• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we can get Krogan suits with domes to cover the face :p

Solid plan!

My friend jokingly suggested this last year when I was wanting to get a sun hat and couldn't find one I liked. Now it looks like a legit purchase.

61GXeCmH-JL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Solid plan!

My friend jokingly suggested this last year when I was wanting to get a sun hat and couldn't find one I liked. Now it looks like a legit purchase.

Haha, hilariously my mom was wearing a sun shield like that today and the wind kept blowing it down on her face. It's the perfect for the sun and the coronavirus! :D

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, hilariously my mom was wearing a sun shield like that today and the wind kept blowing it down on her face. It's the perfect for the sun and the coronavirus! :D

Yeah it sure seems like a pretty reasonable thing to want now! I hadn't thought about how annoying it might be if the hinge part is kind of weak though, hmm.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, and nothing against our doctors, they're still the best qualified people to make these decisions.
But it's FUCKING scary out there, the stress they deal with, they haven't really encountered something like this before, I can see how things CAN slip through the cracks, put the wrong person on intubator, etc...

Thought of you when I saw this article. It turns out medical practice is starting to move away from sedating people and putting them on ventilators due to low blood oxygen:

One reason is that contrary to expectations, a number of doctors at New York hospitals believe intubation is helping fewer people with Covid-19 than other respiratory illnesses and that longer stays on the mechanical ventilators lead to other serious complications. The matter is far from settled.

"Intubated patients with Covid lung disease are doing very poorly, and while this may be the disease and not the mechanical ventilation, most of us believe that intubation is to be avoided until unequivocally required," Dr. Strayer said.

This shift has lightened the load on nursing staffs and the rest of the hospital. "You put a tube into somebody," Dr. Levitan said, "and the amount of work required not to kill that person goes up by a factor of 100," creating a cascade that slows down laboratory results, X-rays and other care.

By committing all the resources of the hospital to highly complex care, mass mechanical ventilation of patients forms a medical Maginot line.

Too late for Nick, obviously, but potentially better news for anyone who gets sick now.

If I'm allowed to, I would appreciate anyone who is willing to sign this petition my union has set up:

| Canadian Region

Done.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought of you when I saw this article. It turns out medical practice is starting to move away from sedating people and putting them on ventilators due to low blood oxygen:

Too late for Nick, obviously, but potentially better news for anyone who gets sick now.
This is exactly what was going on in the back of my mind because a few days earlier I had read that article from that doctor saying the current practice of intubation is too premature.

The simple and unfortunate fact is that our doctors are dealing with something they haven't dealt with before, so it's natural they don't know exactly what their doing, and there being a trial and error element to it. Thankfully they're doctors, which means they're educated more than thoroughly and they know better than anyone where the limits of their knowledge lie, and subsequently how to work together with other doctors and scientists to overcome these limits.

It's just a bit scary, they're still humans that make mistakes in the face of pressures and stress, but on the other hand they're more qualified than any other human to be in their positions. But uncertainty is scary regardless, probability of chaos looms at every corner.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Solid plan!

saw a lady in Vancouver the other day who had modified one of these to hang a further face shield off the front. She looked like a cyberpunk beekeeper

I'm morbidly fascinated by the debate surrounding the reopening of the economy. You can tell a lot about a person by where they stand on it. It's maybe the most complex public health choice any modern government has ever faced.

realistically, we shouldn't be reopening until one of the following scenarios:

cases are practically nil in Canada and everyone is being tested regularly

we have a silver bullet treatment that's as accessible as advil

vaccine becomes available

follow those guidelines and you put millions into poverty and death. It's insane what governments are having to make rapid decisions on

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So, two planes that was supposed to picked up PPE from China was sent back without getting any. I wonder what it is this time.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Québec 12th in the world for deaths per million pop. We really let down our old people in the care homes! 850 of our deaths come from there! We're extremely lucky the virus isn't spread more in the community outside of Montréal and hasn't led to more critical care cases. Montréal is gonna get swarmed, hospitals are filling up (as per usual, at least ...).

