• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the summary of the video (can't watch it right now).

While I can see and agree to your point, it looks like it's more talking about boycotting than cancel culture though? Because for me, cancel culture is more about how people specifically look for dirt for no specific reason, or the need to react the fastest way possible to the tiniest bit of potential wrongdoing from someone.

Of course the exemples used at the are just needed consequence and responses from employers, but I feel like it's not really getting at what cancel culture is supposed to be. Or maybe I'm wrong and that's not what it is.
This isn't something that actually happens commonly and in fact one of the only examples of this I can think of is alt-right shitheels digging up Gunn's old tweets, which is covered in the video.
So by your own definition of Cancel Culture, Cancel Culture really isn't a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, careers don't have to be destroyed for cancel culture to be a thing.

Kevin Hart is going to be fine but he lost out on hosting the Oscars because people dug up some shitty things he said a decade ago.

Dave Chappelle will be A-OK but instead of simply expressing their own distaste with some of his material, critics were calling for Netflix to banish him from their platform altogether.

That's cancel culture in a nutshell and it's undeniable.
That's a incredibly one-sided borderline intentionally misleading characterization of the Hart debacle but cool.

Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
If no one is being cancelled (and no, losing a few twitter followers isn't "cancelled"), then it's not fucking cancel culture. Losing a job because you acted shitty isn't being cancelled, that's companies using their right to fire people when they act in ways they don't want their employees acting. You can just look at who are peddling the whole "woe am us, cancel culture is the blight of our society" shit the hardest and that should make it clear that there's very little in the form of genuine, thoughtful, factual argumentation behind it. It's the same people who use "SJW" unironically.

Then call it "callout culture" instead if that makes it easier.

As I said before, you attempting to alter the definition of something to claim that it isn't happening won't convince anyone because we see it happen right in front of us everyday. Your continued insistence, as well as the person who made this video, only reinforces that you're that desperate to deny it.

If you condone acting like an asshole on the internet, have at it. But as you keep saying, actions have consequences and pretending that you're not doing what you're doing by leaning on the world "cancel" only reinforces that you lack integrity and conviction. At least have the balls to own what you're doing.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't something that actually happens commonly and in fact one of the only examples of this I can think of is alt-right shitheels digging up Gunn's old tweets, which is covered in the video.
So by your own definition of Cancel Culture, Cancel Culture really isn't a thing.

Just from a quick google search, it happenned to Trevor Noah several times, Dan Harmon, Lil Nas X, James Gunn as you said, Damon Wayans Jr, Chrissy Teigen, Sarah Silverman, Iggy Azalea, Shawn Mendes and many other people.

It happens a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Just from a quick google search, it happenned to Trevor Noah several times, Dan Harmon, Lil Nas X, James Gunn as you said, Damon Wayans Jr, Chrissy Teigen, Sarah Silverman, Iggy Azalea, Shawn Mendes and many other people.

It happens a lot.
A. The majority of the cases you mentioned are not people deliberately searching for negative information
B. Even if they were 9 people is not "a lot"

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you seriously want to make it a thing huh?

I was on the fence about the whole cancel culture thing because I do think sometimes people on the left are quick to dogpile on someone who might have done a thing wrong, oftentimes it seems before all the facts come out.

But, that's probably a separate thing. And even so, these people aren't actually being "canceled". More often than not it seems these days the term is being used by those that are upset at "pc culture" and "sjw's" and just yearn for the "good old days" when everyone could just do and say whatever the fuck they want without any repercussions.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Then call it "callout culture" instead if that makes it easier.

As I said before, you attempting to alter the definition of something to claim that it isn't happening won't convince anyone because we see it happen right in front of us everyday. Your continued insistence, as well as the person who made this video, only reinforces that you're that desperate to deny it.

If you condone acting like an asshole on the internet, have at it. But as you keep saying, actions have consequences and pretending that you're not doing what you're doing by leaning on the world "cancel" only reinforces that you lack integrity and conviction. At least have the balls to own what you're doing.
You can't be for real. If the name is cancel culture and the people most throwing around the evils of cancel culture complain about how unjustly Good Men & Women are "cancelled" & shunned by society due to it, then why the fuck would it be called callout culture? Calling out people isn't cancelling them. Calling out people isn't new. Facing (short-term) consequences for certain types of actions (more often) is perhaps a bit more recent, but the underlying mechanics are just boycotting & callouts of years, centuries, millenia past.

