• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A almost 100% complete build of this leaked a about a year ago actually.

I'm obviously not gonna link it, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Same deal, just replace "almost 100% complete" with "super early"

Though there's actually two cancelled versions of Battlefront III, the Free Radical Design one everyone knows and "Star Wars: First Assault" which was a smaller downloadable title made internally at Lucasarts, that was supposed to lead into a full third game. Both have builds that were leaked.

Just to clairfy the Star Wars part of your post, First Assault was actually a separate product just to test the waters for a Star Wars-themed Arcade Shooter. If I remember correctly, it was also supposed to test the waters for interest in Battlefront 3 as well, as the product looks completely like a cash-in on the Call of Duty-clone hype.

Anyways, Sleeping Dogs 2 honestly would have been my favorite game if it came out, no matter the quality of the game, mainly because of being more sandbox than the first game and Triad Wars, introducing procedurally generated missions, and because of the worldstate being independent of the player, while still being very reactive to the player's actions. It's innovation I would have liked to see by now, but we know how the industry is, focusing on profitable returns, rather than continued innovation. Guess I'll stick with playing Call of Chernobyl with the Warfare mod until then.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sleeping Dogs 2 likely could have been recovered in some form, if a guy who had bought a PS4 development tool had listened to me. Ah well.

Some of the Prey 2 audio logs that Ive been posting:
https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/922228272506769408
https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/915722611560206336
https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/915381405009539073

Don't think they've been seen or heard before.

One of the Xbox canned games that I dont think got enough attention when I posted is a demo by Grin called "The Unknown." Really fun thing

OP
OP
AAMARMO

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sleeping Dogs 2 likely could have been recovered in some form, if a guy who had bought a PS4 development tool had listened to me. Ah well.

Some of the Prey 2 audio logs that Ive been posting:
https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/922228272506769408
https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/915722611560206336
https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/915381405009539073

Don't think they've been seen or heard before.

One of the Xbox canned games that I dont think got enough attention when I posted is a demo by Grin called "The Unknown." Really fun thing

Have you seen this Document before?
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...s-sleeping-dogs-sequel-well-never-get-to-play

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yep I saw it. Very nearly could have had much more though.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Long story short, there was an auction of hardware after they closed down. Sony found out because of a reddit post that I recommended get taken down, but the game press picked up on it. Sony requested it back

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of an expected answer in threads like these, but I'm always curious how that Warcraft-based adventure game Blizzard canned would have turned out.

kiww6oenhoq5dsmz1jyg.png
This was leaked a year or so ago, wasn't it? I'm certain I have a copy sitting on my HDD.

Kage

Oct 27, 2017
landstalkerPSP.jpg

Landstalker for the PSP. Sure it seemed to be a remake rather than a new game but still. The Megadrive game remains one of my favourite games of all time.

Core Design's cancelled Tomb Raider Anniversary :(

Oh man I haven't seen this is years. After the CD Anniversary was released I assumed this video was leaked footage of that but nope, that's deffo classic Tomb Raider gameplay. This would have been so much better than what we got.

I can only hope that with this current nostalgia wave, especially after the Resident evil re-releases doing well someone realizes that there might indeed be an audience for classic Tomb Raider. I'd even take a kickstarted spiritual successor.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo killing Project Bean, otherwise known as GoldenEye XBLA, around 2008 was a travesty. The game looked incredible. Even better than 4J's Perfect Dark remaster from a technical/art perspective. You could switch between modern and classic graphics at the press of a button. It looked great, it sounded great, and if PD XBLA is anything to go by, it would have played great.

But then... then there's TimeSplitters. Let's talk about TimeSplitters. After Haze did not turn out well, Free Radical drifted around a bit and started working on TimeSplitters 4. They went back to their old engine, and were aiming for a 60fps next generation TimeSplitters sequel. In their infinite wisdom, Crytek decided that TimeSplitters was too much of a risk and killed the project. Only around 300-400,000 people bought TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. It's not exactly a super popular IP. Also by 2010-ish gamers had decided that "colour" was poison and everything had to be as dark and gritty and moody as possible. For all their crap, Crytek were not exactly wrong about the state of the market. So they assigned Free Radical, now Crytek UK, to work on Crysis multiplayer and the console port of Crysis 1. Afterwards, they were put to work on Homefront: The Revolution. We'll come back to that. (BTW, HFTR is a great game all things considered. Just putting that out there.)

Around this period, Free Radical/Crytek UK worked on a remaster of TimeSplitters 2. This disappeared without a trace because, you know, Crytek and stuff.

What happened after this remains a bit unclear. A programmer named Matt Phillips (creator of that awesome looking Mega Drive Tanglewood game) and a few other Crytek UK programmers created a NEW source port of TimeSplitters 2. Totally different to the old remaster project.

