• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, like many of you know there's currently a promotion of 2 months of Game Pass for $2, so even though I dont own an XB, Game Pass for PC is worth at least $2, right? Nope, at least for me, is not worth even for free, since is just a plain waste of time.

RxH1R14.png
I took that screenshot after ~2hours of time wasted trying to get the store to download a simple game and install it on a drive different than C: . First by myself and then by MS support technician. And this on a clean Windows 10 that installed just last Sunday.

For all its deficiencies, my first experience with the Epic store was relatively painless. Download and play.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I had so much trouble getting Forza Horizon 4 up and running the first time. Had to redownload the entire ~60GB because it wouldn't launch due to some corruption.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Also I still haven't figured out where to see my library of available Play Anywhere games. I just need to manually search from the store. It's either not there or it's just super unintuitive to use.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Phil Spencer put's emphasis on this. Windows is a huge gamin platform. If they want to push Play anywhere and gamepass they need really fix these issues and create a new client and store.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Yes, it really is a piece of shit. I remember wanting to try Killer Instinct when it came out and I probably tried to install it a dozen times but the game wouldn't even download completely. It's so broken I wonder how Microsoft just be like "yeah it's fine" and not do anything.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I only played killer instinct from the Windows Store and that worked without issues.

Other than that I can't comment.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't install Crackdown on my desktop after seeing how badly it ran on my laptop with stuttering all over the place.

At least I got my Game Pass $1 refunded.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That looks hilarious but the worst part is still leveraging that by building it into the operating system. We're actually lucky that it's this bad so it doesn't get traction.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Phil Spencer put's emphasis on this. Windows is a huge gamin platform. If they want to push Play anywhere and gamepass they need really fix these issues and create a new client and store.

I have to imagine with their desire to put Game Pass on the PC that they're also looking at revamping the store. I can only hope. I've thankfully never had issues with it, but the amount of people that do is nuts and has to be fixed by the time they launch PC game pass.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what they have at GDC and Build. They have the new Insider build out now that's testing some changes to downloading and installing games so I'm thinking we'll see a bit of a revamp of the store prior to Game Pass officially launching on PC.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Used it for the first time with We Happy Few. Controls wouldn't work and I couldn't for the life of me find the config files to mod it. Might try Cuphead on another day.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm done with the Win10 Store unless I hear consistent feedback that it actually works. About a year after launch, my Gears 4 stopped working. It wouldn't get past the splash screen. Myself and others complained on the games official page. Got zero support, and months later it still wasn't working. My Forza Horizon 3 has random crashes often after about 10 minutes in the main game and 100% crashes trying to start a couple of specific events in a dlc. Same as before, complain on the games official page, zero support. Finally my Forza 7 had been working perfectly until I uninstalled it and tried to download it to a new drive. The download seems to go forever so I had to cancel it. Guess what, zero support. That Store is dead to me.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've personally had no issues with the WinStore (own FH3, GoW4 and FH4 + DLC) but yeah UWP as a platform is undercooked trash and I wouldn't be surprised others have a lot of issues. Updates are an absolute headache to install at times.

Honestly wish they'd just ditch UWP and ship Win32 executables.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It has gotten better from where it was, but it definitely still has a long way to go. The way the platform is, isn't viable for it to be its own thing still (Which is why I think they push so much on the play anywhere). I know there's a beta working on the new features, so hopefully things like installing on another drive and such get better. I'm glad that at minimum the old "Download Reset" thing was fixed. That was pure torture, especially on a slow internet connection.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine with their desire to put Game Pass on the PC that they're also looking at revamping the store. I can only hope. I've thankfully never had issues with it, but the amount of people that do is nuts and has to be fixed by the time they launch PC game pass.
Yeah same here I use it for Sea of thieves and minecraft and have had no problems but I believe people given how many complaints there are.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I had to download Crackdown 3 3 times before it would install properly and actually launch. Just boggles my mind how a company like Microsoft after all this time can't even seem to master the art of downloading and installing don't their store.

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got GoW 4 a week ago, 133GB download, only game I bought a store key for, downloads and won't install, downloaded it 7 or 8 times at this stage, tried wsreset and a few other things, no joy. Gave up.

Best 4euro I ever spent to never use it again.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, like many of you know there's currently a promotion of 2 months of Game Pass for $2, so even though I dont own an XB, Game Pass for PC is worth at least $2, right? Nope, at least for me, is not worth even for free, since is just a plain waste of time.

