• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer sucks, lord does he suck, but... I appreciate his statement and stance at least on COVID19

I bet he's only doing it because the party's getting ratio'd on their partisan attacks at a time like this, and I bet their internal polls show it too.

People are sick, losing their jobs, trying to make ends meet, no one has time for their BS now.

If only O'Toole and Mackay got that message. This is what opposition parties should be doing in times of crisis

These two are running to replace Scheer so it's a bit different for them. Each one is trying to outdo the other.

But no one cares about the leadership race now so they're just yelling at clouds now.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mmm not kay.

I, for one, am shocked that MacKay has poor judgement.
Sarcasm, obviously.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

It feels like we're getting more and more shit on the fan.

There will be more cases like these if dumb fucks don't stop lying when they arrive at the hospital. We had a case in Quebec of a pregnant woman not telling doctors that she lived with her parents who came back from a trip. Lots of people do that because they feel they won't get service if they say they have COVID-19 symptoms or if they say they were with people who might be dangerous.

People like these will be the cause of so many infections.

Last edited:

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Are we allowed to go outside for walks, as long as maintain social distancing and masks?

Suburb streets are empty right now, and I'd like to get some fresh air.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Infection rate of healthcare professional in Italy and Spain is about 10% from what I've read so the Toronto number isn't that worrisome.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Are we allowed to go outside for walks, as long as maintain social distancing and masks?

Suburb streets are empty right now, and I'd like to get some fresh air.

Taking walks is still permitted if you follow the rules of social distancing and masks. Assuming you are not back from a trip, or showing symptoms. My understanding is that the cases you're pretty much confined home.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
One friend's coworker went to Florida for vacation on Wednesday after the "no travel!!!" warning was already announced. Her reasoning: black people don't get covid-19 so she'd be fine.

???????
Where do some of you find these dumber than rock friends? For the good of the country, they better not let her back in until what all this passes, specially since she went to Florida

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to report organizations not following Ontario's guidelines for large gatherings? I know of some very irresponsible places of worship that are still holding large gatherings despite the ban on gatherings of 50 or more people.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Where do some of you find these dumber than rock friends? For the good of the country, they better not let her back in until what all this passes, specially since she went to Florida

All returning travelers are now under guidance to do a minimum two week period of self-isolation now, aren't they? My neighbor came back from her honeymoon last week and now she's locked up in her house.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty sure they've said that's fine, just as long as your careful about it.
Taking walks is still permitted if you follow the rules of social distancing and masks. Assuming you are not back from a trip, or showing symptoms. My understanding is that the cases you're pretty much confined home.
I pretty much have to walk my dog, so yah. Just keep your distance and wash your hands when you come back in just in case.
I did comeback from overseas travel.

Currently in Day 6 of self-isolation.

No symptoms so far, but I take it that I'll have to wait until Day 14 before I can step outside the house, despite having a mask on?

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
All returning travelers are now under guidance to do a minimum two week period of self-isolation now, aren't they? My neighbor came back from her honeymoon last week and now she's locked up in her house.

The order is voluntary so she's doing it for the betterment of our scoiety but it's not enforced (depending on your jurisdiction).

Nothing is stopping her from going "I need some fresh vegetables and beef jerky" and going out to the nearest Sobey's. People on lockdown after a trip should be quarantined as if they have the virus.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry. Our Prime Minister and Premier is saying "please" to everybody to stay at home. Praying that idiots will stay at home.
The moment Trudeau using the Emergencies Act, media and the CPC will be all over him about government overreach and civil liberties, and signs with he and his father and 'fascists' underneath and so forth will spring up like fire. He's only going to use that if we see a sharp spike in cases.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I did comeback from overseas travel.

Currently in Day 6 of self-isolation.

No symptoms so far, but I take it that I'll have to wait until Day 14 before I can step outside the house, despite having a mask on?
Ohhhh.... Yah. Stay inside. I thought you were just social distancing. You're under lockdown. Technically speaking.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The moment Trudeau using the Emergencies Act, media and the CPC will be all over him about government overreach and civil liberties, and signs with he and his father and 'fascists' underneath and so forth will spring up like fire. He's only going to use that if we see a sharp spike in cases.