Homefront: The Revolution was still in development under THQ/Crytek at this point. It was a linear FPS game at this point. I'd love to get my hands on that version, BTW.

Somehow when Crytek sold HFTR to Deep Silver, who proceeded to hire the entire development team as a new in-house studio Dambuster Studios, the TimeSplitters 2 "demo" was included. I think it was some kind of technicality where all HFTR assets were sold. This resulted in the TimeSplitters 2 arcade cabinet in HFTR. Runs very well. 4K on PS4 Pro. Proper mouse aim. That kinda thing.

But there's something very off about the TimeSplitters 2 demo. For one thing, it's 1.69GB. For another, it's... I mean, it's literally the entire game. I'm sitting here looking at the file list and everything is here. Every level. Every bit of dialogue. Every piece of music. Even random bits and bobs from Second Sight. In Homefront's exe file, the demo is referred to as TimeSplitters 2 Redux. And the exe has a lot of text baked into it that extends way beyond the content in the demo.

My theory is that TimeSplitters 2 Redux is a full port of TimeSplitters 2 for PC/PS4/XBO, but Dambuster Studios were forced to cripple it in order to stop Crytek from doing what Crytek does best. Whatever loophole let them keep a "demo" of TimeSplitters 2 in HFTR, it wouldn't extend to the full game. Regardless, all the assets of the full game are sitting in HFTR's archives. I'm pretty confident that it could be hacked into a full version.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will ever cut as deeply as the announcement and subsequent cancelation of Mega Man Legends 3. I waited just about a decade for a game I never ever expected to come, had it announced, and then had it promptly torn away in the worst way humanly possible.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Fortress. Final Fantasy XII is one of my favorites in the series, and I'd have loved to explore that world more. I think Grin had some incredible concept art, and I'm genuinely curious as to what their take on Final Fantasy could have been.

Fortress_-_Giant_Malboro.jpg

latest

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian Entertianment's Stormlands

TKGMA6b.jpg

za8uq7g.jpg

FyerPgI.jpg

Some of the design concepts (such as the plot concept What if evil won? ) would go on to appear in Tyranny.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This and Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Platinum made a great game, but I feel like the original direction of Rising was much more of a traditional MGS vibe and would have had the story to match. Being set between 2 and 4 was a much more interesting premise as well.

As for Final Fantasy: Versus XIII. We were promised city and urban environments. We got countryside rural stuff.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo killing Project Bean, otherwise known as GoldenEye XBLA, around 2008 was a travesty. The game looked incredible. Even better than 4J's Perfect Dark remaster from a technical/art perspective. You could switch between modern and classic graphics at the press of a button. It looked great, it sounded great, and if PD XBLA is anything to go by, it would have played great.

Every time I see this one come up I'm sad. I love PD64 on the One, but damn I wish we had GoldenEye as well, looked so good :(

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Crank The Weasel, could have been "the cuphead of 3D platformers"
One look at that footage tells me they didn't have a lot of hard assets finished before it got canned. I've seen a lot of concept art for this before when I researched the origins of The Floigan Bros. (Episode Two of which got cancelled after years of arrested development). This would have been a fun game and a nice counterpart to Dr. Muto.

landstalkerPSP.jpg

Landstalker for the PSP. Sure it seemed to be a remake rather than a new game but still. The Megadrive game remains one of my favourite games of all time.
At least we got Steal Princess...no wait, that's cold comfort at best and a rather underwhelming game for Climax after so many years. Having this remake would have been so cool.

Nothing will ever cut as deeply as the announcement and subsequent cancelation of Mega Man Legends 3. I waited just about a decade for a game I never ever expected to come, had it announced, and then had it promptly torn away in the worst way humanly possible.
The Devroom fallout pissed me off at Capcom, enough that I read up about their recent state and started to distrust them even more deeply. But it's a shame that Inafune's been largely the most active advocate for games and worlds like this. Halcyon Plume looks like it could be good, and that's looking a bit more promising than Red Ash.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I was totally looking for to the Chrono Trigger remake on N64, but of course ceases and desist, and all that other nonsense.

I thought the person that decided to take it on did a pretty incredible job with it, considering the time it was constructed, and the resources that were available to him.

Really wish it was actually made available to the public, but aw well. What could've been... :*(

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Thrill Kill

Game was pretty much finished but never released because, as far as I know, it was too violent at the time. Still didn't stop me from playing it. Recently revisited it and it holds up.

It ended up being reskinned and released as Wu-Tang Shaolin Style, but it wasn't the same.

Aytrial

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
Enders Project (Zone of the Enders).

