• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
After my horrid experience dealing with Forza Horizon 3 on the MS Store, I haven't bought a major title on it since.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that they don't care.

It's that the original store platform was so poorly implemented, and that incremental updates and fixes aren't going to have a noticeable effect on its worst issues for some people. And the core problems may not be resolved without a substantial rewrite of the codebase from the ground up.
yes but if they really cared, as in they think these things are major problems that need fixes, they would commit to that kind of project. that they haven't means that at the end of the day they're fine with the platform being in the state that it's in.

and since every major microsoft move since nadella became CEO has been focused around making MS a backend services company that makes subscription-based packages designed to run absolutely everywhere, it's not surprising that the total failure of UWP hasn't sparked any real response.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I discovered that they never deleted the games that I put on f:
So I decided to delete the folder
Now I can't install ANYTHING on f:
All other partitions work
( C: D: E: G:)
and I can't find a workaround.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
And people wonder why we're tired of all these half assed launchers.

It makes you appreciate the few that bothered to give a shit.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
Super bummed to hear about the problems some of you are having. I've been playing We Happy Few, Crackdown 3 and Moonlighter without any issues.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I had a strange issue the other day trying to download Crackdown 3. After a few seconds of starting the download, my router for some reason would get taken down and I would lose my internet connection. I basically have 2 asus routers setup using aimesh wirelessly and my computer is wired to the mesh node router. Whenever this would happen, the master router would stop seeing the second router node.

I'm pretty sure it was the Store somehow doing it because it happened about 4x, every single time immediately after I would start the download. 5th time though, everything worked fine. Really odd

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Windows 10 in general, still not updated to it at home after dealing with it causing problems on a daily basis at work.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
So, like many of you know there's currently a promotion of 2 months of Game Pass for $2, so even though I dont own an XB, Game Pass for PC is worth at least $2, right? Nope, at least for me, is not worth even for free, since is just a plain waste of time.

I took that screenshot after ~2hours of time wasted trying to get the store to download a simple game and install it on a drive different than C: . First by myself and then by MS support technician. And this on a clean Windows 10 that installed just last Sunday.

For all its deficiencies, my first experience with the Epic store was relatively painless. Download and play.

Had a similar issue with FH3 way back, as I wanted to install the game in a different drive than my OS(which it defaults), and the hoops you jump through were crazy as there is no simple option to choose a location upon download.

I did just google the answer and solved it quick though(buried in control panel, you can 'move' the installation to a diff drive or even set a default for future downloads IIRC).

Still it's a real head scratcher coming from a software house like MS to not have such obvious control upfront.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
they've been adding features and making "improvements" ever since win10 launched but have yet to fix any of the underlying issues with the platform. all of the problems people have with downloading and launching UWP games are the same now as they were two and a half years ago.

it's fucking embarrassing and the only explanation i can think of is that they don't really care.

I believe part of the issue was the store was originally designed around the mobile apps idea. They've tried to fork in PC games and like you mentioned it's been a mess.

If they expect Game Pass to be something PC gamers take seriously, they'll need to turn the store into something that runs without issues and makes discovery/downloading/playing simple.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
That's why I just avoid windows store, they need to fully revamp it from ground up remove uwp and all the garbage mobile games from it.

WhippyLizard

Nov 1, 2017
It's still impossible to install the RE7 play anywhere DLC on a drive other than C:
[Installing it on C: sometimes works, but the game cannot be moved]

It's still impossible to install the Shadow of War DLC (4k cinematics) on a drive other than C:
[Though with this game it IS possible to move the whole game after it's installed]

Crackdown 3 wouldn't launch (hangs at the press any key screen) because Windows 10 had a pending install, and it couldn't check for updates with the pending install. (Fixed after reboot and forced update)

It's certainly... messy.

I hope they actually start to care and get it straight.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
It really feels like it needs to be trashed and be rebuilt as an independant service, and not a DRM'd to hell shoehorning device of many kinds.

Serastros

Mar 3, 2018
In my opinion same deadbirth like "games for windows" platform, which is discontinued now....
remember it? the big steam competition?

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
My latest with windows store was after playing Crackdown 3 on my main drive I tried to move the app to another drive and I kept getting errors, I had to uninstall and redownload to the other drive to resolve the issue. Also the issue of games or updates to games taking a couple attempts to install properly resulting in redownloading is still an issue. Thank goodness I don't have a data cap.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got an email saying the Windows Insider Build makes "search more powerful". Since search on Windows barely works, maybe they'll get around to the store after fixing that.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wanted to play Sea of Thieves with my little one. Installed it on Xbox One S, installed it on my PC.

Couldn't play together because same account.... it's free to play, different devices, who cares? Whatever, I created a new account on the Xbox. Prompted me to pay for for Xbox Gold.

FUCK. Forgot about this multiplayer bullshit on consoles, can't believe people put up with it. FUCK, fine I'll pay for a month.

Didn't want to enter shit with a gamepad so went back to PC to pay my pound of flesh. It was a pain to find a way to pay for this on the store UI, so I had to search google where I found a direct link to the xbox gold site. Paid, angrily.

Ok wen't back to xbox sent invite to PC account..... nothing. Wen to PC sent invite to xbox account.... nothing.

Had to restart Xbox and the windows game to finally be able to see each other. What a pain in the ass process, and it's nothing compared to some of the above.

Before this, Forza took like 5 times to install property. The store is still a mess.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. It just plain does not function as advertised. I'm baffled that Microsoft are so incompetent at implementing a store to sell PC games, a problem that was solved by others over a decade ago.

