• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Lately I've being just writing none stop songs and melodies, always being involved with music all my life but after I lost my job I just got caught deep into it

Now I'm not looking to just in a finger snap go making jingles for the world, still need to do a lot (instruments, learn how to sing somewhat)

but I'm just wondering before I start investing is something like writing Jingles, or even songs for let's say, school plays is such a thing a possibility?

I only ask becauseif if we're talking about raw melodies it's something I feel is super easy for me to do and easily match with fitting lyrics

Tried Googling this stuff and I run into stupid ads

Also if something around this line of work is possible in this day and age, what would you think be next best steps?

Everybody's option welcome not just looking for musical knowledged

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Sure. Commercials. Or get on a show like Adventure Time and you'll be writing jingles for every episode.

One of my favorite artists, Jeff Rosenstock, has his punk band, but his day job is doing the music for Craig of the Creek.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many have. But that was also in the 50s through 70s or so. Not sure if it's as much today especially with how little artists seem to make in general and how they're usually taken advantage of.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My partner's cousin makes a living composing music for ad's and such. Probably only so many jobs like it to be had though...

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
There are numerous ways to do that kind of work professionally. You can work for an ad agency/library music company, or there are these services where you pay a fee to have your works listed and made available for licensing to their clients (basically ad companies, TV/radio production companies, etc) and if you're lucky enough to get picked you'll earn some hefty royalties from it. The latter basically amounts to lottery though. And on top of all of this you are pretty much expected to have the experience and chops to record and produce all of your material yourself.

If you're determined to make a living from it, it's a hustle like any other job. Oh, and be prepared to make a lot of ukelele music since that's only what clients are interested in these days.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i think the contemporary "jingle writer" is probably represented by a bigger company (AXS, Juice, KPM) that has their library on APM Music or similar. i have to listen to a lot of this stuff for work and much of it is "sounds like that popular Arcade Fire song but isn't" or "sounds like that popular emo-rap song but isn't" -- pastiches on current musical trends.

i guess another option is being an employee of a boutique audio studio that specializes in catchy commercial music, like AntFood.

Oh, and be prepared to make a lot of ukelele music since that's only what clients are interested in these days.

Loool yes

OP
OP
Irishmantis

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Wow thanks for the replies

So basically it's possible but it's A LOT harder than it was 20 years ago

And if I was to commit to something like this it be GrInd?

Like I'm trying to think of when the last time I heard a catchy jingle

There are numerous ways to do that kind of work professionally. You can work for an ad agency/library music company, or there are these services where you pay a fee to have your works listed and made available for licensing to their clients (basically ad companies, TV/radio production companies, etc) and if you're lucky enough to get picked you'll earn some hefty royalties from it. The latter basically amounts to lottery though. And on top of all of this you are pretty much expected to have the experience and chops to record and produce all of your material yourself.

If you're determined to make a living from it, it's a hustle like any other job. Oh, and be prepared to make a lot of ukelele music since that's only what clients are interested in these days.
Already scouting price ranges on ukelele's lol... come to think of it these are involved in most memorable jingles that shoot to head

Last edited: