• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who did you vote for?

• Liberals (Trudeau)

Votes: 282 52.6%
  • NDP (Singh)

Votes: 224 41.8%
  • Bloc Québécois (Blanchet)

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Conservatives (O'Toole)

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Greens (Paul)

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • People's Party (Bernier)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is my greatest fear with Kitchener Centre likely swinging Green. Yeah, Morrice will likely do a competent job representing the region on committees but the incumbency effect could literally rob me of any agency in determining the prime minister of this country (or helping to prop up a progressive NDP opposition) for the next 20+ years.
It's the Green Party, there's still plenty of time for them to shit the bed one more time before Paul is forced out and lose another MP for no good reason. Never mind what might happen with her replacement.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's the Green Party, there's still plenty of time for them to shit the bed one more time before Paul is forced out and lose another MP for no good reason. Never mind what might happen with her replacement.
I mean Paul is going to irrelevant tomorrow because there's no way she wins her seat.

The funny thing would be if May, as the only one left, basically has to take on the leadership again. But I honestly have no idea what the Green machinery would be thinking right now.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean Paul is going to irrelevant tomorrow because there's no way she wins her seat.

The funny thing would be if May, as the only one left, basically has to take on the leadership again. But I honestly have no idea what the Green machinery would be thinking right now.
They're thinking that they need enough money to last until November or so, when their General Meeting was rescheduled for (postponed due to the election call). A LOT of hash is going to be settled there.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
User threadbanned (1 day): hostility
There are no wasted votes when you vote your conscience and what you believe in.

Voting your conscience is -by definition- wasting your vote. Arguably it's the only guaranteed way to do so. The vote does not care about your conscience. The ONLY thing that matters in an election, is who holds power after it is over. You either vote in such a way as to ensure the best outcome or you don't.

If your vote helps keep the Con/PPC out, you did right.
if it does anything else instead, the vote was wasted. You don't get extra good boy points for voting for someone who has no chance of winning and helping the bad guys win instead. In fact is kindof makes you a dick because you are prioritizing your ego over the well being of others.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Voting your conscience is -by definition- wasting your vote. Arguably it's the only guaranteed way to do so. The vote does not care about your conscience. The ONLY thing that matters in an election, is who holds power after it is over. You either vote in such a way as to ensure the best outcome or you don't.

if it does anything else instead, the vote was wasted. You don't get extra good boy points for voting for someone who has no chance of winning and helping the bad guys win instead. In fact is kindof makes you a dick because you are prioritizing your ego over the well being of others.

Actually, if we go by that logic, if your candidate didn't win by exactly 1 vote then your single vote is wasted as it didn't make a difference. So maybe your take is just bad?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They're thinking that they need enough money to last until November or so, when their General Meeting was rescheduled for (postponed due to the election call). A LOT of hash is going to be settled there.
At least with the CPC dumpster fire, you'll eventually become the leader of Canada eventually. 10 years of a single party rule is going to turn into malaise, like it does anywhere. With the Greens, it's like inheriting a house from a distant family member that requires much more money to fix and sell than the house is actually worth. lol

Someone here who is Indigenous pointed out that voting CPC or Liberal is akin to voting for continued colonial oppression, so yes, there are people where it's not "the lesser of two evils" but an actual existential question and where it matters that they don't vote for one of the two default parties.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

First of all, your tone seems very hostile and you should maybe chill. Second of all, no, "if you vote for a candidate who won't win, you're wasting your vote" is a horrible take. I can understand people advocating for ABC strategic voting even if I don't agree with it, but to say that it's the morally right thing to do is absurd.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Actually, if we go by that logic, if your candidate didn't win by exactly 1 vote then your single vote is wasted as it didn't make a difference. So maybe your take is just bad?

And since we have no way to tell how much candidates win or lose by, any 1 vote could be the one that makes the difference.

'Voting my conscience' is just a fancy way for privileged people who won't be affected by a bad government, to pat themselves on the back for putting others at risk. It's accellerationist garbage at BEST, thinly veiled hostility at the groups you KNOW a conservative government will target at worst.

The cons held power for a decade with less than 40% of the popular vote. You think they gave a shit that a portion of the electorate valued warm fuzzies over defeating them?

This shit isn't a game. People's lives are literally at risk here. You are either doing everything you can to ensure the highest probability that the bad guys don't win, or you are helping them.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

Lmao fuck that

People should actually be voting for the change they want to see or nothing is going to get better in this country. Telling people to vote for stagnation over regression and that no other choice matters is just going to make an already apathetic electorate even worse.

And since we have no way to tell how much candidates win or lose by, any 1 vote could be the one that makes the difference.

'Voting my conscience' is just a fancy way for privileged people who won't be affected by a bad government, to pat themselves on the back for putting others at risk. It's accellerationist garbage at BEST, thinly veiled hostility at the groups you KNOW a conservative government will target at worst.

The cons held power for a decade with less than 40% of the popular vote. You think they gave a shit that a portion of the electorate valued warm fuzzies over defeating them?

This shit isn't a game. People's lives are literally at risk here. You are either doing everything you can to ensure the highest probability that the bad guys don't win, or you are helping them.

Yeah, people's lives are at risk here. So why the hell should I vote for a party that won't do enough to address wealth inequality or the opioid epidemic? If the Liberals are guaranteed the Left's vote, they will be taken for granted and enough won't be done to earn their votes. We see the same shit in the States.

Last edited:

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018

Showing your support to a party isn't "wasting" your vote. Votes don't only count if the candidate you voted for wins. It's important to vote for who you align with as a means of showing them you believe in their values.

