• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yep. I wore a suit every day for 4 years in boarding school, and then wore a suit again for three years as a teacher. Got a lot of practice.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I do the Four-In-Hand, I use to do the Half Windsor but I forgot how to do that one now and I am too lazy to look it up.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I can tie a half-windsor but I'd need to follow a guide to do a full-windsor. It's (k)not too hard once you've done it a few times.

When I was in highschool, though, I literally tied the knot once and kept it that way for the full five years.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
No and i have maybe worn one like 2 - 3 times in my life in total and i am 33. Only had one at stuff like some graduations, dads 60 year celebration .. and yeah dont know what else.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
I went to a Private school that required all students to wear ties, unless playing sport.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Ties ain't shit and wtf is their purpose anyway?

I can't unless I look it up on YouTube and I'm a grown ass man :(

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Easily. Four in hand is my go-to, but Pratt is easy as well.

I like wearing ties. My girl likes me wearing ties.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I am familiar with the corporate noose. I pretty much only wear one to weddings, funerals and horse races these days.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. And i have no intention to learn since i have no intention of ever wearing one. Ever.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Half-Windsor is the only one I know. Haven't bothered to learn the rest cause I'm not a politician or lawyer.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
i can't and i dont want to. i dont like alot of the clothing we wear today because i dont see the use in it or think it can be improved. but imo no piece of clothing is more useless than a tie. its just fabric wrapped tightly around the neck for some reason and it just sits there flopping.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can. Had to learn it when I was in the military. But It's been years since I've tied one and I since I don't have to wear a tie to work I will probably never tie one again. Thank god!

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I do a half-Windsor I think.

Either way, if you're shown how to do it once you can pretty much figure out how to do it even if you do it your own way.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Had to wear a tie at school so can tie most knots and been to enough Black Tie functions that I can tie a passable bow tie too. People look such twats when they unclip their ready made bow tie and leave it hanging around there neck.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Had to wear one at school from year 5 onwards, so yeah. I do a full windsor but basically only tie the tie when I first get it, or if it goes to shit for some reason. I leave my ties tied on the hanger, just for convenience.

It always takes me two or three goes to get the length just right when I do them though: you can't have a tie that's a touch too short, or a touch too long. With a full windsor the tie will get slightly longer over time however, as the knot itself gets tighter (assuming you don't re-tie it every day, but just take it on and off). I much prefer the tighter knot you get over time though, since it stops loosening when you wear it (so you never really have to readjust it after you put it on in the morning).

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I learned how to by googling "how to tie a tie" many years ago. And then lots of practice. At this point I have the proper starting positions down properly etc so I don't have to start over.
I'm sure some people tie nicer ties with the advanced techniques but I don't think people care after all these years? Especially in business.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
yeah but i always have to do it multiple times to get it the right length.

honestly i think i want some zipper ties. i see my dad wearing them and they look clean and i can't even tell lol

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Full Windsor, Half Windsor, Victoria Knot for when I want a small knot (And that is every time it isn't a super formal event. I also think it looks better for fit people than the Windsor) and Eldredge Knot which was a fucking pain in the ass to learn just for kicks because I don't think I've ever worn one.

But I think I do more knots for other people than I do for myself. I loathe wearing ties.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
NOW here's a challenge ... Can you tie a tie on another person WITHOUT a mirror?

I don't use a mirror, but tying another person's tie is like trying to write backwards.
I usually use a (full) windsor knot, which is easy to tie once you've done it a few times.
It keeps a neat shape and is easily adjustable.
Unfortunately, it means my friends expect me to be able to tie it for them and think I must be trying to make them look stupid when it comes out a mess. You need to tie them tight and it's hard to do that with your hand around someone else's neck, using the wrong hands and the wrong perspective.
It's usually easier to tie it on myself, then loosen it, take it off and give it to them.

Four-in-hand reminds me of school and makes people look like schoolboys reluctantly being made to wear a tie. Half-windor's okay, but no easier than a full windsor. Both of them go lopsided if you tighten/adjust them badly, while the full windsor keeps a symmetrical shape no matter how much you re-adjust it.

I've occasionally done a fancier knot for a wedding or something, like the trinity knot:
That definitely took a few goes to get right.

The care I put into tying a tie increased significantly after I switched to a job where I didn't have to wear one.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It wasn't very hard. Honestly the hardest part is purchasing a tie that is well-constructed and takes a variety of knots in a stylish way.

Now tying a bow tie on the other hand, hoooooo boy. I think it took me like a full week of sporadic practice to get that down. It's as easy as tying shoelaces now though. Having a harder time finding outfits I can fit them into, really. Even with a matte/rough/textured fabric it easily feels way too much like a party outfit for daily wear.