• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how they think Covid-19 is overblown when you see pretty much every businesses are closing because of it. That will give you an idea on how serious this thing is. People are just damn idiot.

The Liberals think it's serious so they automatically do the opposite.

Just like climate change.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't know how they think Covid-19 is overblown when you see pretty much every businesses are closing because of it. That will give you an idea on how serious this thing is. People are just damn idiot.
Well, look at that.

BYIw7h8.png

Absolutely everything is a partisan issue for conservatives these days.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Here is a chart showing that while we think we are doing well, in reality Canada is not flattening anything:

EUOv9yhU8AEaV0L

We simply started late, so our lower numbers seem okay.

You have to look at it province by province. The challenge right now is Quebec but BC is making progress towards flattening the curve as they were one of the first to start reacting.

Mar 3, 2018
Doug Ford is like " the weekend all the streets wee packed...please stay home"

Just do it, people aren't gonna listen. Enact the serious drastic measures you keep talking about.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding of the whole testing situation in Ontario is that it's helpful information to have more tests but is it really critical in terms of stopping the spread? All the lockdown, physical distancing, etc. is in effect no matter what the testing situation is. No matter who has been tested or not, everyone should be acting the same. Only go outside for essential activities, don't visit friends, and so on.

If everyone does their part, widespread testing is not a necessity, it's simply super beneficial to track outbreak locations.

Yes but you can't see if any of that is working without data. Therefore. Test test test

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
General concensus I am finding online is that because Japanese Society is well versed in wearing masks, they are less at risk. Though my argument to that is that even if they are wearing masks, they still need to be wearing them properly to have a meaningful effect that doesn't put you at risk.

They're better than nothing and definately a bonus multiplier, but its not a magical "cure-all". If they aren't using them properly, if they aren't throwing them away after each use or after touching/adjusting them... or if they are taking them off to eat and and putting them back on, it's not going to help much, and in fact would put you more in danger since you are touching your face more often.

It sounds like things could be getting worse for Japan

www.vox.com

"This may be the tip of the iceberg": Why Japan’s coronavirus crisis may be just beginning

Japan seemed to have escaped a massive coronavirus outbreak. Now cases are rising.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising really. The default conservative mindset is not to give a shit about something unless it directly impacts on them. If they, or their family, aren't sick then it must be overblown

On the other hand they seem preoccupied by how much public teachers earn or how many people are on welfare and why aren't they working.

Mar 3, 2018
Weird how he still wont say anything about schools. Theres only a few days left and parents and teachers are just sitting there waiting for an announcement. Need time to plan.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It sounds like things could be getting worse for Japan

www.vox.com

"This may be the tip of the iceberg": Why Japan’s coronavirus crisis may be just beginning

Japan seemed to have escaped a massive coronavirus outbreak. Now cases are rising.

That image in the header of the article!

GettyImages_1208303878.0.jpg

Thats exactly the argument I make. In that image there are three people wearing their masks wrong. Doing stuff like that puts you more at risk than not wearing them at all.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
In the Japan thread, the locals also mentioned that this is partly due to people following a questionably risky "honor system" and carrying on, rather than calling in sick and getting tested properly.

I believe the consensus is that even Japan doesn't really know, as there is nothing from a governmental level to openly discuss their measures or even tell their people to follow mandatory guidance.
Yeah, I wonder if this will change Japan's work culture, but I guess it also has to be "bad enough" like it is here for people to actually take it seriously.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
When I was at Superstore yesterday evening, there were a *surprising* amount of people that did not take it seriously. So many people strode up and down the aisles without practicing any social distancing.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Well, look at that.

BYIw7h8.png

Not surprising, in alberta we have yet to get an amber alert for covid19. We get alerts to when theres a chance of a tiny ass tornado forming in the middle of no where. But so far nothing for social distancing. If it wasnt for the internet I would think it was overblown too.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
When I was at Superstore yesterday evening, there were a *surprising* amount of people that did not take it seriously. So many people strode up and down the aisles without practicing any social distancing.

It's happening everywhere unfortunately. My partner and I go out for a walk around the neighbourhood each evening (badly needed fresh air) and a lot of people will just plow on down the middle of the sidewalk forcing you onto the grass or road to keep distance.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Not surprising, in alberta we have yet to get an amber alert for covid19. We get alerts to when theres a chance of tiny ass tornado forming in the middle of no where. But so far nothing for social distancing. If it wasnt for the internet I would think it was overblown too.
Where I am in Alberta, everyone thankfully seems to be taking it pretty damn seriously. The streets are a ghost town and when you see neighbors talking one is standing in a doorway and the other is yelling from the sidewalk.

I wouldn't put it past Kenney to actively dismantle efforts but I'd say many have gotten the message loud and clear. Even Nenshi is shutting down streets to enable more walking space to help with distancing.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry to disappoint you. Our peak is still 2 weeks away, get use to it.

We have nothing to apologize for.

