• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
I personally can't. Maybe 4 or 5 hours but after that I'm sick of it and simply have to go out or do something productive. I tried to force it once, played Nier Automata for 20 hours in 2 days over a weekend and even with a break where I went for a long walk I really didn't enjoy that, thought that it would've been better if I played it in smaller chunks. But what about you?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not any more. If I were really engrossed - and more importantly had the free time! - I could probably do 6-8 hours on a Saturday or Sunday, split into various sessions.

When I was a teenager some friends and I did around 14 hours non-stop of Pete Sampras Tennis on the Megadrive until about 6am. That'd probably finish me off these days.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's relatively rare in the fairly long list of games that I tend to try out, but occasionally there is a game that engages me mentally so much that I don't mind giving it a full day of play.

Just off the top of my head, I had no issue doing all-day sessions with Ghost of Tsushima and Psychonauts 2 in the past year.

But the vast majority of games that I try out don't get more than 1 or 2 hour sessions of play, and I won't juggle more than 2 games in a single day -- feels too overwhelming to me nowadays to try and mentally track progress across more than two different titles at once.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I absolutely can, but alas, with a full time job and two kids I rarely get the opportunity anymore. However, there are some weekends that the kids go visit the grandparents and my wife wants to work on her art / writing, so she happily sprawls out on the couch and draws while I get to game all day. Those days are absolute heaven.

Just recently I had one of those days, exploring around Iki Island. I think it's the fact that it's a rare treat rather than an every day occurrence that prevents me from feeling guilty about wasting the day away.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I used to, but not anymore. It would be too mind-numbing, and I'd want to balance it with other activities.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I typically don't start gaming till 9 ish PM, as I try to be productive during my days off.

However, if I don't need to be up the next day, playing till 3-5 AM is pretty normal.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
No, I just can't. Not even when I was a kid or teenager. At most, back then, like 6 to 8 hours. These days I hardly play a hour on weekdays (except Friday) and two or, if possible, three hours on weekends. There are more interesting stuff to do than just play videogames.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Not without breaks.
I can and do so once or twice a year at LAN parties, but we have regular, longer breaks.

As part of my usualy routine, no, it's just not possible, I get sick of it.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I still can, usually with breaks in between, but with work and doing chores around the house I have no time to do so.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I can't. I'll feel horrible either mentally or get a headache or nauseated or something.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can if I'm really sucked into a game. That said it's still a productive session where I cook lunch/dinner, do laundry, take my dog out, etc.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
When I was in my teens and early 20s, easily. Now I just start feeling kind of lazy if I game for more than a couple hours in a session. If something really, really grabs me, I can blow 4 hours in a day or so but that's a pretty good limit.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a marathon session! Any time you spend enjoying something certainly isn't wasted.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Nope.

I usually do 3 sessions of ~3h with like a hour pause in between if I have the day free.

Though I do start to feel a bit tired by the last session and notice I don't enjoy my playtime as much so I think the sweet spot for me is just 2 sessions.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I like the game enough, yes. It's rare for me to like the game enough though so I'll eventually start doing something else.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
User Warned: Inappropriate Comparison of Mental Health Issues
Of course not. And I would consider myself sick or with some psychological problem if I could.

Oct 30, 2017
I have this thing I have to put into my eye to allow me to see (think like a contact lens but incredibly painful as it squishes your eyeball) and I can only wear it an hour or two a day. So I have to prioritise what I do with it in so I wish I could, like back in my teenage years but now? Nope.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately(*) yes, comes with the neuro-diverse territory I guess. It sure doesn't help that games and books are also a wonderful escapism. I usually try to schedule random stuff into my free time because otherwise I most likely will play VG for most of the day.

(*) "Unfortunately" doesn't mean I don't enjoy gaming, I just wish it would be easier to just not to play.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If it was my job, absolutely. But playing games "all day" could only happen on the weekend, and I've always got too much going on for that to happen.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I could back in the day.. Dunno why even but now when I play like 1/2 hours max I get a bit itchy and need to do something else

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Nope. After an hour I start feeling fatigue and need a break. More than that I might go nuts.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I need breaks and, usually, switching games to do that. I can't play the same thing for that long anymore.

I do have many other hobbies, though, so I very rarely spend a whole day just playing.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Absolutely not. I can manage two hours at most before I feel like I need to go and do something else - and even that only happens a few times a year. More often than not, I'm gaming for an hour, late at night, after work.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I can lose a day to games no problem. They help me relax after working as many hours as i do.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Only if my crew's on and I'm playing socially. The time flies because we just chat.

I can't play games solo all day. Burns me out.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game. If I'm in the mood, I can get sucked into a game of CK3 or Civ and sit there for like 8+ hours, barely noticing time pass. Then when I'm done, I suddenly realize I'm starving and haven't been to the bathroom in hours.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Not without breaks and switching games. With breaks, 8 hours max.

There aren't many games I would want to play all day outside of GTA, Red Dead, maybe Gran Turismo.
I can easily play a new GTA game for 12 hours on release day.

Oct 26, 2017
Ignoring other scheduling considerations, it heavily depends on the game.
There's only a small set of games I can comfortably dump an entire waking day worth of time into in one sitting, mostly Pokemon and Super Robot Wars.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
No way, definitely not anymore. I get tired and would feel overwhelmed, too. I played Animal Crossing a lot last year during the launch and lockdown, but even then I had to take breaks.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
Mentally yes, physically no. My hands and wrists don't allow long play sessions anymore. Take care of your hands folks.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
No, even if I had a day free of any responsibilities, my ass will now scream at me to get off the chair, after 3 some hours, give or take.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and I've done it last Saturday with Tales of Arise, the previous Saturday AND Sunday with Pathfinder: WoTR AND the previouse Sat+Sun with Muramasa lol.

It's obviously not non-stop, I cook and eat, usually clean up a bit, try to walk around the apartment occasionally, browse the internet and so on, just small breaks here and there, but I can easily spend the vast majority of a day playing a single game if it's engaging enough. It's not super common, though, and recent game releases have just happened to hit that sweet spot for me. Before these I spent a whole day playing R&C and before that... Not sure, something last year I think.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I do it far too often, tbh.

Though I usually switch between different games. I can't play the same game for more than a few hours at most unless I'm like really sucked into it.

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the game, It's rare but now and again I'll get so engrossed that it basically takes over my free time for a while. The Witcher 3 was like this, it coincided with time off work and I had pretty much nothing else to do. I find it's most common with this type of game where there's no natural breaks such as end of levels, the game just keeps going and there always multiple things to do at any one time.
That said, I do need to frequently get up and move around or take longer breaks where I'll shut the system off and go for a walk or even just nip out to the shop. I'll more than likely be returning to the game within the hour but I need these breaks.
I really don't get how some folk physically sit there for hours on end, some even to the point where they're pissing in bottles.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If I don´t have any other obligations/appointments ? Sure.
When does this happens ? Rarely, to no not say never.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
I would be able to play all day without any responsibilities. But with young kids now? Nah, that ship has sailed lol.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
No way. After about 3 continuous hours, I start to feel mentally zapped and need a long breather. Any longer than 3 hours, I usually walk away feeling depressed and anxious. On my days off, I'll wake up early and play about 3 hours. Take a break to do a bunch of other stuff. Then come back around 5pm to play until dinner. During the week, I don't really play more than an hour or two before bed.