• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah guys, is anyone else's anxiety shooting through the roof right now?
I've decided that I'm probably not going to be watching the results live because of it. I don't even know if I should stick around in this thread. It's just, like so much is at stake, I'm not even voting for the party that I want to vote for, vote-splitting is a thing...

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. And they're pro-Trump because Trump is anti-CCP. ANYTHING that disadvantages the Chinese government is considered the greatest thing ever to them, with no consideration for the harm it does elsewhere.

The one thing that is incredibly frustrating when I try to engage the wider Chinese community is that there's no room for nuance when it comes to political discourse.

It also doesn't help that there's a pervasive chauvinistic/exceptional attitude, such that they will vote in anti-immigration policies despite being immigrants themselves.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So if the Liberals get ~160

And the Bloc and NDP each get ~25

What realistically happens next?
Coalition of chaos!

By which I mean it's pretty obvious the LPC goes for the NDP's support over the sovereignists. If it's not a direct coalition then at least they'll try to work out support on a bill-to-bill basis.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
At what point do we just look at all these polls as bullshit "will they / won't they"?

The polls have literally been 'on the fence' for the last two months or more, with random days with LPC in lead, then oh no look its flipped, CPC in the lead, and then hey look we're back at even! too close to call!

All these outlets can manufacture a dead heat to play into whatever narratives they want, but at the end of the day, they all end up 50/50 or close to that with a slight lean toward their publication's political ideology.

Just quoting this again for posterity.. lol @ a literal tie ~4hrs before election day.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Seeing some Conservative attacs ads against the Bloc tonight on french tv, had a big Bloc = PQ on the tv at one point.

Don't recall seeing these before today

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Everybody with election anxiety should go watch The Beaverton Mocks the Vote special. I just watched it, and it made me laugh out loud so many times! It was so great!

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
i am not seeing this swell of conservative support that the media keeps pushing down our throats. no way this election is as close as they are making it out to be.
Libs will lose some seats for sure but unless the greens are doing some voodoo and the NDP are rigging ballots, i still see liberal majority. conservative gains in places that already vote conservative wont be that helpful to them.

Not by such a wide margin as before but still majority.

Oct 27, 2017
i am not seeing this swell of conservative support that the media keeps pushing down our throats. no way this election is as close as they are making it out to be.
Libs will lose some seats for sure but unless the greens are doing some voodoo and the NDP are rigging ballots, i still see liberal majority. conservative gains in places that already vote conservative wont be that helpful to them.

Not by such a wide margin as before but still majority.
It would be a majority if not for the zombie BQ, but as it stands I'm guessing strong minority unless something funky happens in close ridings.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
The Liberals either try to form a minority government and only need either the NDP or Bloc to vote yes, or they form a formal coalition with the NDP.
The Liberals are still the government. They enter into a formal coalition with the NDP, or more likely just carry on with their agenda because they know the NDP and BQ will support it.
they try to make a deal with either the bloc or NDP

probably the NDP

but they can run as a minority and just live and die in the confidence of the other parties

and it bothers me that it's no longer Mike_Works
Coalition of chaos!

By which I mean it's pretty obvious the LPC goes for the NDP's support over the sovereignists. If it's not a direct coalition then at least they'll try to work out support on a bill-to-bill basis.
Thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering if there was any semi-realistic chance that they might form a coalition with the Bloc, and what that might mean (since separation obviously wouldn't be on the table).

Any guesses as to whether a minority Liberal government is more or less realistic than a coalition with the NDP?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
The final take from Research Co.

Grits and Tories Are in Statistical Tie Ahead of Canadian Election
The NDP's Jagmeet Singh closes the campaign with the highest approval rating and momentum score of all federal leaders.

Vancouver, BC [October 20, 2019] – A jump in voter support for the New Democratic Party (NDP) and the Bloc Québécois has affected the fortunes of Canada's two major political parties on the eve of the country's federal election, a new Research Co. poll has found.

In the online survey of a representative national sample, 32% of decided voters (-4 since a Research Co. survey conducted in late September) would cast a ballot for the Liberal Party's contender in their constituency.

The Conservative Party remains a close second with 31% (-2), followed by the NDP with 19% (+4), the Green Party with 8% (-1), the Bloc with 7% (+2) and the People's Party with 2% (=).

"In September, the Liberals enjoyed a six-point lead among female decided voters," says Mario Canseco, President of Research Co. "Now, partly due to a surge in support for the New Democrats, the governing party is practically tied with the Conservatives."

On a regional basis, the Conservative Party continues to dominate in Alberta (61%) and Manitoba and Saskatchewan (51%). In both Ontario and Atlantic Canada, the Liberal Party is in first place (39% and 34% respectively).

An extremely close race developed in British Columbia, with each of the three major parties garnering the support of more than a quarter of decided voters, with the Greens at 14%.

In Quebec, where the Liberals had a 14-point advantage over the Bloc in September, the election has also tightened considerably. The Liberals now stand at 34% (-3), while the Bloc has jumped to 32% (+9)

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh heads to tomorrow's election with the highest approval rating of all leaders at 57% (up 15 points since late September).