Zone of the Enders 2 is one of my all-time favourite games, so I was extremely excited to see where Kojima was going to go with this new occultist interpretation of Zone of Enders. Unfortunately, Konami's extremely poor handling of the HD Collection killed the project before we got to see anything more than concept art and a statue of Jehuty's new design.

Super Butoden

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid: Rising, Final Fantasy: Versus XIII, and Silent Hills are the cancelled games I once had the highest hopes for. Fortunately, Rising would go on to become Revengeance, Versus XIII's replacement turned out to be an all-time personal favorite, and conceptually, to some extent, Silent Hills may live on through Death Stranding. A title being cancelled, in and of itself, is never a good thing. However, in some cases, great things can come of a game's cancellation, and I think we're seeing that with the latest Final Fantasy, in particular, as XV's framework will seemingly be something of a blueprint for Hajime Tabata's next title.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
-Final Fantasy XIII Versus
-Shadow Hearts 3 (which would had you playing as Yuri's father and tells the events of the past)
"Shadow Hearts artist Miyako Kato prepared illustrations of Jinpachiro Hyuga (Ben Hyuga), Yuri's father, and Kiheita Inugami, Kurando's father, who would've been the protagonists of Shadow Hearts III."
Shadow-_Hearts-_Creator-_New-_Game_01-02-16_002.jpg

-Xenosaga's remaining parts
-Sakaguchi's Cry On
Cry-On-Trailer_12-27-14.jpg

943_0007.jpg

cryon03.jpg

Draccus

Oct 27, 2017
England
The cancellation of Silent Hills still burns. Then Konami go and release a Silent Hill Pachinko to add insult to injury.

Damn you, Konami.

Damn you.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
What strikes me the most, is that when browsing through my old gaming mags (from like 10-15 years ago) there are tons of games that eventually got cancelled - sometimes close to 50% announced games, that were already being previewed by the press or just mentioned in a short snippet in a news sections. I remember reading those articles and some games even had that vibe of "yeah, that will get axed, no way this game releases". Honestly, I kinda miss those times, because nowadays when something gets shown you are sure you will be able to play it. That also makes few outliers, like Silent Hills and Scalebound even more significant.

Kapus

Oct 27, 2017
Under your bed
jj3logo_3.gif

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is probably my all-time favourite 2D platformer. It was fast, creative, exciting, it had the best elements of Mario, Sonic and Contra together and it was glorious. It even had a level editor, a fantastic soundtrack. Everything was great.

When everyone was pushing towards 3D thanks to Mario 64, Jazz Jackrabbit tried to. The game was never finished, albeit a playable version did eventually leak. It was definitely solid and had a lot of the things that made JJ2 great. We're getting goddamn Bubsy back but Jazz Jackrabbit is still stuck in the 90's. What an incredible shame. A simple Jazz Jackrabbit 2 HD remake for X1, PS4 and Switch would blow people's minds, it's such an amazing platformer. Then we could be seeing a possible revival of a Jazz Jackrabbit 3. But alas, nothing points to that ever happening. For shame.

I'll pour one for Jazz Jackrabbit 3, the game that should have made the series bigger than ever, but that eventually never materialized.

108141_jazz-jackrabbit-3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

JazzBeach.jpg

EDIT: All the screens are from the leaked unfinished version, hence the rough edges.

Thank you so much for this post<3 Jazz Jackrabbit was my childhood and to this day I've been yearning for him to make a comeback. Come to think of it, wasn't there a bizarre licensed Jazz game for the GBA? what was up with that?

Aside from Jazz, I wish Mega Man Universe saw the light of day. An official Mega Man level creator ala Super Mario Maker would have been great, and the stylized interpretations of all the characters honestly gave it an original feel.

latest

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much for this post<3 Jazz Jackrabbit was my childhood and to this day I've been yearning for him to make a comeback. Come to think of it, wasn't there a bizarre licensed Jazz game for the GBA? what was up with that?

As a kid I didn't understand the editor well enough, though I remember changing some levels with branching paths to make sure I could go to both areas and collect ALL gems and secrets. I knew the location of every collectible by heart in every level. If an HD remake came out for the X1 with the full editor I'd spend an unhealthy amount of time on it. The most insulting part is that Epic toyed around with the IP not unlike Microsoft with Conker, but never bothered doing an actual game of it. A freaking reedition or remastered would work, even modders figured out how to up the resolution, I don't believe Epic wouldn't be able to with or without the source code. They simply don't care about their origins, hence their treatment of the Unreal and Unreal Tournament saga. Sad.

