• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think we will ever see a Nintendo multiverse in a game?

• Yes, it is inevitable.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • No way, Nintendo is too conservative.

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • Who knows with Nintendo?

Votes: 47 37.6%

• Total voters

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. Do you think Nintendo would ever consider putting one of their characters into a situation where they would be jumping around the worlds of their other first party games?

I think this would work amazingly well with someone like Mario. Instead of the Odyssey thing, or the painting thing, or the whatever thing from Sunshine, have Mario jumping into Hyrule, space for Metroid/Star Fox, one of the regions of Pokemon, a war torn land from Fire Emblem, etc.

images

What do you think? Is it a possibility?

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
It will eventually happen, it's only a matter of time.

Fam, i'm sure OP knows smash is a thing.... And i think they want a adventure platformer game, which only happened in Brawl.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted Super Smash Bros RPG as a kid. Subspace Emissary felt like a taste of what could be.

A bit like Kingdom Hearts where all the villians team up (and make fun of K Rool's name)

OP
OP
MrMegaMill

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
Wouldn't we consider Smash a crossover/new property?

Multiverse would be a game from a pre-established series jumping through worlds.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I don't want to struggle with the moral implications of Link catching Zora and Gorons with Pokeballs tbh
But I would love a Mario (along the lines of Paper Mario) story crossover with other universes. Paper Mario felt super self aware at times, I think that's a necessary ingredient for this to work.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
No and I'm glad they won't. Let separate works of fiction exist in their own worlds.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
*in another game?

I hope so. I still love those scenes from Subspace Emissary in Brawl.

tumblr_mv5cyk54rK1rlav6ao1_500.gif
tumblr_inline_ncgnkfIC571spel73.gif

tumblr_mwybd8cDys1qc1ojho1_400.gifv
Dknv.gif

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Smash is their multiverse.
They may extend that idea to Mario Kart which already has crossovers.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't we consider Smash a crossover/new property?

Multiverse would be a game from a pre-established series jumping through worlds.

I'm not sure what you're expecting then, if Smash doesn't count.

Any game would have to play radically differently to most any other Nintendo series to work in this kind of concept, and would be tied to a "new" property like "Smash bros." even if it has very little completely new.

Smash bros. goes has many stages from other game worlds for obvious reasons. The only other close example you can reasonably expect is the DLC cups from Mario Kart 8 and some of the new battle arenas in Mario Kart 8 deluxe, which are based on other Nintendo properties.

I don't imagine any other games will do this though.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
They already did this 25 years ago.

Links-Awakening-1-e1394785193451.jpg

I can definitely see this become more of a thing in the future now that Smash Bros but also Mario Kart has been increasingly mixing IP.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Just waiting for Nintendo to fully realize the Earthbound series in 3D as an open world action RPG. Have you seen how beautiful it's respective stages are on Smash? I would love to walk around those cities.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I entertained the idea that Nintendo could have done something like that for a Super Mario Odyssey 2. Not necessarily for the dollar signs of crossover appeal, but because Mario's capture mechanic has a whole lot of untapped potential even outside of Mario's world. Like imagining Mario platforming through Inkopolis while borrowing some Splatoon mechanics. Felt like Odyssey was already a world-tour, Galaxy already did space, so alternate worlds definitely seemed like it could be a next step.

I'm not sure how they'd utilize that kind of concept for a full game though, I can only really imagine a few non-Mario worlds be reconstructed to benefit a platformer that can be upheld holistically.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even leaving aside Smash because it's a cross over fighter, Subspace Emissary in Brawl seems like it is pretty much this already.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Kingdom Hearts but I wish Nintendo would make something like that with their characters because I dont find Smash interesting at all.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Smash is all I need for first party crossover tbh. I wasn't even a big fan of the MK8 DLC stuff that had other Nintendo properties. Kind of want IPs to stand on their own personally

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Nintendo would ever do this from a "lore" perspective. We can barely get consistent lore in Mario games. And Smash's stuff never goes terribly deep either (helps that Subspace Emissary had no dialogue).

But more crossovers? Sure. Mario Kart already did it.

(Much like the Link's Awakening post above, I still contend the best way to do this would be through a shared dream world run by Wart. Though they'd have to set it apart from Kirby's own Dream Land)

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Brawl was a start toward this. Great cutscenes but boringly assembled level-to-level gameplay. I'd love if they explored it and expanded it more in a future Smash game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The world deserves another shot at a Subspace Emissary. World of Light came so close...

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
subspace emissary was so fucking hype when it came out, I'd watch that one cutscene over and over again

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Smash is already this, really. Also, the Mario franchise already shares its universe with Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong.

The only other thing that could make sense is Metroid and F-Zero (and maybe Star Fox?) taking place in the same universe, but it's not really something I'm clamoring for.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a sequel to Kid Icarus uprising would be a nice choice. Especially since they share enemies with other NES games and references
Even if it's played like a joke as in (oh we're not supposed to be here, we have to go back) The humor would help not take it seriously without raising stakes at all

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe once Sakurai is done with Smash he'll make the grand Nintendoverse adventure RPG we've all been clamoring for.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I feel like a sequel to Kid Icarus uprising would be a nice choice. Especially since they share enemies with other NES games and references
Even if it's played like a joke as in (oh we're not supposed to be here, we have to go back) The humor would help not take it seriously without raising stakes at all
They already did a joke like that in Uprising.