• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
lol Canada
6cp36kerfgp41.jpg

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ So Canadian. I told my dad and he was like "ah, finally explained to me in terms I can understand".

We're still just about in the period where cases from before social distancing was introduced are being found. The next two weeks we'll hopefully see more flattening.

I couldn't be happier with having Bonnie Henry in charge of this. It's not an exaggeration to say she's qualified to be running the WHO, let alone be employed as BC's chief medical officer. She's incredible

True, true. I really hope so. :( Canada's numbers today were kind of discouraging too, 900. :( I was really hoping Canada would keep it around 700-800 for a bit longer...

But yes, I am truly grateful for Dr. Henry, I think she's amazing. It's no wonder she has her own fan club on Twitter now lol. When we get through this, simply thanking her won't be even a tiny bit of how much she deserves.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I got an email saying that I won't have to pay for my student loan from March 30th to September 30th. No interest. Too bad. I was hoping they will forgive it :p

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ I know some people (myself included) have been wondering how she has been, so yay.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Come in Ontario. For fucks sakes!

It's it only raining today but i'm suffering from some serious case of gout this weekend so staying in has never been so easy.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really surprising. I've been expecting the numbers would go up but was hoping they wouldn't.

I just hope that we don't have a big explosion of cases.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ontario numbers going way up while the backlog keeps going down. It was expected that a bunch of positive people didn't know they were positive because they were waiting on results.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I want the number of cases to get higher because I want us to test more and more to have an actual idea of the actual number. More cases detected = more people in actual quarantine = less people getting infected. Acting every single day like "Good job!" or "For fuck's sake!" any time we see numbers pop up doesn't really help us. Not pointing anyone out, I've done that too. There's going to be spikes, there's going to be lows. It's the overall number over consecuvite days/weeks that is important to look at and that will show where we're headed. It's not just the overall number of cases we have to look at.

Like yesterday in Quebec we went from 50 people to 57 people in the ICU. Yes, there was +4 deaths total in the province (not sure if any were in the ICU at the hospital). But I saw a tweet from a former Health Minister (not popular here because of the past, but he's been a star these days informing people IMO) saying that ources told him that the number of ICU cases went up to more than 70 at one point during the day. Meaning that a lot of people were actually discharged from ICU. So we see a +7 in ICU numbers, but it still means people are getting out of it every day.

On one hand, it's the different government's jobs to inform the people. But on the other hand, there are so many variables at play here that it's really unrealistic to think that us, the general public, have the necessary understanding to parse this information correctly. This is starting to show a lot on social media. More and more posts from Canadian provinces shitting on each other because of current rises in numbers in some provinces.

I think it's pretty clear our different governments are taking it seriously, and that Canada as a country is really making good decisions in order to get through this as best as we can. Lockdowns seem to be respected pretty much everywhere, people believe in the measures and want them to continue in order for our country to get better.

Quebec update about to start!

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Come in Ontario. For fucks sakes!

It's it only raining today but i'm suffering from some serious case of gout this weekend so staying in has never been so easy.

For the next few weeks that number is going to be all over the place, especially as test turnaround gets faster, and more testing occurs. Those 221 cases could be even higher if we knew all the numbers, and lower if we tested those people yesterday. Day to day numbers mean next to nothing. I'd say look at the numbers every two weeks to get a better guage of what's happening.

Goemontheninja said it best, that these numbers mean next to nothing to most people.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For the next few weeks that number is going to be all over the place, especially as test turnaround gets faster, and more testing occurs. Those 221 cases could be even higher if we knew all the numbers, and lower if we tested those people yesterday. Day to day numbers mean next to nothing. I'd say look at the numbers every two weeks to get a better guage of what's happening.

Goemontheninja said it best, that these numbers mean next to nothing to most people.

Part of me wonders why when they are issuing updates to the number, they aren't providing the numbers tagged as retroactive to the date the swab was taken. Like why are they reporting positive on March 29th for a sample that was taken March 20th? Just update the number for March 20th and give the updated totals. I feel like that would probably be a better statistical look at our current situation.

Last edited:

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Dr.Arruda says that while our curve is still not flattened, our acceleration rate is currently under our projections!

Also, when asked about how it's going to work when we gradually reopen some businesses, he said that (paraphrasing) "This is not a pause to relax, and it's not just a pause to slow down the virus. We also have to look at it as a way to reflect on the way we work and change it going forward."

Was specifically talking about things like family/work time, more opportunities for remote work, etc.

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wonders why when they are issuing updates to the number, they aren't providing the numbers tagged as retroactive to the date the swab was taken. Like why are they reporting positive on March 29th for a sample that was taken March 20th? Just update the number for March 20th and give the updated totals. I feel like that would probably be a better statistical look atour current situation.

