• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Thanks to the climate protests tomorrow in Montreal my company has told us all we can work from home if we want. Hope the climate protests go well, I'm excited to not get trapped in the gridlock it'll cause tomorrow

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
that's all part of the plan,
ruin the education system, fill the land with "poorly educated", pump the info on Facebook , deny science, promiss a 0.01% tax cut for peanuts,

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
All they care is that they got the idea out there before having to pull it, because no one remembers the retractions. And seemingly no one is willing to punish!

i do think the liberals failed miserably in the messaging of the carbon tax. Like, people would be fucking thrilled to know they got more money back on their tax returns than they're spending...but no one seems to know they were connected.

In BC when the carbon tax was first implemented, there was of course a huge backlash because it was a tax. The government kept saying it was revenue neutral and people started getting cheques in the mail so the outrage died off eventually.

The federal tax being implemented in an election year is not helping, but it needed to be done.

May 30, 2018
Can you list the ways that the Liberals are trying to help people in AB/SK compared to the CPC, in respect to protecting jobs that would be lost by moving away from oil and natural gas? Because that's the issue. And yes, people are selfish for voting for their jobs/families over the population 30-100 years from now. But they can't be blamed for that. People in Toronto would vote against climate plans too if it meant elimination of say, the financial industry and retail jobs.

Also that's a good sample size for a regional poll. It's actually not even bad for a national poll. That's what margins of error are for, and indicate.

LPC bought the pipeline, and promised to put the profits towards green energy. So clearly they aren't trying to shut down the industry, at least not at the moment, so I wouldn't even give keeping jobs (in the short term) as a point to the CPC

I'm not even environmentally conscious, but I recognize there's a push by the RoC to get off oil and go green, and at least the Liberal plan might be helping them to transition for that future. The CPC policy of oil forever isn't gonna prepare them for that future.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Rachel Notley did everything in her power to help this stupid province, and they turned around and voted for the party who wrecked everything in the first place. Federal left and centre left parties need to ignore us, and drag AB and SASK kicking and screaming. There's no other way. Appealing to them is a lost cause, and you only piss off everyone else by doing so.
The ABNDP was never expected to win the 2019 provincial election in the first place. Also, the fact they did not get wiped off the map makes it more likely that Albertans will vote for the ABNDP post-Notley.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the NDP only ever had a chance because the right was totally split. It's the same reason why the CPC can win in Canada: The left if split. If the LPC and NDP were a single party, they would dominate. Well, only for a while because the CPC would shift left to take some of the moderate votes, which would still be a good thing!

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the NDP only ever had a chance because the right was totally split. It's the same reason why the CPC can win in Canada: The left if split. If the LPC and NDP were a single party, they would dominate. Well, only for a while because the CPC would shift left to take some of the moderate votes, which would still be a good thing!
Hopefully we can elect someone to help fix our electoral system so that issues like split votes among the left are a thing of the past. I hate that I'm going to have to vote Liberal when my heart's with NDP right now.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The ABNDP was never expected to win the 2019 provincial election in the first place. Also, the fact they did not get wiped off the map makes it more likely that Albertans will vote for the ABNDP post-Notley.

Unless UPC splits, I think pigs will fly before the NDP ever wins again.

Alberta had what 30 years of conservative rule, and 30 years of the social credit party?

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Saw Jean Chretien today at a Liberal event. Dude is still smooth af.

Saucepan Man

Oct 27, 2017
It is more arguable a rightward turn for a combined "left" party would happen rather than a leftward turn for combined right parties. See down south, formation of new labour in the UK, and etc. Even the leftward turn of combined left wing parties in the Anglo sphere seem more like returns to old left values.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Unless UPC splits, I think pigs will fly before the NDP ever wins again.

Alberta had what 30 years of conservative rule, and 30 years of the social credit party?

I think the UCP gets at least two terms in government. It's going to be way harder for them to stay in power for decades compared to the PC's and SC's because alberta is currently urbanizing rapidly which will favour more city concentrated parties like the ABNDP(who is quite moderate) and alberta will also be more prone to throwing out the bums more often.. Also the ABNDP was never expected to win in 2015 and notley was always planning to win in 2019. I think the ABNDP stay around the 20-35 seat range while out of government but eventually form government again in about a decade

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

I know they were never expected to win. But watching a bunch of people vote UCP claiming they'd bring jobs, who then act surprised when he cuts jobs he promised he would cut, is perplexing to me. Like what the hell did they think he was going to do? Everything they were complaining about happened because of the previous government (prior to Notley). How do you deal with people who refuse to live in reality?

