• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
so you want the only leader with foreign affairs experience to stay out of the foreign affairs debate? LOL
People know where Trudeau stands and the direction of government. It might be good to hear these three platforms away where they can't finger point or blame with sitting gov and distract. Take questions(hopefully not loaded) of a particular foreign issue and they can respond with their plans of where they think their gov should take it. Give the Greens and NDP a chance to show a real foreign affairs platform for scrutiny.
This could be followed up at the official debates after some strong press.
Gives Trudeau time to craft careful foreign policy responses.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
After thinking about it....
it could work but that result is only speculation and there is only two debates. Besides the three other parties are going to be hammering on things like that at that opportunity. Rather they get the exposure and time.
They've earned it.

edit:
The schedule is looking pretty tight too and looks well set already.
Progressive parties hammering Conservatives leads to insularity and resolve to vote for Tories. Another conservative questioning the Tories' bonafides has a LOT more value when it comes to making them bleed their base, something none of the others can do.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Don't know if anyone else has brought it up but Trudeau was on the latest episode of Patriot Act (US Political comedy show on Netflix) and I actually liked his responses to some things, even if the episode does highlight that Canada, while progressive, does have some issues we need to hammer out:

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
was up in North Van yesterday going for a hike and saw a few PPC banners hanging and a PPC booth being manned by people in Bernier tshirts. First bit of in-person election paraphernalia I've seen

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Both are racist xénophobes, yeah but atleast Montreal and its suburbs has ZERO elected CPC MPs while lol Calgary (a city) racitstily elects 100% CPC MPs

What kind of metropolis elects Conservative representatives? Lol
The kind that undergoes a really harsh economic downturn. The vote was a protest vote. An ant could have ran against the NDP and won. I voted NDP but I'm not going to proclaim some sort of moral superiority. I voted NDP because my wife works for the government and I don't have any ties to oil and gas so it was self serving. I can promise you that social issues like racism weren't even in the thought process for most people voting conservative. In fact, the northeast of Calgary is largely East Indian/middle eastern origin and they voted conservative too. Your views are simplified to the point of caricature. But hey, we are all a bunch of hillbillies and Hicks here in Calgary. Enjoy feeling superior.

PS: Kenney is an asshole, and his work in San Francisco during the aids epidemic is unbelievably disgusting.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Progressive parties hammering Conservatives leads to insularity and resolve to vote for Tories. Another conservative questioning the Tories' bonafides has a LOT more value when it comes to making them bleed their base, something none of the others can do.
That's a really good point.
If it does end up only being the scheduled four, the progressives should keep most of the conversation about them and stick to their own party policy and how it pertains regionally and to commitments of past governments and hard fought legislation(especially to Liberals as sitting gov and all the projects going on, like electrifying BC O&G sector) make the conversation about them and the good stuff. Let the conversation show how Conservatives want to take all the good stuff away. Let analysts and the public have fun.

As recent polls indicate Canadian seem to be locking in their opinions about controversies pretty quick and won't change much. Hammering constantly makes it all about that too, becomes the memorable and informs noone. Some good quick burns for soundbites sprinkled in would be great.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
That's how I see it, as it's unlikely Bernier is going to pass on attacking Scheer's wishy-washy stances/the CPC in general and hammer Trudeau/May/Singh exclusively. I don't see how the two right wing parties going at each other doesn't help everyone else.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the latest Patriot Act. Hassan highlighted some important things but I don't agree with many of his characterizations.

SNC was way over generalized, Wilson-Raybould deserved to be booted, and he just glossed over the fact that pipelines will save transportation emissions. Not to mention that Saudi-Canada relations are at an all time low because of Canada sticking up for human rights there and that LAV deal was signed under the previous government.

Trudeau should have just said that where do you want China buying their oil from? Canada or Saudi Arabia? Society can't just turn off the oil taps right away like how some people want. It's a massive technical challenge that must and hopefully will be overcome within the next 20 years, but unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
itd be great if the liberals win a minority and then the ndp and conservatives team up to introduce rep by pop

itd be great if the liberals win a minority and then the ndp and conservatives team up to introduce rep by pop
The Conservatives don't want proportional representation. It kills any chance they have of enacting a meaningful conservative agenda -- I won't say it would stop them from ever having power, because parties will shift to meet the changes in the electoral system and a probable result of enacting PR would be more parties, period, but you would never be able to cobble together a 50%+1 coalition in Canada for the sort of doctrinaire Albertan conservatism that has defined the party since the 2000s.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Conservatives don't want proportional representation. It kills any chance they have of enacting a meaningful conservative agenda -- I won't say it would stop them from ever having power, because parties will shift to meet the changes in the electoral system and a probable result of enacting PR would be more parties, period, but you would never be able to cobble together a 50%+1 coalition in Canada for the sort of doctrinaire Albertan conservatism that has defined the party since the 2000s.

