• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Topics.

• Canon Luke.

Votes: 214 43.9%
  • Legends Luke.

Votes: 236 48.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 37 7.6%

• Total voters

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I liked canon Luke more after seeing him for ten seconds in The Force Awakens. Everything I've read of Luke in the legends continuity is a warped, masturbatory facsimile. For all his angst and regret, Hamill's Skywalker in TFA and TLJ feels instantly authentic and compelling. That is Luke. I accept him implicitly.

TROS is a different story, but I don't really think of it as canon anyway.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voted neither, but I'd rather canon than legends.

Ideally I'd rather have a Luke struggling with his Jedi past while actively trying to forge a new republic and deciding what place the Jedi should serve in a post Empire society.

We kinda got that, but he went a little too hermit. My ideal would have probably been too much political drama for the movies though. I also didn't want to just see Saint Luke either like the legends made him out to be.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
How can anyone prefer Luke sitting on an island doing nothing for a decade+?

Reeeeeaallly

You have Classic EU Luke who may have done too much, vs a Luke who does literally, absolutely nothing.

What an exercise in fantasy writing.*groan*
There's technically a six year gap between Ben's turn and Rey's arrival on Ahch To. We don't know how long Luke was actually on the island because he had to find it first.

And to his credit, upon discovering Rey, the outbreak of the war, and the death of his friend Han, he broke his resolution to exile in the space of two days. He's grumpy and bitter, but he wasn't really all that hard to convince.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I liked the idea of "Punished Luke," but I hated how it had to be bundled with him essentially achieving nothing over the course of his life.

Him being (partially?) responsible for Kylo Ren would have been enough for the story arc to work. Undoing the defeat of the Empire and Palpatine on top of that was a real kick in the balls. Maybe I would have liked it more if he survived TLJ and went on to grow and do other things, but as it stands he basically sat on an island for a decade then killed himself once he realized how much time he wasted.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
TFA is not terrible, just... safe. And the characters sill have meaningful impact within that. The line I quoted definitely doesn't ring, imo.

Our OT characters allowed Snoke to rise, create The First Order, and wipe them out. It was a Jedi Master responsible for the training and teaching of Kylo Ren.

Han Solo died a failure trying to save his son. Nobody in the New Republic listened to Leia. And the New Republic was eviscerated.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Our OT characters allowed Snoke to rise, create The First Order, and wipe them out. It was a Jedi Master responsible for the training and teaching of Kylo Ren.

Han Solo died a failure trying to save his son. Nobody in the New Republic listened to Leia. And the New Republic was eviscerated.

They should add an epilogue screen to the Return of the Jedi with the sentence above on the blurays and 4k reprints. Just after the celebration with the Ewoks. "And they were all a failure and died"

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Legend Luke by the slightest hair. Honestly, the whole ST era is just a part of SW I'd rather never revisit again with how disappointingly uninteresting everything in it is.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
Legends.

Disney ruined the Skywalker name, let alone cinemas greatest hero, Luke.

So yeah, legends all the way. Not everything in the EU is great as I don't agree with all of it...but still, LEGENDS over what the ST did to my boy.

*VitoCorleonelookathowtheymassacredmyboy*gif

Oct 26, 2017
I wish we could've had a Legends-ish powerful Luke who could then be truly cut down by Kylo in order to show us, "whoa. Kylo is a bad mofo."

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canon Luke. Theres a much more interesting story there, although admittedly Rise of Skywalker failed to follow up.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Canon Luke by far. Even if there's a lot less material of what he was up to (for now), he is a much more interesting and different character.

Despite being super into Legends material in the 90s and 2000s, Luke was honestly just kinda boring in the EU. I won't say that he was this masturbatory powerfantasy like a lot of other people are saying, but they ultimately wrote him in the safest possible way, both in never having him evolve that much from what he was in the OT and in just having him do all the obvious things that fans wanted to see him do. There was good stuff there for sure, but it's safe in a way that is hilarious when you consider that Disney of all companies ended up doing something that wasn't nearly as safe.

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canon Luke, just found him more interesting the EU Luke. EU Luke was just too much. Old EU had him do some crazy shit. Too much power fantasy bullshit.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Legends Luke because his canon arc feels like a retread of Obi-Wan.
I keep seeing people say it, but it is really not true.

Obi-Wan went into isolation with a specific intent to guard over someone that he knew he was going to take back out in the larger world. Not only did Luke have to do nothing to get him to act, he actually had to be the one to convince Luke that he needed to go out from home.

Luke fled from everything out of shame for his failures in recreating the Jedi order and was basically just waiting until he died. He had to be convinced to go back out into the world by somebody who wanted him to go with her to help save things.

