• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That fucking idiot isn't going to get away with this if people die in those facilities.

20 euros for a mask? And they won't be sent out till mid May? Guess I'll have to find the materials I'm missing to make masks of my own at home then.

Oh yeah, tons of these fashion companies have begun turning their fabric cast-offs into masks and fashion pieces and it's pretty ridiculous how much costs have spiked and what people are charging.

I like this design tho, plus it's reusable and I can put filters in. Psychologically, makes me feel "slightly" more safe.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you can drive a truck through the gaps.... just fucking give money monthly to everyone and be done with it.... no roating log in system, no nothing just automatic deposit in Canadians' accounts, and those who are rich, pay it back later in taxes

I don't think there's a mechanism to just give it to "everyone" to my understanding.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
How are people obtaining masks at this point? I'm missing a few items for the DIY versions and it seems like masks are sold out everywhere I look.
I luckily was given a couple of homemade cotton masks with a pocket for a filter from the fashion's teacher that works at my school. She hopes to make more. I am glad because I can't sow worth my life.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you can drive a truck through the gaps.... just fucking give money monthly to everyone and be done with it.... no roating log in system, no nothing just automatic deposit in Canadians' accounts, and those who are rich, pay it back later in taxes
That's a big nope for me. People are very irresponsible with money, even the rich. They'll just all drive themselves into huge debts.
We're already hearing stories about how people who shouldn't get CERB are applying because "free money". I bet they'll whine, complain and make excuses when it comes time to actually pay any of it back.
I agree there should be UBI, but it can't be given out carte-blanche.

Also, while I understand some of the situations some people are in... The "students who weren't working" don't really have any room to complain because they weren't even scheduled to finish their school term yet. Meaning they weren't even going to work or try to get any money until June at the earliest. Maybe once June hits, and then you still can't find a job, you'll have a reason to complain. Until then, you guys are just also just complaining about "free money".

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That's a big nope for me. People are very irresponsible with money, even the rich. They'll just all drive themselves into huge debts.
We're already hearing stories about how people who shouldn't get CERB are applying because "free money". I bet they'll whine, complain and make excuses when it comes time to actually pay any of it back.

Also, while I understand some of the situations some people are in... The "students who weren't working" don't really have any room to complain because they weren't even scheduled to finish their school term yet. Meaning they weren't even going to work or try to get any money until June at the earliest. Maybe once June hits, and then you still can't find a job, you'll have a reason to complain. Until then, you guys are just also just complaining about "free money".

You're right, some people suck, so wee should fuck over people in need to punish the few who suck.

Brah UBI literally is carte blacnhe... that's why it's called Universal.

Question do you have strong feelings about "Welfare Queens"?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's in vogue to hate the NDP here, but Singh's point that "returning to normal" is a fiction when it's clear that a century of neoliberal policies has basically been exposed as a house of cards is to spot on.

May made that point too.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Jesus, there's been 31 deaths at the Herron CHSLD since march 13th. 5 of those are confirmed COVID-19 deaths. Same owner has 3 other residences. All private residences will be thoroughly investigated. An investigation helmed by the SPVM Major Crimes unit.

Follows the fucking trend in private retirement homes. These places only work when everyone is in perfect health and in perfect condition. They don't give a shit about complications or complicated cases. So of course when an outbreak occurs, it's going to be a mess. No way this can stay like this. Privatizing old people care must stop. Fucking paying between 4 and 10k a month to be left in your own shit to die.

Apr 24, 2018

How exactly is the EI i pay into free money?

This is some take....

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, there's been 31 deaths at the Herron CHSLD since march 13th. 5 of those are confirmed COVID-19 deaths. Same owner has 3 other residences. All private residences will be thoroughly investigated.

Follows the fucking trend in private retirement homes. These places only work when everyone is in perfect health and in perfect condition. They don't give a shit about complications or complicated cases. So of course when an outbreak occurs, it's going to be a mess. No way this can stay like this. Privatizing old people care must stop. Fucking paying between 4 and 10k a month to be left in your own shit to die.

