• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Relations between Beijing and Ottawa are at crisis point after a Canadian man was sentenced to death by a Chinese court, a former Canadian ambassador to China told CNN.

Canada's foreign ministry issued a travel warning to its citizens in China over "the risk of arbitrary enforcement of local laws" late Monday, in the wake of the death sentence handed to Robert Lloyd Schellenberg during a one-day retrial in the city of Dalian.

Schellenberg had initially appealed a 15-year prison sentence for being an accessory in a plot to smuggle more than 222 kilograms (489.4 pounds) of methamphetamine from the northeastern port city to Australia in November 2014. But during the retrial, the court sided with the prosecution, which claimed to have uncovered new evidence proving Schellenberg's principal role in the case.

The decision comes against the backdrop of a spiraling diplomatic dispute between the two countries following the arrest of Meng Wanzhou, a senior executive from the Chinese tech firm Huawei in Vancouver on December 1.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/15/asia/china-canada-crisis-diplomat-intl/index.html

China on Tuesday issued a travel advisory for Canada, warning its citizens to "fully evaluate risks" and exercise caution when traveling there.

The foreign ministry's consular affairs department, in the advisory issued on its official WeChat account, cited the "arbitrary detention" of a Chinese national in Canada at the request of a "third-party country".
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-canada-warning/china-issues-travel-warning-for-canada-after-arbitrary-detention-of-national-idUSKCN1P90ZV

Last edited:

thisisamerica

Jan 9, 2019
User warned: trolling and derailing with inflammatory comparison
This situation feels like this

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
This situation feels like this

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
Definitely not. China escalated this because the US requested Canada arrest Huawei's CFO due to alleged sanction violations.

Also dumb because US has been rallying against Huawei for some time along with Trump's trade war and China lashes out at Canada for just following a prior agreement.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah. Gotta be sure to warn people about Canada. Between the bagged milk and people being nice at you it's a god damned minefield compared to China......

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ottawa should've done this after the first Canadian was detained there.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No need to exaggerate about America being a fascist country. Last I checked random civillians were not being institutionalized for wrong think like they do in China.
Well the US does have gay-conversion camps, though they're not government funded afaik. But yeah, I wouldn't say the US is a fascist country like China or Russia is.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Well the US does have gay-conversion camps, though they're not government funded afaik. But yeah, I wouldn't say the US is a fascist country like China or Russia is.

Oh absolutely culturally there is a LOT of room to grow, gay conversion camps are a great example of something that shouldnt exist but does.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Canada will never frivolously detain any Chinese citizen but China can detain any Canadian citizen for any reason.

Yup, that's the main difference. One country legitimately means it when they give the warning cause the other one is a petty dictatorship run by Winnie the Pooh

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure thing China, I'm reeeeaaall scared of travelling to fucking Canada 😂

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
222 kg of meth?

I know death penalty is barbaric, but I can't exactly feel too bad for the guy if he was truly complicit.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Ya no worries there. Countries like China are among the last places on Earth I would travel to.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Can we stop pulling the "both sides" shit for shitty things Canada and US does and equate it to what China is doing? You can criticize both without making it seem like some pot calling the kettle black scenario

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
222 kg of meth?

I know death penalty is barbaric, but I can't exactly feel too bad for the guy if he was truly complicit.

The keyword is "truly". It's China. They can make up any kind of accusation about you for whatever reason if there's some gain for a politician/oligarch. And they will.

I wouldn't be surprised if the person in question is just an unlucky guy who caught in the crossfire.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The keyword is "truly". It's China. They can make up any kind of accusation about you for whatever reason if there's some gain for a politician/oligarch. And they will.

I wouldn't be surprised if the person in question is just an unlucky guy who caught in the crossfire.
That guy is a known meth dealer here in Canada, so it's likely he did have it on him. Maybe not a 1/4 ton and not worthy of the death penalty.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No need to exaggerate about America being a fascist country. Last I checked random civillians were not being institutionalized for wrong think like they do in China.
It's not systematic but it's not so bright either
https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/...-and-titus-lunter-detained-by-ice-in-seattle/
https://kotaku.com/magic-the-gathering-artists-denied-entry-to-u-s-deta-1828693925
(same story, I gave two articles)

We could also talk about children in cages. It's not as bad as China but I would never travel to the US in its current state.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I didn't realise his charge was being an accessory. That would explain why he got 15 the first time.