• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My sister is refusing to get her kids vaccinated and I don't know what to do about that. Our mother is too desperate to keep her in her life to tell her "go vaccinate your kids" so I dunno if I can rely on her to step in.

What do I do? I can't book it and take them myself, can I?

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
My sister is refusing to get her kids vaccinated and I don't know what to do about that. Our mother is too desperate to keep her in her life to tell her "go vaccinate your kids" so I dunno if I can rely on her to step in.

In Ontario, any kid can get vaccinated as long as they're deemed old enough to give informed consent themselves (if not, consent must come from the parent or guardian).

So it really depends on their age. Also... this would probably ruin your relationship with your sister, so it depends if you're willing to go there?

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting how this is all coming 2 weeks after fairly severe restrictions came into play. But yes, restrictions don't work.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanently): Troll Account; Spreading Misinformation During a Pandemic

I thought we were past this. The vaccine isn't reducing transmission.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Ontario, any kid can get vaccinated as long as they're deemed old enough to give informed consent themselves (if not, consent must come from the parent or guardian).

So it really depends on their age. Also... this would probably ruin your relationship with your sister, so it depends if you're willing to go there?
Shes 11 and her little brother is 5.

My sister is trash so I don't care about her.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I think you would definitely have a case with the 11 year old if she wants to get it! Maybe reach to your PHU to be sure?
I would assume taking someone else's kid to get vaccinated is going to open a whole can of worms though.
Likely a cushy appointment waiting for him in the private for-profit LTC sector that he helped drive further into the ground.
I see that for Fullerton. Philips just seems like generic corporate board guy. lol

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
Shes 11 and her little brother is 5.

My sister is trash so I don't care about her.
More info, it definitely depends on the age and the city. This is about 12+, but she's 11, that would probably apply too.

www.thestar.com

Do Ontario children 12-15 need parental consent to get COVID-19 vaccines? It depends where you live

While provincial law states that children can consent to taking vaccines on their own, at least one public health unit is asking for a parent’s approval. Doctors say tweens and teens are perfectly capable of making a decision about their health, without a parent or guardian’s consent.

The provincial Health Care Consent Act states there is no minimum age to provide consent for vaccination and a child does not need external permission to receive one.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you would definitely have a case with the 11 year old if she wants to get it! Maybe reach to your PHU to be sure?

More info, it definitely depends on the age and the city. This is about 12+, but she's 11, that would probably apply too.

www.thestar.com

Do Ontario children 12-15 need parental consent to get COVID-19 vaccines? It depends where you live

While provincial law states that children can consent to taking vaccines on their own, at least one public health unit is asking for a parent’s approval. Doctors say tweens and teens are perfectly capable of making a decision about their health, without a parent or guardian’s consent.
Thanks for these. I'll see what I can do.

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
So they're saying they weren't reporting those types of covid cases before? They were only reporting on people who were hospitalized specifically FOR covid cases?
Apparently?
bc.ctvnews.ca

B.C.'s COVID-19 hospitalization total to jump as province changes reporting system

The B.C. government has announced it's moving to a system of "census hospitalization reporting," meaning that every patient in hospital who tests positive for COVID-19 will be included in daily numbers.

So many people were saying that +30 hospitals was nothing in BC if half were incidental pfff

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
BC Update:

+2,275 new cases
+6 deaths
-646 in hospital (+112)*
-95 in ICU (-7)
-13,688 tests administered (16.6% positive)
-35,943 active cases (-106)
-64,485 vaccines administered, with a total of 1,412,493 boosters
-83.3% of eligible people (5+) have 2 doses
-30.5% of eligible people (12+) have 3 doses

-even though the new cases numbers are total bullshit, provided they don't ~open things up on Tuesday (...eeeh....), I think we've seen the peak of new cases. Mostly just going by positive percentage, which has dropped from around 25% at the peak, to 16/17%. So... on that metric, we're not shooting up rapidly anymore. Onto waiting for the hospital peak... speaking of...

*Re hospitalizations:
"The new method for counting COVID-19 in hospitals amounts to a "census" of all positive cases, regardless of their reason for admission, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry explained at a Friday morning briefing, acknowledging it was an "overestimate."

"It includes people related, because of COVID. It includes people who are incidentally found to have COVID-19, and it includes people who were part of an outbreak or cluster in a hospital, so acquired it while they were in the hospital for something else," she said.

"Right now, about 45 per cent of the people in the hospital at this point are people who are incidentally found to have COVID. It does have an impact on things like infection control practices in the hospital. But it does also give us a measure of where we are in terms of impact.""

She also acknowledges that "there were currently about 45 or 50 people being admitted for COVID daily."

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the last few days of positivity rate in Ontario have got me scratching my head as to what's going on.

Jan 8: 30.6%
Jan 9: 27.7%
Jan 10: 26.7%
Jan 11: 24.4%
Jan 12: 20.3%
Jan 13: 21.4%
Jan 14: 21.8%
Jan 15: 24.8%

(I know that our restricted testing complicates things, but the positivity rate still should not be rising right now)

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Got my booster, now a Pfizer/Moderna super mutant. SO remains a triple Moderna.

Back to wave 1 deaths, how nice.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Seems like I got it. Had a minor cough yesterday, woke up with a sore throat, and now have body aches. Gonna stay in bed and hope for the best. Have one rapid test, and will probably use it tomorrow to confirm.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like I got it. Had a minor cough yesterday, woke up with a sore throat, and now have body aches. Gonna stay in bed and hope for the best. Have one rapid test, and will probably use it tomorrow to confirm.

give it a couple days before using the rapid test and consider swabbing your throat - NHS in the UK are recommending throat plus nasal swab. I did that before I got my positive test.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Get better and I hope it doesn't hit too bad.

fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

Yikes, hope it passes quickly.

Thanks everyone. Going on day 4 since the rapid test came back positive. 5/6 days since the initial symptoms. So far I've (thankfully) got it incredibly mild. Runny nose, A sore throat here or there, anywhere from a light amount to a moderate amount of coughing, a light pressure in my chest (feels like my phone was sitting on it all the time). First couple days had random chills that faded in and out. And a persistant inability to sleep at night unless I dose myself with nyquil or something of that nature to induse drowsiness. Thankfully I'm getting it easy so far, thankfully I kept my taste, and hopefully it stays that way.

My brother on the other hand is getting it much more rough than me. He's getting the full range of symptoms, coughing pretty heavily and running the complete run of symptoms despite being the same double vaxed as I. Just goes to show the difference and how stupid the "mild" term really is when its thrown around since its covering everything from "Basically asymptomatic" to "Well, atleast you didn't have to go to the hospital and get some extra oxygen".

It's also been a pain trying to figure out guidelines for how long to isolate and all that jazz. Only really got a single unused Rapid test in the house and its not like they're doing much official testing for the general public aside from the critical fields. So I'm pretty much left to make a guess as to when I stop isolating. 5 days from symptoms being gone? 10 days? 2 weeks? Where is the guidance. How long do I hole myself up in my room away from others in the house. Ontario really dropped the ball on actual physical guidance that isn't "Ehhhhhh, just feel it out".

And lastly... once this thing gets kicked to the curb... how long do I have to wait before I can finally get the booster? Do I have to wait another 3 months, or do I just go in immediately and grab it? Its frusturating just how little guidance there actually is -.-

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's also been a pain trying to figure out guidelines for how long to isolate and all that jazz. Only really got a single unused Rapid test in the house and its not like they're doing much official testing for the general public aside from the critical fields. So I'm pretty much left to make a guess as to when I stop isolating. 5 days from symptoms being gone? 10 days? 2 weeks? There is the guidance. How long do I hole myself up in my room away from others in the house. Ontario really dropped the ball on actual physical guidance that isn't "Ehhhhhh, just feel it out".
Easier said than done, but two weeks is probably the safest anyway. Everything else is more about taking chances, but like 5 days is just so people don't complain to the government about being trapped for 2 weeks without pay anymore.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
give it a couple days before using the rapid test and consider swabbing your throat - NHS in the UK are recommending throat plus nasal swab. I did that before I got my positive test.

I started having symptoms since last night and well today was pretty meh to awful by night time. It's not worse than my second dose so far but I'm also expecting this to get far worse in the next few days.

Guess I'll be holed up for the entirety of my week off. Thanks for the tip though. I was exposed on Wednesday so I'll try to use the rapid test either tomorrow night or Monday morning.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

January 16: #COVID19 in #Ontario

- Cases*: 10450
- Deaths*: 10605 (40)
- Hospital: 3595 (-362)
- ICU: 579 (+21)
- Vented: 340 (+21)
- Active: 94408 (-4907)
💉 Vaccines: 117,452(1st:11471, 2: 10969; 3: 95012)
- Rt: cant't est. accurately

Dashboard: https://t.co/7w2j9q1fWA https://t.co/vlwWSX8lZN

3,595 people are hospitalized with #COVID19. Please note that not all hospitals report on weekends.

There are 579 people in ICU with COVID-19.

There are 10,450 new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario

Today's numbers will be available at 10:30 a.m. at https://t.co/ypmgZbVRvn.

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
Québec... :( And that was yesterday. Today 3300 hospitalizations and 282 ICUs

4e64q3htz1c81.jpg

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Any word when Quebec is going to open up booster shots for ages 12 - 17? I have a 17-year old daughter I would like to book. With children returning to school tomorrow, or the day after due to a snow day, I would like for my daughter to have additional protection.