Kinda glad though, I don't want UWP gaining traction for gaming, and if their store was functional there would be some risk of it catching on.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
They started some testing. Rumors that UWP will no longer be a requirement that holds the store back. Store is in its current condition because it was made to support Windows initiatives rather than be its own thing that prioritized games first. As testing has started, it is in process. Might hear more on it soon.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
The Windows Store is bad, the fact that these games are sold as locked down UWP apps is even worse. Sad to see that Game Pass seems to convince more and more people to support this anyway, but it is what it is. My only hope is that Spencer keeps word and actually creates an open ecosystem for Xbox games on PC, with the perks, pricing and features that PC gamers expect. With both Spencer and Nadella doing a great job to turn things around, I'm gonna keep an open mind and wait and see what they come up with.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It still does this shit? I bought GoW4 at launch and it took me 3 days of back and forth with customer support to get it working. In the end they had to take remote access of my PC and force it to install some update it missed via the old fashioned msdos looking window. I'm kind of amazed that it's still doing it but also kinda not.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I am very much a fan of how the WinStore handles rolling unlocks (*cough*), but it's absurd that we're in 2019 and it still cannot reliably deliver many-gig games.

I recently took advantage of the $2-for-2m Game Pass deal that's going around and figured I'd download Gears 4 in anticipation of a catch-up with a mate next week but paused the download at ~110GB when I realised it was downloading at ~half my line speed. I thought pausing the download, properly exiting the WinStore app, reopening the app and resuming the download would kick things into gear, not unlike the download speed issues PSN tends to have -- but, no, I had to download that 110GB again.

Bleh.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The best part about troubleshooting issues with the Windows Store is that many recommended solutions are simply, "reinstall Windows".

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
UWP is the worst part of it. Forza Horizon 4 runs like absolute dogshit on my mid-range i54690k GTX980 rig for some reason, and I'm just SOL because you can't edit the config or exe, and UWP games can't run in exclusive fullscreen (which I think might be part of my problem). Forced Borderless Windowed mode is fucking bullshit.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
2u3omc.jpg

Seriously. Put the Windows store out of its misery. It was always an Apple wannabe. An answer nobody wanted to a question nobody ever asked.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
Had to uninstall and redownload Crackdown 3 because it would not launch after the splash screen. Yea, the store has issues.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is kind of funny because I was having a good time trying to find my crackdown 3 campaign file to use with the playnite launcher. I didn't realize how hard MS keeps their apps hidden in windows 10. I had to go through a decent amount of work to authorize my computer to find the hidden folder where windows apps are hidden, so I can add the folder to my playnite launcher to add games. It was kind of ridiculous. Don't try to look at that folder though, every file in there looks like a garbage file with weird names. Thankfully playnite understood that mess and found the game with a broad folder search.

On top of this I wanted to change the folder to where my windows 10 games install on my pc since i picked up a second, bigger ssd. I kept looking through the Windows 10 store on where I could change the installation directory. I couldn't find anything at all in the windows 10 store. Not even a link to a redirect of where I should go. After another google search I found out you have to go to the storage application in windows 10 to change the directory where games are installed. Why there isn't a redirect to this in the windows 10 store is beyond me (maybe there is and I didn't see it but I was looking like crazy in the windows 10 store). On top of this, the only thing you can do is change the installation drive of where games (or apps as they call it in storage) can go. I'm guessing this must be because there is more encrypted files that are difficult to view being installed on a new drive. Phil Spencer has been saying for years the store would get better but it's still mostly a piece of garbage.

What does game pass on pc actually get you?

I use it to play MS first party releases on PC. Plus some gamepass games that are play anywhere on pc (except for ashen because, well, thx epic).

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I refuse to interact with the Windows Store. No way I'm going to waste my time and money on something Microsoft clearly doesn't care.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
From the top of my head:

-Crackdown 3
- Gears of War 4
- Forza horizon 4
- Sea of Thieves
- State of Decay 2
- We Happy Few
- Halo Wars
- Halo Wars 2
- ARK survival evolved
- ReCore
- Super luckys tale
& Some smaller games like Ruiner
Interesting. Microsoft's own help articles made it sound like it only benefited you if you had an xbox.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
semi related but I can't believe they're still selling Gears 4 on the store with no warning that the game will most likely crash on Nvidia hardware. an issue that has persisted for nearly a year with no solution in sight.

EDIT: just checked and the issue has been around since June 2017. wtf, get your shit together microsoft

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer for the few people having issues. Only issue I have ever run into was not being able to install RE7:Gold onto my game drive. It would only download to my C drive, though after that it was easy to just move it over to my game drive and it worked fine.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
It's infuriating! I've had a case open with Microsoft for over a month because I can't connect to Xbox live servers through Microsoft games I play on the windows store. Their support is horrendous and all they do is suggest I take the same steps that I already have. I hate the windows store

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Ah.. the monthly Windows Store thread.

Yes it's shit, just like any app trying to use Windows App Store as the front loading api is going to be shit. As if pc should be treated like mobile apps. What a clusterfuck.

The good news is... they dropped Windows mobile finally. So next iteration might be *shock* pc based!

Also, LOFL at the 'few people' hot takes

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I've actually had the opposite experience recently. I just got a new GPU and I can finally play modern PC games, so I downloaded a few Xbox Play Anywhere games and had no problems whatsoever downloading to my D: drive. Here I was thinking "hey, I guess they finally fixed the Microsoft Store downloading problem I heard so much about when Gears 4 and Sea of Thieves came out".

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
semi related but I can't believe they're still selling Gears 4 on the store with no warning that the game will most likely crash on Nvidia hardware. an issue that has persisted for nearly a year with no solution in sight.
The problem is supposedly on Nvidia's end. Nvidia supposedly largely resolved the issue in a driver update last year.