• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Justin Trudeau's recently re-elected government has promised to implement a new 10-per-cent tax on luxury cars, boats and personal aircraft over $100,000 — and, naturally, the news has some dealers shaking in their Italian leather boots.

The change will be felt most drastically in the West, where B.C.'s wealthy are already subject to a 15-per-cent provincial sales tax on vehicles in the $125,000 to $149,999 range; and a 20-per-cent tax on those over $150,000. Both of those were increased in 2018 by the provincial NDP government.

The proposed new luxury tax would be on top of those tariffs, meaning for West Coast buyers, a $232,000 Lamborghini Urus would accrue almost $70,000 in taxes.

"In a province where we already have a luxury tax and luxury supertax, up in those high levels, it's very concerning," Blair Qualey, head of the New Car Dealers Association of B.C., told Automotive News Canada. "We're seeing this layering of tax burdens by jurisdictions that don't seem to be talking to one another. The burden is getting pretty difficult."

We're not sure if buyers of these $100,000-plus vehicles expect the average Canadian to feel any pity for the 'pretty difficult burden' they'll bear, but we assume the NDP – which famously proposed a one-per-cent wealth tax on those with assets worth over $20 million – isn't likely to feel too sorry for them.

Nevertheless, for some dealership employees in B.C., the pinch is real, and it stings. According to Automotive News Canada, Ferrari-Maserati of Vancouver saw sales dip to by nearly 20 per cent since the new 2018 taxes were put in place, causing the company to lay off staff.

0 to 70k in additional taxes, new world speed record. lol

But seriously, I was reading another article on this new tax on luxury vehicles, boats and planes, and the Liberals estimate the luxury goods tax will generate roughly $585 million in revenue in the 2020 tax year and as much as $621 million by 2023. And the best thing is, the regular middle class citizen won't lose any sleep over the super rich getting to pay a little more for their toys.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Lol fuck everyone who can afford something like that and has a problem with paying more taxes. Like seriously eat actual shit.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver is a complete anomaly. Our median household income is low yet we have pretty much all the super car dealers here. I remember reading that one of our BMW dealers sold more cars than all of the BMWs in the Greater Toronto Area.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
There should be a luxury tax on any single-item purchase over $100,000 that's not a primary residence.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I like it.
Vancouver is a complete anomaly. Our median household income is low yet we have pretty much all the super car dealers here. I remember reading that one of our BMW dealers sold more cars than all of the BMWs in the Greater Toronto Area.
foreign money especially in areas with high asian population is my guess

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
100,000 dollars cars? That's literally more then 3 times my annual income last year. SMFH, that's obscene

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And here me and my broke ass thought Acura was a luxury brand... 100k lol, I am safe. I love this new minority government, NDP, heck even Bloc will push Trudeau to do mor than just a lip service on social issues (yes yes he has done others but not many of his promises)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a lower income person, I despise regular sales tax (fuck you Brian Mulroney). I can't be mad at luxury taxes, though.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

In the SF area, BMW is also known as "Basic Marin Wheels".

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. You don't need a 100k car. Honestly, doesn't go nearly as far. Should be 75k+

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's kind of useless, they'll just buy other stuff, or get around it. These very specific regulations are always easy to get around of.

May 21, 2018
I was wondering what they meant by luxury cars, since stuff like Lexus or Acura can count as luxury cars, but 100k plus cars? Yeah, tax them. Small increase when talking about cars that have 3,000+ dollar oil changes.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of useless, they'll just buy other stuff, or get around it. These very specific regulations are always easy to get around of.
Unless the dealership fudges numbers and gets paid under the table, then no. You could import or buy elsewhere but you aren't really saving a whole lot.

How do you propose someone get a new luxury vehicle without getting the tax?

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With the USD to Canadian dollar conversion what would the equivalent be for example for a Tesla Model S or BMW 550i in Canada? Or even a Tesla Model 3 Performance? I'd imagine those would be getting close to the 100k amount.

Edit: Just looked it up. A 73k cost in the states Tesla Model S is 109k in Canada so it'd get the luxury tax on it while ironically receiving up to a $8,000 tax credit for being electric lol.

Last edited:

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, slap a luxury tax on 65k vehicles. Then take the auto industry out behind the barn and put a bullet in it's head.
Exactly. I think people have varying degrees of what is considered "luxury" and also aren't accounting for what the Canadian dollar equates to versus the American dollar.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Auto industry will be fine even with a tax on 65k+ cars. In fact, it will incentivize EV more.
Yeah. All those inexpensive EV with the beautiful interiors. Sure.

Meanwhile I don't anticipate, for example, the upcoming electric F150 to be particularly affordable...and it will almost certainly be trimmed similarly to a Lariat. A fat sticker on that will keep people buying ecoboost XLT crew cabs.

Exactly. I think people have varying degrees of what is considered "luxury" and also aren't accounting for what the Canadian dollar equates to versus the American dollar.
Certainly, 100k USD and 100K CAD are two different animals for vehicle pricing.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Liberals and Conservatives are the same!

There should be a foreign buyer tax on housing too, a big one.

Auto industry will be fine even with a tax on 65k+ cars. In fact, it will incentivize EV more.

Doubt it, especially the manufacturers who make most of their money off expensive pickup trucks.

Don't think EVs have as much profit margin yet, especially the for manufacturers who haven't really jumped in and produced them on a large space(so anyone but Tesla and soon VW).

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Doubt it, especially the manufacturers who make most of their money off expensive pickup trucks.

Don't think EVs have as much profit margin yet, especially the for manufacturers who haven't really jumped in and produced them on a large space(so anyone but Tesla and soon VW).

People adapt. If trucks don't become financially appealing that doesn't mean they'll stop buying vehicles. Plus, auto-makers make a lot of money. Having them hardshift to EV isn't exactly a problem.