are probably going to choose what's going to give them the most flexibility and options or maybe just both :)

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
When you develop for consoles, you know exactly what you're targeting, so you can optimize the hell out of that machine, which isn't what's happening for PC games. On PCs, you just deal with a ton of overhead and you're throwing insane amounts of power at it to overcome that. All PC games could run a hell of a lot better on the given hardware if the games would actually be specifically made for that hardware. So even if your PC is on paper better than a console, in practice that often won't result in you having a comparable experience. And again, most people don't wanna deal with that shit.
Has this been your experience working on PC versions of games? I don't have much in the way of technical knowledge, but my impression is that console and PC development has converged to a great extent, with many software tools being shared. Both XBO and PS4 are x86 machines, and XBO even runs a custom version of Windows. From my understanding, a "coding to the metal" approach isn't just less feasible now than in decades past, it's actually undesirable because of the need for multiplatform development. Can anyone with console and PC development experience chime in?

Huge admirer by the way, Ori was an incredible game and Will of the Wisps looks phenomenal, can't wait to play it.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
That stuff applied to all MP shooters during last gen. Sorry I don't have time to engage with obvious trolls like that user.
What is "that stuff"? And you're calling me a troll? You're replying to me with Digital Foundry links about games I haven't even talked about. It makes absolutely no sense.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Has this been your experience working on PC versions of games? I don't have much in the way of technical knowledge, but my impression is that console and PC development has converged to a great extent, with many software tools being shared. Both XBO and PS4 are x86 machines, and XBO even runs a custom version of Windows. From my understanding, a "coding to the metal" approach isn't just less feasible now than in decades past, it's actually undesirable because of the need for multiplatform development. Can anyone with console and PC development experience chime in?

Huge admirer by the way, Ori was an incredible game and Will of the Wisps looks phenomenal, can't wait to play it.
You still optimize to certain specs. When you know the hardware and you do testing on said hardware you know exactly how it's going to run. That simply can't exist with PC

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
PC gaming despite everything is a great story, consoles have a chance at being a threat to consoles but PC still has the top spot.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I do not agree with the sentiment that PCs are only a "HIGH END ALTERNATIVE" for some kind of hardcore player base.
The arguments that PC gaming does cost much more and is less convenient than its console counterparts are also questionable.

But yeah, PC gaming does not threaten the console market because it is its own thing since 25 years or so.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
it never has.

I dont even want to fathom the cost and hassle it would be to build a PC that does 4k 60fps HDR in modern games like my xb1x. Whatever it is. It isn't the plug and play ease of use...and $347 i paid. thats for sure.
The hassle, if you're not already familiar with PC hardware, would be considerable to pick every part and get it setup, yes no doubt.

The cost though - for a system that would play the same games at equivalent res/settings if you're comparing X-enhanced titles? Around $750, that's for playing games at the same res/settings and performance if you're targetting ~4k at the same fps as the X.

You would still have the option though for pretty much all games to play them at 1080/1440p at 60fps, which is not a choice in every x-enhanced game, by far - and of course no comparison for games that weren't given X-enhanced patches. Going up to $900 and you could equip it with a 5700XT, for a system which absolutely dusts the X.

So yes, definitely more expensive and definitely more hassle, but the cost really isn't that stratospheric if you go DIY. I will say though that the X/Pro seem to have large discounts far, far more often in the US than Canada - $349 now for the X/Jedi Order bundle on Newegg.com is a hell of a deal. That's currently $650 cad right now (edit: just newegg, BestBuy has it for $450).

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Halo, Battlefield and Gears core identity was 60fps. Hell, part of the complains of Halo 4 was it moving to 30fps. (Edit: Similar with Forza were the "driver sim" is 60fps and the more arcadey "Forza Horizon" is 30fps)
All Halo games on Xbox and Xbox 360 were 30fps.
All Battlefield games on Xbox and Xbox 360 were 30fps.
All Gears of War games on Xbox and Xbox 360 were 30fps.
i completely agree with eonden. those games were always closer to 60 FPS on the old consoles. new consoles have had their new games gimped to 30 FPS for higher graphical fidelity.
All Halo games on Xbox and Xbox 360 were 30fps.
All Battlefield games on Xbox and Xbox 360 were 30fps.
All Gears of War games on Xbox and Xbox 360 were 30fps.

These are facts. A respectable number of franchises did make the shift to 60fps on consoles this generation. Franchises that were generally, or would have been, 30fps games on the last generation of consoles. Framerate as a focus for AAA games was a relative rarity last generation, compared to even now. As late-gen AAA spectacles trend more and more toward 30fps this gen, in the last last gen, late-gen AAA spectacles tended to trend even lower - I'm reminded of games like GTA V, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, and more, games that often eschewed strict 30fps locks and even vsync in favor of retaining some level of playability at sub-30fps average framerates.

Last edited:

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
No. It's direct competition.

It really isn't. A large majority of people who buy consoles aren't interested in buying a pc, building a pc or maintaining a pc. Consoles are plug and play. Some people like that simplicity. Those people will always be there to buy the console games. PC ports are almost always better than their console counterparts but a lot of people don't care about that.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well if I can get all 1st party games on PC, I won't buy consoles anymore. And I will get the games cheaper too (not buying the games on launch day anymore, waiting for Steam sales etc.), without paying for PS+, XB Live.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
That stuff applied to all MP shooters during last gen. Sorry I don't have time to engage with obvious trolls like that user.

Call of Duty was very known to be the outlier not the norm in terms of performance. It's one of the reasons why people loved it so much.