Again, this hysteria surrounding cancel culture and its supposedly massive negative impact on society comes from a very disingenuous place and almost entirely from the right (and weak-ass centrists who side with the right most of the time), because society (in parts) has become more and more unaccepting of their blatant bigotry & harassment. It's the same people who think #metoo has gone too far after, like, 3 prominent members of Hollywood were accused and saw some consequences.

Like, ultimately, I do not give a single iota of a fuck about what it's called. If you sleep better because you can call it something else, be my guest. It's still total & utter BS hysteria peddled by the right that is mostly behind it all. Anyone with half a brain can see nothing behind it is genuine or worth giving a shit about when comedians whine about being persecuted when their bigoted crap doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A. The majority of the cases you mentioned are not people deliberately searching for negative information

The Tweet used in the Time article about Trevor Noah

The article about Dan Harmon:

It began to go viral this weekend after it resurfaced on 4Chan and was then shared by far-right subreddit The_Donald. One 4Chan user justified sharing the video created by Harmon – who has been a vocal critic of the US president, Donald Trump – as retribution for the downfall of Roseanne Barr: "If they get to take scalps for someone making racist jokes, we get to take scalps for them making paedophilia joke."

Article about Damon Wayans Jr

After it was announced that Damon Wayans Jr. would be the executive producer of the new CW show Glamorous, which focuses on a gender non-conforming YouTuber, some anti-LGBTQ+ tweets surfaced. But instead of denying and turning it into an ordeal, Wayans Jr. took responsibility for his "hurtful" words.

Article about Sarah Silverman

A number of LGBT+ comedians have defended Sarah Silverman after Nick Cannon resurfaced old tweets they had posted containing homophobic slurs and asked "if there was any backlash here".

Most if not every instance of what I've linked is that.

B. Even if they were 9 people is not "a lot"

I'm not going to list you every single instance where it happened, you said that you just remembered one and I should you exemples. You can search for more if you want.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love this video, it fits perfectly with his style. like how every time he mentions someone who's "cancelled" he mentions how they're still getting a ton of work and are beloved

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't be for real. If the name is cancel culture and the people most throwing around the evils of cancel culture complain about how unjustly Good Men & Women are "cancelled" & shunned by society due to it, then why the fuck would it be called callout culture? Calling out people isn't cancelling them. Calling out people isn't new. Facing (short-term) consequences for certain types of actions (more often) is perhaps a bit more recent, but the underlying mechanics are just boycotting & callouts of years, centuries, millenia past.

Again, this hysteria surrounding cancel culture and its supposedly massive negative impact on society comes from a very disingenuous place and almost entirely from the right (and weak-ass centrists who side with the right most of the time), because society (in parts) has become more and more unaccepting of their blatant bigotry & harassment. It's the same people who think #metoo has gone too far after, like, 3 prominent members of Hollywood were accused and saw some consequences.

Like, ultimately, I do not give a single iota of a fuck about what it's called. If you sleep better because you can call it something else, be my guest. It's still total & utter BS hysteria peddled by the right that is mostly behind it all. Anyone with half a brain can see nothing behind it is genuine or worth giving a shit about when comedians whine about being persecuted when their bigoted crap doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

I think you're focusing too much on the use of the word "cancel" and taking it too literally. It doesn't really matter what it's called, the behaviour people refer to a "cancel culture" exists. It happens on Era alone quite frequently, more than it should. I don't think "Cancel" has ever meant "Person is literally exiled from society and never works again", it's more just "lets try and stop talking about the person". In a lot (most?) cases it's probably justified, but the exceptions are what makes up "cancel culture". The people who jump at the chance to "cancel" someone without actually checking to make sure if they're justified in doing so.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Cancel Culture is a dumb term because it's generally used to the point that everyone's so touchy nowadays, when the same "cancelling" has been going on since fucking always. It's not some new "culture" at all, it's only real change it's not just coming from a "wholesome Family Values™" angle anymore

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It happens a lot.
all of these people are insanely successful. some of them have been #1 within the past month on the charts.

