• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Dont even get me started on that. I wouldn't have thought it was profitable to literally kill off the people you are sucking money from due to incompetance. But apperently I was wrong.

If they have to choose who dies they'll choose the ones who aren't generating money lol.

Didn't Scheer want the CERB student benefit only for those who can get a job?

If you're not working then you're useless to a Con.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I really worry now what things will be like over the next few weeks. I don't know how the provincial government reached a point where deaths are acceptable and it's worth risking a sizeable portion of the population over the next few weeks as some part of a grand experiment.

Deaths are inevitable sure, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to keep as many people as possible safe, especially the elderly. What happened in Ste Dorothee is completely unacceptable.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
BC new cases rising. People aren't following physical distancing as much and it's been worse for last 1-2 weeks, so makes sense that new cases rising. You'll see impact of what you do around this 1-2 weeks after you do it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
BC new cases rising. People aren't following physical distancing as much and it's been worse for last 1-2 weeks, so makes sense that new cases rising. You'll see impact of what you do around this 1-2 weeks after you do it.

To be fair, most of the jumps the last little bit have been these chicken processing plants... very few in the actual community.

But yes, people are not following the rules as much and I expect a rise again...

We'll see what today's numbers bring.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really worry now what things will be like over the next few weeks. I don't know how the provincial government reached a point where deaths are acceptable and it's worth risking a sizeable portion of the population over the next few weeks as some part of a grand experiment.

Deaths are inevitable sure, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to keep as many people as possible safe, especially the elderly. What happened in Ste Dorothee is completely unacceptable.

In their mind, people need to work and the federal checks they get aren't enough to cover for most things, they need some sort of "normal" to come back, most of the deaths are from CHSLDs, and they believe most people will be resonable with masks and/or social distancing, so it's worth the risk. And I'm guessing they're not the only ones thinking that.

I mean... it make some sort of sense, but I don't trust most people to be reasonable with masks and social distancing. As an example from my family, my mom can't wait to see her sons again & give them hugs, and she sure as hell isn't going to wait until next year for that. And then there is my parents who want to invite me and my brothers(and girlfriends) to a cottage in June for a couple of days. Good luck trying to do proper social distancing in there. What are we gonna do? Stay 2 meters from every couples and eat in different rooms? Yeah right.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Our doctor in Ontario told us the medical association is saying right now they're aiming to open up doctor offices in late june/early july and non-critical surgeries etc. But they don't expect it will be "back to normal" for everyone else for the rest of the year.

Also this thing isn't just going away and will be an annual thing like the flu.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
my allergy immunization therapy is whacked this year (allergy doctor closed the office in late March)

probably will cause me to reset back to 0 next year

I'm losing the war on birch

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Our doctor in Ontario told us the medical association is saying right now they're aiming to open up doctor offices in late june/early july and non-critical surgeries etc. But they don't expect it will be "back to normal" for everyone else for the rest of the year.

Also this thing isn't just going away and will be an annual thing like the flu.
So we are on lockdown for the rest of the year? RIP life.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
BC Update:

+25 new cases
+2 new deaths
-82 hospitalized
-30 in ICU
-1322/2112 deemed recovered

Re Current Outbreaks:

-No new cases at any of the poultry plants today. Sounds like they're getting WorkSafeBC involved in who makes policies and why this happened
-12 new cases at Mission Institute (120 cases now)
-it's been 100 days since the province made its first announcement regarding COVID
-premiere will speak next week (after more modelling) about moving forward
-Dr. Henry continues to stress: "Right now we need to stay strong and continue to bend our curve down"
-Next phase of physical distancing restrictions, can expand social circles but doing it in a way that is safe. "We need to be thoughtful about it," Dr. Henry says. It may be fine for young people to connect with other small groups of friends, but no indoor parties.

Steady as she goes, BC. 🙌

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Still 800+ new cases in QC today, 98 deaths. 5 hospitals got outbreak. One CHSLD has all of its patient completely infected.

Also apparently Summer Camps are opening in June for kids. Legault wants any means possible to dump kids somewhere so that their parents can work.

Fou à lier...

EDIT : If you wonder how the whole CHSLD got contaminated. Here's an hint from a Québec city hospital

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So an update: Seems like they are sending the teachers and support staff back with gloves, masks and full face shields. Going to cause some nightmares for kids, but as long as people stay safe...

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
So an update: Seems like they are sending the teachers and support staff back with gloves, masks and full face shields. Going to cause some nightmares for kids, but as long as people stay safe...

Are they really going for the herd immunity approach with the kids? I'm still not sure how this is going to pan out. Hopefully people are safe and protected.

Oct 27, 2017

That will end pretty fast:
  • Breathing in masks all day is tiring, some people will be lazy
  • Can't use touchscreens with gloves
  • Unless kids also get these things, won't stop infection spreading in a school

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Are they really going for the herd immunity approach with the kids? I'm still not sure how this is going to pan out. Hopefully people are safe and protected.
That will end pretty fast:
  • Breathing in masks all day is tiring, some people will be lazy
  • Can't use touchscreens with gloves
  • Unless kids also get these things, won't stop infection spreading in a school

The "interesting" thing so far is that the number of kids going back seems to be wildly inconsistent based off each class. For instance, my wife only seems to have one morning student and one or two evening students going back so far. The other class, in comparison, has all 8 students going back both morning and afternoon.

And since they are kids with high amounts of special needs, they can't just spread the kids around to other classrooms.

Teachers and support staff are having to fill out paperwork asking about their situations, for instance my wife had to flag that she lives with someone over the age of 60 with health problems. However, her bosses told her not to expect that to keep her home, the question is only there for young kids who might be at health risk if their parent goes back to work.

So once again, our attitude is fuck old people.

In addition to that, one thing I found interesting is that the questionnaire didn't even ask how each employee gets to work. An employee that takes public transportation is way more likely to get infected.

Just shows that the rich people who design these things have no concept of what the average family looks like these days and also assumes that everyone will have a car.

denisqc

Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
yes, the QC Gov , from my point of view, absolutely fucks old people over
If I was VERY sarcastic and was doing very dark humour I would say that this so-called economy government found a way to solve the pension problems : let old people die
I do not care about the economy, let it crash as long as you show people care and do not let them die
and for the school reopenings, apparently they will not supply masks to teacher from what I read in lapresse...
get a grip !
I am lucky enough to be able to work from home, but my kids wont go to school until september, no way I let them go now

sorry for the rant but sometimes you need to let it out

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
This whole school situation is really not well thought out. I mean at least have the proper planning in place before announcing you will open, it really is not making a lot of sense.

Take the time and put a structure in place for distance learning, which could be an other nightmare with unions. I know my kids have had teachers who absolutely refuse to use Google classroom and work on Chomebooks/Ipads even though it is part of the curriculum

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ontario numbers:

421 new cases.
39 new deaths.

16,532 tests completed (highest yet)
205 new cases outside the 80+/healthcare worker groups/LTCs.

Age death ranges:

0 - 20 to 39
0 - 40 to 59
9 - 60 to 79
30 - 80+

Current ICUs at lowest since April 6th.
Active cases at lowest since April 18th.
11.7% of cases were hospitalized.
2.6% increase of infections.

1,121 deaths have been reported.
541 of the 1121 deaths in the province are from long term care homes.
198 outbreaks have been reported in long-term care homes. Increase of +8.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This whole school situation is really not well thought out. I mean at least have the proper planning in place before announcing you will open, it really is not making a lot of sense.

Take the time and put a structure in place for distance learning, which could be an other nightmare with unions. I know my kids have had teachers who absolutely refuse to use Google classroom and work on Chomebooks/Ipads even though it is part of the curriculum

My boss actually suggested that reopening schools should have started with something really simple, like a teacher being paired with a student and visiting them once a week or something. Then from there, gradually increase everything.

The way things are going now is absolutely going to lead to more infections.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is talking about the plan to open businesses, but when will it be ok to visit my parents and family/friends?

Cargo Shorts

Oct 25, 2017
On Global news (BC) they're saying people are currently applying online for the $1000 support that BC is offering starting today, but I can't find the link anywhere.

www2.gov.bc.ca

B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers

A tax-free, one time $1,000 payment for B.C. residents whose ability to work has been affected due to COVID-19.

The page was last updated April 23. Anyone find the link?

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Everyone is talking about the plan to open businesses, but when will it be ok to visit my parents and family/friends?

Yeah, admittedly I'm working from home so I am definitely not as hard hit as millions of other people. But I really just want to see my girlfriend again; she lives just outside Montreal and I'm in Ottawa.

We've just decided that, minimal risk or not, we have no intention of crossing provincial borders and potentially spreading from one community to the other by going to each other's places. But it's been 6 or 7 weeks at this point that we haven't seen each other in person, and it's getting old. We've done like 4 or 5 months without seeing each other before from Montreal to Halifax, so definitely not the worst we've been through, but it still sucks.

Apr 24, 2018
On Global news (BC) they're saying people are currently applying online for the $1000 support that BC is offering starting today, but I can't find the link anywhere.

www2.gov.bc.ca

B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers

A tax-free, one time $1,000 payment for B.C. residents whose ability to work has been affected due to COVID-19.

The page was last updated April 23. Anyone find the link?
I cant figure this out either.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Are you talking Ontario? EVery jurisdiction is different. But considering school is closed until end of May. Maybe small gathering of one household at a time to visit family and friends will be part of the initial roll out. I thought i read it somewhere but i could just be imagining things...

Mar 3, 2018
still can't believe with everything happening in Quebec they are opening schools. Just can't over this bizarre decision and I don't even live in Quebec

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking Ontario? EVery jurisdiction is different. But considering school is closed until end of May. Maybe small gathering of one household at a time to visit family and friends will be part of the initial roll out. I thought i read it somewhere but i could just be imagining things...
Yeah, Im in Toronto

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
www.cnn.com

Expert report predicts up to two more years of pandemic misery | CNN

Covid-19 is not going away, a new report on the coronavirus pandemic says. The report from CIDRAP predicts 18 months to two more years of Covid-19 cases and deaths.

The thing about moving the re-opening of schools in September is so that we can learn more about the virus and maybe find effective drugs. But we will still be in a pandemic situation for a long time.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory generalization about a large group of people + multiple previous bans for offensive generalizations concerning that same group

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
Ontario announcing certain businesses can open or start to prepare to open

Garden centres with curbside pickup / delivery only
Lawn services
Automatic / self serve car washes
Auto dealership by appointment only
Golf courses may prepare but not open for the season
Marinas may prepare but not open to the public
Additional essential construction including shipping and logistics, broadband telecommunication and digital infrastructure, municipal projects, colleges and universities, child care centres, schools, site prep/excavation

https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/1256272433612500999?s=20