• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can you put warm food in the fridge

• Aye ye can

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Naw ye cannae

Votes: 61 27.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Food that is steaming hot needs be let to cool (to the point of not giving off steam), before being sealed / covered and placed in the fridge.

This is according to food safe guidelines.

To circumvent this, simply put the food straight in the fridge without covering, then cover when it is cool enough to be safe to do so.

Theres a danger zone of temperature, then a time range for food being at that temperature that promotes pathogen growth etc.

Food that is hot and steaming and covered immediately and put into the fridge will stay hot longer (because it is covered), and this is why food safe discourages this.

These guidelines are designed in such a way to avoid mistakes by lowest common denominator dumbies.

(Reference: my 10 years as a cook in the food service industry with managerial level food safe certification).

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The faster you get it to a cool temp, the longer it will keep. If you leave it out to cool first, it's less work for your fridge, but the food is moving more quickly toward spoilage

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Growing up I always thought this western craze for not leaving food out for 1-2 hours was so weird. If I cook something at noon or even morning. That shit is staying out on the counter all day.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless you let it sit outside for like 2 days straight or you actively shit in it or whatever, "bacteria growing" is never going to be a problem.
This is wrong.
It really depends on what food we're talking about, but generally, keeping food lukewarm for even a few hours is an unnecessary risk that you should not take.
Food safety standards in the US generally stipulate that food that has been left between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit for more than 2 hours should be thrown away.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My fridge has blast processing but for cooling. It's a neat trick to rapidly cool shopping just brought home or the freezer for rapid freeze etc. It detects rising temps due to hot food and blasts that shit onto the same temperature level as all other food stuffs.

Technically food will cool more rapidly the greater the temperature difference as well, it's a weird science thing that is constantly argued about why it occurs.

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
The technically correct way, at least when working in food service, is to make sure it gets from hot to 70 degrees within 2 hours, and then to 41 or lower within 4 hours. Just putting it straight in the fridge usually won't cool it rapidly enough.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm definitely the most "cavalier" of all the people I know with food. I know people who will throw away an entire plate of leftovers if they forget to put it away more than a few hours later. I'll eat it the next day even if it's stayed out overnight. I guess our stomachs are adjusted the ways they are. I almost never get ill, especially not stomach bugs etc.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really funny that I read this here.

I work in food and have a few certifications and am in school for my Dietary Manager certification as well and, while my job is in large part paperwork and management, I have surprisingly little hands-on time with food. I recently had a staff member stop me from putting food directly from a steam table into a fridge. I won't say I'm some master of food safety but it is very important to me. If I have one strength I'd say I know what I'm not 100% sure about, so I'm not afraid to research.

PREEMPTIVE EDIT: I typed this big long thing but I can't state the info as eloquently as the FDA-

Cooling foods
When cooling foods, the FDA Food Code recommends a two-stage cooling process. First, the food should be cooled from 135° to 70° degrees Fahrenheit in two hours or less. Second, the food should be cooled from 70° to 40° Fahrenheit in four hours or less. Total cooling should not exceed six hours.
Large batches of food, such as a large pot of stew, should not be cooled in one large container in a refrigerator. Doing so does not allow the food to cool fast enough and keeps the food in the temperature danger zone for too long and allows pathogens to grow to an unsafe level.
An inexpensive way to properly cool large batches of food is to divide it into smaller containers. Keep the containers uncovered while cooling to prevent extra moisture, but be sure to cover it when it has finished cooling.

Warming foods

When reheating foods that will be hot held, the food should be heated to 165° Fahrenheit or higher. Foods should reach 165° F in two hours or less. Because foods must be reheated in a quick manner, it is important to use appropriate cooking or rethermalizing equipment such as a microwave, stove, or oven. Do not attempt to reheat food for hot holding in warming trays or other hot-holding equipment because these devices will not warm up the food fast enough and will allow pathogens to grow.

These methods of time and temperature control effectively prevent bacteria growth. With good controls, bacteria growth can be limited and TCS foods kept safe.

TL/DR- I ended up putting the food directly from the steam table into the fridge because it was already individually portioned out and would be at the safe temp in plenty of time.

I really do encourage everyone to learn some basic food safety. You'd be surprised what you'll learn. Fascinating subject. I need to get off my ass and work on school stuff. It's so overwhelming to work 50-60 hours a week and do school as well. My hat's off to anyone who even tries.

It isn't a huge problem putting warm food in the fridge but if you are taking a stock or soup off the hob and putting it straight in the fridge you are doing it wrong.
Very true. It's recommended to portion it down or use an ice paddle. Hell, put the pot in an ice bath and stir the shit out of it, even.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really funny that I read this here.

