• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The 3600X is still available at $260, still a pretty good deal.

Not sure if I'm sad that I missed the 3800X or not....still not totally sold on these AMD chips with their weird boost clock behaviour and hunger for really fast RAM. They are clearly lightyears better than what AMD was offering before, but there just seems to be a lot of weirdness around them.

They're really not that RAM hungry anymore though. Get some 3200 CL16 ram and you're golden. It's not worth spending 50% more on RAM for 5% improved performance.

Also, keep in mind that performance only kicks in when you're CPU limited. Ideally, you never, ever want to be CPU limited unless you're a CS player looking for non-vsync 500+fps at 720p. But in that case, you're probably getting a 9900K anyways. Being CPU limited can cause some nasty stutters and low 0.1% frametimes in modern games.

On the off chance that you actually are CPU limited with a Ryzen 3800X (I struggle to see any situation where this will ever be the case for modern games), that extra 5% headroom is not going to make or break you.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
They're really not that RAM hungry anymore though. Get some 3200 CL16 ram and you're golden. It's not worth spending 50% more on RAM for 5% improved performance.

Also, keep in mind that performance only kicks in when you're CPU limited. Ideally, you never, ever want to be CPU limited unless you're a CS player looking for non-vsync 500+fps at 720p. But in that case, you're probably getting a 9900K anyways. Being CPU limited can cause some nasty stutters and low 0.1% frametimes in modern games.

For me it'd be an all purpose machine too - production, Photoshop, Unity (whose compiling is still, sadly, mostly single threaded), as well as gaming.

But i hear you and agree, most games don't really get CPU pinned.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
For me it'd be an all purpose machine too - production, Photoshop, Unity (whose compiling is still, sadly, mostly single threaded), as well as gaming.

But i hear you and agree, most games don't really get CPU pinned.

I mean if that's the case you're likely going with 32GB of RAM and you're looking at a ~$100-200 premium to get 5% better RAM than 3200 CL16. Might as well just get a Ryzen 3900X at that point.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Maybe they ran out? I contacted Amazon CS and they said it was not available in Canada and they suggested I buy from the US. I just closed the chat.

Looks like they took it off now, but it was 100% on the item's page this morning under special offers. I saw it myself. And I saw everyone on Reddit who bought it confirming they got emails.

Bug them again - it was 100% advertised. Get them to credit you the value of the games if they ran out of codes.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I mean if that's the case you're likely going with 32GB of RAM and you're looking at a ~$100-200 premium to get 5% better RAM than 3200 CL16. Might as well just get a Ryzen 3900X at that point.

Yeah, and then I'd be looking at a $700 CPU, which is more than a 9900kf (which has better single threaded performance) sooooo.....it makes it a hard choice.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and then I'd be looking at a $700 CPU, which is more than a 9900kf (which has better single threaded performance) sooooo.....it makes it a hard choice.

So that's what I'm saying. 3200 C16 is the sweet spot and it doesn't make any sense to spend $150 more to get 5% more performance when you can get 50% more performance by spending $300 more. The only time premium RAM would ever matter is if you're chasing the top percentile, which shouldn't apply to 99.9% of the population. This has always been the case.

Only early 1st gen Ryzens were seriously RAM dependent. Ryzen 3rd gen is very much in line with previous generations as long as you're getting 3000MHz+

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Amazon - 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus controllers are on sale for $55.19 tax free.

I really like using it on PC, don't know about the Switch other than hearing it can't turn on the console. I did get an odd technical issue while playing Deus Ex Human Revolution with it spiking frametimes to 30-80ms using bluetooth. Don't know if that was game specific as I didn't notice any serious problems with the (very) few other games I tried.

Dang, sale is over already. I'm getting $68.99.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys know if the 1:1 conversion for gold-> game pass ultimate still work? Can't seem to find a clear answer.

I believe the 1:1 time conversion is over, and that now it's based on the cost ratio between Gold and Game Pass. The Game Pass FAQ bears this out. That said, I don't think the conversion is exactly 1:1, i.e. I think three months of Gold still converts to two months of Game Pass Ultimate despite the actual cost ratio not being quite that good (3:5 instead of 2:3).

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
anyone having issues with EB Games online checkout? I'm trying to buy that 3 month gamepass deal, but on the screen where I input my CC info I can't seem to progress :/

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How long has Costco site been down? Needed to buy something tonight.

On other hand, what would the shipping rate be if my product is 29.99 before tax?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody has a TCL Serie 6 TV and tried the new auto image calibration app they released a few days ago?

On the first night the app would not find my tv ont he network.

Now tonight it'S finding the TV just fine but the Roku Channel that is supposed to install itself automatically on the TV is not showing up and, while I don't know the exact name of the app, I am not finding anything when searching manually the Roku App Store so I'm starting to wonder if it's not an issue with being in Canada?

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they took it off now, but it was 100% on the item's page this morning under special offers. I saw it myself. And I saw everyone on Reddit who bought it confirming they got emails.

Bug them again - it was 100% advertised. Get them to credit you the value of the games if they ran out of codes.

