• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, looks like it'll be entertaining. Saw some glimpses of Todd in reflections and stuff, but looks like they going for the Freddy 2 kind of approach potentially.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I haven't seen the original in years but quite liked it. Interesting thing to note that I've seen mentioned:

The lead is the baby from the original film that was saved from Candyman.

Oct 28, 2017
Say My Name mixed with the original Philip Glass score? Mwah.

Candyman is easily my favorite horror movie, and has so much more going on in it than most people seem to give it credit for (the first one, sequels are trash). Looking forward to this.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Trailer looked pretty good.

It's been like a decade and a half since I watched the original, now I want to do a rewatch.
I was just thinking about rewatching the original a few days ago.

This looks good, seems to be tied a lot more to the original than was implied.

yeah i want to .... watch the dead meat recaps xD

www.youtube.com

Candyman (1992) KILL COUNT

My interview with Tony Todd on Crypt TV's MEAT UP ā–ŗ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyBxJcxjiXQBuy Candyman on...BluRay ā–ŗ https://amzn.to/3b3oGRL(paid links)...

www.youtube.com

Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (1995) KILL COUNT

Buy Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh on...Streaming (rental option available) ā–ŗ https://amzn.to/2x2BaKF(paid links) - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qual...

...and the third one

www.youtube.com

Candyman 3: Day of the Dead (1999) KILL COUNT

**This episode is coming out on a Wednesday because copyright claims messed up my schedule. The Dentist on Friday!**Buy Candyman 3: Day of the Dead on...Stre...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Looks alright but I've been hearing Tony Todd is only a cameo and the lead character is a new Candyman (seems to be turning into Candyman in the trailer) which sounds dumb as hell.

Hope that doesn't turn out to be true and Tony Todd is used more because he is what made the original so great.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The first movie was such a delightful surprise when I watched it a few years ago. I'm interested in this one but can't say I'm excited just yet. Though, it kind of feels like it could be a re-sequel or whatever they call them instead of a hard remake. If that's the case that would raise my interest a good bit.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think the world needed a Philip Glass/Destiny's Child mashup, but i am very happy to hear that Glass theme from the original movie anyway. movie looks promising IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks alright but I've been hearing Tony Todd is only a cameo and the lead character is a new Candyman (seems to be turning into Candyman in the trailer) which sounds dumb as hell.

Hope that doesn't turn out to be true and Tony Todd is used more because he is what made the original so great.

I think it depends on how they execute it; thematically it can tie it very well with the whole urban legend sort of thing I think. It's hard to say though, I'm not really remembering the first movie that well at the moment but I could see it being somewhat of a natural progression in concept anyway

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"If your gimmick is reliant on teenagers playing truth or dare then you don't have a good gimmick." - Woolie

"You also have no shortage of victims." - Liam

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Candyman is one of my favourite horror movies of all time. Tony Todd was incredible.
This trailer looked.... ehh. But according to imdb Tony Todd will be in it somehow? If so, then day 1 for sure!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate that they're doing a similar take on the story of the first movie, where the only thing Candyman hates more than teenagers calling him is skeptics poking into his legend.

I don't know about the new coat though. I liked the old black trenchcoat.

I can't wait for the final conclusion to Jordan Peele's 90s hip-hop/R&B horror remixes Trilogy.
I can't believe I couldn't guess what song they'd use for this one. It seems so obvious in hindsight.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
not a fan really. missing a lot of the marks that I enjoyed from the original. the white protagonist may be needed to clash with the black and urban mythology (Helen lyle in the original), otherwise you lose that and then it's just white teenagers getting killed in the bathroom at school. but for what

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

In the old movie he was framing the main character for his murders while simultaneously spreading his own legend through the already extremely paranoid populace of Cabrini Green. The trailer seems to imply a similar situation with this movie, although more in the vein of Nightmare on Elm Street 2 than just framing them.

If I had to take any sort of guess at all
New guy moves into Cabrini Green and starts poking his nose in the mythos but remains skeptical, pissing off Candyman, prompting him to go after the new guy as a special case, while simultaneously pinning him for the murders and driving him into madness to become the new Candyman after death much like Helen did at the end of the first movie.

What if Tony Todd cameos but he's his character from Final Destination picking up bodies in Cabrini Green

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, yeah... The brutally grim nature of the original is completely gone here. This has that audience-friendly, horror-lite vibe going on. The Peele style from Get Out and Us isn't Candyman.

and Say My Name? Really? lol

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I haven't seen the original in years but quite liked it. Interesting thing to note that I've seen mentioned:

The lead is the baby from the original film that was saved from Candyman.
Oh shit that didn't even register to me.

Wonder if that means someone's gonna end up accidentally summoning Helen

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I love the original, especially as a lifelong Chicagoan. I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I didn't think the trailer was amazing, but it definitely wasn't bad either. If this is a continuation of the story from the original, I'm really hoping Helen makes an appearance.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, that was bad.

Sampling Destiny's Child is one way to suck any form of tension out of your trailer.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Monkeypaw Production does another excellent trailer. I knew Yahya Abdul-Mateen II was in it didn't know Colman Domingo was in it also. Of course I am going to see this.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
You can change the tone of any movie with a trailer. We won't know the true tone of the movie until we actually see it.

Also, you're better off not comparing it to the first movie cause this is done by a different team and director and they are going to do it with their vision in mind.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp
Seriously, the shit is this?!

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Candyman theme is one of the greatest in horror so mixing it with a Destiny's Child song is beyond fucking stupid.

Also - and I mentioned this in another thread - it really bothers me that Clive Barker's name isn't anywhere on this trailer or the poster.

I'm really hopeful that this pans out however because there looks to be some serious talent behind it.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we've got a lot of fans of the original in here (who all have excellent taste) so how many of you liked Farewell to the Flesh?

Not as good as the first but I always loved the setting and the expansion of the mythology.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we know more of the plot (Anthony McCoy is the protagonist, his mother is present, Helen has been recasted and is a part of the story), this premise is easily the best, most thematically appropriate route they could have gone. Even better than making Todd the central Candyman

"Our names will be written on a thousand walls. Our crimes told and retold by our faithful believers. We shall die together in front of their very eyes and give them something to be haunted by. Come with me and be immortal."

That child facing the consequences of the immortal legacy: "He had a purpose for you, to be another one of his terrible stories"

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Hope there's a 3rd act twist, because the trailer showing the Elm Street 2 scenario kinda iced my excitement.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The assault of stock squishy sound effects had me cracking me up throughout, audio mixer amateur hour over here.

Has potential though, glad to see Yahya Abdul-Mateen in the lead.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I hear you're lookin' for Candyman bitch

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great. The original is one of my favorite movies of all time. I just love how over the top he is šŸ˜‚