Federal non-CPC parties should nod at AB and Co, and continue to let them scream and yell. They want to be fucked over here because it's not really about the economy but their love for people they hate being screwed over. I don't believe the argument that the voters here are too dumb and keep voting against their own self interest by ignorance. No they're just spiteful shits.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm not the only one feeling that the Liberal pitch so far is a bit uhh less bold than last time.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Fair Vote took that electoral reform lie personally. They're out explicitly campaigning in Vancouver-Granville against the Liberals.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'll cool it. :) It's very exciting.

The wait for Alberta and Sask voters put 2 and 2 together about out why the Greens are becoming so popular in Quebec with Bloc voters is excruciating.
AB and SK voters don't care about Quebec voters and what they like. They see a party that wants to bankrupt their economies.

I mean, the Green Party would effectively kill the economies of those two provinces...I think it's pretty easy to see why voters would not be behind them. It would be like if a party wanted to do some good things but said to Quebec "but you need to stop speaking French and assimilate."
Basically this.

Not so sure that is the case. I mean the pipeline isn't build and while things are a bit rough that is where they're at and it's still not too bad. Why not start winding things down now and redirect investment and energy sector?
"Not too bad". You're from BC, aren't you? What do you know about how bad things maybe are or aren't in SK and AB?

It's not being invested elsewhere because there is still money to be made faster than green infrastructure.

Nope, I can't accept that argument. Trudeau spent a lot of political capital buying the TMX pipeline for Alberta, he lost some support to the Greens/NDP and damaged his environmental credibility, and for that he was rewarded with 7% support in the Prairies

Those people don't want to be helped
He's spent the political capital. Work hasn't ramped up on that line yet. Believe it or not Liberals got votes from pipeliners last time around, obviously not as many as CPC did, but pipeliners work transient jobs and come from plenty of provinces. I see plates from almost every province in the yard everyday.

It's not that people "don't want to be helped", it's that suggestions for "retraining" for a "normal job" when out here you're working 40 regular, 35-50 OT paid weekly and get paid LOA or a camp bonus, some 40 hour a week job sounds a lot like "fuck you" to most people out here.

Why should any future LPC government help them, when it burns political capital & they still won't vote for you.

Rachel Notley went against her BC and Federal NDP allies for AB, and was rewarded with a UCP majority that will undo her work.

West is a lost cause in my eyes.
Because LPC is a business oriented party that wants money and a big tent. Notley got fucked by a united right, same way the SK NDP did.

And how do you ask a 50-something person to retrain into a completely different field?

There are a lot of social and human factors in play here...
I don't know much about the rig work side of O&G but pipeline work for guys in the field is either heavy equipment operating, or labouring. Nobody cares about what they're labouring on for a job, or what industry they're operating equipment in; they care that they have a weekly income of $2700-4400. "Retrain" them in another industry where they'll clear 5 figures a month and faces won't be so long.

so outside of Vancouver, BC could turn hard blue
It's a lot like Alberta where I am in BC; resource jobs faltering, "economic anxiety", and a heaping helping of anti-immigrant rhetoric.

That, and just fuck everyone in the west who want progressive policies I guess.
Yeah, fuck those people. Acknowledging them gets in the way of painting with broad strokes.

Kenney's education plan will follow fordnation. Everybody knows.
Absolutely, a good friend of mine is married to a teacher and they are nervous as hell. Not to mention his policy of paying out banked OT as regular time among myriad other shit policies. At least that asshole already has an RCMP investigation into his antics.

Hopefully we can elect someone to help fix our electoral system so that issues like split votes among the left are a thing of the past. I hate that I'm going to have to vote Liberal when my heart's with NDP right now.
Considering only Tories and Grits have ever been in power...I doubt it. Electoral reform condemn the CPC to minority status forever, which means they won't make the change, while LPC is happy being Canada's "natural governing party". Party over country every time, as evidenced by what I consider the worst broken promise of Trudeau's mandate.

Electoral Reform is not part of the 2019 campaign, get over it
Why would it be? It was part of the 2015 one, which means it's already been taken care of, right?

