• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa is proposing new policy changes – with monetary penalties — to ensure online streaming platforms experiencing booming revenues face as stringent rules as traditional broadcasters.

The regulations put forth by the Liberal government today in a new bill focus on clarifying that online streaming platforms like Netflix and Spotify will fall under the Broadcasting Act through a new category called online undertakings.

The bill also proposes giving the CRTC new powers to require broadcasters and online streaming companies make financial contributions to support Canadian music, stories, creators and producers.

A government briefing note says if the CRTC applies the same requirements around Canadian content to traditional broadcaster and streamers, online platforms could contribute as much as $830 million in Canadian content by 2023.

The briefing note says the bill could result in the government asking the CRTC to look at which online broadcasters should be regulated and determine whether it is a good idea to give additional regulatory credits to broadcasters producing works about Indigenous peoples, racial communities or in French.

The briefing note says the CRTC may also be ordered to look into what qualifies as Canadian content and whether that definition takes into account ta credits or intellectual property.

globalnews.ca

Liberals propose new rules for streaming platforms like Netflix, Spotify - National | Globalnews.ca

New requirements could raise as much as $830 million for Canadian content from web giants by 2023, the government said.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is the dumbest thing they could do is instead of reforming CRTC. Prof Michael Geist has many article on this subject. I feel like the Liberal are really out of touch with this one. And add the vapour type disappearing promise that was the 25% less fees from telecom companies, I believe Liberals are too dependent on telecom donations.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
This is completely because of lobbying. Fuck Corus and other Canadian media companies for pulling this shit.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Netflix already met this, hence why they produce so much in Canada.

I think they are still adding. They just locked in Vancouver long term as one of their three international production hubs.

And in addition to this news, there is also the potential Tech Tax that Canada and other countries like France are looking at. If you make profit off of business revenues from local citizens, then they should be taxed for it.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate our media cartel. Whiny ass losers. Fuck off. On a side note, Crave has got to be the absolute shittiest streaming app in existence. Maybe you should fix your shit app Bell, before you go cry about Netflix.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is the dumbest thing they could do is instead of reforming CRTC. Prof Michael Geist has many article on this subject. I feel like the Liberal are really out of touch with this one. And add the vapour type disappearing promise that was the 25% less fees from telecom companies, I believe Liberals are too dependent on telecom donations.

Watch the CRTC end up only allowing Starlink in some regions where big telecoms don't care about expanding into. As soon as Starlink starts hinting at non-remote regions they're going to change their tune.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, fuck all the companies? lol

Netflix opened a Vancouver studio hoping to avoid this, so both sides were playing the game.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watch the CRTC end up only allowing Starlink in some regions where big telecoms don't care about expanding into. As soon as Starlink starts hinting at non-remote regions they're going to change their tune.
I am even surprised they allowed StarLink, don't forget the reason Internet resellers like TekSavvy lost the cost battle after CRTC ruled in their favour because the government basically intervened. That was because ROBELUS threatened to not invest in rural Internet. This government is really pissing me off on anti competitive support of the telecom industries.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They do but does Mr. and Ms. John Smith care though? Only the more conservatives.

Stop fucking around with the 2019 wholesale tariffs already. >.>

What. The push for Canadian-made content doesn't come from conservatives. At least in Quebec, it is progressives who want this, mainly the art and entertainment industry folks + people worried about American cultural hegemony.

I never heard of conservatives favoring that, they always say let people decide what they want to watch, "don't use our tax money to make TV shows", free market, etc. Same reason they want to abolish the CBC.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a good thing for Canada's entertainment industry, let alone Canadian artists.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Disappointed to see people slamming this. We always need more Canadian content, and we need to continue growing Canadian media industries. This is not an extreme measure considering just how much money leaves our country on streaming media. Not caring about where media is made (as at least one person in this thread has expressed) is basically resigning to even more of our talent moving abroad to work on US media.

Imagine if many other countries followed suit. It would be chaotic.
It would be great. Streaming companies are rich as hell and spreading their money to grow smaller countries' media is only a good thing.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
France has the same system already in place and it didn't seem to affect us in any significant way outside of having Netflix and Amazon producing content locally.

I don't see it being a bad thing in Canada as well.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm less worried about how this affects Netflix and more worried about how it affects smaller Canadian streaming platforms like Crave.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm less worried about how this affects Netflix and more worried about how it affects smaller Canadian streaming platforms like Crave.
The "theory" is that this protects Crave. Except that Crave is owned by Bell and they're evil.

This is why this is more of a "let them fight" situation for me, because there are no good guys. lol

Apr 21, 2018
As a Canadian horror film producer, it would be kind of nice if the streaming giants had some kind of quota of Canadian content.

Our government is already giving heavy tax credits to keep our industry alive. It would be nice to have a little autonomy to have Canadian content created and distributed.

Even CBC that creates hit shows like Schitts Creek gets heavy subsidizing from our government.

If I got to make a horror flick on Netflix I promise you'd all like it too 😎

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
I'm really confused as to why people think this is bad? This is only good for Canadian-based artists and industries. If they want to make a ton of money from us, they should throw at least some of it back into our communities.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Could this have a small incidental silver lining of less streaming services in Canada and more deals like HBO+Crave?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For those wondering why this can be bad (I have no opinion on this because of what follows):

1- It distorts supply and demand dynamics: companies have to produce the content not because people demand it but because they have to.