That being said, if you're in a swing riding, voting strategically is important. My riding has been Liberal since the 90s and isn't going to change now so I can vote for whoever I want.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Just voted NDP here in Regina. My riding actually has a chance to flip from Conservative- > NDP this time so it will be exciting to see how things go.
Such a rare, nice thing to actually live in a riding where you feel your vote "matters" and could potentially genuinely shift the outcome.

So much of us are locked into "safe" ridings that haven't changed hands in decades and thanks to FPTP any vote contrary to the incumbent is effectively tossed in the trash.

This is a core reason to shift to PR, in that every vote does go toward ensuring that viewpoint is represented.

The "drama" ridings that could change hands nearest to me that I'll be watching are Vancouver Granville and Burnaby Seymour.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
That being said, if you're in a swing riding, voting strategically is important. My riding has been Liberal since the 90s and isn't going to change now so I can vote for whoever I want.

Lucky you. And as long as nothing unexpected happens you are 100% right. History would suggest that your position is very safe bet. Not everyone has such good odds. And even with the best odds, sometimes the crazy unexpacted things happen. The odds of a failed reality tv show host becoming the most powerful person in the world because despite losing by 4 millions votes he got 40 thousand more votes in exactly the right places was also crazy unlikely.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just voted. Nice to see lots of young people voting there today. However it is Calgary so I have little faith.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Went to vote. Went smoothly, except for one guy who came up to the voting booth next to mine right as I was handing my vote saying "Can I still vote even though I have Covid? I REFUSE TO GIVE INTO FEAR!"

Jesus christ. I got the hell out of there. Thankfully I was masked and am fully vaccinated, but fuuuuuck.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Went to vote. Went smoothly, except for one guy who came up to the voting booth next to mine right as I was handing my vote saying "Can I still vote even though I have Covid? I REFUSE TO GIVE INTO FEAR!"

Jesus christ. I got the hell out of there. Thankfully I was masked and am fully vaccinated, but fuuuuuck.
He was probably joking in his mind. I have lots of customers who "joke" about the same thing and do the fake cough.

Let me guess, you are in Alberta?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
He was probably joking in his mind. I have lots of customers who "joke" about the same thing and do the fake cough.

Let me guess, you are in Alberta?
Nope, QC. I really hope he was joking. Lots of older people were around and while they're statistically likely to be vaccinated, it's still pretty scary with Delta around. Caused a bit of a commotion, though I didn't get to see how things ended since I noped out quickly.

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018
Lucky you. And as long as nothing unexpected happens you are 100% right. History would suggest that your position is very safe bet. Not everyone has such good odds. And even with the best odds, sometimes the crazy unexpacted things happen. The odds of a failed reality tv show host becoming the most powerful person in the world because despite losing by 4 millions votes he got 40 thousand more votes in exactly the right places was also crazy unlikely.

Right, which is exactly what I said. If you live somewhere where strategic voting isn't important, you should vote how you want. In reality, you should always vote how you want, unless the risk of someone you don't like winning is too great.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a second question from my previous one quoted below. My partner also moved with me, but they don't have their voting card. Is it still sufficient for them just to bring the lease? They need proof of citizenship like a drivers license and provincial ID?
I moved super recently. I have my voting card but it's not for my riding. My drivers license doesn't say my new address either. How do I vote?

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017

Election margins matter and in whose favor the margins are, MPs in close ridings who have to win over votes will change their positions to win over other parties voters.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
NDP voters in a competitive Liberal / Conservative ridings frustrate me. You're just cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't think there's a better example of that.

Nov 11, 2017
Who voted for PPC? I can at least understand Conservative, but PPC!?

giphy.gif

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

In our modern liberal democracies, voting is one of the few levers of power people have. Which is to say, you don't get to tell people how to exercise their vote.

It is interesting how "strategic voting" basically almost always means "vote for the liberals". And I'm not even talking just about this election, but in 2011 when the same old usual suspects were trying to convince everyone that only voting for Ignatieff's liberals would stop the conservatives.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have a second question from my previous one quoted below. My partner also moved with me, but they don't have their voting card. Is it still sufficient for them just to bring the lease? They need proof of citizenship like a drivers license and provincial ID?

If you don't have a voting card you need a photo ID and proof of address. So a drivers liscence and bill to your address with your name on it would work fine

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
NDP voters in a competitive Liberal / Conservative ridings frustrate me. You're just cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't think there's a better example of that.

Nah, I believe in strong multi-party system. Even if it's just by popular vote, I gotta show support for it, and support for their ideas.

If a CPC majority was a possibility, I might have second thoughts though. Seems incredibly unlikely this time.

OP
OP
CitizenVectron
Oct 27, 2017

And it goes both ways. West of Ontario, there are probably far more NDP-CON ridings than LIB-CON, and many of them would swing NDP if the LPC voters would strategically vote. I live in one of them (Regina Lewvan).

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Proof of id and address (list in the link):

You can also update your voter info at the assigned polling station for your new address (details in the link):

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
And it goes both ways. West of Ontario, there are probably far more NDP-CON ridings than LIB-CON, and many of them would swing NDP if the LPC voters would strategically vote. I live in one of them (Regina Lewvan).

Correct and agreed. Its ABC strategic voting. You should know your ridings current polling and be voting based on that.

Nah, I believe in strong multi-party system. Even if it's just by popular vote, I gotta show support for it, and support for their ideas.

If a CPC majority was a possibility, I might have second thoughts though. Seems incredibly unlikely this time.

And this is how we get the chance at a conservative minority (which if close to 140, they would just govern via BQ by doing their awful shit but giving things to Quebec). This exact way of thinking.