• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
there is still the unnecessary risk of athletes and any other essential personnel who has to travel catching it. Remember the plan for the NBA, global soccer, etc...was to proceed without crowds until athletes started testing positive, then it was game over. The minute one athlete tests positive they'd have to call the whole thing off anyway.
Thats true. Yeah I don't know how to run sports with this virus.

And someone would really get screwed of their chance to go to the olympics if they were unlucky to test positive right before the Olympics.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017
To the people who are saying the games should go on... How do you propose these world class athletes train in their typical way with social distancing? Nutritionists, Athletic Therapists, Trainers, Working out with other athletes, Doctors, etc.

This pandemic has a HUGE implication on training and athlete readiness.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Care to explain the reasons?

Aside from all the health reasons the biggest one is probably money.

It costs billions to host these events, making stadiums, event locations and accommodations, so on and so forth. Not to mention all the sponsor deals that are worked out. Then there are the broadcasting deals. The coordination and plans to host what when and so forth is setup in the years leading to the event with other events around the world moving their dates for the Olympics. Its both impressive and stupid how much goes into this event for a bunch of sports people only remember exist ever 4 years.

It's why we are seeing a year or two postponement vs. a few months and why Japan is being so coy about the spread of the virus in their country. Which I can tell you, literally no one is staying home currently. Went to the park up the street and saw dozens of families, and then to Nagoya castle park Saturday which had thousands of people there to enjoy the "first day of spring"

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from all the health reasons the biggest one is probably money.

It costs billions to host these events, making stadiums, event locations and accommodations, so on and so forth. Not to mention all the sponsor deals that are worked out. Then there are the broadcasting deals. The coordination and plans to host what when and so forth is setup in the years leading to the event with other events around the world moving their dates for the Olympics. Its both impressive and stupid how much goes into this event for a bunch of sports people only remember exist ever 4 years.

It's why we are seeing a year or two postponement vs. a few months and why Japan is being so coy about the spread of the virus in their country. Which I can tell you, literally no one is staying home currently. Went to the park up the street and saw dozens of families, and then to Nagoya castle park Saturday which had thousands of people there to enjoy the "first day of spring"

I live in Osaka. I know of what it's like in Japan right now. I'm still going to work. lol

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
Japan is going to be the only one there. Gonna win all the medals.

Opening ceremony won't be 8 hours long either, so it won't be all bad.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow... I can't believe people are actually posting against this decision.

So what you would have us do is let the athletes go to the event, possibly become asymptomatic with the virus, come back to Canada and infect everyone they come into contact with, just so that you can watch the Olympics?

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
The athletes' health and safety should be held in the highest regard.
That being said though, if the games are postponed, how significant would the financial impact to Tokyo be? I seem to recall the host country's investment in building the infrastructure to host the games being significant, no?

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Wow... I can't believe people are actually posting against this decision.

So what you would have us do is let the athletes go to the event, possibly become asymptomatic with the virus, come back to Canada and infect everyone they come into contact with, just so that you can watch the Olympics?
Why is a two-week isolation period for any returning athlete and their team that far-fetched to you?

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is that really my decision to make?
Somehow athletes can also decide if they are allowed to contract the virus or not, just because they are going to the Olympics! They get special treatment somehow. Even though I wouldn't consider Olympic competing essential!

The truth is, the decision isn't. Not yours, or the athletes. It's not essential in a time of crisis and they need to follow protocol, just like every other citizen out there.

Deleted member 23075

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the right and sensible decision to make. I'm proud our country stepped up.

It's only a matter of time til other countries do the same.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Good decision from Canada and hopefully more countries follow suit. Have it next year or something, this bullshit isn't worth the potential risk.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Postponing a year seems like the no-brainer decision.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan is going to be the only one there. Gonna win all the medals.
One of my all time fave simpsons episodes
bCPT8tx.jpg

EmbellishedWhichHypacrosaurus-small.gif

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): hostility, modwhining
Why the hell was i given a warning when there is a poster here advocating for the lax of restrictions for athletes to participate in the Olympics when there is a god damn pandemic going around? Wtf kind of bullshit is this?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
when usa pulls out they will postpone

damn you corona, completely fucked up the akira prophecy

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
They need to be postponed. No way should that many people be gathered together right now, and flying all over the world on top of it? Screw that noise.

Don't see how that is viable for Japan. Obscenely expensive and they take out the major benefit to the event with the tourism influx.

Postponed not downright canceled. At least til after summer to try and kill this virus.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every major country is gonna drop out outside of a handful of smaller ones that arent hit hard by the virus

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
I was just a matter of time until IOC pulling the trigger. Japan could not say from them as long as IOC chairman was (officially) against the postponement.
As soon as he mentioned the "possibility" of postponement, everyone else in Japan followed, and in reality many people who are doing actual work is preparing for postponing from quite some time ago.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada once again making the right call. Wins the gold medal for logic and fastest reaction time.

Hope other countries follow. Health and safety is the number one priority.

Last edited:

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
postpone it or go ahead with it and have one athlete test positive and deal with that shit show fallout.

Because we know someone will test positive

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this gets the ball rolling for other countries to follow suit. Canada's doing the right thing here, glad Australia joined in to.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't a lot of athletes wanting to postpone because they are having a hard time dealing with the logistics of training to compete at that level due to the pandemic?

This thing needs to be postponed already.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sean McColl issues a statement in support of Canada's decision. McColl was one of Climbing's biggest lobbyists for the first-time inclusion of the sport at these games, and at 32 years of age, he's one of the oldest in the field. This is certainly his only shot not just at a medal, but at representing his country. I'm bummed at seeing one climbing's best ambassadors to the sport having to step back from competition, but proud he's stepped up in promoting safety.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Is that really my decision to make?

Usually people can make decisions regarding their own health yes.

Unfortunately, with COVID-19, a person can spread it to others silently without any detection. It's not only about the health of the athlete, but the health of everyone he or she comes in touch with. Or even shares the space with. Olympics are especially great place for spreading COVID-19, with all the sweat, using shared equipment etc.

This is no longer a situation where an individual can take the decision by themselves (about COVID-19 risk), as the individual has no way of getting the relevant information to do that decision. Because of asymptomatic cases and spreading it while not showing any visible signs yet. You can't make a decision based on information you can't get, and COVID-19 pandemic is one such case.

If this was a random athlete having a sprained ankle and they decided to still participate in olympic running events, that's his or hers decision. A sprained ankle does not spread. COVID-19 does, and unknowingly spreading it can get people killed.

If there was a 5-second COVID-19 test everyone could take whenever they want, it'd be a whole different story. Then olympics would probably be a go even for Canadian teams.