• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
FPTP somehow keeping evil back. lol
Maybe NOW everyone, including the cons, will want PR?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
FPTP somehow keeping evil back. lol
Maybe NOW everyone, including the cons, will want PR?

PR was their idea to begin with. Greens and NDP ran with it.

I often wonder whether MMPR would help or hurt.

The Cons have a dependable 35%ish voting bloc that will pick them every time.

The remaining 65% would be split among LPC, GPC, NDP and PPC. Would any of these beat that 35% and form government?

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Liberal antisemite quit 2 weeks ago

NDP wife beater quit yesterday

Green islamaphobe quits today

we are just missing the Conservatie pee in a cup candidate to quit

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

wow lol a national housing speculation tax at.... 1% lolol. 1 > 0 tho right guys so they're doing something!!?

This is basically the definition of doing something for appearances. I could list off half a dozen more impactful things that could be done to dissuade housing speculation but that would actually involve doing something and upsetting people so obviously off the table.

Any national housing strategy that doesn't include at minimum a couple billion in construction costs to build new supply is fundamentally useless. The reason costs are high is because there is no supply. That's the truth, and refusal to acknowledge that is the problem and why things are as bad as they are.

With how bad things are, it'll take 5-10 years for it to even begin to make a difference. And every year they delay is another year that gets added to how long to fix this fucked up situation.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Any national housing strategy that doesn't include at minimum a couple billion in construction costs to build new supply is fundamentally useless.

The reason costs are high is because there is no supply. That's the truth, and refusal to acknowledge that is the problem and why things are as bad as they are.

With how bad things are, it'll take 5-10 years for it to even begin to make a difference. And every year they delay is another year that gets added to how long to fix this fucked up situation.

The Liberal housing program that starts in 2020 commits 40 billion dollars over 10 years to build new inventory and refurbish old stock that was previously vacant due to neglect. THere's already money committed to build new stock.

The ambitious plan promises to tackle everything from homelessness, the shortage of new housing units and repairs to existing units over the next decade, including:

• Building 100,000 new affordable housing units.
  • Repairing 300,000 affordable housing units.
  • Cutting chronic homelessness by 50 per cent.
  • Protecting 385,000 households from losing an affordable home.
  • Providing 300,000 households with financial assistance through the Canada Housing Benefit.
  • Removing 530,000 households from housing need.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife ordered a GREEN PARTY front lawn sign. It's going to be fun because we live rural and I remember the whole area littered with PC PARTY signs before
we moved here.
She does not even follow politics (and I'm not even allowed to vote). It's a total "WE ARE NOT LIKE YOU!" move from my 40 year old toddler wife.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I've barely seen any signs around my neighbourhood. Two liberal and one conservative sign on private lots. The main roads normally would be littered with this stuff by now.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Given that I'm a Vancouverite and all Vancouverites are obsessed with housing, I could definitely do an effort post about how the Liberal housing platform is totally inadequate but I'm at work right now so, for now I'll just drop this image that I think gives some perspective about what the Liberals have promised in comparison to the historical status quo. Maybe later this evening I can follow this up with some more articles from the front lines of the problem in Vancouver.

zFYXAKE.jpg

It is really good that the Liberals are getting back into housing, but once again they're simply improving on the low bar of previous administrations and not really tackling the issue with the gusto required to solve our systemic problems in a timely way.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
trump hate trudeau ergo his cult also hate trudeau

I thought they would like Trudeau, since he's clearly more Alpha/Chad with the Staceys than the President, who is clearly a cuck in comparison. If it's all about Respecting The Power Of Chad With Women, why don't they like Trudeau more? Where's the ideological consistency in this?

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time really following twitter during an election. The amount of far right shit heads scare me. How are there red "Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again" hats already?

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I thought they would like Trudeau, since he's clearly more Alpha/Chad with the Staceys than the President, who is clearly a cuck in comparison. If it's all about Respecting The Power Of Chad With Women, why don't they like Trudeau more? Where's the ideological consistency in this?