The only real retread is both of them sacrificing themselves to their fallen apprentice to help the new generation survive.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I keep seeing people say it, but it is really not true.

Obi-Wan went into isolation with a specific intent to guard over someone that he knew he was going to take back out in the larger world. Not only did Luke have to do nothing to get him to act, he actually had to be the one to convince Luke that he needed to go out from home.

Luke fled from everything out of shame for his failures in recreating the Jedi order and was basically just waiting until he died. He had to be convinced to go back out into the world by somebody who wanted him to go with her to help save things.

The only real retread is both of them sacrificing themselves to their fallen apprentice to help the new generation survive.
Both of them are fairly disillusion/broken over personal failures and ANH/TLJ is about them finding the spark to get over their failures and fight back.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I like how canon voters only consider TLJ the only real canon. For as much as you want Luke's actions at the end of TLJ to become some universe inspiring legend that brings everyone together, unfortunately TROS shits on that whole concept rendering Luke's sacrifice pretty much pointless.

Legends Luke by far.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Both of them are fairly disillusion/broken over personal failures and ANH/TLJ is about them finding the spark to get over their failures and fight back.
A character who spent two decades of his life watching over the last hope of the galaxy while preparing to support said hope, knowing that he was probably going to end up having to sacrifice himself, isn't somebody broken and disillusioned over his failures. Obi Wan has a purpose. He serves that purpose without hesitation.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
A character who spent two decades of his life watching over the last hope of the galaxy while preparing to support said hope, knowing that he was probably going to end up having to sacrifice himself, isn't somebody broken and disillusioned over his failures. Obi Wan has a purpose. He serves that purpose without hesitation.
Obi-Wan didn't train shit. He didn't do anything to prep Luke outside that one day training lesson in ANH.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Our OT characters already defeated the Empire. They're not super heroes regardless of how much you want th fan fiction to make them so.

They failed, too, but also had impact that helped steer to victory and redemption etc...

It didn't go the way you think.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Obi-Wan didn't train shit. He didn't do anything to prep Luke.
I didn't say preparing Luke. I said he was preparing. We know he spent part of those 19 years learning the whole force ghost thing. We know that he made the effort to save and prepare Anakin's lightsaber to specifically give to Luke. If we get into canonical side materials, we actually now know that he even did indirectly interact with Luke by secretly leaving him things that would encourage him wanting to eventually find a life beyond the farm. We also know that he specifically wrote shit down about the Jedi and his own background knowing Luke was going to eventually find it.

Of course, you're even wrong in saying he did nothing to train Luke, when he did. Obviously he wasn't given a lot of time to directly do so, knowing that Owen Lars kept Luke away from Obi Wan as much as he could, but Obi Wan spent as much time as he could training Luke once he was given the opportunity to.

My point ultimately stands. Obi Wan isn't a broken and disillusioned old man like Luke was. He's somebody with a specific purpose who works towards making it happen, and then unquestioning invests his own hopes in Luke to save the day.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I think that's a fundamental misread of the Alec Guinness character. Obi Wan never quit the Jedi Order and he never abandoned his faith. Luke is the reluctant hero in ANH; Obi Wan has to press him to leave Tatooine and save the princes, and he teaches him about the Force without hesitating.

Luke in TLJ is much closer to Yoda, and then there are dissimilarities; namely, that Luke has forsaken the Jedi, which Yoda never contemplated. The two characters are reluctant masters in isolation, but Yoda's isolation is driven by survival, and Luke's is driven by conviction.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a fundamental misread of the Alec Guinness character. Obi Wan never quit the Jedi Order and he never abandoned his faith. Luke is the reluctant hero in ANH; Obi Wan has to press him to leave Tatooine and save the princes, and he teaches him about the Force without hesitating.

Luke in TLJ is much closer to Yoda, and then there are dissimilarities; namely, that Luke has forsaken the Jedi, which Yoda never contemplated. The two characters are reluctant masters in isolation, but Yoda's isolation is driven by survival, and Luke's is driven by conviction.
Even then, Yoda isn't even a reluctant master in general. He's just a reluctant master to Luke, who he has entirely all reason to not want to immediately train (and then just as immediately gets proven right!)

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I like how canon voters only consider TLJ the only real canon. For as much as you want Luke's actions at the end of TLJ to become some universe inspiring legend that brings everyone together, unfortunately TROS shits on that whole concept rendering Luke's sacrifice pretty much pointless.