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
AB and SK voters don't care about Quebec voters and what they like. They see a party that wants to bankrupt their economies.
That's where they have to take a breath and see that bankrupting their economies isn't the plan. lol

"Not too bad". You're from BC, aren't you? What do you know about how bad things maybe are or aren't in SK and AB?
I live in BC although I have worked in AB in O&G, lived in Calgary during the heady years between 88-92, and transitioned on my own to other work on my own in my mid twenties.
There were crumbling old towns then just like there are crumbling old towns now.
O&G passes through and throws a few bucks their way as they tear things up in town.
Nothing has really gotten better when O&G is let to run amok. Money is just pissed away on extravagance.
Those thick wages might stick around awhile and might transition very well across sectors. It's AB and Canada. Really. First world nation. Super super super rich. Good trade negotiations. Still will have some level of extravagance compared to every else pretty much.

Check out the video here and tell me if any of this makes sense to you in regards to AB concerns.
A live Q&A talking climate change with Andrew Leach and EcoFiscal guy.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that people "don't want to be helped", it's that suggestions for "retraining" for a "normal job" when out here you're working 40 regular, 35-50 OT paid weekly and get paid LOA or a camp bonus, some 40 hour a week job sounds a lot like "fuck you" to most people out here.

I don't know much about the rig work side of O&G but pipeline work for guys in the field is either heavy equipment operating, or labouring. Nobody cares about what they're labouring on for a job, or what industry they're operating equipment in; they care that they have a weekly income of $2700-4400. "Retrain" them in another industry where they'll clear 5 figures a month and faces won't be so long.

Yeah absolutely. I mean there's heaps of work for trades in Vancouver, (in the near term we need to build two new Fraser river crossings, a subway to UBC and probably a new gondola too, and on top of all that there's a housing shortage so tons of need for new housing), BUT working in Metro Vancouver with the extra expenses that go hand in hand with that results in 'merely' having an upper middle class lifestyle. You don't get the two car garage with the big truck, and the boat, and the atvs etc.

Let's be honest nothing is gonna replace the gravy train that is oil sands development.

It's a lot like Alberta where I am in BC; resource jobs faltering, "economic anxiety", and a heaping helping of anti-immigrant rhetoric.

Pretty much. The rural economy took a dump in the 90s with the structural collapse of the pulp and paper industry (when's the last time you used a phone book?) and has never really recovered. Neither BC Liberal nor BC NDP government has figured out how to really fix this core systemic problem.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
That's hyperbolic. The NWC can only be used for certain sections of the charter, and none affecting basic human rights.
I remember looking into it and it seems to be able to be used on the actual important parts (sections 7 to 15) that have been used for social rights like marriage equality, which is pretty big.

It looks like Alberta tried to use it for marriage equality actually, except marriage is federally defined so they couldn't do it.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks mo60 for getting the thread back on topic 😊
Yes, the gutter version of on topic; "Natural Governing Party" chanted ad nauseum when the day's polling numbers are looking up for the good guys.

That's where they have to take a breath and see that bankrupting their economies isn't the plan. lol

I live in BC although I have worked in AB in O&G, lived in Calgary during the heady years between 88-92, and transitioned on my own to other work on my own in my mid twenties.
There were crumbling old towns then just like there are crumbling old towns now.
O&G passes through and throws a few bucks their way as they tear things up in town.
Nothing has really gotten better when O&G is let to run amok. Money is just pissed away on extravagance.
Those thick wages might stick around awhile and might transition very well across sectors. It's AB and Canada. Really. First world nation. Super super super rich. Good trade negotiations. Still will have some level of extravagance compared to every else pretty much.

Check out the video here and tell me if any of this makes sense to you in regards to AB concerns.
If you think May's "carbon neutral" plan doesn't come at the expense of a lot of prairie people's livelihoods I don't know what to tell you.

What sectors pay that much overtime and live out? Live out is the main gravy train. I don't intend to stay in O&G longterm, there are significant amounts of people like me who are in it for a few years to get a significant amount of money saved and invested. There are savers out here, not just spenders who are addicted to toys. Like I said in my previous post, if the wages stay similar the workers will transition to basically anything. Equipment operators can't transition to forestry currently, and wages for development of cities and highways doesn't involve more overtime hours than regular hours, and being home with your family comes at the expense of your live out. For 15k a month I'll install wind turbines or solar panels or whatever floats your boat, but for all I care I'll hop on TMX for a couple years when it goes.

I like to think I'm left leaning enough to spend time in these threads, and I'm probably the most left leaning pipeliner if anyone I've worked with. I live a minimalistic lifestyle, save and invest money, and see the writing on the wall for these jobs but I also don't expect the guys who spend money like it's going out of style on diesel trucks, fifth wheels, toy haulers, sleds, quads, boats (and far worse things) to wave goodbye to that money instead of go down with the ship kicking and screaming. Coming to terms with the fact that certain lifestyles aren't sustainable is hard for some people to accept.

