• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, isn't that the general consensus already? It would be impossible to keep up any kind of tracing if there was international travel.

True. Just hit home as I have an elderly grandparent living in Europe and am freaked out at how difficult/impossible it would be for me to get back there if anything were to happen

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
True. Just hit home as I have an elderly grandparent living in Europe and am freaked out at how difficult/impossible it would be for me to get back there if anything were to happen

That's fair, and I'm sorry to hear that :( My family who lives abroad probably feels similarly as the elderly grandpa of the family is here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish we had epidemiologists actually analyzing the data and sharing insights with the public. These numbers and curve require interpretation that most people presenting these curves don't have the knowledge for unfortunately. Yesterday the economic columnist in La Presse was doing his own interpretation of the data and it was kind of awful.
What do you mean? Era is full of epidemiologists telling people what's right or wrong lmao.

MathLx

Oct 27, 2017
A must read

montrealgazette.com

Records reveal chaos in the days before staff abandoned the Herron

Death records from the long-term care residence offer a version of events that challenge both the premier and health minister on the COVID-19 deaths.

Just a snippet of the horrifying conditions, insane that this could happen at all much less at a private institution where rents were up to 10k a month

I just want to take some time to talk about this. Yes, this situation is absolutely terrible. However, I am thankful that those 2 people stayed to work there.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
Looking for some suggestions on where I can order some inexpensive cloth face masks, preferably from within Canada and from a socially responsible company/maker. Thanks.

Haven't come across any in stock unfortunately, but if you want to make your own here's 3 suggestions from the CDC
I've been doing the bandana method for when I go out.

www.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Your Health

Symptoms, testing, what to do if sick, daily activities, and more.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I filed my EI report that covers the 5th up till tomorrow. I guess we'll see if I get my next CERB deposit next week or not.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm curious what Henry's recommendations will be for opening BC up slowly. We've been very fortunate over here and I'd hate for that to come undone.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Some parts of BC are disproportionately more impacted than others. I wonder if as BC starts to ease off the restrictions a bit whether recommendations to not travel much within BC will remain. Cases in Northern BC and the Island are substantially lower than elsewhere.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
BC numbers:

+43 new cases
+0 new deaths 🎉 (first day without a death since March 26)
-119 hospitalized
-52 in ICU
-there are now 63 cases associated with Mission Institute correctional centre, 6 are in the hospital

Of our 1618 cases, 966 are deemed recovered.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
BC numbers:

+43 new cases
+0 new deaths 🎉 (first day without a death since March 26)
-119 hospitalized
-52 in ICU
-there are now 63 cases associated with Mission Institute correctional centre, 6 are in the hospital

Of our 1618 cases, 966 are deemed recovered.

But based on how many test? Low number due to low test isn't exactly anything to celebrate for.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring Staff Post; Posting Conspiratorial Content
so..........

Mod Edit: Conspiratorial content removed

Last edited by a moderator:

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Was out walking and saw a guy in the park doing arm curls with a city of Vancouver crowd control barrier - times are tough

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Goddamn I love my landlord. Was just talking to him about something unrelated (he was checking up on me) and he told me to just not worry about rent for the next two months. I told him I could still pay rent just fine and he was like "that's great, so save up if some weird shit goes down. Seriously, just not accepting rent for you for the next two months."

Like damn.

Mar 3, 2018
Goddamn I love my landlord. Was just talking to him about something unrelated (he was checking up on me) and he told me to just not worry about rent for the next two months. I told him I could still pay rent just fine and he was like "that's great, so save up if some weird shit goes down. Seriously, just not accepting rent for you for the next two months."

Like damn.

awww that is so sweet

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017

Like damn.
Damn....
Wish my land lord is half as nice as yours....

MathLx

Oct 27, 2017

I've had the same reaction.

Seems like in Quebec numbers are stable and low except for the whole "CSHLD" (long term care centers) situation. I'm really tired of people going "oh it's Quebec (and Ontario) not following guidelines lel". People need to cut that crap out.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't trust myself with a clipper. But if things start getting desperate, I may reconsider.

Definitely consider it! I got a clipper a week ago and finally cut off my (very long) hair last weekend. It went surprisingly great, like not quite barber quality (some stray long hairs and the fade isn't as clean as it could be I think) but surprisingly decent-looking. I followed this guy's tutorial videos:

If I can cut my own hair and get a decent cut on my first try, I bet almost anyone can.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
No deaths in BC! Such awesome news.