Legends Luke by far.
I mean, I definitely think it should have had a more apparent effect in the story, but keep in mind TROS is only about a year later, and it probably contributed to the volume and readiness of the massive fleet of ships at the end. He's still a legend in the canon universe.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
All true, but there's nothing in Legends as good as Luke's arc in TLJ. I don't even think there's anything in Legends as good as Luke's appearance on the summit in TFA. The gulf in quality between the work by Legends authors and Mark Hamill's performance, driven by Johnson's script, is hilariously vast. There's no comparison.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Screw the haters. They were all duped by the cons and Russian bots who spam bad reviews.
Nerrel makes the best case for TLJ.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My head cannon stops at the end of The Last Jedi when Rey is Rey Nobody, Luke isn't self-contradictory and Palpatine is still a cloud of ash floating through the cosmos.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I didn't say preparing Luke. I said he was preparing. We know he spent part of those 19 years learning the whole force ghost thing. We know that he made the effort to save and prepare Anakin's lightsaber to specifically give to Luke. If we get into canonical side materials, we actually now know that he even did indirectly interact with Luke by secretly leaving him things that would encourage him wanting to eventually find a life beyond the farm. We also know that he specifically wrote shit down about the Jedi and his own background knowing Luke was going to eventually find it.

Of course, you're even wrong in saying he did nothing to train Luke, when he did. Obviously he wasn't given a lot of time to directly do so, knowing that Owen Lars kept Luke away from Obi Wan as much as he could, but Obi Wan spent as much time as he could training Luke once he was given the opportunity to.

My point ultimately stands. Obi Wan isn't a broken and disillusioned old man like Luke was. He's somebody with a specific purpose who works towards making it happen, and then unquestioning invests his own hopes in Luke to save the day.
He wasn't disillusioned with the Jedi Order like Luke was, sure. I don't see how you can look at Obi-Wan in TROS and ANH and say how the climax in TROS didn't impact him in terms of his attitude. Even just the notion of just dumping it on Luke showed how his perspective had changed compared to confronting Anakin on Mustafar.

Also do you seriously believe that if Obi-Wan wanted to train Luke that Lars, a moisture farmer, could have stopped him?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Our OT characters already defeated the Empire. They're not super heroes regardless of how much you want th fan fiction to make them so.

They failed, too, but also had impact that helped steer to victory and redemption etc...

It didn't go the way you think.

No, they factually did not.

Palpatine was alive the whole time. The Empire was never defeated and in fact were merely laughing as they antagonized the galaxy further with a reserve force under a tweaked name while amassing an even greater force in secret. This smaller, reserve force was also so powerful that they managed to blow up the entire New Republic.

Our heroes failed, utterly and completely. Their victory was a hollow one.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
He wasn't disillusioned with the Jedi Order like Luke was, sure. I don't see how you can look at Obi-Wan in TROS and ANH and say how the climax in TROS didn't impact him in terms of his attitude. Even just the notion of just dumping it on Luke showed how his perspective had changed compared to confronting Anakin on Mustafar.
The end of RotS has him going immediately from the biggest thing that could have possibly disillusioned him from the path of the Jedi to dutifully taking up a task given to him by Yoda to watch over Luke. His interpretation of Jedi philosophy may have changed some to become more open like Qui Gon's, but he isn't at all disillusioned with the Jedi or his role in the will of the force like Luke was.

Also do you seriously believe that if Obi-Wan wanted to train Luke that Lars, a moisture farmer, could have stopped him?
If Obi Wan was broken and disillusioned about everything to the point of abandoning everything about his belief in what the Jedi ultimately stood for, sure.

But he wasn't and he ultimately watched over Luke from a distance until Luke was ready to seek him out.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Well TLJ Luke is easily my favorite version of the character, but after TROS I really have no desire to ever see Luke again, his failure is truly complete.

Like the glimpses you get of Luke's fledgling jedi order in the comics and all I can think of the whole time is, "man this whole thing is worthless". I wouldn't bite if they tried to put out some Clone Wars esque show of young Luke and Ben, I just don't care anymore, I'd just be thinking of Sheev laughing in the background every time Snoke talks to Ben.

I never cared for Legends Luke either, he was just eh, at least I never felt like I actively wanted to avoid him though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, they factually did not.

Palpatine was alive the whole time. The Empire was never defeated and in fact were merely laughing as they antagonized the galaxy further with a reserve force under a tweaked name while amassing an even greater force in secret. This smaller, reserve force was also so powerful that they managed to blow up the entire New Republic.

Our heroes failed, utterly and completely. Their victory was a hollow one.
Interestingly, the OT heroes only redeeming Vader and not defeating the Empire and the Emperor until Episode 9 was pretty much George Lucas' original concept for Episodes 6 to 9.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Legend Luke forced pulled a giant Super Star Destroyer from space and crashed it into the ground.
Movie Luke couldn't even do anything against a 'tiny' AT-AT.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From a basic level, I prefer the idea that Luke succeeded in establishing a new Jedi order.

But I also appreciate new canon Luke for what he is.