He marches in gay pride parades.
This is my first time really following twitter during an election. The amount of far right shit heads scare me. How are there red "Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again" hats already?

The brigading is strong on all sides. Twitter is not a good barometer of national sentiment. I wouldn't be surprised if there are bot amplifications going on with the allegations levelled at UCP. I wouldn't bother with twitter's political side.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Ideological consistency and the right wing is like oil and water.

They like Trump because he's a dumbass like they are who fell upwards. Trudeau represents everything they don't have and they hate it.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
It's harder in that there is simply more to look through now and back in the day the average dipshit couldn't post the bile online where it would stay forever.

Yah parties now have to go through their social media accounts all the way back since forever and make sure they didn't say anything objectionable.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

<<Le Parti vert accueille à bras ouverts les nationalistes, les souverainistes, les gens de toutes les couleurs, parce que nous, on croit que la prochaine élection fédérale, c'est un peu comme un référendum sur le climat. On veut des gens de toutes allégeances fixes pour une allégeance temporaire au Parti vert.

Pierre Nantel, candidat du Parti vert >>

ENGLISH translation translated by me

""The Green Party opens its arms to nationalistes, sovereignists, people of all colours, because we believe that the next Federal Election is like a Referendum on climate. We want people of all allegiances fixated on a TEMPORARY ALLEGIANCE to the Green Party."

Pierre Nantel, candidate for the Green Party (notice that he omits the word CANADA)

LOL, so his statement clearly contradicts May's words from yesterday.

*Oh, some of you guys still owe me an apology

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Liberal housing program that starts in 2020 commits 40 billion dollars over 10 years to build new inventory and refurbish old stock that was previously vacant due to neglect. THere's already money committed to build new stock.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/housing-national-benefit-1.4413615
Okay, thats good to see. Because its really what makes or breaks a national housing strategy. Just doing subsidies, tax credits and free money for homebuyers would have worked, somewhat, a decade ago. But with how far we've tossed the can down the road, it alone is no longer a valid option to really tackle this problem.

Oct 27, 2017
You posted a news update about the very subject that I talked about 3 days earlier that Back in The Future confirms what I was saying that you got mad at me for calling out Mulcair's choices of candidates when he was in charge of recruiting candidates.

This, bruh is all on Mulcair and his selection process of candidates during 2011 and 2015 and guys like Nantel are after taste from that

Not a surprise that you still don't understand my criticism of you.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Not a surprise that you still don't understand my criticism of you.
I think it's fair game to make fun of party leaders and former party leaders.
------------
Conservative candidate steps down after 'discriminatory' social media posts found

Conservatives are joining the candidate resignation party.
No peeing in cups yet

So far, all parties have lost at least one candidate , including the Bloc and the PPC

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Being a teacher is a hell of a job, and an important one. Dealing with all the spoiled kids and their spoiled parents... They deserve much respect.
"Why they make so much money when they get the entire summer off?"
Except parents are already pissed off at what Ford did to the school boards and cuts.

Few will blame this on the teachers.
And yet these parents, who grew up under Harris, voted for Ford so... shrug emoji.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
And yet these parents, who grew up under Harris, voted for Ford so... shrug emoji

People didn't think Ford would do this and ignored all warnings.

Remember how in 2014 the Tim Hudak said they'd cut 500,000 public jobs through attrition? They lost out against Wynne.

Ford didn't say anything and people bought the "my folks, my friends" crap.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, thats good to see. Because its really what makes or breaks a national housing strategy. Just doing subsidies, tax credits and free money for homebuyers would have worked, somewhat, a decade ago. But with how far we've tossed the can down the road, it alone is no longer a valid option to really tackle this problem.

Yah. I think it's meant to complement the program. Obviously it's no magic bullet but there is some movement in that direction.

Anyone watching the debate? I don't have cable.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
This is peak NDP. Even the photo of Singh in the thumbnail...

Maybe he meant a military hospital? Do we even have those. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.