Thanks for the link to the video, I'll try to watch it when I have better service. Currently I have to wave my phone around a fairly significant amount just to keep up with this thread lol.

Yeah absolutely. I mean there's heaps of work for trades in Vancouver, (in the near term we need to build two new Fraser river crossings, a subway to UBC and probably a new gondola too, and on top of all that there's a housing shortage so tons of need for new housing), BUT working in Metro Vancouver with the extra expenses that go hand in hand with that results in 'merely' having an upper middle class lifestyle. You don't get the two car garage with the big truck, and the boat, and the atvs etc.

Let's be honest nothing is gonna replace the gravy train that is oil sands development.

Pretty much. The rural economy took a dump in the 90s with the structural collapse of the pulp and paper industry (when's the last time you used a phone book?) and has never really recovered. Neither BC Liberal nor BC NDP government has figured out how to really fix this core systemic problem.
Exactly. I worked a decade in Edmonton in commercial and residential construction. It's a livable wage and it's above the average Canadian income. I was able to put a down payment down and build a house, which is increasingly difficult these days. O&G is just ridiculous money comparatively though.

No one on any gravy train likes it coming to an end. All I hear most days on CBC out here is about mill closures and how the BC NDP need to help these small communities that rely on forestry. Hell, didn't a convoy of truckers drive to Vancouver or something yesterday? People are up in arms that the forestry bailout money is coming from the rural development stipend because its rural people getting money they were alrewy getting with a new name. I don't hear anyone working for UAW excited that they are losing high paid union assembly jobs. I didn't hear about any steelworkers excited about the tariffs. Just lots of calls for government assistance. Saving when times are good rather than spending foolishly seemingly isn't something most people bother to get around to, regardless of industry, and telling people to get used to their new reality doesn't get them to vote left, it just pisses them off.

LOL Peter MacKay talking on CTV trying to spin the polls (because they're not going the way Peter wants them to be)
That guy is such a scumbag.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
He's responsible for the PC capitulation to let the Reform-Alliance eat it up to form the CPC

Joe Clark will never forget nor forgive Peter
There are probably a few blue Liberals thanks to that douchebag but at this point I'd guess they only serve to try to anchor the party to centre rather than get truly progressive.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
There are probably a few blue Liberals thanks to that douchebag but at this point I'd guess they only serve to try to anchor the party to centre rather than get truly progressive.
When both parties cater to corporations, it really doesn't matter who you vote for at that point if you're a "Blue Liberal" or a "Red Tory". It just changes the name you write on the donation checque.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the CPC is so lame they're fighting with Ed The Sock now.

So then Post Millenial wrote some shit piece and he's been fighting with the author since.

They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
If you think May's "carbon neutral" plan doesn't come at the expense of a lot of prairie people's livelihoods I don't know what to tell you.

What sectors pay that much overtime and live out? Live out is the main gravy train. I don't intend to stay in O&G longterm, there are significant amounts of people like me who are in it for a few years to get a significant amount of money saved and invested. There are savers out here, not just spenders who are addicted to toys. Like I said in my previous post, if the wages stay similar the workers will transition to basically anything. Equipment operators can't transition to forestry currently, and wages for development of cities and highways doesn't involve more overtime hours than regular hours, and being home with your family comes at the expense of your live out. For 15k a month I'll install wind turbines or solar panels or whatever floats your boat, but for all I care I'll hop on TMX for a couple years when it goes.

I like to think I'm left leaning enough to spend time in these threads, and I'm probably the most left leaning pipeliner if anyone I've worked with. I live a minimalistic lifestyle, save and invest money, and see the writing on the wall for these jobs but I also don't expect the guys who spend money like it's going out of style on diesel trucks, fifth wheels, toy haulers, sleds, quads, boats (and far worse things) to wave goodbye to that money instead of go down with the ship kicking and screaming. Coming to terms with the fact that certain lifestyles aren't sustainable is hard for some people to accept.

Thanks for the link to the video, I'll try to watch it when I have better service. Currently I have to wave my phone around a fairly significant amount just to keep up with this thread lol.

Exactly. I worked a decade in Edmonton in commercial and residential construction. It's a livable wage and it's above the average Canadian income. I was able to put a down payment down and build a house, which is increasingly difficult these days. O&G is just ridiculous money comparatively though.

That's a lot better than
That's progress. :p

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Dave Rubin is going on Tucker Carlson to promote a fundraiser for Mad Max.

That seems slightly less than legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.