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK

But then... then there's TimeSplitters. Let's talk about TimeSplitters. After Haze did not turn out well, Free Radical drifted around a bit and started working on TimeSplitters 4. They went back to their old engine, and were aiming for a 60fps next generation TimeSplitters sequel. In their infinite wisdom, Crytek decided that TimeSplitters was too much of a risk and killed the project. Only around 300-400,000 people bought TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. It's not exactly a super popular IP. Also by 2010-ish gamers had decided that "colour" was poison and everything had to be as dark and gritty and moody as possible. For all their crap, Crytek were not exactly wrong about the state of the market. So they assigned Free Radical, now Crytek UK, to work on Crysis multiplayer and the console port of Crysis 1. Afterwards, they were put to work on Homefront: The Revolution. We'll come back to that. (BTW, HFTR is a great game all things considered. Just putting that out there.)

Around this period, Free Radical/Crytek UK worked on a remaster of TimeSplitters 2. This disappeared without a trace because, you know, Crytek and stuff.

What happened after this remains a bit unclear. A programmer named Matt Phillips (creator of that awesome looking Mega Drive Tanglewood game) and a few other Crytek UK programmers created a NEW source port of TimeSplitters 2. Totally different to the old remaster project.

Homefront: The Revolution was still in development under THQ/Crytek at this point. It was a linear FPS game at this point. I'd love to get my hands on that version, BTW.

Somehow when Crytek sold HFTR to Deep Silver, who proceeded to hire the entire development team as a new in-house studio Dambuster Studios, the TimeSplitters 2 "demo" was included. I think it was some kind of technicality where all HFTR assets were sold. This resulted in the TimeSplitters 2 arcade cabinet in HFTR. Runs very well. 4K on PS4 Pro. Proper mouse aim. That kinda thing.

But there's something very off about the TimeSplitters 2 demo. For one thing, it's 1.69GB. For another, it's... I mean, it's literally the entire game. I'm sitting here looking at the file list and everything is here. Every level. Every bit of dialogue. Every piece of music. Even random bits and bobs from Second Sight. In Homefront's exe file, the demo is referred to as TimeSplitters 2 Redux. And the exe has a lot of text baked into it that extends way beyond the content in the demo.

My theory is that TimeSplitters 2 Redux is a full port of TimeSplitters 2 for PC/PS4/XBO, but Dambuster Studios were forced to cripple it in order to stop Crytek from doing what Crytek does best. Whatever loophole let them keep a "demo" of TimeSplitters 2 in HFTR, it wouldn't extend to the full game. Regardless, all the assets of the full game are sitting in HFTR's archives. I'm pretty confident that it could be hacked into a full version.

Holy shit, this post is wild. I really hope someone can make it happen.

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK

Holy shit, this post is wild. I really hope someone can make it happen.

Deleted member 16039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 1997, I learned that Factor 5 was working on a Turrican game for the N64. Since then, I've been waiting for a new official Turrican, playing the unofficial ones (like the oustanding Hurrican by Poke53280) while the new Turrican got delayed, cancelled, restarted, rebooted, and finally died.

Turrican 64 (N64) > Thornado (N64-GC) > Turrican: Cyclone (PS3) > Turrican (PS3) > ?

It's been 22 years since the last Turrican. Now that Factor 5 is back, got the rights back and even Manfred Trenz on board, the time is now.

Alfman

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that one wasn't cancelled per se, I think it just developed into "another" game. I'm talking about mgs5 and kojima talking about a stealth game with the Boss during WW2. I'm just so curious what crazy shit Kojima would have came up with. But instead we got
vocal cords parasites
and an unfinished story.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Timesplitters 4 only existed as a small demo side project thing at FRD if it makes anyone feel better. Battlefront 3 was the main focus, but you couldn't have people sitting idling by. So that and Battlefront 4 were being toyed with, the latter of which considered adding a third layer to the ground and space in a sea layer.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Timesplitters 4 only existed as a small demo side project thing at FRD if it makes anyone feel better. Battlefront 3 was the main focus, but you couldn't have people sitting idling by. So that and Battlefront 4 were being toyed with, the latter of which considered adding a third layer to the ground and space in a sea layer.

Yeah, i actually discovered some Battlefront 4 concept art while browsing Artstation at one point.
phil-baxter-bf4-feluciaconcept1.jpg

phil-baxter-bf4-feluciaconcept4.jpg

phil-baxter-bf4-feluciaconcept3.jpg

phil-baxter-bf4-feluciaconcept2.jpg

phil-baxter-bf4-plant.jpg

Definitely tripped me up a bit when i first saw it. Same artist also posted some concept art for Timesplitters 4.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana jones at the Iron Phoenix would have been a solid follow up to Fate of Atlantis, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Instead we got the game as a series of comics from Dark Horse.