There hasn't been any actual blaming/shaming of particular people in particular provinces on this forum. There are lots of ways lots of numbers can be explained and analyzed. Comparing each other at this point is simply disingenuous, and it's going to only be possible to do down the road. When we have accurate numbers and an overall view of the situation. Our realities are not the same, so numbers won't be the same everywhere.

Quebec government keeps telling us that the growth we are seeing right now is under their projections. Healthcare system still has lots of place in it, from what I understand there were some cases that were put in ICU that wouldn't have been otherwise (if the system was more strained) and we are testing more and more people who show really mild symptoms. Tests are ramping up, more people will test positive. This means more people are in forced isolation (can't get out for essential things, have to be delivered) so this means more transmission chains breaking. And guess what, we have to test even more, so we will test more. It's not because we detect more case that our healthcare system will suddenly become overloaded.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
We have nothing to apologize for.

There hasn't been any actual blaming/shaming of particular people in particular provinces on this forum. There are lots of ways lots of numbers can be explained and analyzed. Comparing each other at this point is simply disingenuous, and it's going to only be possible to do down the road. When we have accurate numbers and an overall view of the situation. Our realities are not the same, so numbers won't be the same everywhere.

Quebec government keeps telling us that the growth we are seeing right now is under their projections. Healthcare system still has lots of place in it, from what I understand there were some cases that were put in ICU that wouldn't have been otherwise (if the system was more strained) and we are testing more and more people who show really mild symptoms. Tests are ramping up, more people will test positive. This means more people are in forced isolation (can't get out for essential things, have to be delivered) so this means more transmission chains breaking. And guess what, we have to test even more, so we will test more. It's not because we detect more case that our healthcare system will suddenly become overloaded.

No, you guys don't. I'm just sad. I'm going to be sad the whole time lol.

I think all the provinces are doing well, and I'm proud of us in general, but still scared and sad. And frustrated with individual people who just won't do what they need to do (and this is every province).

I'm always sad to see the numbers go up more than I'd hoped (because I hope it will take longer to see these numbers haha).

It's how it goes though... and we'll get through this together.

Arthois It's okay. I know everyone is running the gamut of emotions. I know I am. We'll get through it. :) Despite the up and down of sadness/frustration, etc.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I had to go out for some groceries yesterday, but was surprised to see that that the streets were mostly dead. Store I went to had a policy of only four customers in at any one time, for five minutes only, asked to observe social distancing, and the cashier wore a mask, and had a plastic barrier protecting him at the counter.

I did see a few people here and there in pairs, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming spouses/partners/family, rather than just friends hanging out. Pretty impressive considering this was downtown in a Golden Horseshoe city on a nice sunny day.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
So, despite Canada hitting over 1000/day today (and BC and AB haven't even reported yet, it's going to be more like 1200), I want to look at a positive!

Ontario reported 423 recoveries today! That's awesome :D

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I had to go out for some groceries yesterday, but was surprised to see that that the streets were mostly dead. Store I went to had a policy of only four customers in at any one time, for five minutes only, asked to observe social distancing, and the cashier wore a mask, and had a plastic barrier protecting him at the counter.

I did see a few people here and there in pairs, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming spouses/partners/family, rather than just friends hanging out. Pretty impressive considering this was downtown in a Golden Horseshoe city on a nice sunny day.

Apropos of nothing, but this reminds of an old game show called Supermarket Sweeps where you had like a minute to fill your cart with as much stuff as possible. lol

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
filccgzs3up41.png

I'm shocked there is such a disparity in testing right now. Obviously Ontario has a pretty large population but that is a significant divide with BC and Alberta both having a similar testing total with a fraction of the population.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
filccgzs3up41.png

I'm shocked there is such a disparity in testing right now. Obviously Ontario has a pretty large population but that is a significant divide with BC and Alberta both having a similar testing total with a fraction of the population.

Ford probably cut some of the resources needed for rapid testing through his cuts of amalgamation of the LHINs.

Everything he touches turns to shit.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I'll put this in a new post since the other was about ON recoveries.

BC numbers:
+86 (16 Sunday, 70 Monday)
+2 deaths (one called "first community death")
-48% of our cases are fully recovered - 469 people (including 70+ who were in hospital or ICU)
-106 currently hospitalized

Dr. Henry says next two weeks are critical to see which way things will go (BRING ON THE RAIN).

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Most student loans have a grace period when you graduate of around 6 months.

Sure, but what about things like…well, rent? A bunch of students work during the summer non-stop in order to be able to afford housing for the rest of the year. And since they didn't start working those jobs since this whole thing happened right before then, those people are…in a really, really shitty situation. And I doubt that anything is going to be done about that. I've had some friends in isolation with me(like they are living with me now) because we figured that they wouldn't be able to afford rent anywhere while this thing was happening and I didn't want them to be homeless.

I am happy that the government is doing a lot to help, but students are in a very shitty position right now.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but what about things like…well, rent? A bunch of students work during the summer non-stop in order to be able to afford housing for the rest of the year. And since they didn't start working those jobs since this whole thing happened right before then, those people are…in a really, really shitty situation. And I doubt that anything is going to be done about that. I've had some friends in isolation with me(like they are living with me now) because we figured that they wouldn't be able to afford rent anywhere while this thing was happening and I didn't want them to be homeless.

