• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
We are? This is the first I've heard of it. This is something I've wanted for ages!

It's not enough IMO, but essentially a start. Labels required on homeopathy related items that clearly state they are not guaranteed at all to work, stopping of foreign aid to countries that try to push homeopathy onto their citizens(so that our money isn't going into the wrong path), further crackdowns by Health Canada locally and online for not just homeopathy but any "medicine" not approved/supported by Health Canada as a treatment for COVID.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
It's not enough IMO, but essentially a start. Labels required on homeopathy related items that clearly state they are not guaranteed at all to work, stopping of foreign aid to countries that try to push homeopathy onto their citizens(so that our money isn't going into the wrong path), further crackdowns by Health Canada locally and online for not just homeopathy but any "medicine" not approved/supported by Health Canada as a treatment for COVID.
Ah, yeah, if it was up to me I'd be full on banning that crap. But this is still an improvement and I will take it.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Why stop at COVID-19? Make it illegal to spread misinformation, period.
Making it illegal to unintentionally spread incorrect information would upend the entire criminal law, involve really rethinking the Charter (and our entire concept of rights, for that matter) and completely paralyze speech in this country.

It's an idea so catastrophic that I can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
This seems like a fine course of action when rational people are the ones delineating truth and fiction. Hopefully Trump's fascist administration don't get any ideas from their Canadian neigbors.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Making it illegal to unintentionally spread incorrect information would upend the entire criminal law, involve really rethinking the Charter (and our entire concept of rights, for that matter) and completely paralyze speech in this country.

It's an idea so catastrophic that I can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

Yeah but they should stop people intentionally spreading incorrect information.

I could see that being difficult to prove in court, but there's definitely a lot of people intentionally spreading lies to further their agenda.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Considering we already have laws in place that states what isn't covered under free speech in Canada, this is a pretty easy amendment.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but they should stop people intentionally spreading incorrect information.

I could see that being difficult to prove in court, but there's definitely a lot of people intentionally spreading lies to further their agenda.
Criminalizing lying in the abstract would also be extremely hazardous to speech and would, again, involve radically changing how we conceptualize our own rights.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Hope that this kind of law goes well on Canada, here in Spain everyone is taking it as "an attack to free speech".

It sucks.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Criminalizing lying in the abstract would also be extremely hazardous to speech and would, again, involve radically changing how we conceptualize our own rights.

Yeah that's occurred to me.

But if something isn't done to combat the massive (intentional) lies being spread online then democracy as we know it is dead and so are human rights.

People are being bombarded with bullshit on all sides. Truth matters less and less as time goes on.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's occurred to me.

But if something isn't done to combat the massive (intentional) lies being spread online then democracy as we know it is dead and so are human rights.

People are being bombarded with bullshit on all sides. Truth matters less and less as time goes on.
The right to say something that isn't true in a private context is pretty fundamental. Wiping that out entirely would dramatically alter society. Hell, basically every child and adult would become a criminal overnight.

It also engages a lot of issues that crop up in defamation except now instead of talking about money you're talking about liberty. What do you do when the truth is ambiguous but the intent to lie is clear? What controls the exercise of this power if an unscrupulous (read: conservative) government gets elected? What kind of people/organizations would still feel sufficiently indemnified against the possibility of criminal sanctions when levying criticism? What would happen to satire?

There are plenty of good reasons that the criminalization of speech is done very sparingly. If you overstep even a little bit, the consequences tend to be quite harsh.