• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can you run Windows 11?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully once MS see the pitiful number of PCs that have Windows 11 installed vs Windows 10, they drop this nonsense and just let people install it as an upgrade from Windows 10.
Y'all realize this is a DIY echo chamber, right?

The average consumer who is afraid to touch the BIOS and makes up the vast majority of the market also has an OEM PC. If they bought it in the last 3 years, they're on a supported CPU with TPM 2.0 enabled. TPM enabled out of the box has been a Microsoft requirement to be OEM certified since the Windows 10 release (or thereabouts, I'm not sure of the exact timing). Microsoft surely has data on what percentage of their users are on a supported CPU; I highly doubt the adoption rate will shock them. They know what they're doing.

Literally every new laptop (which makes up the bulk of consumer PC sales) since mid-2018 or so is compatible.
Windows Hello doesnt work on a DIY PC anyways
It does, and if you use a PIN you use Windows Hello.
This TPM requirement locks out my macbook pro 2020 as well from ever using windows 11 with bootcamp...
This is admittedly unfortunate, but it seems bootcamp's days were numbered anyway; I kinda doubt Apple was going to support it for too long after they stopped selling Intel Macs. I was hoping Windows 11 ARM would be free of the Qualcomm OEM licensing deal so it could run on M1 Macs, but instead it looks like Microsoft doesn't care at all for this niche.
say what now?

www.theverge.com

Windows 11 is free, but your CPU might not be officially supported

TPM and CPU changes have led to some confusion.
I assume this is part of their passwordless push. You can't really find a decent non-desktop without one anyway.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
RIP in peace gaming PC(i7 6700).

That processor list(due to the TPM requirement) is ridiculous.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Sadly our only hope will be the hackers that bypass this requirement so our pcs don't end up as e-waste.

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all need to calm down. In the end you will all be able to install it after clicking "OK" on some "Proceed on your own risk" window.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
well if it makes anyone feel better, I was running that leaked Windows 11 build last week in VMware on my Ryzen 5 1600.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
Y'all need to calm down. In the end you will all be able to install it after clicking "OK" on some "Proceed on your own risk" window.
You're probably right, doesn't change the fact that Microsoft's messaging has been utter shit so naturally a lot of people will be confused.

Dude's really put out spec requirements then said "actually no, your CPU which meets those specs can't run our new OS".

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
The latest tweet from Tom Warren, pointing to the removal of the so called soft floor, leads me to believe that the PC Health app was in fact correct? If so RIP Ryzen 5 1st gen.

There's no reason why a chip like that wouldn't run Win 11, these generational cutoff points are so arbitrary and don't make sense to users.

MS woke up today and chose chaos lol.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Had no idea what TPM was until looking through this thread and doing a bit of research on how to determine if you have it. Apparently I don't, although I haven't yet checked my BIOS settings to make sure. Running a machine from 2012 that is OEM, but apparently the model prior to implementation. Really curious if Microsoft will still allow upgrades to 11 despite this. Granted, we don't lose support until 2025, but despite mine's age, I don't really plan to get a new computer by then.

If there's no way to update, I guess I'll finally fully switch over to Linux and hope that Proton continues to improve.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

The average consumer who is afraid to touch the BIOS and makes up the vast majority of the market also has an OEM PC. If they bought it in the last 3 years, they're on a supported CPU with TPM 2.0 enabled. TPM enabled out of the box has been a Microsoft requirement to be OEM certified since the Windows 10 release (or thereabouts, I'm not sure of the exact timing). Microsoft surely has data on what percentage of their users are on a supported CPU; I highly doubt the adoption rate will shock them. They know what they're doing.

Literally every new laptop (which makes up the bulk of consumer PC sales) since mid-2018 or so is compatible.

Average consumers having W11 compatible hardware is just one part here - they also need to actually upgrade to W11. Have you seen devices from normal users? There are always countless update/upgrade notifications, and they always skip those. When W10 came out, I was the one in my circle of friends and relatives who pushed people to upgrade, and I did many upgrades myself. I don't think I'm going to do this again when I myself can't even use W11. Pissing off PC gamers and power users will have a huge effect on word of mouth and adoption rates in those families.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017

Not everyone upgrades their PC or laptop every 3 years - in fact I'd say relatively few people probably upgrade that frequently.

It should have been a simple "if you can run Windows 10, you can run Windows 11". Instead, the messaging has been a complete mess. If they want to lock out certain features when you're actually in the OS unless you have the hardware - fine. They did that with Windows Hello already. There's no reason to lock out the entire OS like they appear to be doing.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
When I run the tool it says I don't quality because of no secure boot. wtf is secure boot?
You gotta change it in your BIOS, could be a pain in the ass depending on how your hard drive/SSD is partitioned (GPT or MBR). I wouldn't bother making changes if you're not confident with changing BIOS settings and all that, this thing doesn't come out until later this year so there's no rush.