who was cancelled lol

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're focusing too much on the use of the word "cancel" and taking it too literally. It doesn't really matter what it's called, the behaviour people refer to a "cancel culture" exists. It happens on Era alone quite frequently, more than it should. I don't think "Cancel" has ever meant "Person is literally exiled from society and never works again", it's more just "lets try and stop talking about the person". In a lot (most?) cases it's probably justified, but the exceptions are what makes up "cancel culture". The people who jump at the chance to "cancel" someone without actually checking to make sure if they're justified in doing so.
Yes, and as I already have said plenty of times, that kind of "cancelling" isn't in any way new. It's boycotting. Why not call it "boycott culture", then? Because people would be a lot more understanding of it. The right just tries to make it something evil like they are trying to frame SJWs as oppressors worse than the alt right nazis shooting up joints & putting children into consentration camps.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Cancel Culture to me is just another way of shutting down people that have a criticism. People just want to be homophobic, racist, sexiest, just plan bigoted without consequences

Deleted member 39450

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA

Are you sure?

You seem irrationally angry and insistent that your definition is the correct one, which is actually kind of cute.

And I don't think that this is so much a right-left disparity, but more of a generational one. People like Obama and Van Jones (who's about my age) have all weighed in on the cancel culture phenomenon, so I think highlighting it as a "right-wing" hysteria is just yet another way for you to attempt to legitimize behaving badly on the internet.

Again, if you want to be an asshole on the internet, that's completely your choice. But then don't complain that the world is such a terrible place and that you had nothing to do with it. We see you quite clearly for what you are.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and as I already have said plenty of times, that kind of "cancelling" isn't in any way new. It's boycotting. Why not call it "boycott culture", then? Because people would be a lot more understanding of it. The right just tries to make it something evil like they are trying to frame SJWs as oppressors worse than the alt right nazis shooting up joints & putting children into consentration camps.

because for 15 minutes on Twitter it was popular to say/joke "so and so is cancelled" and the right felt like it was a good way to drive a wedge between the left and hollywood or whatever the fuck their aim is

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You made up your own definition for it then lol

I guess thats not your fault, a side effect of cancel culture not being a real thing is that people just call any online behavior they don't like "cancel culture"

I mean unless everyone thinks the same way on every single issue than yes cancel culture can't exist in your definition. The thing is that some people adhere to it, some don't participate but acknowledged the wrongdoing of the individual and others don't care.

By your definition, you can't cancel anyone because most people just don't care. That doesn't mean that cancel culture doesn't exist.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean unless everyone thinks the same way on every single issue than yes cancel culture can't exist in your definition. The thing is that some people adhere to it, some don't participate but acknowledged the wrongdoing of the individual and others don't care.

By your definition, you can't cancel anyone because most people just don't care. That doesn't mean that cancel culture doesn't exist.
Wow, now I'm being cancelled!

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
If cancel culture isn't a thing, then we need a new term for the kind of internet mob justice that targets everyday people - read, NOT CELEBRITIES - who are caught up in online harassment campaigns based on perceived wrongdoings or disproportionate responses to mistakes.

Because real people are getting hurt by this, whether it be destroying their reputations or causing lasting psychological damage.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure?

You seem irrationally angry and insistent that your definition is the correct one, which is actually kind of cute.

And I don't think that this is so much a right-left disparity, but more of a generational one. People like Obama and Van Jones (who's about my age) have all weighed in on the cancel culture phenomenon, so I think highlighting it as a "right-wing" hysteria is just yet another way for you to attempt to legitimize behaving badly on the internet.

Again, if you want to be an asshole on the internet, that's completely your choice. But then don't complain that the world is such a terrible place and that you had nothing to do with it. We see you quite clearly for what you are.
Acting badly? Lol. What do you know of my behaviour?

People talking about it says nothing about its legitimacy. People have drank the Kool Aid of dumber things than cancel culture. Cancel culture as some kind of large scale, uncontrollable, chaotic & unjust way of bringing down undeserving people simply isn't a thing. No one is being cancelled, not even people who genuinely deserve it (Roman Polanski and his ilk). People being hyperbolic and overly negative? Sure, but that applies to a vast majority of interactions on the Interwebz, not just wanting to hold people accountable for their actions & not wanting to give bigots larger and larger platforms. "Cancel culture" isn't the issue. Whining about cancel culture is pretty much the same as the pearl-clutching whining about the evils of antifa protests at the first instance of some damage to buildings or some such

You are blind if you don't see that much like SJW, outrage culture and such are mostly thrown around by the right, so is cancel culture because it's hitting the right the hardest because their bigots, child rapists and other deplorables can't get away with their behaviour as easily as before.

