• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I thought that was the point: life goes on, sometimes the bad guys win, and things don't just tie up neatly. Marlo's fate was also a nice bonus, as he actually wins and gets what he thinks he wants (and what String wanted), but it turns out it wasn't what he wanted, really. And this is all interspersed with other shitty outcomes, like Rawls getting a promotion, the politician guy becoming governor, and Daniels leaving law enforcement. Yet Baltimore lives on.
Well yeah,i doubt there would have been a happy ending, but the point is that wasnt where they intended to end the series, they had more planned, and the show ended there merely because the critical reception had fallen off. I would say season 4 of thr wire is its high point, not season 5.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Breaking Bad is the obvious answer. Another season would've been too much.
The last season was too much.

The Wire is the answer, every season is as relevant as the rest, and quality remains stable.

PS: if you are gonna quote just me to tell me there's a season of The Wire you like less than the rest, I don't care.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think some people are misunderstanding the whole "ended at their prime AND with a complete ending" premise of the thread.

I still feel Angel doesn't count, IMO.
The finale was really good and a fitting end for the characters, but the episodes leading up to it were rushed to hell. It was clear they had big plans for season 6 and were happy to take their time building up to it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last season was too much.

The Wire is the answer, every season is as relevant as the rest, and quality remains stable.

PS: if you are gonna quote just me to tell me there's a season of The Wire you like less than the rest, I don't care.

I'm going to quote you and tell you that they had a season 6 planned, so no, it didn't end at their prime. I don't see how anybody can say a show was ended in its prime, when the last season had the worst ratings, worst critical reception, and wasn't even planned to be the final season.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
KzA3rpM.jpg

Arguably the finest first season of television ever produced. Just general wom couldn't draw anyone to Cinemax.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Americans
Vice Principals

Luther could have been on the list if they just left it at 4 series. That 5th series was hot garbage.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mortal kombat the tv show ended right around when it was getting pretty good. really shitty ending too.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Americans
Vice Principals

Luther could have been on the list if they just left it at 4 series. That 5th series was hot garbage.

The last couple seasons of Luther were pretty messy and not in a good way. I feel bad being a friend of Luther's, its like having a death sentence waiting to happen.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The Wire. Season 5 might not be a fan favourite, but it was needed to wrap everything up the "worst" of The Wire is still great.

The Shield is just perfectly timed in this respect, every season builds to the point everything just feels like it natually comes to a head, and that ending itself is perfect

Last edited:

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
The Office is the best example I can think of. British shows seem to do a better job in general of not dragging things out. Not that they don't have their long running shows too, but I can think of quite a few amazing and short BBC series:

The Office
Blackadder
The Mighty Boosh
The Young Ones
Faulty Towers

The Dick Van Dyke Show
Yeah, also The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Green Acres.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
GOT has enough material (story) for 5 more seasons.....i suppose they knew this and cancelled it. Looks like hbo didnt want to get into situation where main actors wanted to move on to bigger things and ofcourse d&d.

Nah, the writers wanted to run away to do Star Wars movies so they bailed. HBO wanted to keep going.

Beatofficer

Oct 25, 2017
Pushing Daisies

Amazing show that basically got murdered by the writers strike. Bryan Fuller has the worst look with TV shows. Wonderfalls was amazing too and I believe it didn't even last a full season.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Spectacular Spider- Man
We needed MORE, DAMMIT!
Life on Mars was perfect.

I feel like a lot of British TV series would have good endings considering they don't get dragged for 10 seasons because of good ratings and are just there to tell a story.

Being Human
My Mad Fat Diary
Skins
Happy Valley
Skins totally flubbed it's last two seasons though and two of the three films (Pure and Fire) were terrible and offered miserable endings for the best characters in the series.

Jan 31, 2018
Futurama, the first go around. It was already starting to drop in quality when it was cancelled. When it came back, it just continued the trend.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Babylon 5, though that might be cheating and you can be forgiven for thinking the last season floundered a bit.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me will never forgive HBO for this...

This would have been my suggestion. Season 2 literally ends with something to lead up to the "Finale" for the storylines...then the show isn't renewed.

My other suggestion would either be Journeyman (alternate take on Quantum Leap, basically) or Awake (Crime Procedural with the detective living in 2 alternate realities at the same time depending on when he goes to sleep in one).
I loved both, and both were cancelled after 1 season, even though they performed well.

Hulohot

Banned
Jan 1, 2019
Ash Vs Evil Dead ending on season 3. A short, sweet run that was basically perfect, but it could have gone on for another 2 seasons I'm sure. I'm sad there will be no more.