2- To meet the needed quotas, broadcasters can simply produce or buy the cheapest content imaginable, and not care whatsoever about whether said content will be popular or not. It's basically like a complicated tax of which the money goes in the entertainment industry's pockets, instead of being an actual tax that the government could then use the money from to do whatever else.

3- The entertainment industry CAN work as a cartel, especially when they are guaranteed to be given money. With no guarantees on the government's part that the industry won't arrange itself to favor a handful of production studios/turn into a cartel of sorts, it is suddenly the production houses that have an interest in cutting costs as much as possible to put as much of the money they receive regardless of the quality of their productions. In such a scenario, it would be up to the broadcasters to try and get around them to obtain quality productions, such as make their own productions, but this is more costly than just letting production studios compete with one another to offer the best content.

Personally, I prefer taxes over complicated regulations which are often contradictory or double-edged swords (if good at all), because raising revenue is simple and you can then use it for whatever you feel it should be used for, be it healthcare, education, whatever.

Distorting supply and demand mechanics is always likely to backfire, whereas taxes are much less likely to be counter-productive, are simple to implement, and like I said you are free to do anything with the raised revenue so you have far more flexibility, especially in a world where priorities can quickly change.

If we wanted to favor the creation of Canadian content, I think we need to identify what makes it costly to create content, and find ways to get those costs down massively.

Edit: I am very curious about how YouTube will end up down the line. Wouldn't be surprising that it would affect it too. Next thing you know, "YouTube is not available in Canada." And now all of a sudden, interest in the platform drops among Canadians, and any Canadian who would have produced content for it can't anymore, because YT was not meeting some arbitrary quota.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck you to the Canadian government. Only reason this garbage is being pulled is to make these services more expensive so people go back to cable. Cable companies are essentially making this shit law.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Could this have a small incidental silver lining of less streaming services in Canada and more deals like HBO+Crave?

The HBO+Crave deal certainly isn't a good thing if you care about content quality (Crave doesn't even know what 4k is) or stopping Bell's coffers from growing even larger.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even CBC that creates hit shows like Schitts Creek gets heavy subsidizing from our government.
And that show spent its entire run hiding the fact that it takes place in Canada while name dropping US cities every episode and doing things like saying the drinking age is 21 to trick the viewer it's American. There needs to be rules against that when our tax dollars are involved. Canada gets no credit and no gain in soft power that way.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And that show spent its entire run hiding the fact that it takes place in Canada while name dropping US cities every episode and doing things like saying the drinking age is 21 to trick the viewer it's American. There needs to be rules against that when our tax dollars are involved. Canada gets no credit and no gain in soft power that way.

It put money in a production company's pockets. See my points above.

It's a stupid complicated way of putting a tax in place, but instead of raising the revenue for the government, it goes straight to a specific industry that then does whatever it wants.

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
It put money in a production company's pockets. See my points above.

It's a stupid complicated way of putting a tax in place, but instead of raising the revenue for the government, it goes straight to a specific industry that then does whatever it wants.
A Canadian production company that pays taxes and pays wages in Canada, that have income tax charged by the federal and provincial government. If you don't think these companies are paying enough in taxes then that's a separate argument, otherwise I don't understand your point.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
All it is going to do is raise costs for viewers who won't even watch this stuff in the first place. The Canadian government needs to accept it has some form of movie business because it's cheaper to film here and places like BC can be basically any major western metro city in the world. Now prices will be jacked up to where folks may just go, "eh, cheaper to go with a Internet + cable bundle". This isn't designed to get more Canadian content but more cable subscribers.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A Canadian production company that pays taxes and pays wages in Canada, that have income tax charged by the federal and provincial government. If you don't think these companies are paying enough in taxes then that's a separate argument, otherwise I don't understand your point.

He said there should be rules regulating the content of the show when our tax dollars subsidize it because otherwise what is the point if it is indistinguishable from American content. I said the subsidy is just to put money in the Canadian production companies' pockets. It is not trying to make shows with a Canadian identity, which would require a definition and some editorial review process.

I say stop these regulations, just tax companies, use the money for whatever is actually a priority.

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
He said there should be rules regulating the content of the show when our tax dollars subsidize it because otherwise what is the point if it is indistinguishable from American content. I said the subsidy is just to put money in the Canadian production companies' pockets. It is not trying to make shows with a Canadian identity, which would require a definition and some editorial review process.

I say stop these regulations, just tax companies, use the money for whatever is actually a priority.
Is creating Canadian jobs not a good enough priority? Just because we're Canadian doesn't mean we have to make strictly in-your-face Canadian content either.

Jul 4, 2018
Crave doesn't even know what 4k is
To be fair neither does HBO/HBO MAX right now.

I think this is largely a positive as it will mean more local and international productions for Canada. It's my understanding that the percentage is just for money earned it Canada and not internationally so the more Canadians subscribe to a service the more Canadian productions there are. I'd like to see similar measures around the world (much better than quotas like what they are proposing in the EU in my opinion)

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Wont this just make Netflix and co jack up the price again here?

Ideally they would just product some of their content here. I wonder if they regret cancelling Travelers now(it was 100% Canadian).

Trailer Park Boys about to get paid.

Somebody being back Stargate already!