Pray do tell what I clearly am?

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's not what people (or at least I) mean when talking about cancel culture. I'm talking about the group of people who immediately jump to "cancelling" at the first hint of any sort of unsavoury action from the person in question. The type who read a thread title alone and say "Fuck that piece of shit" without giving a single fuck about checking to see if they're actually correct to do so or not. It happens on Era quite frequently, someone will create a thread with a title like "X celebrity being racist on twitter" and people will immediately start calling that person a piece of shit (and in some cringeworthy examples, LITERALLY ask "can we cancel X now?") without checking to see if X was actually racist. There have been at least 4 cases in the past 2 months that I can recall where this has happened (not just with racism, that was just an example).

There's definitely a lust to "cancel" people on the internet, to the point where people will start flaming at the slightest hint of an accusation without bothering to check if the accusation is true. That's cancel culture to me, which is completely different from boycotting.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what people (or at least I) mean when talking about cancel culture. I'm talking about the group of people who immediately jump to "cancelling" at the first hint of any sort of unsavoury action from the person in question. The type who read a thread title alone and say "Fuck that piece of shit" without giving a single fuck about checking to see if they're actually correct to do so or not. It happens on Era quite frequently, someone will create a thread with a title like "X celebrity being racist on twitter" and people will immediately start calling that person a piece of shit (and in some cringeworthy examples, LITERALLY ask "can we cancel X now?") without checking to see if X was actually racist. There have been at least 4 cases in the past 2 months that I can recall where this has happened (not just with racism, that was just an example).

There's definitely a lust to "cancel" people on the internet, to the point where people will start flaming at the slightest hint of an accusation without bothering to check if the accusation is true. That's cancel culture to me, which is completely different from boycotting.

Exactly.

Nov 8, 2017

This!!! And it's crazy that the folks that do the "canceling" are doing it in the name of accountability, but they will wash their hands of any and all accountability when they're wrong or their actions lead to something unintended.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
People that don't believe in the cancel culture need to remember this forum was made because of it lol.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love that it talks about apologizing, and indeed, too many issues come when people feel the need to defend every ounce of their pride.

...and for what?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

And some people complain about outrage at the first sight of some criticism. Doesn't meant there's an actual outrage culture. I'd say these all are just a part of Interwebz larger hyperbole culture that infests most discussions, including but not limited to wanting to boycott people who are perceived to be (unapologetic/repeat) bigots. Plus just how many of those people are genuinely about to "cancel" someone and who are just using it more or less ironically? The left that I follow generally doesn't use "cancelling" as anything but ironic drivel.

If something is called _cancel_ culture, then some kind of cancelling should actually be a part of it. Someone just saying "CANCELLED" doesn't mean anything.

OP
OP
Nightbird

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If cancel culture isn't a thing, then we need a new term for the kind of internet mob justice that targets everyday people - read, NOT CELEBRITIES - who are caught up in online harassment campaigns based on perceived wrongdoings or disproportionate responses to mistakes.

Because real people are getting hurt by this, whether it be destroying their reputations or causing lasting psychological damage.

You named two terms in your post already:

- Internet Mob Justice
- Online Harassment Campaign

Both also more precise terms than "Cancel Culture"

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And some people complain about outrage at the first sight of some criticism. Doesn't meant there's an actual outrage culture. I'd say these all are just a part of Interwebz larger hyperbole culture that infests most discussions, including but not limited to wanting to boycott people who are perceived to be (unapologetic/repeat) bigots. Plus just how many of those people are genuinely about to "cancel" someone and who are just using it more or less ironically? The left that I follow generally doesn't use "cancelling" as anything but ironic drivel.

If something is called _cancel_ culture, then some kind of cancelling should actually be a part of it. Someone just saying "CANCELLED" doesn't mean anything.

again, you're just focusing too much on what it's called. What it's called is irrelevant, the behaviour exists. The behaviour is what matters and what should be discussed, not the term we use to describe it.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Love Cody's Showdy, make sure I watch it every week. His rants give me LIFE

So happy cracked alum are finding success. Still miss after hours.

His video on ben shapiro is just *chefs kiss* đź‘Ś

Just shits on and totally destroys Ben for like an hour. seared to perfection.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Love Cody's Showdy, make sure I watch it every week. His rants give me LIFE

So happy cracked alum are finding success. Still miss after hours.