Unfortunately though I've just been looking out from my building and I see a lot more cars on W Georgia over the last day and people walking around downtown - so I think people are starting to break physical distancing.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting note from Bonnie Henry's projections today. She doesn't think non-essential international travel will be realistic for 12-18 months
which would mean bankruptcy of all charters(transat,sunwing and co), half or more of the remaining airlines bigger hotels everywhere (b and b should be ok with local tourism). but yes its possible i have a hard time seeing any short term tourism (1-2 weeks of vacation) possible . we can possibly think about long term (1month or more with quarantine being allowed) . however I see one possibility to allow tourism, quick reliable covid tests taken before flying at the airport (like 15 minutes one I read on major news sites that emirates have been starting doing that 2 days ago) I m sure if its what it takes to put the economy back on trail huge efforts will be made to allow that. the 12-18 month schedule is horrific , not for people being denied their yearly winter vacation but for the countries who rely on tourism for huge part of their economy like the carribean. Major poverty and probably famine .

Last edited:

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No deaths in BC! Such awesome news.

Unfortunately though I've just been looking out from my building and I see a lot more cars on W Georgia over the last day and people walking around downtown - so I think people are starting to break physical distancing.
I've noticed the same thing. It's gonna set us back.

But I can get the appeal. I'm beginning to fray myself. I've been doing social distancing for more than a month and it's so mentally taxing

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
which would mean bankruptcy of all charters(transat,sunwing and co), half or more of the remaining airlines bigger hotels everywhere (b and b should be ok with local tourism). but yes its possible i have a hard time seeing any short term tourism (1-2 weeks of vacation) possible . we can possibly think about long term (1month or more with quarantine being allowed, I read somewhere qatari or emirates have been starting doing that) . however I see one possibility to allow tourism, quick reliable covid tests taken before flying at the airport (like 15 minutes one) I m sure if its what it takes to put the economy back on trail huge efforts will be made to allow that. the 12-18 month schedule is horrific , not for people being denied their yearly winter vacation but for the countries who rely on tourism for huge part of their economy like the carribean. Major poverty and probably famine .

I would think insurance companies won't be too hot on you going abroad and catching COVID in another country as healthcare cost can be exorbitant abroad. It's one reason why many snowbirds had to come back as they don't want to pay for your hospitalization abroad.

I also wonder how people are going to be financially when travel finally open again.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
I would think insurance companies won't be too hot on you going abroad and catching COVID in another country as healthcare cost can be exorbitant abroad. It's one reason why many snowbirds had to come back as they don't want to pay for your hospitalization abroad.

I also wonder how people are going to be financially when travel finally open again.
yup my employee travel insurance has been amended to remove covid coverage so thats a very good point. i would not travel to the states for sure . Honestly don't know how to deal with that point. So many factors to think of

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe those charters can fly domestically? I've only been to 2 provinces...but part of that is the high domestic air fare.....
there is already over capacity with aircan westjet and porter on most destinations, can't seen them succeeding with their fleet of b737 or airbus 340 to be cost competitive especially with less travelers than usual in domestic too. would love to be wrong my job depend on it, I need planes in the air to keep it. I also need planes in the air and some border open (even with restrictions) to be able to go see my girlfriend . Can't imagine not seeing her for a year or more

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
My concern with BC's reporting is the number of tests that are being done daily.

It was mentioned above that BC is doing roughly 1,000 tests daily, and from that they are reporting 43 new cases in the last 24 hours.

Meanwhile Alberta performed 3,800 tests in the last 24 hours, and is reporting 239 cases.

I want to believe that BC is getting over the bump, but I'm concerned that the number of tests is skewing the results.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
My concern with BC's reporting is the number of tests that are being done daily.

It was mentioned above that BC is doing roughly 1,000 tests daily, and from that they are reporting 43 new cases in the last 24 hours.

Meanwhile Alberta performed 3,800 tests in the last 24 hours, and is reporting 239 cases.

I want to believe that BC is getting over the bump, but I'm concerned that the number of tests is skewing the results.

Yeah, Alberta's numbers havent been much different than BC until very recently. Alberta is now testing everyone with symptoms

BC isn't "killing it". Their health service badly needs to expand testing criteria.