I'm in Capitale-Nationale region and we're most likely going to be very ok. But holy fuck, this death ratio is insane. Old people are so dehumanized globally (not just in care homes) that a lot of people are sadly saying things like "Hey, without the care homes it's looking good!". I know it's something that is thought globally, not just here. But it still hits hard. Like, even if we're in a situation where outside of the Great Montréal and Montérégie it's looking pretty good ... even if we end up reopening some things during the summer because "it's going well", we need to remind ourselves that it's not going well everywhere. Old people dropping like flies. Fucks me up.

The thing about it too is that people will look at things simplistically and won't try to understand what went wrong. The issue is not that care homes exist, it's how they're managed. It's the fact that there's not enough staff, because of the working conditions and salaries that suck. It's about an institution and a system that is broken and needs to be rebuilt. But all I see these days in threads talking about these horrible stories of old people dying are fucking Paladins of virtue that come and shame families into letting their loved ones into these centers. Fuck you if you ever did that btw

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Boy, am I glad I'm Punjabi. Not a ton of people in my community put their old folks in old folk homes, so we tend to just have multi-generational households.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Trudeau announced CESB for students who don't qualify for CERB (Canada Emergency Student Benefit):

1250 a month from May to August.
1750 a month for students with disabilities.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe the right wing of this country still tries to say the government is lying or keeps lying about this pandemic

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
its not so simple, context matters.

I have made the same complaints while I was at a grocery store about others, but because I see others shopping as a family, even bringing their toddlers, children, both parents etc The worst is when I see an entire family buying groceries and they have the grandparents with them...just why??

I can back this up, yeah.

I've been to the store exactly ONCE since this all began and an entire family of like 6 was standing nuts-to-butts in the door way of the Shoppers Drug Mart .

Frustrating.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Québec 12th in the world for deaths per million pop. We really let down our old people in the care homes! 850 of our deaths come from there! We're extremely lucky the virus isn't spread more in the community outside of Montréal and hasn't led to more critical care cases. Montréal is gonna get swarmed, hospitals are filling up (as per usual, at least ...).

I'm in Capitale-Nationale region and we're most likely going to be very ok. But holy fuck, this death ratio is insane. Old people are so dehumanized globally (not just in care homes) that a lot of people are sadly saying things like "Hey, without the care homes it's looking good!". I know it's something that is thought globally, not just here. But it still hits hard. Like, even if we're in a situation where outside of the Great Montréal and Montérégie it's looking pretty good ... even if we end up reopening some things during the summer because "it's going well", we need to remind ourselves that it's not going well everywhere. Old people dropping like flies. Fucks me up.

The thing about it too is that people will look at things simplistically and won't try to understand what went wrong. The issue is not that care homes exist, it's how they're managed. It's the fact that there's not enough staff, because of the working conditions and salaries that suck. It's about an institution and a system that is broken and needs to be rebuilt. But all I see these days in threads talking about these horrible stories of old people dying are fucking Paladins of virtue that come and shame families into letting their loved ones into these centers. Fuck you if you ever did that btw
As selfish as this sounds, I'm just massively relieved that my elderly loved ones are not in care homes but still autonomous enough to still be in their houses/apartments. :( My father being deathly ill is stressful beyond belief enough as it is, but at least he's still at home, and his SO is a nurse, so that's somewhat reassuring.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We really dropped the ball with care homes.

Samsara

Apr 3, 2020
Like, I can't say too much about politics.

And I know you can't let good be the enemy of perfect, and CERB rollout was done fast because it was needed fast.

But I certainly wish the criterias would stop changing every two seconds.

Samsara

Apr 3, 2020
I mean it's just expanding in stages right? Doesn't that make the most sense?

Oh it does. As I said, it had to be rolled out fast to get it going ASAP to the people who needed it.