This. PR Absolutely does not help the Conservatives beause as they have a maximum vote threshold of 40% they would never be able to get a workable coalition together. Remember, Stephen Harper was he biggest pusher of Electoral Reform and Proportional Representation before he got elected. Then he got elected.

If a Conservative party ever promises Electoral Reform, be extremely warry. Because under their tones, they are really talking about Gerrymandering, more ridings in rural areas, less ridings in urban areas, and Voter ID requirements that disenfranchise the poor, young and non-white.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I would normally think this too, but if conservatives win the popular vote but still lose the election?
I don't know
we know they are reactionary so I could see them playing themselves in that way

May 30, 2018

source.gif

Man can't be serious. He's floundering out here. Story was refuted back in June and they're trying to get it going again.

He must be cheesed at what the Liberals dug up on him if he's already resorting to fake news Trump style

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Of course Ezra Levant boosted the dailymail story by just asking questions, "Can this be true?" Of course he did.

Whenever right wing idiots loudly and unsolicitedly signal to everyone their faux concern about child abuse, it's either fucked up projection or weaponizing it "for the lulz" against people they don't like (because child abuse is totally something to joke about or trivialize). And the latter works because the right wing base is dumb as shit. Current immigration laws make the story a non-issue, but Scheer and dudes like him will lean into it and loudly vow they'll prevent a thing that was never going to happen from happening. What a fucking hero! But when it comes to creating new legislation that deals with child abuse, conservatives prefer regression like no other.

How many pedo redpillers / MRAs / incels follow Levant and support Scheer? These are the same dudes who will shit on the #metoo movement, hem and haw about preventing child brides in conservative religious communities, lament the "high" age of consent, protest criminalizing sex tourism involving minors, creep on teenagers, cry about their loli games being banned, etc.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I can promise you that social issues like racism weren't even in the thought process for most people voting conservative. In fact, the northeast of Calgary is largely East Indian/middle eastern origin and they voted conservative too. Your views are simplified to the point of caricature. But hey, we are all a bunch of hillbillies and hicks here in Calgary. Enjoy feeling superior.
Welcome to Era, where eastern Canada regularly shits on Alberta despite having no idea what is going on in the province.

Yes there are conservatives, but there are thousands of Albertans that are extremely frustrated with politics. We went with an NDP provincial government that didn't work out, so it's back to conservative nonsense. Now federally the NDP is a mess so that just adds to the frustration and thousands of Albertans feeling there is no party that fairly represents them.

You need to understand that the Liberals are not an option. They don't give a shit about western Canada. Never have, never will. So it's not that Alberta is full of conservatives nutters, it's because they win out because there is poor left leaning options in Alberta. We were hoping that the NDP would catch on more in the east, but that didn't happen. So it's back to feeling that there is nobody to represent us. It's super frustrating.

A lot of Albertans will vote NDP again in hopes to beat Conservatives because there is zero chance for Liberal seats. Zero chance. It feels so futile because it's going to end up with a Conservative sweep. It's extremely frustrating that there is no party that left leaning and moderate Albertans can count on, so the conservative douchebags win again.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
hey fellow Canadians, seems our British cousins are screweing the pooch and ready to drop the rit, writ (however you spell that).

IMO, I believe that the UK being so FUCKED UP!!!!!!!!!!! could have a sobering effect on Canadians wanting a calm, steady and strong normal Government

plus, you have Stephen Harper attached to Brexit fuckery now in the UK. This shit could be a poison pill for our CPC.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Era, where eastern Canada regularly shits on Alberta despite having no idea what is going on in the province.

Yes there are conservatives, but there are thousands of Albertans that are extremely frustrated with politics. We went with an NDP provincial government that didn't work out, so it's back to conservative nonsense. Now federally the NDP is a mess so that just adds to the frustration and thousands of Albertans feeling there is no party that fairly represents them.

You need to understand that the Liberals are not an option. They don't give a shit about western Canada. Never have, never will. So it's not that Alberta is full of conservatives nutters, it's because they win out because there is poor left leaning options in Alberta. We were hoping that the NDP would catch on more in the east, but that didn't happen. So it's back to feeling that there is nobody to represent us. It's super frustrating.

A lot of Albertans will vote NDP again in hopes to beat Conservatives because there is zero chance for Liberal seats. Zero chance. It feels so futile because it's going to end up with a Conservative sweep. It's extremely frustrating that there is no party that left leaning and moderate Albertans can count on, so the conservative douchebags win again.
This is so true it hurts. Our company brings in a lot of PHDs from Quebec and to a man they are surprised at how progressive we are here, and at how wrong their preconceived notions of Alberta were. Alberta is a province of migrants, both international and interprovincial; we are all here to work and improve the position of our families. The attitude here is largely live and let live in my experience.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
LOL. you're 60%+ Blue

The Government bought you a pipeline, you still 60% Blue.