Is that the same media that's been calling for authoritarian policies all this time when it comes to indigenous people, environmental protesters etc?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to report organizations not following Ontario's guidelines for large gatherings? I know of some very irresponsible places of worship that are still holding large gatherings despite the ban on gatherings of 50 or more people.

All the business that force their call centre people to go to work are technically breaking it the guidelines.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuck.

About the emergencies Act. Justin Ling does a good briefer to its limitations and why it's not invoked yet. We have existing powers that are more useful in this time of need,

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
All the business that force their call centre people to go to work are technically breaking it the guidelines.

I don't know how close employees sit at the call centers, but people are literally sitting shoulder to shoulder in places of worships. We're pretty much never going to get this thing under control with irresponsible social behaviour like this.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't know how close employees sit at the call centers, but people are literally sitting shoulder to shoulder in places of worships. We're pretty much never going to get this thing under control with irresponsible social behaviour like this.

Call centers usually structure their offices like Pods, with people sitting at a fixed distance close to one another. And even in most offices, the idea of everybody getting their own separate cubical with personal space has long been dead; what with Open Office and Pod based Setups.

That said, the stupid thing about Call Centers is that there is no reason why Employees can't work from home. The phones and numbers are already VoIP, it would just be a matter of every employee getting the software installed on their personal machines, a VPN back to the office and everybody bringing home their office microphone if they don't have one already.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I know some people at the Rogers call centers, until Thursday they were still sitting 1 to each cubicle. Thursday the company finally took it serious and spaced people out so there is an empty cubicle between them I still don't think that's good enough

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call centers are dirty places, dirtier than you can imagine. The one I use to work at was dusty and before or after your shift more than likely multiple people were working on the desk/computer you were using, let alone using the same headset at times.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Call centers usually structure their offices like Pods, with people sitting at a fixed distance close to one another. And even in most offices, the idea of everybody getting their own separate cubical with personal space has long been dead; what with Open Office and Pod based Setups.

That said, the stupid thing about Call Centers is that there is no reason why Employees can't work from home. The phones and numbers are already VoIP, it would just be a matter of every employee getting the software installed on their personal machines, a VPN back to the office and everybody bringing home their office microphone if they don't have one already.

I've mentioned it before here, bit Rogers is putting the call centre agents and their families at risk because of how stubborn they have been for years about letting call centre agents work from home. They have promised and promised that they were working to let agents work from home from before my time at the company. Even now they aren't allowing them to work from home (maybe they think this will all blow over soon). But that means that people from their offices can work from home, the people making the decisions that force the call centre agents work from home, and they keep telling agents that it's enough that they wash their hands and they'll be fine. Ignoring the fact that most agents use public transit.

I hate how this company is treating call centre agents. After all this is done, I'm definitely going to be looking to leave Rogers, simply for the way they treat their front line agents

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Drove out to get pick-up Pizza, and saw a surprising amount of ppl outdoors, some walking their pets (that's fine), but I saw maybe 2-3 groups of neighbors (I assume?) kind of standing outside socializing...

Weird.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Drove out to get pick-up Pizza, and saw a surprising amount of ppl outdoors, some walking their pets (that's fine), but I saw maybe 2-3 groups of neighbors (I assume?) kind of standing outside socializing...

Weird.

Yea other than more people wearing masks and gloves, I haven't noticed that much a difference.

The weirdest thing is that when I went grocery shopping, the sour cream section of all things was cleared out.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from a short walk near the False Creek seawall.

Mostly looked good. Foot traffic was definitely significantly lower than normal so it was pretty easy to get spacing between other people. Only idiocy we saw was a group of 5 or 6 teenage girls walking a dog, all shoulder to shoulder chatting, and they were obviously not all from the same household.