Which forum on reddit? I ordered at like 5am this morning and did see the game promo shown, but did not receive any email about the promo as you mention.

GPink

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody has a TCL Serie 6 TV and tried the new auto image calibration app they released a few days ago?

On the first night the app would not find my tv ont he network.

Now tonight it'S finding the TV just fine but the Roku Channel that is supposed to install itself automatically on the TV is not showing up and, while I don't know the exact name of the app, I am not finding anything when searching manually the Roku App Store so I'm starting to wonder if it's not an issue with being in Canada?
Yep, same thing for me. It's either a crap app, or yeah, issues with region.

Oct 26, 2017
yeah even that seemed a bit expensive. $50ish or less would be ideal.

That will be a bit of a wait. I think the best Nintendo had and it was at E3 this year were 33% discounts on the eShop and DK was $53.59 and if you got it at EB who matched the sale (I think they sell DK digitally), you wouldn't pay tax, AND you'd get the full 400 gold coins ($4.52 including Ontario taxes for me), effectively making it $49.59 before taxes?.

Like that. :P

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
That will be a bit of a wait. I think the best Nintendo had and it was at E3 this year were 33% discounts on the eShop and DK was $53.59 and if you got it at EB who matched the sale (I think they sell DK digitally), you wouldn't pay tax, AND you'd get the full 400 gold coins ($4.52 including Ontario taxes for me), effectively making it $49.59 before taxes?.

Like that. :P

ah yes,good point!

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
New $25 off $75 order code @ Staples Enter 71122 at checkout Applicable to select game related items including: Luigi's Mansion 3 Pokemon Sword/Shield 3 x $25 PSN Codes & more

From GameDealsCanada

Ordered two sets of $75 codes. They do charge tax on them though. Still a good deal.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Is it worth picking up Metro Exodus for PS4 for $20 or should I just wait the 2 months for it to be released on steam ?

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
New $25 off $75 order code @ Staples Enter 71122 at checkout Applicable to select game related items including: Luigi's Mansion 3 Pokemon Sword/Shield 3 x $25 PSN Codes & more

From GameDealsCanada

Ordered two sets of $75 codes. They do charge tax on them though. Still a good deal.
Are they supposed to charge taxes? It doesn't make sense that they do.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

From GameDealsCanada

Thank you, finally got Pokémon after weeks of trying with various codes that didn't work.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone seen a good deal on 256GB mico SD cards? Amazon has one for $40.

These Switch games are just getting bigger and bigger lol

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

From GameDealsCanada

THESE CODES WORK ON DIGITAL NINTENDO SWITCH GAMES.

Just bought a digital code of Pokemon Sword with $25 off.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Let me know if you actually get your code. I bought a Dragon Quest XI code earlier this week with the last code and still haven't gotten it.

(Yes I've checked my spam folder haha)
Interesting.

As for codes. I used three different emails for orders. I will see how it goes.

My first email already received three PSN codes.
My second email is still waiting for three more PSN codes.
My third email is still waiting for Pokemon Sword code.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me know if you actually get your code. I bought a Dragon Quest XI code earlier this week with the last code and still haven't gotten it.

(Yes I've checked my spam folder haha)
You should contact staples because the notes say an electronic code will be emailed to you by Codes 2 GO Inc., normally within 24 hours after completing your purchase

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone has been inside Best Buy or Walmart, was there stock of the $250 PS4?

I'm hoping to go out and get one during my lunch break

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
You should contact staples because the notes say an electronic code will be emailed to you by Codes 2 GO Inc., normally within 24 hours after completing your purchase
I'm gonna give it another day or so. If I don't get it by the end of this weekend, I'll send an email Monday morning.

UPDATE: I remembered they had a live-chat feature (godsend for people who hate phone calls like myself) and chatted with a CSR. They told me that the coupons aren't supposed to apply to software, but to give it until end of day today. If I don't have it by then, they'll manually re-send it.

Folks, if you're going to use 71122, use it ASAP!

Last edited:

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
got 2060 RTX for $360 from canada computers, not bad. I think it is a decent deal for a small build I'm doing :)

got no money anymore, not f5ing anymore. please no better deal. thanks!

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada

From GameDealsCanada

Code is dead as of 11AM EST
Was able to grab TMS#FE earlier in the morning though because of you, thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, not sure what to do. I ordered a ps plus code from best buy on Monday. I got the order "shipped" email on Tuesday. As of today, I've still not received my code.

I tried calling them, and the wait time is 2 hours!! I can't wait 2 hours on the phone.......

I sent them an email yesterday, but still nothing. Should it really be 72 hours to send a code?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience with Fido as a cellphone carrier? I'm taking advantage of their 4GB data + unlimited canada wide calling plan for black friday, turns out I can get that plan for $60, get a Galaxy S10 for 120, and get a $200 bill credit? It just seems like an insanely better deal than what I get with Videotron at the moment.

Also looking for opinions on Fizz internet if anybody's got any...

Status
Not open for further replies.