I am happy that the government is doing a lot to help, but students are in a very shitty position right now.
...can't they go back and live with their parents?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's they're a good site with a provincial breakdown?

I'm trying to figure out why it seems Quebec has more than 3x the case than BC but the number of patients in ICU seems almost the same.

Think I'm misreading stats somewhere

Last edited:

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We only have 1371 confirmed cases on March 22 and it ballooned to 6258 cases in just 1 week (March 29). It's gonna turn ugly in the next two weeks. Hopefully our government officials who kept saying "please" will finally have some kind of an effect.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So, despite Canada hitting over 1000/day today (and BC and AB haven't even reported yet, it's going to be more like 1200), I want to look at a positive!

Ontario reported 423 recoveries today! That's awesome :D
That's a huge increase from the 8 before, they hadn't updated it for a while

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
We only have 1371 confirmed cases on March 22 and it ballooned to 6258 cases in just 1 week (March 29). It's gonna turn ugly in the next two weeks. Hopefully our government officials who kept saying "please" will finally have some kind of an effect.

We'll be at 10k in 3 days :(

I do hope, but I think we really need to enforce a lock down—people can't be trusted.

Still...Trying to be positive! Our push didn't start until mid-last week, so we've got a least one more ugly week before hopefully seeing some progress.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's they're a good site with a provincial breakdown?

I'm trying to figure out why it seems Quebec has more than 3x the case than BC but the number of patients in ICU seems almost the same.

Think I'm misreading stats somewhere
IIRC, it was said that a big chunk of the BC cases were the result of the virus getting into senior's care homes, and then employees transferring from one care home to another (like, for example, janitors with a contract to work the whole system) pretty much spread the virus across BC's entire network of care homes.

Since the virus hit this specific group of elderly people in BC unusually hard, that naturally boosted the number of cases requiring hospitalization, and will likely increase the number of deaths in BC. But it also means that we know where more of the cases are, so the virus is a bit more contained in BC.

The early indications of a curve-flattening in BC might not be the result of any good behavior that British Columbians can brag about, it might be due to the general population not being hit as hard as the (care home inclusive) numbers might suggest.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, it was said that a big chunk of the BC cases were the result of the virus getting into senior's care homes, and then employees transferring from one care home to another (like, for example, janitors with a contract to work the whole system) pretty much spread the virus across BC's entire network of care homes.

Since the virus hit this specific group of elderly people in BC unusually hard, that naturally boosted the number of cases requiring hospitalization, and will likely increase the number of deaths in BC. But it also means that we know where more of the cases are, so the virus is a bit more contained in BC.

The early indications of a curve-flattening in BC might not be the result of any good behavior that British Columbians can brag about, it might be due to the general population not being hit as hard as the (care home inclusive) numbers might suggest.
Good point, thanks

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been planning for them to be closed till May or the end of the current school year. It's unfortunate that we are all still waiting to hear what the plan is...
My bet is that this school year is done. I just don't see them opening until the fall.
Kids would be the easiest way to get this thing to spread. Just earlier today, while on a walk, my toddler started drinking from a random puddle. They are savages!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
My bet is that this school year is done. I just don't see them opening until the fall.
Kids would be the easiest way to get this thing to spread. Just earlier today, while on a walk, my toddler started drinking from a random puddle. They are savages!
One of the CMOs said that parents should stop their kids from licking grocery carts and I couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Kids constantly touch things, jam their hands in their mouths, want to grab everything on the shelf etc. My younger sister used to eat soil straight out of potted plants.

It's safest to just keep kids in the home environment if the option is there, but for single parent families, I'm not sure how that grocery task would get handled without bringing them along. Maybe they need to wear masks or a power ranger helmet? haha

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017

It certainly is a rough situation but If they worked at all and made at least $5000 over the last year students qualify for CERB. If not there are other government programs they can look into.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Weird how he still wont say anything about schools. Theres only a few days left and parents and teachers are just sitting there waiting for an announcement. Need time to plan.
I am guessing that public schools will not be back for this year, and will simply move everyone to the next grade to begin in September.

Private schools may be able to return to campus before the end of the school year, but only because they have the means to follow an e-learning system in the interim.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well, look at that.

BYIw7h8.png

Ya know, I feel like saying something that'll surely earn me a ban. Ergo,I'm going to let you imagine how I'd ideally to deal with cons- the got mine fuck you, self righteous, apathetic, do as I say, not as I do hypocritical, anti-science, anti-intellectual, conspiracy peddling and often bigoted filth during a crisis like this that puts all Canadians at peril.

Edit: just so I don't eat a ban, I'd like to clarify that I'm not advocating for straight up murdering anyone. Also, these pieces of degenerate filth can bitch, moan & whine about the implication of proliferation of Covid19 so long as they follow the current isolation guidelines. The more civilized part of brain wishes that deliberate violations of the current guidelines were labelled as criminal offence with jail time & fines.

Last edited: