• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
Lol, on Tuesday, Dr Arruda was saying that Québec City, Lévis and Gatineau had 98% chance of switching back to red zone on April 12th.

They're now talking about extending the special measures. Why do they keep lying to people? You can't be 98% sure of anything right now. Their communications are just *so frustrating*.

www.lapresse.ca

Québec et Lévis | Le traitement de choc risque de s’allonger

Le gouvernement Legault envisage sérieusement de prolonger les mesures spéciales d’urgence à Québec et à Lévis en raison d’une flambée des nouveaux cas de COVID-19 dans les deux régions qui sera annoncée ce jeudi.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Here are the promised additional safety measures promised by Lecce to keep our schools safe™.

IpDAgCi.gif

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
I know that they're not giving AZ in Abitibi (Québec) because they have too many South Africa variant cases. Seems like it's okay with the UK one though.
We should hope its ok with UK one, most of uk is vaccinated with AZ and the variant is close to a 100% spread in UK , if it wasn't effective, UK would still be in inferno

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
So those 18+ hotspot mobile vaccines in Toronto and GTA will not be administered by municipality's existing vaccine services, but by "community outreach." - what does that even mean?

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, on Tuesday, Dr Arruda was saying that Québec City, Lévis and Gatineau had 98% chance of switching back to red zone on April 12th.

They're now talking about extending the special measures. Why do they keep lying to people? You can't be 98% sure of anything right now. Their communications are just *so frustrating*.

www.lapresse.ca

Québec et Lévis | Le traitement de choc risque de s’allonger

Le gouvernement Legault envisage sérieusement de prolonger les mesures spéciales d’urgence à Québec et à Lévis en raison d’une flambée des nouveaux cas de COVID-19 dans les deux régions qui sera annoncée ce jeudi.

Well, it was opposed to going back to Orange.

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
Well, it was opposed to going back to Orange.
That's not what the article says : "Le Dr ]Arruda précisait que les régions visées — Québec, Lévis, Gatineau, une MRC de l'Outaouais et cinq MRC de Chaudière-Appalaches — avaient, le 12 avril, « 98 % des chances de passer en zone rouge » et de ne plus être soumises aux mesures d'urgence. Un retour en zone orange comme auparavant était toutefois exclu."

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what the article says : "Le Dr ]Arruda précisait que les régions visées — Québec, Lévis, Gatineau, une MRC de l'Outaouais et cinq MRC de Chaudière-Appalaches — avaient, le 12 avril, « 98 % des chances de passer en zone rouge » et de ne plus être soumises aux mesures d'urgence. Un retour en zone orange comme auparavant était toutefois exclu."

That's interesting. That's not how I remember the press conference going.

For some reason, they really do not want to hint to any changes in their plan. Even when we lay people can see it happen miles away. 10 days was never enough. It's like 24 days minimum to have an impact.

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
That's interesting. That's not how I remember the press conference going.

For some reason, they really do not want to hint to any changes in their plan. Even when we lay people can see it happen miles away. 10 days was never enough. It's like 24 days minimum to have an impact.
Exactly. I just don't understand their communications. At least they do add measures and try to keep them. But I also understand why the population is getting frustrated. They keep telling them they won't do something and then do it the next day.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
There was a study done in SA about the B1.351 variant, and it showed that the AZ vaccine only had around 10% efficacy in stopping infection. This study has been used to justify not taking the vaccine. The issue, however, was that the study only looked at infection rates, not severe disease outcome. It appears that the AZ vaccine (and possibly the J&J vaccine) are not that effective at preventing people from catching the B1.351 variant, but they are good at still preventing severe disease.

This is because immunity is (simplified) caused by two things: antibodies, and t-cells. The AZ vaccine doesn't provide good antibody protection, but the t-cell protection is good. So the B1.351 variant isn't stopped by the antibodies (first line of defense), but once it starts to multiply in the body, t-cells are able to stop it from getting serious. So basically, with the AZ vaccine you are likely to experience symptoms (flu-like, etc) and spread the virus, but not likely to be hospitalized or die. So not as good as the mRNA vaccines for sure, but also much better than nothing.

