• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Friday prayers at my local mosque have been cancelled and will remain cancelled until further notice. For reference, attendance of Friday prayers is mandatory for males. Friday prayers have never been cancelled before in my life.

This just goes to show how different this is from previous viruses. The seriousness and magnitude of this is illness beginning to dawn on me.

I suppose I should probably start hoarding supplies before they lock the country down like Italy.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Friday prayers at my local mosque have been cancelled and will remain cancelled until further notice. For reference, attendance of Friday prayers is mandatory for males. Friday prayers have never been cancelled before in my life.

This just goes to show how different this is from previous viruses. The seriousness and magnitude of this is illness beginning to dawn on me.

I suppose I should probably start hoarding supplies before they lock the country down like Italy.
italy has probably had the worst response so fat

definitely sort out a backup plan but i would not expect citywide lockdowns unless things take a dramatic turn

ontario should definitely be ordering bars to close tho

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god Andrew Scheer isn't PM right now. Fucker would probably have told people in panic over how they're going to make ends meet, to go kick rocks (oh no not you oil companies, there's always money for you).

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god Andrew Scheer isn't PM right now. Fucker would probably have told people in panic over how they're going to make ends meet, to go kick rocks (oh no not you oil companies, there's always money for you).

He'd do what Trump is doing. Make things worse.

Even Harper tried to deregulate banks during the financial crisis and later took credit for not crashing the economy as bad even though he wanted to do exactly that.

These guys and their donors want people to default, lots of homes and other assets to buy on the cheap when they go under which will be worth more when economy eventually recovers.

All those small oil sands companies get scooped up by the big corporations etc.

Look what Kenney is doing in AB.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Quebec has banned visitors from hospitals.

I can't visit my father anymore at the hospital when he needs his kids most.

I understand it is to protect the vulnerable but my father's days are running out and I want to be with him when he needs us

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I am not an active LDS (Mormon) anymore, but I read that all weekly church gatherings of any kind have been postponed till further notice. Shit is getting crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
So Manitoba closes schools for three weeks, and Saskatchewan...does nothing. The official line is that since there are only 2 cases here it's not a big deal yet, so a ban on gatherings of 250 people or greater is all that is required. Except, of course, that there will be 700-1,500 kids in the hallways between each class at each of the high schools, etc.

Life comes at you fast, and I'm sure we will be closing schools within a week or two. It's stupid since the time to do it is now, when very few here have it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So Manitoba closes schools for three weeks, and Saskatchewan...does nothing. The official line is that since there are only 2 cases here it's not a big deal yet, so a ban on gatherings of 250 people or greater is all that is required. Except, of course, that there will be 700-1,500 kids in the hallways between each class at each of the high schools, etc.

Life comes at you fast, and I'm sure we will be closing schools within a week or two. It's stupid since the time to do it is now, when very few here have it.
I work in a school district in Alberta. We had a school meeting today and we have cancelled all field trips, co-curriculars and sports games till further notice. As of now there is no word about closing schools other than it is still a possibility. I expect we will follow Manitoba's decision and close after this next week.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I understand it is to protect the vulnerable but my father's days are running out and I want to be with him when he needs us
I'm so sorry to hear that, man.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In today's "Tim Horton's is trash" news:

My condolences for everything you're going through as a result of this decision.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In today's "Tim Horton's is trash" news:

My condolences for everything you're going through as a result of this decision.

In Ontario at least, I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to require a doctor's note from an employee. At least that's what I've been told from my HR department when I was a store manager at Five Guys and A&W.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In Ontario at least, I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to require a doctor's note from an employee. At least that's what I've been told from my HR department when I was a store manager at Five Guys and A&W.

Well, that was the case. Then there was a man known simply as "Thug Ford" who repealed the law preventing that, and took away mandatory sick leave

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

I'm very sorry dude. :( I am actually going through something very similar. He's not currently hospitalized, but he also likely does not have long. He's also immunocompromised right now so I know it's for the best, but it's so damn awful and worrying.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear, both gutter_trash and Morrigan 😔 I hope you will get to see them soon.