Anybody who read my posts so far has probably surmised that I work with the CRA in a certain capacity.
From a professional standpoint, I dislike saying one thing one day, only for that thing to no longer be true the following day.

Generates a lot of confusion for my clients.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
As selfish as this sounds, I'm just massively relieved that my elderly loved ones are not in care homes but still autonomous enough to still be in their houses/apartments. :( My father being deathly ill is stressful beyond belief enough as it is, but at least he's still at home, and his SO is a nurse, so that's somewhat reassuring.

It's not selfish at all to be relieved your loved ones are ok. My grandma is in a CHSLD and she's ok, no COVID-19 threat where she is. And I'm really happy about it.

Doesn't mean we don't care others are dying :(

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Why not make it 2000/2500 like with everyone else?

Because it would prove the point that he should have given it to everyone? He's now looking at expending it once again but for seniors this time.
____

Comparing death between countries is kind of useless because countries like US and UK don't take into accounts long term care homes and senior residences in their tallies. Which is why it was big news that the UK death toll is in fact more about 40 000 than 17 000 like they are reporting.

Example :

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
Very disappointed with the student benefit...
Why is it less than CERB? It's not like rent, groceries, and other things are cheaper for students.
Also, it appears it doesn't count anyone who'll be graduating this semester, (myself included), so a bunch of folks are still left in the dark.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oh it does. As I said, it had to be rolled out fast to get it going ASAP to the people who needed it.

Anybody who read my posts so far has probably surmised that I work with the CRA in a certain capacity.
From a professional standpoint, I dislike saying one thing one day, only for that thing to no longer be true the following day.

Generates a lot of confusion for my clients.
I can see how that can be very frustrating. It is like in some jobs where you have multiple managers above you saying different things or changing things from one day to the next. It really does lead to confusion.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The minister just answered why, but basically because students have the ability to apply for loans and grants over the summer, as well as work for additional funds through programs like the summer student jobs or helping fight COVID-19 for another additional $1000-$5000.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Because it would prove the point that he should have given it to everyone? He's now looking at expending it once again but for seniors this time.
____

Comparing death between countries is kind of useless because countries like US and UK don't take into accounts long term care homes and senior residences in their tallies. Which is why it was big news that the UK death toll is in fact more about 40 000 than 17 000 like they are reporting.

Damn I had no idea

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Like, I can't say too much about politics.

And I know you can't let good be the enemy of perfect, and CERB rollout was done fast because it was needed fast.

But I certainly wish the criterias would stop changing every two seconds.
I understand where the government is coming from in not just implementing UBI, for example, as one giant catch all solution. Once that genie is out of the bottle it'll be tough to put it back in, or it may prove unwieldy and too expensive to continuously implement. There are limits to what is held in their coffers and how many tax dollars are sitting around to be given back out to people.

Starting with CERB for those who lost their jobs made sense. People who didn't lose their jobs probably hadn't really changed their expense to income ratio greatly on a grand scale. That doesn't mean that they weren't struggling before, but there wasn't a new strain placed on them. Likewise for folks on EI, OAS or pensions; if they have been surviving for months or years at their current income, then they don't suddenly need an extra $2000, even if it would make life easier.

Now for the CESB, this is intended for students who have been unemployed over the school year or were planning on getting a summer job after finishing high school etc. If they were already working and lost their job they would qualify for CERB, this is instead for those who weren't working and are now going to have trouble finding a job, so that they don't just not have money for the next four months before the next set of student loans kick in. Fir example, when I was in uni I didn't work over the school year. Once exams finished in mid to end April, I went and got a landscaping job for 4 months and then went back to school in September. Students like I was would now struggle to find that employment. And yeah, by March or so I was usually starting to run low on my student loans and was pinching pennies to get through the end of the school year, running up credit cards etc, but I deliberately wasn't working because I focused on school. Students in situations like I had are the kind of audience for the CESB.