In a perfect world if we had no community spread and a large supply of Pfizer/Moderna, I'd say we should ditch AZ (and even J&J)...but we don't have either.
It's not a case that the second shot is what protects you against the variants. It's that the second shot acts like a booster and in testing saw a rise in the efficacy when dealing with protection but with that said the shots are not a magic bullet and that just because you have it means you're fully immune.

I highly recommend watching this video from vox

Also this one

-edit-

CitizenVectron You really should post more in this topic. I know you've spent a lot of time looking at vaccines as well.

Thank you both for the insight and peace of mind, I really do appreciate the clarification and I'll be watching both videos shortly

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018

That's a lot of cases. 9 more people in ICU as well. It looks like there's almost no point in talking about normal COVID anymore either, 71% of cases are variants, it will be 100% in weeks.

I wonder what our vaccination rate will look like tomorrow given the no appointment AZ campaign.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Exactly. I just don't understand their communications. At least they do add measures and try to keep them. But I also understand why the population is getting frustrated. They keep telling them they won't do something and then do it the next day.

They said multiple times everything is on the table and things change quickly. But yeah I think they are trying to be too gentle with people, which turns out to make things worse.

I knew Quebec City was closing for a while... But hey CHOI FM said there wasn't going to be a third wave!?

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For Quebec City to be worse than Montreal with only 1/3 the population is depressing. I know that Montreal have a lot more people that are vaccinated, but is it really just that? I'm sure variants are as present there than in Quebec City.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
For Quebec City to be worse than Montreal with only 1/3 the population is depressing. I know that Montreal have a lot more people that are vaccinated, but is it really just that? I'm sure variants are as present there than in Quebec City.
I think the stupid decision to drop to Orange status is the cause. In Montreal we have been in red since...the dawn of time

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
Mostly that gym outbreak that led to over 30 workplace outbreaks and from there... well it's exponential.

Esti de Jeff Fillion. Can't believe he's still around.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Fucking Fillion was saying no third wave like 4 days ago. I'm sure he led some of his believers to the hospital/grave.

Mar 3, 2018
Fucking hell. My procedure got delayed again due to everything that's happening. Feel like it'll keep getting delayed until ICUs and numbers drop by a lot. Thankfully I have meds to take which help a lot.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see a lot of people going for the AZ shot at the walk in clinics.

Vaccination in Quebec needs to be more nimble, we need to move groups as quickly as possible. once you see lower demand from one group its time to move to the next.

Group 8/9 should have started in Montreal last week. Granted with Quebec city exploding, guess it made sense to reroute doses towards the regions. Appointments still wnt unfilled though which is wrong.

Today though, we should be going max speed.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inappropriate language, usage of ableist slur
This jeff fillion thing is real ???? Fuck the stupid retarded unicellular ,not even one braincell

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
The 300K Covax AZ will be delivered to all provinces by tomorrow and Moderna is still no where to be seen and won't come till end of next week.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just letting y'all know, if the vaccines in the hotspots in Toronto really are going to be distributed by airdrop/ "community outreach programs", I'm getting to it first. IDC. I'll turn this city into Mad Max/Fallout New Vegas if I have to! The vaccine will be mine!

I'm building my power armour right now! Nobody stops Courier Six! /s

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The 300K Covax AZ will be delivered to all provinces by tomorrow and Moderna is still no where to be seen and won't come till end of next week.

Moderna needs to start figuring their deliveries out. They've been consistently late for a few times now, and their numbers are supposed to start ramping up quite a bit very soon.

We're lucky Pfizer has been so reliable. They've been doing a great job of keeping up with their forecasts.

Last edited:

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool, La Région des Terres-Cries-de-la-Baie-James hit 70% first dose coverage today. Nord-du-Québec should follow them soon.

Moderna needs to start figuring their deliveries out. They've been consistently late for a few times now, and their numbers are supposed to start ramping up quite a bit very soon.

We're lucky Pfizer has been so reliable. They've been doing a great job of keeping up with their forecasts.

pfizer has been really good to us. Consistent and high.

Last edited:

Pheneatis

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa (ON)
To be fair, most Beer Stores are completely useless. Before moving here, I'd never seen a beer store where you have to order what you want at the counter, no inventory (only a computer inventory that barely worked). Let me browse lol