• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for the screenshot which you thinks has DLSS ENABLED.

• Screenshot A

Votes: 294 29.1%
  • Screenshot B

Votes: 718 70.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Poll created

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
EDIT: Yeah it was B lol. See threadmark

Just a quick experiment I wanted to do. Just for fun, it's obviously not scientific in any way shape or form.

Here are two completely uncompressed 1440p screenshots of Death Stranding. They are taken with Steam, which has an optional feature which allows you to create an uncompressed copy of every screenshot in addition to the usual compressed one it usually takes. They are uploaded to cubeupload, which is an image hosting site that applies NO compression to images.

One has DLSS enabled and set to Quality, which means it's running at 1706x960. The other is just native resolution (2560x1440) with TAA. The only reason why I know which is which is because I deliberately put the ladder on Sam's side instead of his back for one of the two cases, otherwise I would have already forgotten which is which lol.

So... can you tell which is which? The poll closes in 1 day. After that, I'll say which is which obviously.

Screenshot A is below this line

11904602020123021553.png

Screenshot B is below this line

11904602020123021555.png

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
B is a bit blurrier so I voted for that but I'm fully aware that in some cases DLSS can actually look clearer than native.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would say DLSS is in Shot B because of the entrails hanging off the bridge in the background have an anti-alias effect on them that DLSS is good at providing.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
B's grass (specifically by the pole close to the character) might look a little bit different, but I'm not able to swap back and forth fast to really inspect.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Think it's B and that's what I voted but I'm guessing this is a trick question.

The top of the cases looks a little funky and blurry in B.

Oct 29, 2017
Grass is less sharp in one of them. I imagine the sharper one is native, but I understand DLSS gives you higher quality hair in various games, so I may be wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
B looks less sharp to me, so by virtue of DF pointing out DLSS can look sharper, gonna say the DLSS one is screenshot A.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I read hair looked better in Death Stranding with DLSS on so I looked at the hair and chose A.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you seen Digital Foundry, it'd be easy to tell, due to the motion vector errors

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I've heard DLSS can lead to a better image when not moving, but looking at those two A looks better so I'll say that's the one that's Native while B is the DLSS one as it's a bit blurier and not as sharp with the details. Some of it could be that the screenshots aren't of the same timestamp (Wind, Lights, Camera & Character idle pose aren't aligned)

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
B is a lot blurrier on the face and the text on the case at a quick glance, if that's native there's something wrong in the settings it looks pretty bad.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Despite being an unintended side effect of DLSS, I kind of like those trails. Fits with the aesthetic of the game.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Isnt the real question how many frames better it runs with DLSS?

Anyway, looks like B to me so voted A

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Add rain to the comparison, and you'll see a major difference. The rain modeling in DS is the loudest exception to DLSS's otherwise sterling results.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I disabled being able to change the vote and being able to see the results without voting btw. It might be more interesting that way

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
B has better anti-aliasing, but A is sharper and more detailed if you look closely. So: B is DLSS, i would think.

But yeah, overall in this instance the difference isn't large.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Screenshot A looks more detailed to me.

No idea which is DLSS though, since there's a lot of talk that it can even look better than native at times. Interested to see the result =)

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
A looks crisper but has more jagged edges. B is the opposite. I vote B.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Trails are a dead giveaway. You should close this thread and make one without them because it's ridiculous how good dlss is in DS and I bet people would have a hard time with it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It's the A even you can be tricked to think that the motion blur effects are artifacts but instead is DLSS that is removing details.

You can see it by looking at the building in the background, in the A screen they are rounded.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
DLSS is easier to spot in motion isn't it? DLSS is better in Death Stranding because the TAA in that game is terrible.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Avoided reading the comments before voting for B. I can see barely a difference, but the floating effects on the left look a bit blurry on the B screenshot whereas they're way sharper on the A. I'm not sure if DLSS would add or remove the blur effect, but I'm guessing it'd add it. Could go either way though.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Game runs that well? My monitor is 120hz. Think I could maintain that at 3440x1440 with a 3070? Doom Eternal can but that game has incredible performance.
Well, I don't know about 3440x1440. But I also got a 3070. At 2560x1440 with no DLSS it runs at 100~120 FPS depending on the area. With DLSS set to Quality, it runs at a rock solid 141 FPS (my custom framerate cap in order to stay within the gsync range) with absolutely no dips.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I'd say B, although with that, I'll still say that both look incredible. If I wasn't comparing two high-res images side by side, I most definetely wouldn't be able to notice any differences whatsoever.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't know about 3440x1440. But I also got a 3070. At 2560x1440 with no DLSS it runs at 100~120 FPS depending on the area. With DLSS set to Quality, it runs at a rock solid 141 FPS (my custom framerate cap in order to stay within the gsync range) with absolutely no dips.
Sorry to side track this topic but can you explain the custom gsync range? I've seen this before and don't quite understand. My monitor is gync so should I be setting my frame cap to 57 if targeting 60fps or 117 if targeting 120fps?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
b is DLSS, it is blurrier generally, but I think probably the easiest way to tell is the jaggies on the railing in shot A. TAA doesn't clean it up but DLSS does.

So yea, generally slightly blurrier image, but less missed edges.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Man I don't know what to choose they both look amazing. All I know is I hope all games support dlss.