I'm still really freaked out right now, but at least, other than Monday next week (provided I don't show symptoms over the weekend) I'm going to be working from home, so that puts me at ease. I've gotten to high enough anxiety that I think my BPM has been over 100 almost all day haha. Which is making me think I have a fever...but it's likely because my heart is doing the equivalent of working out for 8 hours... I'm going to check my temperature when I get home though. :S

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I'm sorry to hearr that :(
I hope he's able to make it longer so you can spend more time with him

I'm very sorry dude. :( I am actually going through something very similar. He's not currently hospitalized, but he also likely does not have long. He's also immunocompromised right now so I know it's for the best, but it's so damn awful and worrying.

You too Morrigan. I hope your father stays safe

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear that gutter_trash :(

My wife is immunocompromised as well. She was begging me not to go into the office today.

I don't want to test the odds if she gets COVID-19:(

Hope he stays safe :-/

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Hope the situation improves for both of you Morrigan & gutter_trash

My wife and I are both mildly sick (nothing crazy, feels more like the flu), but luckily she works at a school so she now has two weeks off and my work has called off work for two weeks so we will be isolated anyways

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bank of Canada cut rates again... unscheduled

wow. Somehow I missed that today.

Last edited:

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I'm really surprised we're not seeing a quicker rise in cases here considering the climate, the lack of travel restrictions, the number of flights from the hot zones and the fact that so many of the cases thus far are unrelated. Let's hope it stays that way, but logically, I don't see how it could.

And I hope you'll be able to see your love ones. Hopefully, they're gonna make exceptions once the proper measures are in place.

Oct 25, 2017

University of Saskatchewan just announced classes are cancelled until next Thursday, and then they will begin online classes until the end of the term. My daughters preschool in Saskatoon just decided the time was now and closed as well. For how long, I'm not sure.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Now that the Canadian Government has finally issued its worldwide travel ban. Our group has decided to cancel our trip to Japan in for end of April. It's extremely disappointing since I was really looking forward to it and it was going to be my first legitamite trip out of the country; but it's the right thing to do to help contain the spread.

... Now to figure out how to put in a request with my Travel Insurance/Air Canada to get my money back. This will be fun

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Now that the Canadian Government has finally issued its worldwide travel ban. Our group has decided to cancel our trip to Japan in for end of April. It's extremely disappointing since I was really looking forward to it and it was going to be my first legitamite trip out of the country; but it's the right thing to do to help contain the spread.

... Now to figure out how to put in a request with my Travel Insurance/Air Canada to get my money back. This will be fun

I don't see anything about a worldwide travel ban?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
globalnews.ca

Canadians abroad urged to return home while ‘commercial options still available’ | Globalnews.ca

The advice marks an escalation for the government, who previously urged Canadians to cancel or postpone non-essential trips.

Do you think this will just be a sly way of us proactively closing the border as well, and only allow commercial trade transport?

Could be but they've already said that they will be funneling international arrivals at the same few airports to better control people so that could be part of the reason. Anyway it's only a matter of time because prices of tickets are already skyrocketing since people are canceling. La Presse was reporting that Paris to Montréal in economy is now 3300$. More than 4000$ for Madrid to Montréal. Prices will act as a way to close the border too.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Could be but they've already said that they will be funneling international arrivals at the same few airports to better control people so that could be part of the reason. Anyway it's only a matter of time because prices of tickets are already skyrocketing since people are canceling. La Presse was reporting that Paris to Montréal in economy is now 3300$. More than 4000$ for Madrid to Montréal. Prices will act as a way to close the border too.

Holy hell at those prices. Good way for people to stay home at least.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
So.. two of the universities in my city are moving to online learning. No updates for mine yet.