It's not perfect, and I'm sure there's been a bunch of analysis on whether they could just implement a UBI of $1000 for every person over the age of 18 or whatever, and they instead arrived at this gradual rollout of various targeted programs as the better solution. For example, what about the 17 year old who moved out and is supporting themselves? They wouldn't be covered under that solution. Or you drop the barrier to everyone over 16, and now kids who had no expenses and lived at home with parents magically have new UBI money they didn't necessarily need because all their expenses are covered by parents. That's a "waste" of money that could have better been directed to someone who had their hours cut and now can't make ends meet.

What about folks who can work remotely and kept their jobs and have no impact? They don't suddenly NEED an extra $1000 every month(though I'm sure everyone would like it andcould use it to pay down debt or start building their savings). People who can get the wage subsidy from work and will be receiving their full salary and stay on payroll starting next week are in a similar situation, though I'm certain they have struggled over the last 4-6 weeks while the program hasn't been up. I have been working remotely this whole time at my regular salary. For the government to just implement a broad scale "everyone gets UBI of $1000" for example, instead of those who lost work getting $2000 through CERB, means I now have extra money I don't need (again, it would be great, but I don't NEED it) and those who lost work are only getting half of what they could because the money that could have gone to them is coming to me instead.

Its certainly not perfect, and yes there's gaps that they're trying to fill and patch up every day as new considerations are brought to light. But there is no way this is just an easy solution that can magically be fixed with one perfect benefit of UBI. There's always going to be cracks to fill and cases that don't fit the bounds of any given solution. Rolling these programs out piece by piece on various needs bases makes sense. It isn't perfect, but nothing was going to be.

Last edited:

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I am not eligible for CERB since I didn't make 5k last year, I'll take 1250 over nothing. It'll pay for my fall term.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Alright boys... staged re-opening at the latest next week in Quebec. Starting with school.

inb4 second wave.
Truly? That's real bad if so. Kids don't wash their hands, and there is no room for social distancing in a class room. And what happens when teachers start getting sick?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
On va réouvrir les écoles mais personne ne sera obligé d'y aller. LOL
Alright boys... staged re-opening at the latest next week in Quebec. Starting with school.

inb4 second wave.

I like how no one will be obliged to go to school according to Legault. It leads to some big issues and questions. My guess is that his fantabulous plan will be written on a napkin the day before the announcement.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Si fallait que je prenne une gorgée chaque fois que McCann dit "On va vérifier" je serais mort chaud ça fait des jours

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ford is talking about loosing restrictions; apparently the goal is 200 cases or less a day, then things can start slowly opening up.

In Toronto news, Tory is looking to extend the state of emergency. Says it won't be until June to ease restrictions for the city.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who takes public transportation, please please PLEASE keep schools closed.

Sincerely,
An essential worker

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Here is when we can open:

1) Everyone can get tested regularly.
2) We have an application or tracking mechanism to show proof that you got tested. Like you need to provide id for several things such as to prove age to buy alcohol, we're going to need an id system for proof of antibodies or been tested.
3) The 2 items above can't be opt-in, or even opt-out, they need to be mandatory for you to be able to enter any building.

Those 3 things won't happen here, so it'll be off and on until vaccine.

And even vaccine I worry about as I think you'll have an anti-vaccine movement in western society as we're full of idiots and civil liberties that protect idiots to be idiots.

One of the few times that being in a more restrictive/authoritarian society is better.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Truly? That's real bad if so. Kids don't wash their hands, and there is no room for social distancing in a class room. And what happens when teachers start getting sick?
On va réouvrir les écoles mais personne ne sera obligé d'y aller. LOL

I like how no one will be obliged to go to school according to Legault. It leads to some big issues and questions. My guess is that his fantabulous plan will be written on a napkin the day before the announcement.
Information about re-opening next week, schools outside of Montreal/Laval to open before the end of June and attendance will be optional
See below...:
There's going to be an announcement regarding that next week. School is not going to start next week.
And, yes, attendance is optional.