EDIT: I didn't actually explain what secure boot is lol. It checks code signatures at launch, it can detect malware and prevent it from working. It's a security feature.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
What shows how artifical of a requirement these requirements are (especially the tpm requirement)is the fact you are going to be able run preview builds on non supported hardware but when the rtm comes out you have to go back to windows 10.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
What shows how artifical of a requirement these requirements are (especially the tpm requirement)is the fact you are going to be able run preview builds on non supported hardware but when the rtm comes out you have to go back to windows 10.
Wow... so the requirements weren't even needed at all in that case. Although, I wonder if that means after release you could just stay in Insider Preview builds in the slow ring or something, and not have to have TPM enabled. Hmm. May look into that if so.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Nope! My seven year old Core i5 4690K and ASRock Z97 Pro 4 motherboard does not support SecureBoot and thus is unable to get Windows 11.

Fortunately for me this last week I bought a new Core i7-10700K on a Prime Day sale along with a new MSI motherboard so I think I should be okay going forward! I'll put together the new PC this weekend.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Nope! My seven year old Core i5 4690K and ASRock Z97 Pro 4 motherboard does not support SecureBoot and thus is unable to get Windows 11.

Fortunately for me this last week I bought a new Core i7-10700K on a Prime Day sale along with a new MSI motherboard so I think I should be okay going forward! I'll put together the new PC this weekend.

My 5yr old ThinkPad meets all of the requirements for Windows 11, but if the CPU restrictions hold, isn't compatible because of an arbitrary, artificial CPU restriction.

It's pure bullshit.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My TPM only supports 1.2. I don't have a gaming laptop. I'm just using a Dell Latitude e7450 but dell doesn't support upgrading the TPM to 2.0 for this model.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
My i5-5500K is no bueno. No TPM for me.

This PC was built in 2017 and still runs fine. I don't really have a desire to upgrade at this time…guess I won't be running W11 for awhile.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Wow... so the requirements weren't even needed at all in that case. Although, I wonder if that means after release you could just stay in Insider Preview builds in the slow ring or something, and not have to have TPM enabled. Hmm. May look into that if so.

Look at this:

alpGH2M.png

Another sign of how artificial these requirements are. We will let you run our OS to beta test for us on unsupported hardware but when the RTM comes out you gotta hop off the train... wtf? That photo is from someone running the leaked iso that got it installed with the current workarounds on there.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Mine says it works after I enabled TPM. I don't know if I should even care, though. I'll probably wait a bit to see if it's actually worth "upgrading" to 11, or if we're looking at another Vista/8.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I really have to wonder if Microsoft put Phil Harrison in charge of the Windows division.

With how much of a clusterfuck this has turned into, I'm almost expecting a

"We have a product for existing customers, it's called Windows 10" line at this point.

MS is going to knee-cap this OS before it even gets off the ground.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
The latest update for Windows has bricked my wifi for the past six months so I've always had to roll back.

I'm hoping the jump to Windows 11 will fix it. It's a small hope, but maybe it'll work.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I checked my boot sector and it is indeed a legacy MBR boot sector.

Damn, I was sure that I set the bios to UEFI exclusive mode. It must be using a hybrid mode on the bios.

Any reliable ways to convert MBR to GPT? Can it be done in Macrium Reflect Free?

Yeah i will not use Win11
ETzbUSM.png

I can not change from Legacy, MBR and Secure Boot without wiping my computer. Unless you can install it anyway by 'bypassing' recommended stuff during the install.

i just followed the steps here and my computer which was on MBR(Legacy) is now on GPT(UEFI) with no issues. Didn't have to do a clean install or anything. I just used the command prompt from the advanced start up screen.

www.maketecheasier.com

How to Convert Legacy BIOS to UEFI in Windows - Make Tech Easier

Microsoft introduced an MBR2GPT tool that lets you convert from Legacy BIOS to UEFI with just two commands. Here is how you can do so.

I did back up my data beforehand just in case something were to happen though.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
You gotta change it in your BIOS, could be a pain in the ass depending on how your hard drive/SSD is partitioned (GPT or MBR). I wouldn't bother making changes if you're not confident with changing BIOS settings and all that, this thing doesn't come out until later this year so there's no rush.

EDIT: I didn't actually explain what secure boot is lol. It checks code signatures at launch, it can detect malware and prevent it from working. It's a security feature.