I took that screenshot after ~2hours of time wasted trying to get the store to download a simple game and install it on a drive different than C: . First by myself and then by MS support technician. And this on a clean Windows 10 that installed just last Sunday.

For all its deficiencies, my first experience with the Epic store was relatively painless. Download and play.

The Microsoft Store on Windows 10 is an actual horror. I own a fine gaming PC and I don't even consider Microsoft Store games an option ... I'm going to play them on my Xbox One.

#waitforbuild

c O m P e T i T i O n

The actual quote was:

LOL at the FUD wait for //build/

It's like, burned into my brain now.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Thanks for complaining. I was thinking about getting a surface go to replace my iPad, but maybe I will hold out until I can just get both an iPad and laptop.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to download Crackdown 3 3 times before it would install properly and actually launch. Just boggles my mind how a company like Microsoft after all this time can't even seem to master the art of downloading and installing don't their store.

I want to say that someone did a dive onto what the issues stem from, and that it was something like it being made for apps, and not big downloads like games require or something like that. It has to be something weird since they've been doing downloads for a long time between Windows Update, Xbox, all their enterprise software, etc.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I just remember the many issues I had getting my free Win10 update from Win7. I think I had to download that update 3 or 4 times. That was enough Windows Store experience for me.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
At least the Epic Launcher can download games.....the Windows store is a complete no-go for me, I won't even take their free games, it's that worthless. I think them tying it to the Windows operating system makes it utter crap.

If Phil Spencer is serious about the PC push, give up this UWP and this integration.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
at least the xbox store has achievements unliike epic shit store. only had an issue once, never again..love windows 10, love the windows store now that i have epic moneyhatting devs to steam games from steam .

windows store 10 for me has always worked, no issues and it gives me xplay, xbox pass, achivements, and other things...

Oct 30, 2017
Windows Store has always been shit and will probably always be shit. I don't buy in to Microsoft's yearly lip service about fixing it. It's been broken since Windows 8 launched years and years ago.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Feel bad for people that run into issues. I have never had any issues on multiple devices. However I don't mess with downloads once I start them. (Busy so I usually forget about them and come back later)

Forza Horizon 4 stopped working for me randomly at one point but I just went into the app settings on Windows 10 and chose reset app which fixed it.

My buddy had issues downloading Gears 4 at launch but after that he's been able to download games with no issues since then.

It's hard to troubleshoot with so much inconsistency in experiences.

I also delay updates , and use an offline profile to login to windows while I login to the Windows store with a different login that was created years ago on Xbox.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they've been adding features and making "improvements" ever since win10 launched but have yet to fix any of the underlying issues with the platform. all of the problems people have with downloading and launching UWP games are the same now as they were two and a half years ago.

it's fucking embarrassing and the only explanation i can think of is that they don't really care.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown 3 has just been cracked. That means a bunch of hackers removed archaic DRM and made a complete, custom installer so you can install the game wherever you want. Why in the hell Microsoft can't do this properly but a group of hackers can, I have no idea.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
It's essentially useless to me because I can't even stream my games to my TV without shit not working somewhere.

If anybody knows how to keep Gears 4 streaming at 60fps via Steam Link, please chime in.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
they've been adding features and making "improvements" ever since win10 launched but have yet to fix any of the underlying issues with the platform. all of the problems people have with downloading and launching UWP games are the same now as they were two and a half years ago.

it's fucking embarrassing and the only explanation i can think of is that they don't really care.
I don't think it's that they don't care.

It's that the original store platform was so poorly implemented, and that incremental updates and fixes aren't going to have a noticeable effect on its worst issues for some people. And the core problems may not be resolved without a substantial rewrite of the codebase from the ground up.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had the exact experience this week trying to download Crackdown 3. The store is simply not fully functional, I immediately canceled and won't look back. It boggles the mind they still rely on and advertise this broken service.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it certainly is. A shame too, the Forza games, Gears of War , even Crackdown 3 - i'd buy those games if it didn't mean running the shit gauntlet that is the windows store.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
I'll never buy anything through that store again. I had to jump through so many hoops just to get gears 4 to download. It was a horrible experience.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It still boggles my mind. Microsoft are supposed to be software wizards and yet they just can't make this steaming pile of shit work after so many years.

If they can't, who else ?

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It still boggles my mind. Microsoft are supposed to be software wizards and yet they just can't make this steaming pile of shit work after so many years.

If they can't, who else ?
Windows Store isn't about creating a product that is good for the consumer. It's about control.