I posted this way too quick, frustrated.

EDIT: TVAnouvelles article:
www.tvanouvelles.ca

Le retour à l’école ne sera pas obligatoire

Le premier ministre François Legault fait le point sur la pandémie de COVID-19 dans la province lors de sa mise à jour quotidienne.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can't remember at which presser Theresa Tam said this, but in the early stages of this last month she mentioned we shouldn't be thinking about going back to some sort of normalcy until we've had 21 straight days of no new cases. So to hear the premiers of Quebec and Ontario talk about opening back up to me seems like they're signalling which casualties are acceptable.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Quebec reopening schools would be the dumbest decision imaginable and its going to be responsible for killing countless people.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Here is when we can open:

1) Everyone can get tested regularly.
2) We have an application or tracking mechanism to show proof that you got tested. Like you need to provide id for several things such as to prove age to buy alcohol, we're going to need an id system for proof of antibodies or been tested.
3) The 2 items above can't be opt-in, or even opt-out, they need to be mandatory for you to be able to enter any building.

Those 3 things won't happen here, so it'll be off and on until vaccine.

And even vaccine I worry about as I think you'll have an anti-vaccine movement in western society as we're full of idiots and civil liberties that protect idiots to be idiots.

One of the few times that being in a more restrictive/authoritarian society is better.

Agree with all this. I'm worried a lot of people's fragile mental health state is pinned on normality resuming by May/June.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
No it won't.

What are the conditions for you to think that reopening schools is a good idea?

Call this year a wash and prep a plan to reopen in September at the earliest and not a day before then. This virus is not just going to be one wave, there's going to be a second and possibly a third.

Saying it's optional for kids to go back to school is all well and good, even if it's a stupid plan, but you are putting a bunch of teachers and support staff at risk by doing this, because it won't be optional for them, especially if they aren't permanent staff.

If one person dies through the school system as a result of this stupid decision to open before September, that death needs to be owned by Legault, cause it will be be 100% on his hands. They are also making this announcement without talking to teacher groups and unions, because they are getting calls as this conference is going on asking what is happening.

The way this province does things is completely stupid at times, and I fully believe this is one of those times.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec reopening schools would be the dumbest decision imaginable and its going to be responsible for killing countless people.
The vast vast vast majority of issues in Quebec are Montreal and outlier areas, they are talking about end of June for the other regins, I think the logic being wtf happens if you have a million kids in isolation that all go back to school at the same time in sept.

A vaccine is optimistically 18-24 months away

Last edited:

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
There have been a number of studies saying that kids haven't been proven to be vectors for spreading infection. The bigger risk is actually teachers congregating.

I'm not saying this isn't a dumb move but a lot of the fear around schools hasn't been proven in the data. It obviously can be a case of poor testing leading to poor decisions.

It will be impossible to keep kids out of school until a vaccine is available.

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
Call this year a wash and prep a plan to reopen in September at the earliest and not a day before then. This virus is not just going to be one wave, there's going to be a second and possibly a third.

Saying it's optional for kids to go back to school is all well and good, even if it's a stupid plan, but you are putting a bunch of teachers and support staff at risk by doing this, because it won't be optional for them, especially if they aren't permanent staff.

If one person dies through the school system as a result of this stupid decision to open before September, that death needs to be owned by Legault, cause it will be be 100% on his hands. They are also making this announcement without talking to teacher groups and unions, because they are getting calls as this conference is going on asking what is happening.

The way this province does things is completely stupid at times, and I fully believe this is one of those times.

How is having the 2nd wave in September any better than having it in mid-May for the less affected regions? I don't expect the Greater Montreal Area will see school before mid-June.

I don't understand you guys, you seem to want to close everything down until the virus disappears like SARS. That is not feasible. This is like EpB or AIDS, no vaccine is coming.