There's no pleasing you haha

Yeah he's right there, JT and the LPC put their environmental credibility on the line in addition to the strength in BC to pander to Alberta. And all it did was just get more whining from Kenny and the dinosaurs from PET's era on how no one cares about Alberta.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder how Ivison feels about being the evidence exonerating the truth and Trudeau all in one go round.
I feel like this is the Cons Greatest Hits but with Andrew Scheers oversized head and fake 'human' smile scotch taped over Harper on the front cover

Would the Liberals have had a shot, post-pipeline purchase if their leader's last name wasn't 'Trudeau'? If it had been Goodale or Freeland or whomever but not Justin 'Son of National Energy Program', would it have changed things?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
It's funny but I think a lot of what good people in Alberta enjoy about Alberta is based around Liberal federal gov policy.
There are a lot of factors in making political choices and awareness affects weight at the time and changes in future decisions as options and values change. Day to day, regionally, culturally, national, etc.. And as a voter shopping around being made aware of and noticing the antisocial, antienvironment racist hate groups having influence in the shared tent of a party you're once involved in for your own interests will accelerate that process. No doubt the incoming Conservative defeat is helping that too because AB and the priairies do need more representation in the government. AB/SK/MN definitely need to elect more Liberals if they want to be heard and their concerns addressed. That's the long and short of it.
On the rural side. A lot of people just want clean land and water and good hunting. Good crops. Enviro stuff too.

The Green Party is at a place where there could be a lot of policy and power motion after this election. With a possible leadership challenge and policy caucus after the election there's an exciting opportunity with the Greens in the 2020s going on. AB/SK could be a major influence and benefactor if they can get elected as Greens and guide policy and investment through the green transition.
The Cons aren't going to help the green transition and that's obvious to everyone now.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
The greatest counter to conservative personalities are other conservatives. As their positions are so weak they get shot down at all angles.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously believe that the fuckery happening in the UK will hurt the CPC in Canada

With Scheer so staunchly for BREXIT it's just too easy to label him as a quack. He's such a terrible politician. It hurts.

==================

Also, Alberta is not exactly convincing with these beauties from UCP.

"people of destiny..."

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The Green Party is at a place where there could be a lot of policy and power motion after this election. With a possible leadership challenge and policy caucus after the election there's an exciting opportunity with the Greens in the 2020s going on. AB/SK could be a major influence and benefactor if they can get elected as Greens and guide policy and investment through the green transition.
The Cons aren't going to help the green transition and that's obvious to everyone now.
I agree. It will be interesting to see how the Green Party does this election. Especially in western Canada.
There needs to be a change in left leaning politics in Canada. The NDP gave it a shot and now are just shooting themselves in the foot, and I think the Liberals are not the best long term future for Canada. A 2 party system sucks when both parties suck.

I fully expect this election to result in a Liberal minority or majority and a Con minority a distant third. Liberals back in charge is best for the short term, but I would definitely like to see some political shift to more representation away from the big 2. Settling for dumb or dumber is getting us nowhere.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously believe that the fuckery happening in the UK will hurt the CPC in Canada

I seriously hope so.

Canadians had to Google "Prorogation of Parliament" not too long ago.

They seem to be desperate now with retweeting garbage from the Daily Mail seemingly the next step in the Hamish Marshall master plan.

agree. It will be interesting to see how the Green Party does this election. Especially in western Canada.

Greens are center right, still believe the "free market" will save us and they want to build a coast to coast pipeline just like Andy Pod.

I would normally think this too, but if conservatives win the popular vote but still lose the election?
I don't know
we know they are reactionary so I could see them playing themselves in that way
If they lost the election despite getting the popular vote plurality, there'd absolutely be wailing and gnashing of teeth, but the Tories are still more or less run by the Mitch McConnells, not the Donald Trumps. The leadership understands that PR is bad for them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If they lost the election despite getting the popular vote plurality, there'd absolutely be wailing and gnashing of teeth, but the Tories are still more or less run by the Mitch McConnells, not the Donald Trumps. The leadership understands that PR is bad for them.

I'm guessing their US advisors have told them that gerrymandering and voter suppression is the way to go.

We already had robocalls.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
on a scale, which would you consider more Right between the two?
Probably Liberals, if only because the Greens are dominated by the environmentalist issue.

But as mentioned earlier, both believe in technocratic free market solutions and if the way we are going to save the planet is to pray that tax breaks will get billionaires to invent some kind of Star Trek technology to control Earth's climate within the next 100 years, then... well, as I said in the other thread, I'm glad I don't have my own kids to inherit this mess.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I know some Canadians might pay attentions to International politics, but would that number be big enough to actually influence the federal election?
Andrew Scheer is in the record saying he Pro-Brexit. Harper is officially on the Brexit negotiations team.

Foreign Affairs issue pops up at the debates while UK heads to the polls 16 days before our election

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Wow.....

And this guy wants to be Prime Minister...

I wonder what would be his position about Brexit in 2019. Did anybody ever asked him recently?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.