Maybe they don't want a better statistical look at our current situation.

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
NL up to 135, 7 in hospital, 2 in ICU, 4 recoveries. 99 of the current cases are linked to the funeral home incident here.

Rumors flying around Facebook yesterday that someone who tested positive just casually went to Costco yesterday morning, and while it's most likely bullshit, it's scary as hell. My work was maggoty yesterday, they finally had to close the doors to new customers when the checkout lines were getting across the store and no one was distancing. I had to go out back and stay there, so many people getting in my space and I was getting anxious.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Arruda physically explaining what flattening a curve means

VU6433O.gif

Hahaha. That's good.

For us kendo nerds, we understand better if you describe as "two shinai distance"... ๐Ÿ‘€

Haha nice. Start preaching it!

There will be spikes on the road to recovery. As long as the trend line is pointing in the right direction.

Yeah. I hope so. :( No update today anyway...

Oct 27, 2017

High park and Bloor in Toronto.
Five minutes ago.

Goddamn it!

It's a sunny day here. I'm seeing pedestrians out my window, but it's definitely quieter than I expected, so that's good to see. People are mostly giving each other a wide berth and some are crossing the road too to make space.

The craziest thing is how many elderly people in walkers I'm seeing out. Like... guys, seriously? I went out for a few minutes to take my trash out and saw like 4 people in walkers out on the sidewalks.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
it's 16 out today right now in toronto, absolutely not surprised that people are gonna head out. i just hope they're staying apart from each other at least

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Five minutes ago.

People really aren't taking this seriously.

...But also what does this say for how obsolutely fucking overworked everybody is that despite all the risks, people are so desperate for a vacation that they are willing to toss their own lives (and the lives of others) on the line.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Five minutes ago.

I can see the Martin Goodman Trail from my window and it's like your average spring weekend out there. People are not taking this seriously at all. People have even been taking down the closed signs and tape around playground equipment.

What's funny is a week ago people were actually staying inside. Now they've come back out.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
So, there is a Superstore in Oshawa, ON that had an employee die of Covid (no history of travel or close ties to a traveler). The store stayed open after a thorough cleaning when the victim first tested positive. Well, now another employee has tested positive and the store IS STILL OPEN. How are all the employees not being told to self-isolate? Why are they all back working together and serving customers? What the absolute fuck is going on? Oshawa is not a small town, there are plenty of other grocery stores there.

Ontario is headed for complete lockdown.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
So, there is a Superstore in Oshawa, ON that had an employee die of Covid (no history of travel or close ties to a traveler). The store stayed open after a thorough cleaning when the victim first tested positive. Well, now another employee has tested positive and the store IS STILL OPEN. How are all the employees not being told to self-isolate? Why are they all back working together and serving customers? What the absolute fuck is going on? Oshawa is not a small town, there are plenty of other grocery stores there.

Ontario is headed for complete lockdown.

This is what pisses me off.

In other news. I have a low grade fever today and feel like i've been fighting something all day. Will call the doctor's office tomorrow to see if i can get tested. But i criteria hasn't changed since the beginning...

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
glad that the test backlog is getting reduced everyday. hopefully we'll soon get to the point where we can test way more in ontario as that's the only real way out of this until a vaccine arrives.

at the very least i'm real happy we're not america, right now. we gotta keep that border closed indefinitely

Oct 25, 2017
glad that the test backlog is getting reduced everyday. hopefully we'll soon get to the point where we can test way more in ontario as that's the only real way out of this until a vaccine arrives.

at the very least i'm real happy we're not america, right now. we gotta keep that border closed indefinitely

The goal is 18-19k tests a day by April 20th I think so we'll see

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes! Hope you're ok djkimothy.

Did you lose your sense of smell or taste? I think that was a symptom as well.

No. So far it's just a fever. There's a slight dry cough but it's not my primary symptom and i have been have dry hacks since february.

So far just a headache, feeling of tiredness, muscle ache and 38 C temperature.

Lungs ok so far but i'm not leaving it to chance. Drinking a lot of water. I've been in bed all day.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Five minutes ago.

FWIW, I used to live by High Park so I know that stretch pretty well. If I'm reading the street sign in the distance correctly, that's Colborne Lodge Drive/High Park Boulevard in the distance, and the shot is taken from Parkview Gardens, just before two restaurants. The distance from Parkview to Colborne Lodge is about 250m. There's also a grocery store and I think a pharmacy in that 250m stretch, so it could very well just be a lot of people doing their grocery shopping for the week. So while that's still more people than I'd want to see out on the sidewalk at once, it's not like those people are packed in like sardines.

I do worry, though, that people are becoming complacent after two weeks of self-isolation. The news out of New York is quite dire, so hopefully that reminds people up here why we're doing all this in the first place.