Gears and Halo were very much 30FPS games. Uncharted 2, Battlefield Bad Company, 3 + 4, Left 4 Dead, Killzone, Destiny, and Resistance are all also 30 FPS games on 360/PS3.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something else that's missing from pc for me is hype, there's rarely a big announcement that's specifically for pc, like where's my pc state of play or direct? We did just the new half life announcement but that's just 1 thing

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Something else that's missing from pc for me is hype, there's rarely a big announcement that's specifically for pc, like where's my pc state of play or direct? We did just the new half life announcement but that's just 1 thing
Well, a PC exclusive won 4 awards in the Game Awards less than a week ago...

Feb 15, 2019
I think they're still more direct competition than a lot of people in here think. Yes, there is a price difference. Most of the time your gaming PC is going to be more expensive than a console, especially so in the later half of the generation when you can pick it up for 200 or less.

However, people forget all the time that, especially so in Europe, games have a lower price tag on PC than console and a smart customer can easily save a ton even when buying games on release. Stuff like CDKeys often has prices sub 40 euro. A lot of times you'd be looking at a full 60 euro price tag for that on console. And that's not to forget that online is obviously free compared to the 50 euro price tag (per year) it is on console.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Call of Duty was very known to be the outlier not the norm in terms of performance. It's one of the reasons why people loved it so much.

Gears and Halo were very much 30FPS games. Uncharted 2, Battlefield Bad Company, 3 + 4, Left 4 Dead, Killzone, Destiny, and Resistance are all also 30 FPS games on 360/PS3.

L4D was 30? God bless pc gaming...

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Good god man. You're spinning the lack of marketing events as a negative?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Someone who wants a console and wants to play Microsoft games will buy an Xbox. That's really all there is to it.

The "now I don't need an Xbox" crowd wouldn't have bought third party stuff anyway, so it makes no difference whether they sell them the same games on Xbox or on Windows 10.

Some people just aren't that into videogames. If a guy wants to play Madden 2021 and Halo Infinite with his buddies from college do you really think he's going to sit down, do the research, then build an entire desktop computer purely for gaming when he already has a MacBook Air? Yeah, maybe PC gaming is better when you crunch the numbers and weigh the benefits, but some people simply don't care. If you can't wrap your head around someone choosing to game on a console, then you need to do some reflecting.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Someone who wants a console and wants to play Microsoft games will buy an Xbox. That's really all there is to it.

The "now I don't need an Xbox" crowd wouldn't have bought third party stuff anyway, so it makes no difference whether they sell them the same games on Xbox or on Windows 10.

Some people just aren't that into videogames. If a guy wants to play Madden 2021 and Halo Infinite with his buddies from college do you really think he's going to sit down, do the research, then build an entire desktop computer purely for gaming when he already has a MacBook Air? Yeah, maybe PC gaming is better when you crunch the numbers and weigh the benefits, but some people simply don't care. If you can't wrap your head around someone choosing to game on a console, then you need to do some reflecting.
I can easily wrap my head around that mentality for the type of person you're describing. However, you and I are currently posting on a dedicated video game enthusiast board so it's a bit more strange to see all this talk of "convenience" and "can't be bothered" here.

OP
OP
thomasmahler

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria

I mean, get a PC with equivalent specs to a Tegra X1 and play the PC version of Blind Forest on it and then compare it to playing the Switch Port of Blind Forest. You can perform miracles if you're optimizing towards a specific system.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I mean that was back when dlc and digital downloads were pretty new and Microsoft was providing all the infrastructure for it. Now free dlc is fine

Nah

The consumer spent money on Xbox Live to pay for that. Could be a valid argument if it was a free service to the consumer, but they were forcing them to charge the consumer to "pay for infastructure" then what the fuck was the XBL cost.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
You still optimize to certain specs. When you know the hardware and you do testing on said hardware you know exactly how it's going to run. That simply can't exist with PC
Optimization exists, certainly. And yes, testing a game on every possible hardware spec available on PC is obviously unfeasible. That doesn't mean testing isn't done, far from it. We're also long past the days of exotic hardware in consoles, so less compromises need to be made between different versions of games. The idea that PC versions of games are generally poorly optimized and need to be overcome through brute force just doesn't track with reality.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can easily wrap my head around that mentality for the type of person you're describing. However, you and I are currently posting on a dedicated video game enthusiast board so it's a bit more strange to see all this talk of "convenience" and "can't be bothered" here.
I work a lot, am married and like to game at the end of the night to unwind. I don't have time or energy to built a PC or deal with the issues that can arise with PC's etc. Or mod or any of that. You can be an enthusiast and don't want to have to do the rest that can come with it.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
What is this thread? I don't know anyone on my friendslists who would have got PS4 or PS4 Pro if this was the case.
PC is definitely a "threat" to consoles.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, get a PC with equivalent specs to a Tegra X1 and play the PC version of Blind Forest on it and then compare it to playing the Switch Port of Blind Forest. You can perform miracles if you're optimizing towards a specific system.
Btw, Ori will of wisps for switch? Don't just give us 1 of them please lol

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah

The consumer spent money on Xbox Live to pay for that. Could be a valid argument if it was a free service to the consumer, but they were forcing them to charge the consumer to "pay for infastructure" then what the fuck was the XBL cost.
Consumers paid money for Xbox Live for dedicated online servers for games. You didn't need to pay for Xbox Live to download dlc.
They changed it over time but at the start that's how they did it.

Deleted member 7373

I would probably play more games on console if I was unable to play virtually everything on PC.