• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Do you vote for the party that's blatantly racist, or the one that wants to kick out anyone who fails a French exam? The one who wants to force immigrants to pass a ridiculous "values test", or the one that fights to hang a crucifix in parliament?

Aren't you describing the same party again and again?

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I moved to Quebec last year, and I have no idea what to do about the upcoming election.

There isn't a single party that I wouldn't feel incredibly gross voting for. It makes me realize how good I had it, politically, in BC. I could get involved, I felt like there were good options and bad options. In Quebec, it seems like a zero-sum game with no path forward.

Do you vote for the party that's blatantly racist, or the one that wants to kick out anyone who fails a French exam? The one who wants to force immigrants to pass a ridiculous "values test", or the one that fights to hang a crucifix in parliament?

But you have to vote for someone, right? Abstaining helps nothing. But no matter who I'd vote for, I'd be hurting someone. Contributing to negative progress.

God dammit.

Vote for the Quebec conservatives or Quebec NDP.

lol

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't you describing the same party again and again?

Hey, at least Quebec Solidaire wants to take the crucifix down. At the same time as they separate Quebec from Canada and make the language laws even more draconian. And they have the first candidate in Quebec to ever wear a headscarf! Despite the fact that they said if they'd win they'd ban public employees from wearing headscarves. Oh, and they also said they'd fight for exemptions to the Declaration of Human Rights to allow them to legally discriminate against minorities.

So maybe I could vote Liberal! If I was fine with a crucifix hanging in parliament and increased oil drilling.

Throwing out specifics like this is actually helping. Maybe Liberal is my best option. I agree with a lot of Quebec Solidaire's policies, but others outright disgust me. On the flipside, I don't agree with the Liberals on practically anything...but I think they have a smaller capacity for evil? And they're the more popular of the two parties, so a vote for them is probably the only thing I can do to take a stand against CAQ's potential majority.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
re: toronto council news. Who knew governing would be so hard!

In other news, Ottawa LRT delayed again! Why do we award contracts to companies that can't follow through! They better get all the penalties.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I moved to Quebec last year, and I have no idea what to do about the upcoming election.

There isn't a single party that I wouldn't feel incredibly gross voting for. It makes me realize how good I had it, politically, in BC. I could get involved, I felt like there were good options and bad options. In Quebec, it seems like a zero-sum game with no path forward.

But you have to vote for someone, right? Abstaining helps nothing. But no matter who I'd vote for, I'd be hurting someone. Contributing to negative progress.

God dammit.
Quebec politics suck.

you don't vote for Left vs Center vs Right here.

all 4 parties are interventionists, 2 of them are separatist (PQ and QS), 2 are hyper nationalist (PQ and CAQ), 3 are boring and unimaginative (PQ, PLQ and CAQ).

But only one party has ZERO separatists in it and that's the PLQ.

but, not all ridings are equal, I am voting strategically to block the evil PQ by voting QS for a cock block.

My PQ candidate posted racist stuff on her blogue (Michelle Blanc). So, to block a racist from winning in my riding, I will be voting for Ruba Ghazal (QS) in Mercier even though I am pro-Canada Federalist

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oh, and they also said they'd fight for exemptions to the Declaration of Human Rights to allow them to legally discriminate against minorities.
Wait, what? QS did that? What are you referring to? QS are the biggest bleeding heart ultra-leftists ever.
My PQ candidate posted racist stuff on her blogue (Michelle Blanc). So, to block a racist from winning in my riding, I will be voting for Ruba Ghazal (QS) in Mercier even though I am pro-Canada Federalist
That's fair. I'm in the same riding but I might vote NDP just because... they exist now and I've wanted them to exist for a while and they are the only provincial party who are federalist and social democratic. Even if they have no chance, at least I'm adding to the statistics for future support... hopefully

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Wait, what? QS did that? What are you referring to? QS are the biggest bleeding heart ultra-leftists ever.

That's fair. I'm in the same riding but I might vote NDP just because... they exist now and I've wanted them to exist for a while and they are the only provincial party who are federalist and social democratic. Even if they have no chance, at least I'm adding to the statistics for future support... hopefully
my Dad used to work with Fortin (leader of NDPQ) in a hotel. He told me that Fortin was a big mouth who talked too much, LOL

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

And yet:

She left, in part, because of Québec Solidaire's pledge to pass a law, if it takes power, that would prohibit hijab-clad Muslim women or turban-wearing Sikh men from holding certain jobs such as a judge or police officer.

Moreover, under certain circumstances, Québec Solidaire would go so far as to use Sec. 33 of the federal Charter of Rights and Freedoms — which allows governments to override certain rights granted under the legislation — to keep its law in force.