I work in food and have a few certifications and am in school for my Dietary Manager certification as well and, while my job is in large part paperwork and management, I have surprisingly little hands-on time with food. I recently had a staff member stop me from putting food directly from a steam table into a fridge. I won't say I'm some master of food safety but it is very important to me. If I have one strength I'd say I know what I'm not 100% sure about, so I'm not afraid to research.

PREEMPTIVE EDIT: I typed this big long thing but I can't state the info as eloquently as the FDA-

Cooling foods
When cooling foods, the FDA Food Code recommends a two-stage cooling process. First, the food should be cooled from 135° to 70° degrees Fahrenheit in two hours or less. Second, the food should be cooled from 70° to 40° Fahrenheit in four hours or less. Total cooling should not exceed six hours.
Large batches of food, such as a large pot of stew, should not be cooled in one large container in a refrigerator. Doing so does not allow the food to cool fast enough and keeps the food in the temperature danger zone for too long and allows pathogens to grow to an unsafe level.
An inexpensive way to properly cool large batches of food is to divide it into smaller containers. Keep the containers uncovered while cooling to prevent extra moisture, but be sure to cover it when it has finished cooling.

Warming foods

When reheating foods that will be hot held, the food should be heated to 165° Fahrenheit or higher. Foods should reach 165° F in two hours or less. Because foods must be reheated in a quick manner, it is important to use appropriate cooking or rethermalizing equipment such as a microwave, stove, or oven. Do not attempt to reheat food for hot holding in warming trays or other hot-holding equipment because these devices will not warm up the food fast enough and will allow pathogens to grow.

These methods of time and temperature control effectively prevent bacteria growth. With good controls, bacteria growth can be limited and TCS foods kept safe.

TL/DR- I ended up putting the food directly from the steam table into the fridge because it was already individually portioned out and would be at the safe temp in plenty of time.

I really do encourage everyone to learn some basic food safety. You'd be surprised what you'll learn. Fascinating subject. I need to get off my ass and work on school stuff. It's so overwhelming to work 50-60 hours a week and do school as well. My hat's off to anyone who even tries.

Very true. It's recommended to portion it down or use an ice paddle. Hell, put the pot in an ice bath and stir the shit out of it, even.
Thanks for this detailed post. Reading through this thread was making my SafeServ senses tingle.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
My mom taught me to let the food cool in the open to let the steam out, particularly for rice, so that it's not sitting all wet in the fridge.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this detailed post. Reading through this thread was making my SafeServ senses tingle.
Thank you. When I got my Servsafe manager's my buddy encouraged me to get my proctor cert as well. I've never used it and I'm not even sure the process to proctor someone currently, though I wouldn't mind if the opportunity presented itself. It would be a great refresher for my knowledge, as well.

There's just so much I know I don't know it gets intimidating. Like if a staff member asked me the proper temp to cook something to, I'd only be doing a semi-educated guess, but I know enough to know that there is a proper temp to cook it to for at least I believe 15 seconds, and to Google for further information. I've studied all this crap, but since I don't use it very often it just falls right out of my head.

I'd say that's probably the primary reason once I, hopefully if ever, get my CDM I probably won't leverage that into a food service director position. It's in my career path, I just don't feel like I have the confidence or killer instinct to be that level. If there is one thing that school has taught me so far, is that I make a pretty good second banana and for now I'm okay with that.

Oct 27, 2017
Let it cool down for a little bit first as otherwise you heat up your refrigerator. It's not going to become covered in bacteria sitting on a plate for 10-15 minutes.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i usually take chilled coffee to work and put it in hot the night before and nothing has ever happened.

Dec 31, 2017
Some people say it's just an issue if it's in Tupperware. Something like a roast or chicken put into Tupperware hot and with the lid closed insulates the meat so it takes a long time to cool down which could allow more bacterial growth.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't put hot food in the fridge, people. It's a waste of energy and your fridge will definitely break much sooner.

Nothing wrong with letting your food cool down for a half an hour or even a bit longer (depends somewhat on the food obviously). Bacteria growth in that timespan is minimal and negligible. Just don't let it sit outside for a day or two if possible (some food will surive even that, but not your potato salad or cooked meat etc.)

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
When I say hot, I don't mean piping hot / steaming.

I was raised that food should be allowed to cool to room temperature right the way through before it can be put in the fridge. It seems like most people I know were raised the same way.

But I've just Googled it, and it seems like half the internet (including dedicated food sites) agree with the above, but the other half (including dedicated food sites) think it's a total bullshit myth, and that you definitely can and should put warm food in the fridge to prevent bacteria growth.

So what say you Era? Any smartie pants on the site? What do you personally do?

This came about because I've been waiting up for my leftover lasagne to cool down.

doh doesn't allow that so.. I'll follow the doh standards at home as well