The numbers held steady for Official Opposition and Conservative Party leader Andrew Scheer (38%, unchanged) and Green Party leader Elizabeth May (44%, also unchanged).

The approval rating for incumbent Prime Minister and Liberal Party leader Justin Trudeau improved by three points to 44%, while his disapproval numbers dropped by the same margin to 51%.

The lowest ranked leader is once again Maxime Bernier of the People's Party (18%, +1).

Singh is the only party leader to post a positive momentum score (+20), with almost two-in-five Canadians (38%) saying their opinion of the NDP leader has improved since the start of the campaign.

Bernier has the lowest momentum score (-25), with Trudeau at -24, Scheer at -21 and May at -5.

When asked which one of the main party leaders would make the "Best Prime Minister", Trudeau remains in first place with 30% (-3), followed by Scheer with 23% (-1) and Singh with 21% (+8). The other contenders are in single digits.

Trudeau holds a nine-point edge over Scheer on the "Best Prime Minister" question among men (33% to 24%) and a six-point lead among women (28% to 22%).

Singh gets his best numbers on this question with women (26%, just two points behind Trudeau) and Canadians aged 18-to-34 (32%, eight points ahead of Trudeau).

About one-in-four Canadians (24%, +3) think the economy and jobs is the top issue facing Canada, followed by the environment (20%, -2), health care (also 20%, +2) and housing, homelessness and poverty (16%, -1).

The way Canada's regions feel about issues did not go through any radical shifts since late September. Housing, homelessness and poverty is still most pressing concern for British Columbians (28%), while the environment is especially important for Quebecers (31%).

As was the case last month, health care is the top issue in Atlantic Canada (36%) and Manitoba and Saskatchewan (22%), while the economy and jobs takes precedence in Alberta (37%) and Ontario (27%).

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering if there was any semi-realistic chance that they might form a coalition with the Bloc, and what that might mean (since separation obviously wouldn't be on the table).

Any guesses as to whether a minority Liberal government is more or less realistic than a coalition with the NDP?

I'd say it depends on how strong the minority is. If they're a few seats off of majority, they'd probably just roll with it. A weak minority they would likely seek coalition.

Bloc has a lot of asks and I'm not sure what they could push through. They want provincial free trade, which trudeau is for anyways. They want to control their immigration which is a complicated thing and something I highly doubt the liberals would allow. They don't want pipelines and don't want their carbon tax touched... which I don't think is a big issue lol

With the Bloc you're never truly sure what they'll want until you ask. It's a provincial centric party so there's always the risk of them holding you hostage as they don't care about the national side. Trudeau in power is beneficial to Quebec anyways so they'd be risking their future governing power by crossing him.

This is why NDP is the more logical choice for a coalition, though the issue there is their terms (like no TMX pipeline) are too steep, especially if the rumor that TMX was a partial poison pill with Harper agreement with China is true. they'll probably just risk running as a minority but that sucks because I really really really want the next election to take place after the next electoral redistricting, not before.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Bloc can't form a collation with the Liberals because the Liberals want to protect Revenue Canada jobs in Quebec that the Bloc and CPC are threatening with the reparation of Revenue Canada to Revenue Quebec. That is a big irreconcilable for the Liberals.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Bloc can't form a collation with the Liberals because the Liberals want to protect Revenue Canada jobs in Quebec that the Bloc and CPC are threatening with the reparation of Revenue Canada to Revenue Quebec. That is a big irreconcilable for the Liberals.

Oh yeah, forgot that they wanted to collect federal income taxes themselves under the guise of "simpler returns"

That's a red flag for anyone lol

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it depends on how strong the minority is. If they're a few seats off of majority, they'd probably just roll with it. A weak minority they would likely seek coalition.

Bloc has a lot of asks and I'm not sure what they could push through. They want provincial free trade, which trudeau is for anyways. They want to control their immigration which is a complicated thing and something I highly doubt the liberals would allow. They don't want pipelines and don't want their carbon tax touched... which I don't think is a big issue lol

With the Bloc you're never truly sure what they'll want until you ask. It's a provincial centric party so there's always the risk of them holding you hostage as they don't care about the national side. Trudeau in power is beneficial to Quebec anyways so they'd be risking their future governing power by crossing him.

This is why NDP is the more logical choice for a coalition, though the issue there is their terms (like no TMX pipeline) are too steep, especially if the rumor that TMX was a partial poison pill with Harper agreement with China is true. they'll probably just risk running as a minority but that sucks because I really really really want the next election to take place after the next electoral redistricting, not before.

FIPA is the real reason why they're signing off on all these projects in BC. If it wasn't and they just wanted more pipelines, then the Libs would've pushed for Keystone XL(was 100% possible during Trump's first two years in office) and sure why not, Energy East in Quebec, because Justin just loves pipelines.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this one of the guys saying Lib majority?

Panic!

I think he's a few seats shy of 1997. Still, if his numbers hold it's impressive considering SNC/Blackface. I posted the seat projection earlier.

EKOS was hinting towards a majority. I wish they'd soften their words, as it's not as easy with the Bloc surge. Also, tossups rule the country. A single shift the wrong way and the Libs could easily lose 20 seats.

Expect a minorty result tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.