• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 24, 2018
So i left work today because my wife has a burning feeling in her throat and a bit of a cough. Shes waiting to get through with 811 on the phone.

Meanwhile, my boss just called me and i explained what was happening. He says they will probably just tell me and her to calm down, and that he's been making sure everything is wiped down and that everyone at work keeps distance from eachother. Our manager left on Monday morning because of a cough also i should add.

It sounds like he still expects me to come in, but i explained to him that if 811 says to quarantine, ill need a ROE to get EI for the next two weeks. Which to his credit, said would be fine.

Oh and my job is the farthest thing from essential.

Why are people still not taking any of this seriously?

And if he decides to not provide my ROE am i just fucked?

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
So i left work today because my wife has a burning feeling in her throat and a bit of a cough. Shes waiting to get through with 811 on the phone.

Meanwhile, my boss just called me and i explained what was happening. He says they will probably just tell me and her to calm down, and that he's been making sure everything is wiped down and that everyone at work keeps distance from eachother. Our manager left on Monday morning because of a cough also i should add.

It sounds like he still expects me to come in, but i explained to him that if 811 says to quarantine, ill need a ROE to get EI for the next two weeks. Which to his credit, said would be fine.

It's just a cold... come here and lets do a group hug.

Seriously, people think this is nothing.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Don't they legally have to provide the ROE?

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
40 in BC today with one more death.

Obviously not great, but I think the big numbers the past couple days have been backlogs. Hopefully we see a decrease again tomorrow.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I think we need to be ready to see the numbers go up in the next few days, it's only natural. More testing + More late results from earlier + Faster testing now.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, something should happen to the person who visited there at this point.
Ah man, such a tragedy. Hopefully the others recover.
My father is in a nursing home in Burnaby. They've been barring visitors since this pandemic began, in order to eliminate any possible transmission, but it's still scary.

It sucks. And now it's in 3 homes :(

I don't even think they know who originally pulled it into Lynn Valley but it may have been a worker who didn't realize. :(

My grandpa is in a care home too, in Vancouver, and they're locked down. My aunt was trying to be cheeky about it for a bit ("he can just meet us outside") but my cousin was like STOP. And they've realized what a bad idea it would have been.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks. And now it's in 3 homes :(

I don't even think they know who originally pulled it into Lynn Valley but it may have been a worker who didn't realize. :(

My grandpa is in a care home too, in Vancouver, and they're locked down. My aunt was trying to be cheeky about it for a bit ("he can just meet us outside") but my cousin was like STOP. And they've realized what a bad idea it would have been.
Stay safe! Keep practicing social distancing, no matter how painful and we'll all get through this.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just so everyone in Canada knows, it's official now that Winners/Homesense/Marshalls is closed globally for the next two week.

www.businesswire.com

The TJX Companies, Inc. Provides COVID-19 Update

The TJX Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TJX), today announced several actions related to its response to the rapidly changing market uncertainty from the COVID

Yay for being non-essential.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Just so everyone in Canada knows, it's official now that Winners/Homesense/Marshalls is closed globally for the next two week.

www.businesswire.com

The TJX Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TJX), today announced several actions related to its response to the rapidly changing market uncertainty from the COVID

I mean, unless you're in the medical profession, firefighter, or keep the electricity going. You're not essential. This is a battle going on at work now.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Going to try and go to the supermarket tomorrow. Nothing dumb like millions of rolls of toilet paper, just some veggies and fruits, and I'll try and pick up some canned food just to add to the pantry.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Going to try and go to the supermarket tomorrow. Nothing dumb like millions of rolls of toilet paper, just some veggies and fruits, and I'll try and pick up some canned food just to add to the pantry.

Been to a big chain store on monday (Metro), at peak hour (like 5PM) and aside from the toilet paper aisle, it was still holding up. Like even canned food, dry pasta, canned sauce, frozen stuff etc. And it's in a neighborhood full of boomers. I think you'll be fine!

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Im honestly getting a little worried and stressing out. Work has ceased cause people either dont want us around or are pinching pennies just in case. I am on EI now. But its not enough to pay my mortgage and car payment and other bills. I also look after my elderly sick folks. If work doesnt resume soon, im very fucking scared whats gonna happen to us.