His video on ben shapiro is just *chefs kiss* đź‘Ś

Just shits on and totally destroys Ben for like an hour. seared to perfection.

I was watching that after the OP vid and it is very entertaining.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
This post sums up what my opinion of cancel culture is.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
again, you're just focusing too much on what it's called. What it's called is irrelevant, the behaviour exists.
That behaviour is called hyperbolic negativity on the Interwebz (which, again, affects everything on the Internet no matter how good the intentions of the larger movement/ideology) and mass harassment, neither of which have to do with the inherent nature of wanting to hold people accountable and using public visibility as leverage to achieve it.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This post sums up what my opinion of cancel culture is.
You tried to use ResetEra's birth as some kind of example of cancel culture, when it is a model example of good ol' boycotting that has been done for centuries. In case of NeoGAF <-> ResetEra, the owner of NeoGAF did something bad, people didn't care for it and stopped using the product/service assosiated with said person.

Aka: boycotting.

Because Evilore couldn't be made to abandon NeoGAF, some people decided to create their own alternative without him. Hardly some kind of irrational mob justice not based on anything and people just dogpiling on someone for no reason.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That behaviour is called hyperbolic negativity on the Interwebz (which, again, affects everything on the Internet no matter how good the intentions of the larger movement/ideology) and mass harassment, neither of which have to do with the inherent nature of wanting to hold people accountable and using public visibility as leverage to achieve it.

ok, but what's your issue with having a term to describe the specific behaviour I've mentioned? It's not just "hyperbolic negativity", it's people wanting to "cancel" another person without making sure they're justified in doing so. It's a very specific pattern of behaviour.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ya this is what it means to me.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Sexual Harassment Allegations and Inflammatory False Equivalences Over Multiple Posts; Prior Severe Ban for Sexism and Numerous Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
You tried to use ResetEra's birth as some kind of example of cancel culture, when it is a model example of good ol' boycotting that has been done for centuries. In case of NeoGAF <-> ResetEra, the owner of NeoGAF did something bad, people didn't care for it and stopped using the product/service assosiated with said person.

Because Evilore couldn't be made to abandon NeoGAF, some people decided to create their own alternative without him. Hardly some kind of irrational mob justice not based on anything and people just dogpiling on someone for no reason.
People didn't even know if what Evil lore was accused of was true or not.They just started trolling and getting their accounts perma banned.Were you not there?That's exactly what I call the cancel culture.People that want to cancel a person without investigating if that person is actually guilty.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People didn't even know if what Evil lore was accused of was true or not.They just started trolling and getting their accounts perma banned.Were you not there?That's exactly what I call the cancel culture.People that want to cancel a person without investigating if that person is actually guilty.
Go back to neogaf then nobody is holding you hostage here

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect to be seeing a defense of sexual assault and an alt-right forum when I checked this thread.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019

matt_taylor.jpg

Do you remember this guy?The cancel culture also tried to cancel him because of his "sexist" shirt(which was made by his female friend) after he landed a probe landing on a comet.Anyway, I gotta go back to work.Peace.

Deleted member 39450

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
Acting badly? Lol. What do you know of my behaviour?

I don't; my use of "you" means that you seem content with condoning this behavior.

I'll leave you with this because I have work to do:

For me, the Carson King thing is a perfect example of I mean by cancel culture. Here's a guy who's actually trying to be a decent human being - something I think we need more of. The reporter who uncovered his tweets could have said "hey, I'm about to publish this story about you but you might want to delete these old tweets first".

But instead he decided to publicly shame King which to me is a wildly disproportionate response to the situation. So yes, I think the reporter's lack of empathy & judgement makes him an asshole, and I'm not at all displeased with his comeuppance. I don't for one second believe that the reporter genuinely wants to make the world a better place because if he did, he'd have shown some basic empathy and called King out privately.

It's that lack of empathy and initial instinct to publicly shame that is the problem in my book, and it seems to keep happening because we've normalized and condoned this behavior. There are obviously situations where this kind of response is appropriate, but seeing it happen to people that don't deserve it is disturbing. That's just bullying.

So call it whatever you want; callout culture, outrage culture, cancel culture. It's all the same thing. If you want to bury your head in the sand and split hairs over how to define it, or pretend that everyone that this has happened to deserved it because they're a bigot, go right ahead. Just don't complain when the next James Gunn gets fired because this is the culture that you wanted.