Even in the best of times I've never really heard of any good these facilities do. There should be investigations.

===========
I agree with the this sentiment and directly applies to Canadian Media and their bloodlust of obtaining federal models. The discussion is not useful by forcing government to spit out numbers.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
WQMFFWW.png

This is such a bizarre looking press conference. -- Like something out of this hour has 22 minutes

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Even in the best of times I've never really heard of any good these facilities do. There should be investigations.

We placed my grandmother last year. My grandfather being really well-off financially, and our family was swayed by a private home to send my grandmother to. It cost my granddad a LOT of money. First night she was in, she gave trouble to the nurse because of some pills she didn't want to take. They ended up calling the ambulance sending her to the hospital and saying that she can't live there anymore.

We eventually sent her to a public CHSLD really close to where my grandfather lives, and she's getting tremendous care.

I'm sorry for this blanket statement, but these situations + my personal anecdotal story leads me to say fuck private homes. Public system isn't perfect, and there are issues. But Jesus fucking Christ do you really want to trust private interests in cases like these? ESPECIALLY in a crisis time.

EDIT: Sorry I used your post as a bounce to tell a personal story. I'm angry :(

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh at the article on CBC speculating about what BC does next seeing as our number look
Pretty good compared to most other places. Especially the "transport childcare and education" sectors being looked at as areas to start opening again. I hope level heads prevail because the amount of kids my wife and I deal with at school who come to school sick during normal times is insane. Between parents forcing them to go (for both legitimate and pathetic reasons) and kids "being bored and missing their friends", it'll be such a shit show if they start sending us back too soon.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
He got a shirt from a some volunteer group and promised to wear it during the conference.

Ford is becoming a human being. lol

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
QC cases now at
12 292 cases (+615)
289 deaths (+41)
778 hospitalized
211 ICU patients

So much for the light at the end of the tunnel :/

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's in vogue to hate the NDP here, but Singh's point that "returning to normal" is a fiction when it's clear that a century of neoliberal policies has basically been exposed as a house of cards is to spot on.

May made that point too.

Given that Bernie bombed hard I guess most people are OK with it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh at the article on CBC speculating about what BC does next seeing as our number look
Pretty good compared to most other places. Especially the "transport childcare and education" sectors being looked at as areas to start opening again. I hope level heads prevail because the amount of kids my wife and I deal with at school who come to school sick during normal times is insane. Between parents forcing them to go (for both legitimate and pathetic reasons) and kids "being bored and missing their friends", it'll be such a shit show if they start sending us back too soon.

Ugh no. Not yet. We should just keep schools closed to the end of the academic year. And transport needs to be kept socially distant.

Besides. I think we have to at least wait these next two weeks now, what with all the idiots travelling this weekend. Apparently ferries were full. Who knows what happens with that.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Sacré François Legault haha

Schoolboards oversee elementary and high schools BTW. No nursing, inhalo, medical imaging or paramedic teachers in there.

They sure are penny pinching on that front.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is much more and much worse than an accused racist though.
I don't want to derail this thread with American politics. lol

But back on topic, given the people here who are fucked by the CERB means testing, in addition to the countless people across the country who have posted on social media and elsewhere, we at least have anecdotal evidence that even trying to apply old philosophies to the government response to an economic crisis doesn't work either.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like the main thrust of the article, as with most of Justin McElroy's work during this, has been that we're very lucky to be where we are and that we can't even begin to estimate when the next phase begins until we have significantly increased testing capacity. Although I do agree the optics of posting the article after a week-ish of slow spread is a little bad and frustrating.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Being in the upper-middle class, I'd rather have the payments be means tested in the other direction -- as in, exclude people who are earning above 50k or something. Set it up like the GST rebate.

If the government gives money to our tax bracket, we wouldn't even use it and it wouldn't be beneficial to us anyway.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Being in the upper-middle class, I'd rather have the payments be means tested in the other direction -- as in, exclude people who are earning above 50k or something. Set it up like the GST rebate.

If the government gives money to our tax bracket, we wouldn't even use it and it wouldn't be beneficial to us anyway.

Agreed, I have no use for anything extra as I'm thankfully still employed and able to work from home, lets ensure those who need it most get it somehow.

Mar 3, 2018
parents of the kids that come to my daycare are getting so antsy. I got some more messages from them today saying "they still havent announced a delay. are you opening Monday?""

Their last minute announcements is making lot of people have anxiety

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why UBI doesn't just replace EI, OAS and welfare etc.

If the government gives money to our tax bracket, we wouldn't even use it and it wouldn't be beneficial to us anyway

You could presumably stick it in a savings/investment account and return it a year later and keep the interest or something.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

Same. I don't need anything right now, I'm thankful to still be working, etc. I'm donating to some places that I find who have set up requests.

This is still hard though because if it's contingent on income, then how do they figure it out if someone doesn't pay taxes?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So the OPCs are attempting to downplay how disproportionately CO-VID 19 has/is affecting marginalized people and visible minorities:

Mar 3, 2018
oh, I guess they did delay things two more weeks, weird how i missed this during the press conference, maybe i spaced out

toronto.citynews.ca

Province extends COVID-19 emergency orders until April 23

The Ford government has extended all emergency orders put in place under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act until April 23. The declaration, which was first put in place back on March 17, extends the closure of outdoor amenities in parks and recreational areas, non-essential...

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the main thrust of the article, as with most of Justin McElroy's work during this, has been that we're very lucky to be where we are and that we can't even begin to estimate when the next phase begins until we have significantly increased testing capacity. Although I do agree the optics of posting the article after a week-ish of slow spread is a little bad and frustrating.

not criticizing his writing, just sighing at the idea we'll start opening up soon or talking about it so soon? I'm hearing from families of kids I teach that there is a lot of lent up frustration, which is understandable for sure, that people want to be working or just not to have their kids cooped up at home.if you leave it up to people I think they'll do what's better for them, financially or for their sanity, so I'm hoping the government continues to be firm as I really don't want to have to send my kid back to daycare so I can babysit teenagers for a few weeks before summer. But I also get that I'm in a better position as I'm getting a paycheque for another three months (until im laid off as well).

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Leeness
BC today is 35 new cases and 3 new deaths. As Dr Henry says, let us be calm and be kind to one another. Stay home and stay safe!

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone think CERB is extremely stupid? I know some people will just make up some self employment income to make themselves qualified for free $2000. Meanwhile those who stay at their supermarket job got nothing except increase exposure.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017

The school term ends this month for university students. Summer job season starts in May.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone think CERB is extremely stupid? I know some people will just make up some self employment income to make themselves qualified for free $2000. Meanwhile those who stay at their supermarket job got nothing except increase exposure.

Yup it's a pretty bad deal (right now) for people who have to continue working minimum wage jobs

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes it's stupid but it placates the most vocal, those without shit to do.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017

I kind of feel the smart and fast thing to do is basically UBI blanket giver everybody who CRA has income tax record. Then when we do tax return next year, those with like 50k+ income in 2020 will just get that amount clawed back. I think it's the fastest and efficient way to give everybody help.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. And we would have to pay back 8k at least by tax time next year. It would be a fucking shit show.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I ordered some KN95s from China for donations and for my employees, ordered some from Swaddle Designs for my employees as a reusable thing, and I pre-ordered a few of these from Closca: https://closca.com/products/closca-mask

Fucking love that design. It's ingenious. I wear a turban, so putting on masks with ear loops and shit over my beard and under my turban is such an annoying hassle. Would rather have a reusable one and this velcro one is good.

But in terms of what's available? Nada, can't find anything. My friend is sewing masks for people in her apartment haha
Those are some good looking mask but 15 euro for shipping and 20 euro for 5 pcs of masks. I don't know but I'm kinda tempted. Too bad that it will be shipped by May tho