• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Same with these guys.

All partisan hacks.

Calling for the Government to do a specific thing a day before it's announced is partisan hackery? This is far from the "Trudeau is failing Canadians" tweet today after the announced plans with nothing specific of how he's failing Canadians.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Considering Italy is now in full lock-down (shops and restaurants closed), I think I might go all doomsday prepper this weekend, as ridiculous as it is. The window of opportunity could close really quickly.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
My company (entertainment and tech industries) just banned all international and domestic travel, including cross country rail without permission from the very top of the company.

They say more will be coming in the next few days, but I'm curious to see what our workers abroad have to do. A couple of employees just came back from Europe and were told that quarantine wasn't required and a few others were planning to head to Asia at the end of the month.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Not for nothing, but what should the opposition parties be doing? lol

Not inciting panc and distrust of the government when now is the time for people to listen and pay attention to what officials have to say.

Medical professionals often have to speak through government channels since it's the only platform that has national reach. Undermining the government also undermines the medical professionals as people often mistrust when it comes from the government when they're only acting on the instructions of the SME.

And Singh has been a one note moron constantly saying the "government has to act" or that "it's not (fast) enough" when so far the feds have handled 2020 well so far. He's unbelievably insufferable.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Not inciting panc and distrust of the government when now is the time for people to listen and pay attention to what officials have to say.

Medical professionals often have to speak through government channels since it's the only platform that has national reach. Undermining the government also undermines the medical professionals as people often mistrust when it comes from the government when they're only acting on the instructions of the SME.

Sure, but that said, if you are forced to quarantine yourself and you don't know how you will pay the bills because your employer won't pay you for the time, presumably you're looking for some clear guidance on how you can make ends meet and not end up homeless or at the very least destroying your credit score.

Apparently shut up and fall in line.
The government is never wrong except when the CPC are in power. :D

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but that said, if you are forced to quarantine yourself and you don't know how you will pay the bills because your employer won't pay you for the time, presumably you're looking for some clear guidance on how you can make ends meet and not end up homeless or at the very least destroying your credit score.

If you're worried about paying bills there is EI. And the government just recently waived the 1 week period.

It's exteremely important the government comport themselves in deliberate and tempered manner. Don't incite panic.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In addition to money, how are these self quarantined people feeding themselves for the two weeks they're not supposed to leave their home or come into contact with anyone?

If you're worried about paying bills there is EI. And the government just recently waived the 1 week period.
Yes, a day AFTER Singh's tweet so tell me how what he tweeted was wrong? Don't get me wrong, Singh is constantly saying stupid shit but that tweet was not one of them.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to money, how are these self quarantined people feeding themselves for the two weeks they're not supposed to leave their home or come into contact with anyone?

Yes, a day AFTER Singh's tweet so tell me how what he tweeted was wrong?

I guarantee you Singh was not the catalyst of the EI waiver. Dollars to donuts he was even privy before that tweet as the government officials most likely briefed all parties as to their plans ahead of time which makes his tweet disingenuous. It's really no time to grand stand right now.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Canada, Ontario, and Toronto could be doing so much more to stop the spread of the virus. The Toronto Saint Paddy's parade and Comicon should be cancelled. Schools should be shut down too. It's better to be proactive than reactive in a pandemic.

The lives of people are more important than the economic losses of quarantines.

As a poor person I can't afford to take weeks off, nor do I want to infect vulnerable coworkers and family. My mom, and younger brother both have asthma. With one of my jobs being in retail, and as a frequent public transit user, I'm afraid I'll get it.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we need to go as far as Italy right now, they're in a full blown crisis. Certainly employers should manage discretionary travel. Every venue should be treated on a case by case basis. We are still a sparse country, at least in Ontario there has been little evidence of massive community based transmission so far (Ontario has 40'ish cases so far?).

Right now employers are doing a good job mitigating spread by optioning work at home for some companies like Shopify. Retailers will get hit hard if there is government intervention to shut down commercial activity. I think we want to minimize that as much as possible unless there's a huge spike. Even at work there's talk amongst co-workers to decrease the amount out of house exposure. I'm not noticing it in Ottawa at the stores but people are talking.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
We are still a sparse country, at least in Ontario there has been little evidence of massive community based transmission so far (Ontario has 40'ish cases so far?).

The population density of the GTA is 849 km2. It's home to 6.4 million people. Canada only has a low population density because of the vast uninhabited tundra, swampland and boreal forests of our north.

Italy was at only 21 cases when the German originated Lombardy outbreak was first discovered on Feb. 21. They're now at 12,000 and forced to quarantine the entire country.

This isn't the time to act conservative. Lives are at stake. Our health infrastructure can't handle this if everyone gets sick.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I do believe that ComicCon and the St. Patrick's parade should be cancelled. We already have a case of local transmission (the PDAC conference), so this is just being risky for no reason.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised one of the cities hardest hit by SARS - Toronto - is being lackadaisical and not proactive towards COVID.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I do believe that ComicCon and the St. Patrick's parade should be cancelled. We already have a case of local transmission (the PDAC conference), so this is just being risky for no reason.

I rolled my eyes hard when on the radio the news station quoted the parade organizers as saying they will take precautions to handle the virus. I mean WTF? How can you take precautions to handle an infectious virus in a crowd of thousands of people?

People need to take this thing more seriously. I regularly hear people say "it's just a flu, bro." It's sad.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I rolled my eyes hard when on the radio the news station quoted the parade organizers as saying they will take precautions to handle the virus. I mean WTF? How can you take precautions to handle an infectious virus in a crowd of thousands of people?

