• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I knew how to tie a tie in second grade (Catholic School). I don't do it too much anymore but I dig wearing a tie on the few occasions that I do

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
What's up with all these people saying it's a skill everyone needs to know? It's not. I wear a tie every day, but know lots of people who don't have to in their everyday life. All they have to do is watch a youtube video for two minutes before an event where they need one.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I am a 33 years old guy and don't have a clue how to tie a neck tie! Then again, I don't think I have ever worn a suit in my life so that's fine.

Last edited:

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I think I've hit the point where I never have to wear a tie again, so glad to leave it behind. I'm tall and overweight so they always looked stupidly short on me.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I wear clip on ones to formal occasions and black tie events because I'm too lazy to re-learn how to do it every six months when I actually need to wear one. Everyone I tell that to berates me for it but I'm frequently complimented on how well my outfits fit and no one has ever once called me out on it. IDK, if it ain't broke...

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I can only do a full windsor - if you don't end up with a nice dimple under the knot, you're knot doing it right.

Had to wear one for a few years when i worked for a corporate bank

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, but just the windsor knot. Youtube is actually a great help in this regard. After watching a couple of tutorials I managed to nail it every time.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Me and my workgroup were taking some professional headshots together the other day and when I showed up to work with a tie on (I usually wear button ups sans tie to work) one of my coworkers seemed genuinely surprised I could tie a tie. She's got a bunch of boys which has me a bit worried. I'm a grown ass man, was the look I gave her.

Anyway, are there any dudes here that can't tie a tie? If you can't it's not difficult to learn. I consider it a basic life skill that is useful for numerous occasions throughout a person's life.

I can tie a bowtie but not a proper tie. Should probably remedy that one day. Seems more handy lol

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Nope I can't I tried for years to learn how and I just can't do it so I get someone else to do it for me

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know a few knots, but honestly, I wear a tie maybe 10 times a year tops, and I wouldn't fault anyone for not knowing how to.
You can get through life having to wear one every few years, so it would make sense to never learn.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
For all the ERA peeps out there tying half windsors.

I also use a half windsor 99% of the time.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I know how to tie a half Windsor and a full (it's barely harder) and a bow tie. I had to spend an entire evening on YouTube to learn how to do it.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I can do a full Windsor knot with my eyes closed.

Did it every day for two years. It's all muscle memory now.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, we had to have a tie at school so I had to learn. I did have to tie a graduate students tie for him before he went to interviews for faculty positions once.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
If you do not know, use this as a life-changing moment and learn.

[I only learned for my wedding three months ago]

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yes. I can't remember who taught me. It was a long time ago! Ties are really uncomfortable to wear, but they do look nice when you're trying to dress snazzy.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
In the UK many school uniforms include a tie, so most kids know how to tie one from a relatively early age.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I've been able to tie a neck tie since I was 8 years old. I still remember my Dad teaching me like it was yesterday.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I just do the four-in-hand and that one's easy as shit. Wrap the wider end around the thinner twice and pull it through the final loop.

iu
This is what I do, I don't bother with a windsor any more even on job interviews and stuff like that.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't until I had to wear one for a job after HS. Sloppy half wind but, does the job for funeral/weddings

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Used to wear a full Windsor everyday when I worked in the city of London. I fucking hate ties - they're dumb as fuck, but I'll never forget how to tie one.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
hell yeah. Haven't had occasion to wear one in a few years, but I love ties. I have a collection of big ugly polyester ones from the 70s in my closet.