Seems to be mostly the olds and teenagers that don't give a damn about what they should be doing.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
www.thestar.com

Leaked email reveals Ontario regional medical officer’s criticism of provincial COVID-19 strategy as cracks emerge in front line

In an email obtained by the Star, Dr. Shanker Nesathurai wrote Thursday that Ontario’s response has undermined the province’s attempt to contain the outbreak, as businesses remain open and travellers ignore advice to self-isolate.

Not a good sign if medical professionals are sounding the alarm.
My dentist friend here (QC) has been saying people in his medical professional circles have been on high alert, even panicking in the last few days... :\ fortunately things don't seem too bad here (yet).

A lot of it is coming from NY. What the fuck are they dong? Coughing in each others mouths?

Part of that is just that NYC is doing more aggressive testing than any other area of the USA.

But yeah, being one of the densest urban centers in the world certainly doesn't help.
That, but also... Well, this might illuminate you as to why NYC is exploding:
www.resetera.com

New York state alone has more coronavirus cases than France or South Korea as infections soar to 15,168 COVID

That Daily Show interview with De Blasio from March 11th sure didn't age well, huh? http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ketn51/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-bill-de-blasio---confronting-the-coronavirus-outbreak-in-new-york-city---extended-interview (Alternate link for Canadians, not sure if it...

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yea other than more people wearing masks and gloves, I haven't noticed that much a difference.

The weirdest thing is that when I went grocery shopping, the sour cream section of all things was cleared out.
In general, I'd say most citizens are abiding by the new health regulations and rules that Quebec has started to enforce. But it only take 1 person that ignores them to fuck everything up.

I'm glad that law enforcement can arrest people for endangering public health now though.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
In general, I'd say most citizens are abiding by the new health regulations and rules that Quebec has started to enforce. But it only take 1 person that ignores them to fuck everything up.

I'm glad that law enforcement can arrest people for endangering public health now though.

What do they do, fine them or place them under house arrest? Putting them in jail doesn't really help since that's just a petri dish for the virus to flourish.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
What do they do, fine them or place them under house arrest? Putting them in jail doesn't really help since that's just a petri dish for the virus to flourish.
They can arrest/detain them or assign them to a medical institute. They've already arrested one woman for disobeying the self-quarantine ordinance she was given. They brought her to a hospital and she'll probably face charges.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
My dentist friend here (QC) has been saying people in his medical professional circles have been on high alert, even panicking in the last few days... :\ fortunately things don't seem too bad here (yet).

www.resetera.com

New York state alone has more coronavirus cases than France or South Korea as infections soar to 15,168 COVID

That Daily Show interview with De Blasio from March 11th sure didn't age well, huh? http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ketn51/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-bill-de-blasio---confronting-the-coronavirus-outbreak-in-new-york-city---extended-interview (Alternate link for Canadians, not sure if it...
OMG, the "you're just going to ride it out" plan is working so well for them. What a fucking idiot.

americans not practicing social distancing is going to collapse their already shit healthcare system and everything else around them. It's so frustrating.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hadju says we should plan to do social distancing for months, but yo, I don't think anyone is gonna be able to handle this for months

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that employers actually let people take time off when they're sick rather than force them to come in now that we know how bad it can be with something worse than the cold/flu?

(I think I know the answer :p)

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Well damn...

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Hadju says we should plan to do social distancing for months, but yo, I don't think anyone is gonna be able to handle this for months

Especially when they start to run out of money, food and essential items. This is pretty easy now because it's week 1 and a lot of people are still employed and paid.

Australia today closed everything(bar, gym , restaurant) for 6 months. The current relief package by Trudeau here is like 15 weeks...

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Especially when they start to run out of money, food and essential items. This is pretty easy now because it's week 1 and a lot of people are still employed and paid.

Australia today closed everything(bar, gym , restaurant) for 6 months. The current relief package by Trudeau here is like 15 weeks...
6 months!? Crazy

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I went to visit my parents today, stayed in the car with my windows 3/4 up in their driveway while they both stood about 8 ft from each window, had a good catch up, lol.