Fuck this virus. Stay safe and smart everyone.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

www.businesswire.com

Well we can't all be Gamestop.
I hope Gamestop employees go on a massive strike in response to such callous commands they've received from the higher ups.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate news today. Someone at our work campus tested positive today. I haven't been in the office since the 11th but the period at issue is the 9th to the 12th. They said they would phone everyone who had close contact with them before 6:00pm today and I have not been phoned, so that's good at least.

My anti-social tendencies may have been to my benefit this time around. I mostly only talk to 2 other people in the office.
Fraser Health Authority said we need to monitor until the 27th to be sure.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Well we can't all be Gamestop.
I hope Gamestop employees go on a massive strike in response to such callous commands they've received from the higher ups.

Wasn't Gamestop on the brink of bankruptcy before this anyway? It's probably the nail in the coffin so the employees might as well walk.
Though perhaps EB could survive à la Toys' R Us Canada.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Should I take advantage of this and get some of that juicy overtime?

IMG-20200319-WA0004.jpg

There's a lot of open shifts available because too many of my coworkers are booking off.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of scary we were told we can't order N95 masks anymore today. All models and size are backordered. Department has like a box of each size and model left. I'm pretty sure there are positive cases in the hospital as we've been told to change clothes after entering and before exiting the building today. It appears the swab required for testing are also limited as they've sent a note about stopping to use them for flu testing. They're clearly not ready for this.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Should I take advantage of this and get some of that juicy overtime?

IMG-20200319-WA0004.jpg

There's a lot of open shifts available because too many of my coworkers are booking off.
Grinding 64 hours a week just seems like a recipe for getting sick though, if only through increased possibility of exposure alone.
In this employment environment... I'd make hay while it's still shining.

The coming job market is the scariest thing I've ever seen.
I wonder if public transit will be safe. On the one hand the economy will crash and people may not be able to afford cars anymore. On the other hand, the white collar class will likely be able to work from home permanently after all of this, so maybe there won't be demand for public transit anymore.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My one hope is that after all of this is said and done; we as a society take a good hard look at ourselves and put in place some meaninful, across the board changes to prepare us for the next time this happens.

I'm talking:
  • Forcing employers to offer Sick Leave for all employees
  • Forced Hazard Pay for employees whicha are forced to work after a health based state of emergency is called
  • Enhanced social programs, all the way up to and including UBI. Baring that, taking these new programs and putting them in place permenantly, or baring that making it so that they are automatically enabled the moment that a state of emergency is issued
  • Heavily "encouraging" Employers to continue their new Work From Home policies.
  • Rules to enforce essential stores to put in place purchase quantitity limits to prevent panic buying

Last edited:

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
^ Plus, do something on those people who took advantage of the situation. Like, re-selling necessities because of high demand.
I wonder if public transit will be safe. On the one hand the economy will crash and people may not be able to afford cars anymore. On the other hand, the white collar class will likely be able to work from home permanently after all of this, so maybe there won't be demand for public transit anymore.
If that's the case, people who don't own a care is pretty much fuck then.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, people who don't own a care is pretty much fuck then.
Or maybe we treat public transit as an actual social good and properly fund it so that it doesn't matter if it makes money or not. lol
I'm assuming TTC is still running at full service at the moment and is probably bleeding money, but that should be okay and not considered a problem.

I know, I'm dreaming at this point. When this is over we'll go back to normal and forget all the lessons we learned. :p

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
My one hope is that after all of this is said and done; we as a society take a good hard look at ourselves and put in place some meaninful, across the board changes to prepare us for the next time this happens.

I'm talking:
  • Forced Hazard Pay for employees whicha are forced to work after a health based state of emergency is called
  • Enhanced social programs, all the way up to and including UBI. Baring that, taking these new programs and putting them in place permenantly, or baring that making it so that they are automatically enabled the moment that a state of emergency is issued
  • Heavily "encouraging" Employers to continue their new Work From Home policies.
  • Rules to enforce essential stores to put in place purchase quntity limits to prevent panic buying

As more and more people are moved to part time jobs and working for Uber/Amazon, this will be necessary or our country will be scrambling when the next inevitable disaster strikes us again.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I'm talking:
  • Rules to enforce essential stores to put in place purchase quntity limits to prevent panic buying

Nothing will change except maybe more WFH policies but I think that was already happening anyway.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
^ Plus, do something on those people who took advantage of the situation. Like, re-selling necessities because of high demand.
This!

