• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks fun, like it could have become a classic if released at time.

atariage.com

Cannonhead Clash (previously Bomb Game) (Atari 2600)

Hi all, I'm back, and I bring with me my new homebrew, tentatively titled "Bomb Game." It is a two player competitive game where there's two things chucking bombs at each other. Controls are pretty simple, left and right to move, fire button to shoot. Holding down the button longer makes your bom...
Also available for free on a Pico-8 build : https://bluswimmer.itch.io/ - the dev is active on Twitter.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Neat idea and execution. Wasn't aware that pico-8 -> Atari 2600 was a path people went but I'd be interested to see how much rework there is to port from pico-8 projects.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
what a great, clever design. thanks for sharing. the Pico-8 version is great, and buying it from itch.io gets you multiple regions' version of the 2600 ROM to load into your own homebrew carts or whathaveyou.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, this would have been amazing if it was released in the early 80s at the 2600's peak.

No other game had multiplayer like that at the time. I would have played the crap out of that with my friends.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see I am not alone to admire this game, sox, samred, flyinj and xir.
I have discovered it on a french retrogaming website, MO5.com

- The destructible AND bordered environment forcing you to move on a limited space.
- The time needed to aim giving more impulse to the canon bowl, but at the cost of making you vulnerable.

The result a great mix of fast-pacing decision, eye+manual coordination and some strategical adaption. Simply brillant.

bluswimmer

Dec 9, 2020
Hey all,

Glad to see interest in Cannonhead Clash! Just wanted to pop in here and clarify a couple things about the game.
  • The 2600 download follows a "pay what you want" model. If you want, you can download it for free!
  • The Pico-8 version actually came AFTER the 2600 version. That one was largely made as a quick Pico-8 programming exercise.
Thanks for all the kind words, and apologies for the late response. If y'all have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,

Glad to see interest in Cannonhead Clash! Just wanted to pop in here and clarify a couple things about the game.
  • The 2600 download follows a "pay what you want" model. If you want, you can download it for free!
  • The Pico-8 version actually came AFTER the 2600 version. That one was largely made as a quick Pico-8 programming exercise.
Thanks for all the kind words, and apologies for the late response. If y'all have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

is it a 4k cart? assembly seems hard.

bluswimmer

Dec 9, 2020
is it a 4k cart? assembly seems hard.
Yes, this is a 4K cartridge. The game has seven bytes of unused ROM, and uses all 128 bytes of the 2600's RAM.

Truthfully, the hardest part of development was maintaining a solid 60 FPS! Certain parts of the code were rather computationally expensive and had to be optimized so that there was no rollover.