Any party I vote for is going to make me feel awful for doing so.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
all Quebec parties are big time interventionist, no matter if they are Left, Right, Federalist or Separatist.

all of them want to tell you how to run your life ; it's hold over of the Catholic Church who previously told you how to run your life but know it's government that does it

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I blinked and woke up in Quebec today.

I wonder if he can use the notwithstanding clause to like make gay marriage illegal. lol
At this point anything is game right?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if he can use the notwithstanding clause to like make gay marriage illegal. lol

The notwithstanding clause only applies to overriding certain parts of the charter. I'm not sure if that would be covered, and I also don't think the province has the constitutional power to define marriage anyway.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The notwithstanding clause only applies to overriding certain parts of the charter. I'm not sure if that would be covered, and I also don't think the province has the constitutional power to define marriage anyway.
Aren't marriage licenses provincial?
But yeah, I guess I have to see how governments can fuck you over. I never really looked into it because, well, it's always been a Quebec problem. But I just wonder how many rights can be just written away at this point and whether the entire Charter is basically a joke.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

A federal bill for same-sex marriage was passed in 2005, and was sent to the Supreme Court of Canada beforehand to make sure it would stand up to charter scrutiny. Ford can just tack on 'notwithstanding' to an awful lot of bills, but that's one thing he wouldn't be able to do, as far as I can see anyway.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah Section 33 can be used to override section 2 and sections 7 to 15. Section 15 is the one that protects people from discrimination based on race, gender, etc... so we're fucked.

Does America have this in the Bill of Rights or Constitution, where a state can just opt out and say abortions are illegal?

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

The Government of Alberta actually tried that in 2000 and it was slapped down by the Supreme Court because the definition of marriage is the domain of Parliament, not the provincial legislatures.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The Government of Alberta actually tried that in 2000 and it was slapped down by the Supreme Court because the definition of marriage is the domain of Parliament, not the provincial legislatures.
A federal bill for same-sex marriage was passed in 2005, and was sent to the Supreme Court of Canada beforehand to make sure it would stand up to charter scrutiny. Ford can just tack on 'notwithstanding' to an awful lot of bills, but that's one thing he wouldn't be able to do, as far as I can see anyway.
I guess he can pass a bill allowing churches and private institutions to bar gay marriage on their premises under religious freedoms or something? ie, the right to marriage is not protected via a new section 33 based-bill and people can choose not to allow or recognize marriages if they so choose?

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
But yeah, I guess I have to see how governments can fuck you over. I never really looked into it because, well, it's always been a Quebec problem. But I just wonder how many rights can be just written away at this point and whether the entire Charter is basically a joke.

Concept or marriage and its effects = Federal
Celebration or marriage (procedure) = Provincial

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess he can pass a bill allowing churches and private institutions to bar gay marriage on their premises under religious freedoms or something? ie, the right to marriage is not protected via a new section 33 based-bill and people can choose not to allow or recognize marriages if they so choose?

Religious organizations can already not offer same-sex marriage if they choose. The Anglican Church of Canada only voted to allow it a couple of years back, for example.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

Gay Marriage? nobody it talking about that.

but what they are talking about is identity politics, language, immigration, grand-children not speaking french and Hitler birthdays on a10 year old blog

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Speaking of Hitler's birthday, it's amazing how self-proclaimed top social media expert Michelle Blanc doesn't seem to know the first rule about social media: "every dumb things that you post will come back to bite you".

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Don't like that the court ruled against your unlawful legislation? Override them just like a dictator!

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So a large local news story here and having friends that new her the killer is finally getting charged.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/09/10/marissa-shen-homicide-case/

Syrian Refugee that had been here for 4 months.
Asian community was already furious about the lack of exposure prior to this. It'll be a damn disservice if it's kicked under the rug further.

Needless to say this story is about to blow up. Whether either side actually gives a fuck about the girl? Unlikely.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My god Rachel Curran is saying all kinds of ridiculous nonsense on Power and Politics. She's never been great but I'm amazed right now at the stupidity.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
This is my frustration....

I also find the Rachel Curran ratio a bit low in this thread, I'm just gonna leave this here.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
P.E.I. Green Party grabs lead in latest poll

For the first time a party that is not Liberal or Progressive Conservative has come out on top of a P.E.I. political poll from Corporate Research Associates.

The CRA poll, based on phone calls to 300 Islanders from Aug. 2-21, put the Green Party on top with the support of 38 per cent of Islanders, three points ahead of the governing Liberals.

The poll also saw a significant drop in support for the Tories. With just 20 per cent support for the PCs, the poll suggests the Island is moving towards a two-way race between the Liberals and Greens. Support for the NDP was unchanged at seven per cent.

fc35c586-3914-4c19-92ce-92b94dd9667a.png

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the national do a story on the notwithstanding clause and they play a clip of Chretien saying no one would use it because of the political cost. So quaint. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.