Yea I can't find it but then again my shit is ancient. I'm running an x79 lga 2011 i7 3820. I currently have a system on order because of the video card shortage with a 5800x/3070 TI, Asus TUF x570 so while it still bothers me that I can't just run Windows 11 out of the box, i'll be able to in about a month.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Yea I can't find it but then again my shit is ancient. I'm running an x79 lga 2011 i7 3820. I currently have a system on order because of the video card shortage with a 5800x/3070 TI, Asus TUF x570 so while it still bothers me that I can't just run Windows 11 out of the box, i'll be able to in about a month.

x79 should be more than enough to run this, I have one of those boards paired with a 4ghz 8 core xeon monster cpu.. super powerful cpu that rivals more modern tech. Just makes me sad.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone upgrades their PC or laptop every 3 years - in fact I'd say relatively few people probably upgrade that frequently.
I never said otherwise. My point was that Microsoft almost certainly has better data on this than we do, so expecting them to be blindsided by the adoption rate is silly. They know likely rather precisely how much they're limiting upgrade potential; I'd be shocked if it wasn't an informed decision.
Average consumers having W11 compatible hardware is just one part here - they also need to actually upgrade to W11. Have you seen devices from normal users? There are always countless update/upgrade notifications, and they always skip those. When W10 came out, I was the one in my circle of friends and relatives who pushed people to upgrade, and I did many upgrades myself. I don't think I'm going to do this again when I myself can't even use W11. Pissing off PC gamers and power users will have a huge effect on word of mouth and adoption rates in those families.
Microsoft has data on this as well. Again, I'm not saying the adoption rate won't be low; I'm saying it won't be so low it catches Microsoft off guard and forces a pivot like Vista and 8 did.

Besides, their current model doesn't even really need immediate adoption. I don't think MS cares too much about whether you're on Windows 10 or Windows 11 for the next four years, as long as you're on one of them. They have a built-in crossover period to get the majority of users on 11.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
x79 should be more than enough to run this, I have one of those boards paired with a 4ghz 8 core xeon monster cpu.. super powerful cpu that rivals more modern tech. Just makes me sad.
it's not about how ''powerful'' a cpu is it's about the feature set of said cpu beside this shit is nearly 10 years old

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
it's not about how ''powerful'' a cpu is it's about the feature set of said cpu beside this shit is nearly 10 years old

Tell me that my macbook pro 2020 is 10 years old... with a 10th gen core i7...

That and the tech hasnt changed much since skylake, every cpu upto just recently has been a revision of skylake tech. (skylake came out in 2015 and not all those will run windows 11..)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Look at this:

alpGH2M.png

Another sign of how artificial these requirements are. We will let you run our OS to beta test for us on unsupported hardware but when the RTM comes out you gotta hop off the train... wtf? That photo is from someone running the leaked iso that got it installed with the current workarounds on there.

Is it possible that Windows 11 insider builds released prior to the official release of Windows 11 will stay usable, but then if the user wants to upgrade to Windows 11 release, they will fail the installation / upgrade, and then they can't reinstall Windows 11 unless they have a backup insider build?

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Is it possible that Windows 11 insider builds released prior to the official release of Windows 11 will stay usable, but then if the user wants to upgrade to Windows 11 release, they will fail the installation / upgrade, and then they can't reinstall Windows 11 unless they have a backup insider build?
my guess like normal previews builds that they will have a timebomb on them... after a certain date you cant continue to use it.

The community is hard at work to reverse engineer things to get around these requirements, like they did to windows 8:
forums.mydigitallife.net

Windows 8 CPU Feature Patch (Bypass Windows 8 CPU feature checks)

Windows 8 CPU Feature Patch (Bypass Windows 8 CPU feature checks) [IMG] W8CPUFeaturePatch can be used to bypass the checks for the availability...

just might be harder this time, who knows.. or maybe MS might back down..

Oct 28, 2017
I ran the PC health check, and my laptop can't run Windows 11, but it doesn't say specifically which component(s) are incompatible. How do I check this?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
my guess like normal previews builds that they will have a timebomb on them... after a certain date you cant continue to use it.

The community is hard at work to reverse engineer things to get around these requirements, like they did to windows 8:
forums.mydigitallife.net

Windows 8 CPU Feature Patch (Bypass Windows 8 CPU feature checks)

Windows 8 CPU Feature Patch (Bypass Windows 8 CPU feature checks) [IMG] W8CPUFeaturePatch can be used to bypass the checks for the availability...

just might be harder this time, who knows.. or maybe MS might back down..
I miss My Digital Life... Surprised it's still kicking around.