I knew I was forgetting something. This should absolutely be legislated against if it isn't already. Restrict businesses from raising prices to take advantage of situations; and put in place rules that state that if someone or something is trying to take advantage of mass panic due to events (like Pandemics) they are automatically slapped with fines triple that what they earned from their sales.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will change except maybe more WFH policies but I think that was already happening anyway.
It's funny because the world shutting down is actually helping the climate change problem. This is the type of drastic action that is actually needed if we want to make sure the rest of the world isn't like Australia and literally (or metaphorically) on fire for several months at a time.

But I know people think we can just carbon tax our way out of that inevitable future. lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Also other questions - why are we charging interest on student loans or why do we charge for post-secondary education in the first place?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Also other questions - why are we charging interest on student loans or why do we charge for post-secondary education in the first place?
One of the big things this whole thing is showing is just how many things in society are actually meaningless human-made constructs. Take for example Data Caps on Internet Service? ISPs waiving them for this pandemic just shows how worthless their arguments actually are for needing them in the first place.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
In the same way we accept shiny coins/plastic-y paper as having the inherent value stamped on them - we agree as a society that they're okay this way over time. It doesn't mean we shouldn't come back to those ideas and reconsider them. ISP's are going to have a harder time putting the genie back in unless they all make claims of their networks dying.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
globalnews.ca

Dr. Bonnie Henry and Adrian Dix answer your coronavirus questions at Global BC Town Hall | Globalnews.ca

Global BC hosted a virtual town hall with provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, Health Minister Adrian Dix, and B.C. Premier John Horgan. You can watch it here.

They will be answering peoples questions. I've wrote about my concern for retail workers in this time so hopefully many others do too and get an answer from them.
And they said pretty much nothing

Fucking idiots

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Or maybe we treat public transit as an actual social good and properly fund it so that it doesn't matter if it makes money or not. lol
I'm assuming TTC is still running at full service at the moment and is probably bleeding money, but that should be okay and not considered a problem.

I know, I'm dreaming at this point. When this is over we'll go back to normal and forget all the lessons we learned. :p
Our politicians seem to view public transit as a nice to have rather than a need to have. It bears repeating over and over again, the TTC is the least subsidized system in North America. If you wonder why they're being so anal about fare evasion, that's the reason.

I read that in order to make the TTC free for everyone, it would require a 40% increase in property taxes to cover the loss of fare revenue.

And don't get me started on the state of transit expansion in this city.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
London transit is stopping any fare collections and having people
Enter the bus by the rear doors until April.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
One of the big things this whole thing is showing is just how many things in society are actually meaningless human-made constructs. Take for example Data Caps on Internet Service? ISPs waiving them for this pandemic just shows how worthless their arguments actually are for needing them in the first place.
It's funny because Bell and Rogers are acting like they are doing us a favour by dropping data caps. lol

In the same way we accept shiny coins/plastic-y paper as having the inherent value stamped on them - we agree as a society that they're okay this way over time. It doesn't mean we shouldn't come back to those ideas and reconsider them. ISP's are going to have a harder time putting the genie back in unless they all make claims of their networks dying.
The fact that governments can just stop charging interest for 6 months on those loans though SHOULD make people wonder why they are going to go back to paying interest in month 7.
Our politicians seem to view public transit as a nice to have rather than a need to have. It bears repeating over and over again, the TTC is the least subsidized system in North America. If you wonder why they're being so anal about fare evasion, that's the reason.

I read that in order to make the TTC free for everyone, it would require a 40% increase in property taxes to cover the loss of fare revenue.

And don't get me started on the state of transit expansion in this city.
Yeah, I know. It's a dumb cycle where the service degrades and people continue to be dissatisfied with the service.
I think it's dumb that people think the future is moving from congested roads full of gas guzzling cars to congested roads full of electric cars instead of making the car obsolete and investing in public infrastructure, but that's another discussion I suppose.