People need to take this thing more seriously. I regularly hear people say "it's just a flu, bro." It's sad.

It is. We have a few days before the parade, and longer before ComicCon. Hopefully they get cancelled.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
With the US closing it's border for EU people I guess Canada will do the same otherwise they will use Canada as a way to cross the US border.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
With the US closing it's border for EU people I guess Canada will do the same otherwise they will use Canada as a way to cross the US border.

I mean, that isn't much different that crossing over into the UK then flying to the US.

It just shows how shortsighted this decision was.

EDIT: also, as mentioned in the other thread, people have to wait for 14 days after leaving an "afflicted" country before entering the US regardless.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that isn't much different that crossing over into the UK then flying to the US.

It just shows how shortsighted this decision was.

He's probably planning on the UK to block them. Still Canada is pretty much a joke country on that front. TVA/LCN were at the last flight form Italy to YUL and they are not even screening passengers arriving. Jesus.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wouldn't the US be able to deny entry to anyone based on which country they're from or traveled through?

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
All Quebec clinics that can do the test deffer to the 811 phone number.

The 811 number has been busy all day and callers are unable to get through

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
The time to do what Italy is doing is as soon as possible. The doubling time is 6 days-ish. I'm sure many people have heard that tale about starting with a dollar on the first day of the month and getting it doubled every day? You're a millionaire well before the end of the month.

In my opinion you need to go to extremes to shut down transmission as much as possible. Ban all travel. Ban all large gatherings. People won't take it seriously until it's already too late. Another good reference is the old flash game Pandemic II. You're winning if you're Madagascar.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, a day AFTER Singh's tweet so tell me how what he tweeted was wrong? Don't get me wrong, Singh is constantly saying stupid shit but that tweet was not one of them.

Get someone to drop bags of food at the person's door and walk away, person inside can open door and bring it inside?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not for nothing, but what should the opposition parties be doing? lol
Apparently shut up and fall in line.
Are you under the impression that just because they are the opposition party, they must oppose everything the government does?

Especially when they are just pathetically and transparently pointing fingers in vague ways just to score political points...

Maybe it'd be good if they elaborated on what exactly is wrong about what they're doing. 🤷‍♀️ You know, assuming this opposition actually has the public's interest at heart and not just getting their digs in.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Get someone to drop bags of food at the person's door and walk away, person inside can open door and bring it inside?
Who's paying those delivery people? Trudeau said he's pulling out all the stops but I guess that's one stop too far.

Are you under the impression that just because they are the opposition party, they must oppose everything the government does?

Especially when they are just pathetically and transparently pointing fingers in vague ways just to score political points...
Please point out what is vague about Singh's tweet about help for those without sick days (which means sick pay for self isolation). He was clear. Also, 55% (less if you're over the max) is nice but can still screw people over.

Oct 25, 2017
Who's paying those delivery people? Trudeau said he's pulling out all the stops but I guess that's one stop too far.

Please point out what is vague about Singh's tweet about help for those without sick days (which means sick pay for self isolation). He was clear. Also, 55% (less if you're over the max) is nice but can still screw people over.

Well hopefully you have a friend/relative that can go to the store for you

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

I guess they don't get credit for supporting the ban on conversion therapy then?

It's a legitimate question, especially for those working precarious jobs like part time service jobs or god forbid, relying on companies like Uber to make a living where I'm not even sure if you qualify for EI benefits (or if you even pay EI through Uber).

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
What about those that don't?

Grocery stores deliver. If there's none in your area, call your city help line. Failing that, try other public services.

Pretty sure this is just stuff to ask whoever you contact in the first place to get tested and self quarantine anyways. They have the most knowledge and I'm sure procedures are rapidly evolving.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Italy keep pharmacies and grocery stores open? I'm sure there are procedures to enter but it's not like you're under house arrest. If you need food get food. Wear a mask and gloves if you have to.

I remember reading someone under quarantine was even allowed to walk their dog as long as it's quick.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Need some advice here:

Currently in Morocco for vacation but we're coming back earlier now due to how bad the coronavirus situation is getting internationally. Returning on the 15th now instead of the 20th.

One of our connecting flights back to Toronto was New York, via Paris. With US now rejecting European flights, we rerouted our flights from Paris to Toronto directly.

Would we still need to self-quarantine when we arrive at Toronto on the 15th?

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Need some advice here:

Currently in Morocco for vacation but we're coming back earlier now due to how bad the coronavirus situation is getting internationally. Returning on the 15th now instead of the 20th.

One of our connecting flights back to Toronto was New York, via Paris. With US now rejecting European flights, we rerouted our flights from Paris to Toronto directly.

You better. Quarantining is for the benefit of others, not yourself

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Need some advice here:

Depending om your province, i would suggest calling their hotline to see if you can get tested first to get a confirmation

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't that something under the province's control? Doug Ford famously reduced paid sick days as one of his first acts.

For long term leave, people would have to go on medical leave.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that something under the province's control? Doug Ford famously reduced paid sick days as one of his first acts.

For long term leave, people would have to go on medical leave.

People make fun of Americans for not knowing what the executive can and can not do, but it seems like people here in Canada also don't know what are under federal or provincial control.

Oct 25, 2017
You'd be crazy to leave the country right now, who the hell knows what restrictions may snap into place whereever you go and they may change the policy on requiring quarantine when you plan to come back.....